What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

At the spelling bee (1 Viewer)

The speeling bee is bull####. A tie? WTF is that? Also, I read that one kid was eliminated after spelling both his words right, but scoring lower on the pre-test. The whole thing is a sham! :rant:

Cjw_55106 said:
The speeling bee is bull####. A tie? WTF is that? Also, I read that one kid was eliminated after spelling both his words right, but scoring lower on the pre-test. The whole thing is a sham! :rant:
More kids were eliminated that way than by misspelling. If my daughter had gotten her word correct, she still would have been eliminated based on the second test.

I came in second place in my school's spelling bee. I was like 10 or 11. The girl who beat me dropped out of the regional the day before the event and I was put in as a replacement. When I got there with my Mom, all the kids had their heads buried in a study book. I didn't even know there was a book handed out. I was completely rattled.

I was the first eliminated.

I just watched the TV feed for the first time on ESPN3. I saw my boy try to sneak peaks at the camera when it was on him... goober. It was hard watching her miss her word again, but I'm glad I got to see her looking so happy on the couch after she got eliminated. Great attitude!

ESPN showing the national championship...

...I could have sworn the girl would choke on "Tchefuncte" - pure Louisiana Indian place name, I have no idea how she got that.

Last edited by a moderator:
I actually competed in the national championship way back in the day.  This was long before ESPN televised it.  No, I didn't win.  It was fun to have an all-expenses paid trip to Washington, though (complete with private in-office meetings with my U.S. Rep. and Senator and a Rose Garden address to all the contestants by Reagan).   

I actually competed in the national championship way back in the day.  This was long before ESPN televised it.  No, I didn't win.  It was fun to have an all-expenses paid trip to Washington, though (complete with private in-office meetings with my U.S. Rep. and Senator and a Rose Garden address to all the contestants by Reagan).   
Dude - that is really cool! Very nice.

I was our school's representative for the grammar rodeo 

My spelling bee days ended in 1980 when I missed "balloon" in the 7th grade class spelling bee.  I was devastated, never fully recovering from that setback.  A few years later when reading aloud in a high school freshman English class I mispronounced the word bourgeois (bur-gee-oh-is) and my fate was sealed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Was actually very impressed around round 10 or so where the taller of the two boys got his word and immediately spelled it without asking for definition, origin, or anything about it.  Just heard the word and boom - spelled it right out.  Caught everyone off guard.  The best part was his mother in the audience shaking her finger at him as it to say, "don't do that ever again."

My spelling bee days ended in 1980 when I missed "balloon" in the 7th grade class spelling bee.  I was devastated, never fully recovering from that setback.  A few years late when reading aloud in a high school freshman English class I mispronounced the word bourgeois (bur-gee-oh-is) and my fate was sealed.
:lol:  

Don't feel bad about misadventures while reading aloud; I remember two occasions in law school when a professor asked a student to read an excerpt from whatever case we were discussing for some reason.  One the first occasion, the guy read that "the defendant was misled," pronouncing misled as "missiled."  The second time, a guy (different gentleman) read that someone was "convicted of manslaughter," and, you guessed it, pronounced it like "man's laughter."  There was definitely some laughter alrighty.      

Dude - that is really cool! Very nice.
Thanks!  I was a stupid 11 or 12-year old and didn't fully appreciate what was happening but it was definitely a nice experience to win my city, state, and then get to go to Washington (I finished about 30th out of 130 or so people; went out on a dumb mistake).  Incidentally it was relatively rare in those days to ask for all of these things like word origin, definition, use in a sentence, etc.  It was permitted, but kids rarely did it.  So things went much faster.   

Users who are viewing this thread