What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Derrick Henry, BAL (1 Viewer)

Derrick Henry rushed 26 times for 215 yards and two touchdowns in the Titans' Week 14 win over the Jaguars. 

Henry added two receptions for seven additional yards. Henry's 215 yards rushing were the second most of his increasingly prolific career, while the 200-yard day was his fourth. Henry was ripping chunk gains from the opening whistle, including a 36-yard touchdown near the end of the first half. Essentially untouched up the middle, Henry was 1-on-1 with the free safety, and you can guess what happened next. Henry's longest run was a 47-yarder where he displayed insane vision, cutting inside before bouncing it back out. Now up to a ridiculous 1,532 yards with three games to go, Henry needs to average 156 yards down the stretch to post the eighth 2,000-yard rushing campaign in NFL history. He will start with the pathetic Lions in Week 15 before equally advantageous matchups with the Packers and Texans. 

- Rotoworld

Last edited by a moderator:
I know Detroit's D isn't any better but as the highest scoring team going up against the D.Hanry team, I hope he falls back to "human" levels next week.

Derrick Henry needs to average 156 rushing yards per game over the season's final three weeks to eclipse 2,000 yards on the year.

On Sunday against Jacksonville, Henry became the first player in NFL history with four career games of at least 200 rushing yards and two rushing touchdowns. His demolition of the Jaguars leaves Henry as one of seven running backs in league history with more than 1,500 rushing yards and 14 or more touchdowns through 13 games. Head coach Mike Vrabel rested Henry in the fourth quarter; otherwise he might have cracked 300 yards. Henry's chance to become the eighth player to eclipse 2,000 yards on the ground could be fantastic for fantasy managers in the season's final weeks. Vrabel will almost certainly feed Henry even in lopsided games to get him across the historic yardage milestone. Henry just so happens to play three of the league's worst run defenses over the next three weeks: Detroit in Week 15, Green Bay in Week 16, and Houston in Week 17. He has a real shot to set the single-season rushing yardage record (2,105 yards), held by Eric Dickerson for 36 years. 

SOURCE: BroadwaySportsMedia.com 

Dec 14, 2020, 8:41 AM ET

Derrick Henry rushed 24 times for 147 yards and one touchdown in the Titans' Week 15 win over the Lions.

He caught both of his pass-game targets for five yards. Henry looked to be well on his way to another huge afternoon after capping an easy opening drive with a three-yard touchdown, but Henry never found the end zone again, as he watched Ryan Tannehill rush for 17- and three-yard scores before backup RB Darrynton Evans caught a three-yarder in the fourth quarter. Henry's ceiling is so high that 24-147-1 almost feels like a letdown. But he gets another juicy draw in Week 16 at the Packers. Henry needs 321 yards over the final two weeks for a 2,000-yard rushing campaign.

Dec 20, 2020, 5:00 PM ET

Derrick Henry rushed 23 times for 98 yards in Week 16 against the Packers. 

He wasn't targeted in the passing game. The Packers held Henry to just 35 yards rushing on 11 carries in the first half. The Titans tried to get him going after that, but it was too late with them chasing a three score lead in the fourth quarter. This was a down game for Henry’s standards, as he’s had at least 100 yards in five of the last six games. Henry and the Titans will look to clinch the AFC South in Week 17 against the Texans.

Dec 27, 2020, 11:22 PM ET

Derrick Henry rushed 34 times for 250 yards and two touchdowns in the Titans' Week 17 win over the Texans. 

With the monster effort — Henry's 250 yards tied for the 13th most in a single game — Henry became just the eighth player in NFL history to reach 2,000 yards rushing on the season. His 2,027 are the fifth most ever, slotting him in between 1998 Terrell Davis and 1997 Barry Sanders. Today was Henry's third straight game against the Texans where he cleared 200 yards. Bill O'Brien's full-time replacement might want to work on the game plan. Henry heads into next Saturday's Wild Card showdown with the Ravens — a team he dismantled in the Divisional Round last year — averaging 5.36 yards per carry, and with 17 touchdowns in 16 games. 

- Rotoworld

Do we get apologies from all the horrible prognosticators who projected only 20 points for Henry week 17? I love that he rolled up 250 yards today and to those who were lambasting Bloom for last week you are all....(fill in the blank). For those keeping track, today was Henry's third 200+ yard game of the season.

Yeah, well, it would have been nice if he could have done that in W15 or W16. Two of his three times doing it were when I didn't have fantasy games, W14 with the bye and W17.

So when does Henry start to fall off a cliff because of high usage - do you think he has 2 or 3 elite years left?  I remember when Chris Johnson died, of course that had as much to do with getting paid and getting soft.  Adrian Peterson is a fluke.  Most of the other 2000'ers don't have a good long-term record after that.

So when does Henry start to fall off a cliff because of high usage - do you think he has 2 or 3 elite years left?  I remember when Chris Johnson died, of course that had as much to do with getting paid and getting soft.  Adrian Peterson is a fluke.  Most of the other 2000'ers don't have a good long-term record after that.
I give him one more season as an RB1.  Two max.  I'd be stunned if he's a top 10 RB for the next 3 seasons.

