What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Best lawnmower to buy (1 Viewer)

ghostguy123

Footballguy
1/2 acre, looking for a self propelled push mower, must have side discharge option.

I haven't bought one of these things in like 10 years, and the reviews I have read are all over the map. I will likely be buying at walmart or home depot since those seem to be the only places around me that sell lawnmowers.

Somewhere in the $300-400 range ideally. Recommendations?? :heart: :heart: :heart:

Just bought a Toro self propelled at lowes. Don't have the model number but it is the $369 model. Mulch, side discharge, or bag. They usually have a repair section and if you find the old guy that knows what he's talking about, you can ask what was wrong with it. Paid 300 for mine.

Mulches fantastic and actually cuts better than my old craftsman riding mower(doesn't get bogged down by thick grass). The self propelling part is pretty quick too. My wife used it saturday while I worked on the pool and she hates yardwork. Said it was real easy.

Just bought a Toro self propelled at lowes. Don't have the model number but it is the $369 model. Mulch, side discharge, or bag. They usually have a repair section and if you find the old guy that knows what he's talking about, you can ask what was wrong with it. Paid 300 for mine.

Mulches fantastic and actually cuts better than my old craftsman riding mower(doesn't get bogged down by thick grass). The self propelling part is pretty quick too. My wife used it saturday while I worked on the pool and she hates yardwork. Said it was real easy.
I have a craftsman self propelled with the side discharge. it works good but like you said it gets bogged in thick grass. I wish it had a mulcher that's definitely on my list for the next mower

I love my Worx battery mower. I get several 'mows' with each charge, but I have a smaller yard. It is nice not having to worry about gas and oil and dealing with the engine in the off season. It also has the ability to bag, mulch or side-discharge. They have one that is self-propelled, mine isn't, but it's not such a big deal.

There are other companies that have battery-based mowers.

I bought a Toro Recycler a couple of years ago. It cuts well, mulching, side discharge or bagging. The documentation said the mower will start on or by the third pull. I was skeptical, but it has been true thus far.

Don't get one that is front-wheel drive. That's what I got last year and the self-propel function barely works. No traction and it pulls to the right. Stick with good old rear wheel drive.

I've had my Honda self propelled side discharge mulching mower for about 10-12 years or so. It is the best piece of machinery I have ever owned. I have yet to do any maintenance whatsoever on it. No oil changes, no filter changes,no plugs, nothing. I leave old gas in it in the winter, it starts on at the most the 3rd pull every spring. During the summer, no more than 2 to get her going. I do plan on changing the oil and overall maintenance this year, but the thing is an absolute beast. I will never buy anything other than a Honda for a lawnmower again, and this thing isn't gonna die anytime soon.

I bought a Husqvarna AWD last spring for $500, it spent 6 weeks of this spring in the repair shop due to transmission failure. It has a poorly designed front cover that makes it impossible to remove all grass clippings without 20 minutes of dis-assembly. When it works, it runs really well and can handle any terrain. The Honda motor is great.

I bought a Lawnboy RWD mower this spring for $280 while the Husqvarna was in the shop. It was smaller and cheaper, and has a Kohler engine. The motor doesn't run all that well and seems to be cutting out at times. Other than that, it cuts really well and is so light, that the self propel moves the mower faster than I can walk behind.

Neither have the side discharge feature. Looking back I have nearly $800 invested in mowers. If I could do it over again, I would have bought the top of the line Honda and saved myself all this hassle.

I got a hood deal on a Honda from Northern Tool. They had like a $50 off coupon or something.

I've had a troy bilt for about 7 years, and I love it. It starts on the first pull every time, and it doesn't even need to be primed. I had a back injury at the end of the last mowing season, and it ended up sitting outside in my building with old gas in it all winter. I was a little worried about it, but it started first pull this spring.

I bought a Toro Recycler a couple of years ago. It cuts well, mulching, side discharge or bagging. The documentation said the mower will start on or by the third pull. I was skeptical, but it has been true thus far.
Love mine works Great.

Or

Get a Goat

I've had my Honda self propelled side discharge mulching mower for about 10-12 years or so. It is the best piece of machinery I have ever owned. I have yet to do any maintenance whatsoever on it. No oil changes, no filter changes,no plugs, nothing. I leave old gas in it in the winter, it starts on at the most the 3rd pull every spring. During the summer, no more than 2 to get her going. I do plan on changing the oil and overall maintenance this year, but the thing is an absolute beast. I will never buy anything other than a Honda for a lawnmower again, and this thing isn't gonna die anytime soon.
This. I did my first tune up on my Honda self propelled last year (9th year of ownership). Could not recommend more highly.

This. I did my first tune up on my Honda self propelled last year (9th year of ownership). Could not recommend more highly.
Best investment I ever made - on year 10 with no tune up ... started on first key turn and ran beautifully. Sat in garage all winter with no oil drainage either. I really should treat this thing to a tune up, etc. since its been so good to me.