Do we get apologies from all the horrible prognosticators who projected only 20 points for Henry week 17? I love that he rolled up 250 yards today and to those who were lambasting Bloom for last week you are all....(fill in the blank). For those keeping track, today was Henry's third 200+ yard game of the season.
He stinks because he doesn't catch the ball. LOL.

OJ, Dickerson, AP, and Lewis all had some productive seasons after 2000, so maybe Henry can as well. I do think a drop off is likely though next season, but still see him as a RB1.

crushedspirit said:
OJ, Dickerson, AP, and Lewis all had some productive seasons after 2000, so maybe Henry can as well. I do think a drop off is likely though next season, but still see him as a RB1.
I honestly don’t see much of a drop off for the next two years. The dude is just...different. Have you seen his workout regimen? And he has a chance to go down as one of the greatest of all time, and I think he wants nothing more than that. Plus, while he has absorbed an extremely heavy workload the last couple years, he was mostly playing behind Demarco his first couple of years in Nashville. Hopefully saved a little tread on those tires. 

I honestly don’t see much of a drop off for the next two years. The dude is just...different. Have you seen his workout regimen? And he has a chance to go down as one of the greatest of all time, and I think he wants nothing more than that. Plus, while he has absorbed an extremely heavy workload the last couple years, he was mostly playing behind Demarco his first couple of years in Nashville. Hopefully saved a little tread on those tires. 
And the fact that most of his production is off of quick handoffs and pitches helps him stay healthy. Instead of being lined up by the defense  while waiting for a pass to float to him, he can secure the ball early and keep his eyes downfield. And if he gets to the next level it's not him that's getting lined up, it's the defender.

Yeah this is where I am at with Henry as well. I'm going to hold him until proven otherwise. I don't care if I lose whatever trade value he may have had before some drop off. But if anyone can have longevity at the position, it is him. 

I also think that he has work to do to make the hall of fame because of the slow start for his career, so that is added motivation to continue dominating for years to come.

Plus, while he has absorbed an extremely heavy workload the last couple years, he was mostly playing behind Demarco his first couple of years in Nashville. Hopefully saved a little tread on those tires. 
To argue the other side, that means he is older than the usual 2,000 yd rusher - "fresher legs" or not, as you get older, you get slower and your body breaks down, especially with his type of bruising running style.  Didn't someone compare his running style to Marian Barbar? (loved him)  But he didn't last more than a few years.

To argue the other side, that means he is older than the usual 2,000 yd rusher - "fresher legs" or not, as you get older, you get slower and your body breaks down, especially with his type of bruising running style.  Didn't someone compare his running style to Marian Barbar? (loved him)  But he didn't last more than a few years.
Marion Barber? You mean the guy who never even had a 1000 yard rushing season? I’m not sure who compared him to Henry, but that’s offensive to the King. 

Marion Barber? You mean the guy who never even had a 1000 yard rushing season? I’m not sure who compared him to Henry, but that’s offensive to the King. 
Don't be stupid, no one compared Barber's career to Henry's.  It was about "running style", you know, the punishment of defenders type, doesn't shy away from contact, plows right into it.  As opposed to those that evade contact and even run out of bounds to avoid it, but it may prolong their career.  Barry Sanders strikes me as the avoider type - he probably got tackled hard twice in his whole career.

He retired because he wanted to, not because of injury.  He could have played a lot longer.  We are getting off topic now, so time to end this part of the debate.

I agree with this. Not inconceivable that Henry could have a career like Tomlinson; 7 years of 300 + carries and 3 years of 200+ carries. 

Henry so far has 2 years of 300+ carries and 1 year of 200+ carries. I guess you could combine his first two years as another 200+ carry year and he still could have 5-6 years of elite production if he stays healthy. He's a dynasty hold IMO.

I agree with this. Not inconceivable that Henry could have a career like Tomlinson; 7 years of 300 + carries and 3 years of 200+ carries. 

Henry so far has 2 years of 300+ carries and 1 year of 200+ carries. I guess you could combine his first two years as another 200+ carry year and he still could have 5-6 years of elite production if he stays healthy. He's a dynasty hold IMO.
Career carries aren't always the issue. If the Titans make deep, Henry could top 850 touches in 2 seasons.

That kind of workload is a ton for anyone. Larry Johnson had very few career carries before 2 pretty big years, and was never the same. Jamal Lewis and Ricky Williams both burned out from heavy use, despite being young. 

The problem with the tomlinson example, is that this was Henry's 5th season. Tomlinson already had 5 straight  300 carry seasons by this point and only had 2 good years after it, albeit 1 was his best.

I like Henry a ton, but I think it's more likely he peaked this season, and it's all downhill from here. Doesn't mean he'll suddenly suck, but I don't think it's a bad idea to sell this off-season if you can afford to.

Career carries aren't always the issue. If the Titans make deep, Henry could top 850 touches in 2 seasons.

That kind of workload is a ton for anyone. Larry Johnson had very few career carries before 2 pretty big years, and was never the same. Jamal Lewis and Ricky Williams both burned out from heavy use, despite being young. 