Oh....and I have a Craftsman 6.75 HP mower that's been going strong for 11 years. Only thing I've ever done to it is replace the spark plug.

How often do you guys sharpen the blades?
I switch my blades each season. You can tell by looking at the blades of grass after a mow....if they aren't clean cuts across, they need to be sharpened.
Something that can be done yourself? If so what do you recommend using? Was thinking a bench grinder would probably be the best, but is there a concern about uneven sharpening and throwing off the balance?

My riding mower is in desperate need of this (and several other things). Bought a foreclosed house and a 42" Ariens riding mower came with it. What a P.O.S. Not to hijack this thread, but what would the riding mower folks recommend? I started looking a few months ago and Cub Cadet, for the price point, seemed to be getting a lot of favorable reviews.

odin33 said:
The Commish said:
How often do you guys sharpen the blades?
I switch my blades each season. You can tell by looking at the blades of grass after a mow....if they aren't clean cuts across, they need to be sharpened.
Something that can be done yourself? If so what do you recommend using? Was thinking a bench grinder would probably be the best, but is there a concern about uneven sharpening and throwing off the balance?

My riding mower is in desperate need of this (and several other things). Bought a foreclosed house and a 42" Ariens riding mower came with it. What a P.O.S. Not to hijack this thread, but what would the riding mower folks recommend? I started looking a few months ago and Cub Cadet, for the price point, seemed to be getting a lot of favorable reviews.
I do all mine :shrug:

I have used a hand grinder until this year. I got a bench grinder for Christmas. I just have to mount it. I've heard this balance argument from a lot of people, but I haven't experienced it and I don't go out of my way to make sure it's a balanced blade either. I think they'd have to be really out of whack to cause a problem.

I just bought a walmart brand. Paid 150. figured it will get me in shape and pay back my investment within about 4 mows. I can tell it's not as good as my old honda, but I didn't feel like sinking 300-400 in a push mower this year.

I got tired of the whole gas thing. Going bad over the winter, running out before finished, blowing up the garage, etc. Decided to give the EGo a shot. Mows great and i get about 45 minutes on a charge, but it recharges in about half an hour.

cuts really well and love no peripheral chores like going to the gas station and checking the oil. $500 at home depot kind of high, but happy so far. It's got twice the volts as competitors. Not self propelled but very light and easy to mow with.

Last edited by a moderator:
 My old lawn mower seized up last year.  Change the oil in my car every 4-5K but somehow I forgot that lawnmowers need oil once in awhile.  Bought a self propelled Toro at Home Depot for around 350.00. We have an acre lot and it works great.  It is a personal pace so the faster you walk the faster it propels.  Totally mulches  leaves into nothing too.

look everyone here is going to give you a ton of super expensive look at me options but here is what the old swcer who cannot afford fancy wicker furniture has to say i have a yard that is not what basically anyone would refer to as quote nice endquote it has a lot of stumps and most of my grass is actually creeping charlie and then there is just some rocky dirt over in one corner where i had a beater of a car parked for probably fifteen years and whatever leaked out of there well lets just say aint nothing green popping up over there and the epa keeps mentioning brownfield but anyhow i got me a ryobi from home despot like a ten spot ago and that bad boy just keeps on running i never winterize it i never springerize it everyone once in a while i just dump some oil in but i do not even check the dipstick so heck im probably running that baby way rich but it just keeps starting it is sort of like the lazarus of push mowers so look all i am saying is that if your numero uno concern about a lawnmower is that it is literally a zombie that you can not kill no matter how hard you try give the old ryobi a look you will be glad you did and that is one to grow on from the old swcer take that to the bank bromigos 

I never did do the above maintenance, and this thing is STILL running.  I may never do any maintenance just to see how long it will go.  Amazing piece of equipment.

I've had each of Honda Versamow, Toro Super Recycler w Personal Pace, and a Snapper Ninja (with disc drive) and of the three the Snapper has been my favorite by far over the last 20 years.  All used weekly in Florida with fairly dense grass.

The disc drive system (even as old as the technology is) on the Snapper holds up the best over time and really does a great job.

I do all mine :shrug:

I have used a hand grinder until this year. I got a bench grinder for Christmas. I just have to mount it. I've heard this balance argument from a lot of people, but I haven't experienced it and I don't go out of my way to make sure it's a balanced blade either. I think they'd have to be really out of whack to cause a problem.
I've got 3 sets of blades (3 per set)  for my Zero Turn John Deere.  I sharpen them all myself on a bench grinder and I've never had balance issues.  I used to check, but I don't even bother anymore.  You can test with a nail - hold the blade horizontal with a nail in the spindle hole and if it wants to rotate, that's supposedly a sign that it's too heavy on one side.  I've even sharpened one side, and left the other side unsharpened and tested it, and it's still balanced enough.  I feel like if you've go them THAT unbalanced, you're taking off way too much metal.