The problem with the tomlinson example, is that this was Henry's 5th season. Tomlinson already had 5 straight  300 carry seasons by this point and only had 2 good years after it, albeit 1 was his best.

I like Henry a ton, but I think it's more likely he peaked this season, and it's all downhill from here. Doesn't mean he'll suddenly suck, but I don't think it's a bad idea to sell this off-season if you can afford to.
I think the problem Henry dynasty owners have, myself included, is that they drafted him and waited and waited and waited for him to do what we all knew he could. Now that he’s doing it, I’ll be damned if I’m going to watch him do it on someone else’s team. 

So yes. It’s probably best to sell. But Henry is one guy that I am emotionally invested in and I’m gonna ride that big horse until they send him to the glue factory.

It is a lot of work and I don't think it is *bad* to move him, per se, but I think there is risk in doing it before he breaks Eric Dickerson's record, which I actually think he might consider within his reach. If he does maintain a "not suddenly sucking but technically downhill from 2020" pace for 2-4 years, I think it would be a mistake to have sold. Unless you really are rebuilding and can get a haul. I agree he has most likely had his best season. He is a guy that I think will be capable of having a 200 yard 2 TD game any given week for the next 2-4 years, though, and those years should still be RB1 seasons. I strongly disagree that it is "all downhill from here", though I agree the curve will be negative. I think the slope of that curve will be small enough that I really think he is more of a hold than a sell. I'm not selling.

I 100% acknowledge there is a risk with him as he gets older and gains more mileage. That is why I'm not going to target him in startups. Although I got him in like the 4th round last year in a couple.

I think the problem Henry dynasty owners have, myself included, is that they drafted him and waited and waited and waited for him to do what we all knew he could. Now that he’s doing it, I’ll be damned if I’m going to watch him do it on someone else’s team. 

So yes. It’s probably best to sell. But Henry is one guy that I am emotionally invested in and I’m gonna ride that big horse until they send him to the glue factory.
 Yeah my patience paid off (although I only drafted him as a rookie once), but I have him on a lot of teams and have defended him ever since he broke out (when they made him the feature back) and people were saying that he doesn't catch enough passes in PPR. I'm like so what? He is crushing it. Still true. Even as recently as this season in here someone was saying "but not in PPR". 

Anyway, I think HOF, Eric Dickerson and GOAT are all on his mind. Entirely likely his body doesn't hold up that long for some of that, but I do know nobody can handle him and this Titans team is going to be competitive for awhile. So long as he is bringing me ships I really don't care how much *value* I *might* be losing by holding instead of selling. 

travdogg said:

At least in my leagues, any one you want to trade him to will put an emphasis on the downside. 

Sure, if someone offers you 4 firsts or something out of the blue you have to consider it. But trying to sell would be really tough imo.

JoeJoe88 said:
I’m not so sure wear and tear from too many carries is what “burned out” Mr. Ricky...🚬🚬💨💨
One could argue the physical toll from the wear and tear is why he turned to that in the first place.

Derrick Henry rushed 18 times for 40 yards and added three receptions for 11 yards in the Titans' Wild Card loss to the Ravens.

The Ravens were simply ready for Tennessee's gameplan and took full advantage of their inability to pivot to a pass-heavy approach. Henry was taken down for a loss multiple times and his longest carry of the day was eight yards. Henry will still leave the 2020 season with his second consecutive rushing crown. He became the eighth player to top 2,000 rushing yards in a season. However, he'll likely remember the playoff loss more than individual accolades. Henry should enter the 2021 season as a top-five fantasy running back and likely deserves to be selected in the first half of the opening round of fantasy drafts.

- Rotoworld

An injury can derail anyone's career no matter how great, but so far, he has proven to be resilient to injuries and contrary to the claim that his style makes him jury prone, he actually is very adept at avoiding dangerous hits.  He tends to deal more damage than he suffers and he also uses stiff arms to avoid hard hits.  It would be foolhardy to expect another 2000 yard season although that is definitely possible. But I fully expect him to be in the 1000-1300 range for at least three to four more seasons and to continue scoring in double digits. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Right now, what is Henry's value in dynasty?  I'm trying to work out a deal involving him and have no feel.

I'm in a SF PPR startup and he's still on the board and we're at the 2.12 pick. I think work load and age are a legit concern if you are building a new team....

Derrick Henry has been named the Associated Press' Offensive Player of the Year. 

Offensive Player of the Year is frequently won by quarterbacks, though it is often used a back-door acknowledgment of special seasons by non-signal callers. Henry certainly had one of those in 2020, rushing for the fifth most yards in NFL history with 2,027. This, in the first year of a deal that was hotly debated. You may have heard that paying running backs has gone out of style. It's not usually the best allocation of resources, but Henry creates panic in opposing defenses the way few runners do. He frees up so much space for Ryan Tannehill to execute the Titans' play-action attack. Headed into his age-27 campaign, Henry is on a Hall-of-Fame trajectory. 

Feb 6, 2021, 9:44 PM ET

Users who are viewing this thread