having a lawn is so 2014 now adays i just let my lawn die and i am bringing back the look of scratching out a hardscrabble existence on the prairie as the united states moved westward i call it manifest dustiny brohans the pluses are that you do not need to buy a mower or gas for the mower or waste time mowing the lawn the negatives are that your lawn looks like absolute crap but i say give it a whirl and see if that kickin boot fits bromigos take that to the bank 

having a lawn is so 2014 now adays i just let my lawn die and i am bringing back the look of scratching out a hardscrabble existence on the prairie as the united states moved westward i call it manifest dustiny brohans the pluses are that you do not need to buy a mower or gas for the mower or waste time mowing the lawn the negatives are that your lawn looks like absolute crap but i say give it a whirl and see if that kickin boot fits bromigos take that to the bank 
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

• Smile
Reactions: SWC
I just bought a new one. I had a Troy Bilt that was a house warming gift for our first house 16 years ago, and it finally went. It was a great mower, only ever had to change the oil and sharpen the blade, so I stuck with the same brand. I wanted to stay under $300. Went with this one with the Honda engine. Used it twice so far, no complaints. 

https://m.lowes.com/pd/Troy-Bilt-TB130-XP-160-cc-21-in-Push-Gas-Lawn-Mower-with-Honda-Engine/1000178355?cm_mmc=SCE_PLA-_-SeasonalOutdoorLiving-_-WalkBehindMowers-_-1000178355:Troy-Bilt&CAWELAID=&kpid=1000178355&CAGPSPN=pla&store_code=1192&k_clickID=22c087a2-d468-44d8-9cf0-9dfdd9ed3db0&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIk4TI7NSI2wIVWYezCh1AIgyaEAQYASABEgJqYPD_BwE

I just bought a new one. I had a Troy Bilt that was a house warming gift for our first house 16 years ago, and it finally went. It was a great mower, only ever had to change the oil and sharpen the blade, so I stuck with the same brand. I wanted to stay under $300. Went with this one with the Honda engine. Used it twice so far, no complaints. 

https://m.lowes.com/pd/Troy-Bilt-TB130-XP-160-cc-21-in-Push-Gas-Lawn-Mower-with-Honda-Engine/1000178355?cm_mmc=SCE_PLA-_-SeasonalOutdoorLiving-_-WalkBehindMowers-_-1000178355:Troy-Bilt&CAWELAID=&kpid=1000178355&CAGPSPN=pla&store_code=1192&k_clickID=22c087a2-d468-44d8-9cf0-9dfdd9ed3db0&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIk4TI7NSI2wIVWYezCh1AIgyaEAQYASABEgJqYPD_BwE
This is the exact same model but mine has rear wheel drive.   I don't like the push bar to engage the transmission since it is made out of plastic (breaks easily)  and I have had to replace twice in 4 years.  

This is the exact same model but mine has rear wheel drive.   I don't like the push bar to engage the transmission since it is made out of plastic (breaks easily)  and I have had to replace twice in 4 years.  
Yeah I stayed away from self-propelled since my property is pretty flat. I did notice a few people complaining in reviews I read about exactly what you said with the self- propelled models. 

Plan to upgrade lawn mowers for 2020. The $300 Honda from Sam's has served very well, and is young (only on the 3rd summer), but I think an upgrade will make sense. The engine is awesome (it's never taken a 2nd pull to start), but with everything else, you can tell they cheaped it out to sell at Sam's (though, I did see this year's model is RWD). Cheap wheels that don't get much traction on uneven terrain, frame feels flimsy, and with the larger rear wheel, it's not as maneuverable as I'd like. Gonna finish this summer with the Sam's job because there ain't really nothin' wrong with it, but would like to upgrade heading into next summer.

Couple questions:

Honda engine a no-brainer still? Any reason to look at a more expensive Husqvarna or Cub Cadet with a Honda Engine, or just stick with Honda brand?

Are regular sized rear wheels a problem for a bumpy, uneven terrain? I really would prefer to ditch the large wheels.

Really, open to any recs for just a simple, well-built beast that's powerful and maneuverable. RWD or AWD. Don't care about bagging (I'm too lazy. I ain't emptying bags). Not trying to drop a rack on a push mower, but willing to spend more on a better model than what I've got make this chore go a little smoother.

I bought a Toro from home depot a few years back.  It's been great.  No issues.  Does the job.

However, despite cutting a different direction every time, it tends to make the yard look like a bunch of lines.  Little wheels and a hundred passes will do that I guess.

I might be  in the market for a riding mower here soon out of necessity.  It will make the yard look better, plus the yard is getting a bit bumpy and I will need to attach a roller to smooth it out several times.  

I’ll be the tree hugger here and vouch for the Ego battery operated one.   I bought their edger about a year ago and it kicks ### so I grabbed the mower last year on a display sale.  Used it for the first time last week and it cut really well.  It’s super quiet so I don’t need to have my headphones blasting.  

I mainly got it bc I hate winterizing and all the upkeep on the gas powered stuff. Plus they are light enough that my wife or kids can do the year if needed. 

Users who are viewing this thread