What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official John Kasich 2016 thread (1 Viewer)

FlapJacks

Footballguy
http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/ohio-gov-kasich-looks-to-announce-2016-bid-this-summer/2015/05/27/c02a70a6-0495-11e5-a428-c984eb077d4e_story.html

Ohio Gov. John Kasich, who has been actively gauging reactions to a possible campaign for president in 2016, is now moving rapidly to assemble the staff and financial resources for such a bid and is looking to declare his candidacy sometime after June 30, according to knowledgeable Republicans.

The two-term governor and former House member is running through a checklist before formally entering the race, but strategists close to Kasich and other longtime friends say there is no doubt that he will soon join the crowded field of those vying for the GOP nomination.

Kasichs calling cards, these Republicans say, will be a record of fiscal conservatism, both as House Budget Committee chairman and as governor of a big and politically important state; national security credentials as a former member of the House Armed Services Committee; and a faith-based focus on programs and policies to help those most in need that advisers think could set him apart from competitors.

Very qualified in every way. A smart, savvy, centrist Republican who has shown he can get things done. An excellent speaker, known to the public thanks to years on TV.

But he hasn't been able to keep his name in the news and he's been somewhat in the shadow of his fellow governor Walker. It's a real question given the crowded field of he'll even make the debates and if he does if he'll stand out. I hope he can find a way to stay alive; among the current field of GOP candidates he is easily one of the very best IMO.

http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/420057/why-kasich-matters-and-could-win-henry-olsen

Why Kasich matters and could win

Republican moderates like candidates with strong personalities, people who vocally stand up for what they believe and run counter to the cut-government mantra favored on the right. They like balanced budgets over tax cuts (although they don’t mind those); they care more about keeping programs working than about cutting or eliminating them; they care a lot more about using government to empower the average person than they do about shrinking it to help the exceptional one do better. Kasich’s Ohio record passes each of these litmus tests. He’s expanded government support for the poor while keeping budgets balanced and cutting taxes for everyone, and he’s not shy about telling people that he’s doing something morally right.

Seems like one of the more reasonable candidates out there. Not sure having a guy who worked at Lehman Brothers when it collapsed is going to go over well.

Not sure he is all that special really. His state has followed national trends in the recovery. His policies probably had little effect, they certainly didn't deliver the promised boom. I give him credit for being a centrist but so is Hillary and they both have Wall Street baggage.

Just another guy in the clown car at this point.

Kasich started out his first term blaming teachers, police officers and firefighters for the State's debt. Balanced the budget by crushing local government and education state revenues. There are many communities struggling and on the verge of fiscal collapse. Colossal ego, but sadly probably better than 1/2 the current field.

Last edited by a moderator:
Has no chance.
Which is sad...everything i see about this guy leads me he is a much better option than any other of these GOP clowns and better than Hillary as well.But we just dont ever get the best choices.
I'm from Ohio, and when Kasich was in the House he was from my district. I guarantee he'd make a better president than Bush, Rubio, Walker, or any of the other jokers the GOP is putting out there. But I'm on the Bernie train, so take my opinion with as much salt as you want.

I wouldn't count him out just yet. It's a long race. There are a lot of possibilities.

For example, one of the interesting things about having two debates (a second debate for the "B" group) is that it could create a situation where the winner of the "B" group, whoever that is, gets more attention than whoever comes in 2nd or 3rd place in the "A" group. The combination of so many candidates plus the change of rules after Citizens United means we are going to see a very unpredictable race here.

For me, the fact that Kasich chose for Ohio to accept the expanded Medicare benefits puts him head and shoulders above the other Republicans. He made the right choice for the citizens of Ohio rather than stand on principal and harm them.

Balanced the budget by crushing local government and education state revenues.
Bingo. Complete truth. He gutted state taxes and and shifted the burdens to cities. Of course that means wealthy communities can manage and poor ones are stiffed. Big surprise.

The fact this guy was able to set aside any principles he may have had to work for Fox News makes me pretty skeptical about his character.

He's ambituous, i'll give him that...

5. In college, he weaseled his way into a meeting with President Richard Nixon.

Kasich may have Nixon to thank for catching the political bug. One month into his freshman year at Ohio State, Kasich kept calling to demand a meeting with the college president until his secretary finally relented. It just so happened that the college president was heading to the White House the next day to meet with Nixon, so naturally Kasich asked to tag along. And, naturally, the OSU president refused.

But Kasich was successful in convincing him to deliver a letter to Nixon on his behalf about some of his concerns. The tagline: "P.S. If you'd like to discuss this letter further, please don't hesitate to contact me. I'll make myself available. I'm a college student. I've got time. I'll come to you."

The brash move in December 1970 worked. Two weeks later, a letter arrived from the White House saying that Nixon would like to meet with the college freshman. A promised five-minute meeting went on for 20 minutes.

He takes credit for ohio's economic turnaround. He did cut taxes and improved the states bottom line. But he did that by cutting state money to localities. He's gutted school districts statewide. And done nothing to address school funding inequities he has contributed to.

ChopMeat said:
He takes credit for ohio's economic turnaround. He did cut taxes and improved the states bottom line. But he did that by cutting state money to localities. He's gutted school districts statewide. And done nothing to address school funding inequities he has contributed to.
This.

And his political banner looks like a piece of bacon hovering over his name.

Don't get me wrong here. Just pointing out the good (like bacon) with the bad (like cutting education funds). I think he's trying to balance a good image against the bad here. Just sayin'.

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/clinton-in-jeopardy-of-losing-new-hampshire-to-sanders-300123888.html

poll may be a slight outlier

In NH GOP Presidential candidate Donald Trump continues his large lead with 32%, followed by John Kasich at 15%

2nd place in NH now
He has been focusing on NH:

Instead, Kasich ignored Trump and his own long odds, and kept his nose to the grindstone in New Hampshire. Kasich has visited the Granite State nine times since announcing his candidacy on July 21, embracing the state’s quintessential town hall campaign format. His late start, once thought to be a shortcoming, has turned out to be an advantage, keeping him freshest in the public’s eye. All of this, combined most significantly with $3 million worth of ads in the state from his super PAC, have helped the governor move from the bottom to third and fourth place in the state, according to two recent surveys.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2015/08/03/ohios_kasich_from_zero_to_gop_debate_stage.html

If a sane centrist republican can emerge from this mess, i dislike Hillary enough to cast my vote for the GOP for the first time. Clinton, Clinton, Gore, Kerrey, Obama, Obama, ?. Would like it to be Webb but i know that's a pretty big longshot.

home crowd helped in the debate

I like that he talked about uniting people and his Medicaid defense was strong. I could see him taking some support from Jeb and Walker.

I wish he would have elaborated more on illegal immigration, but in this format with limited seconds of screen time, I can understand why that didn't happen.

:blackdot:

Definitely want to hear more from him.

Right now I'm interested in Rubio, Fiorina and Kasich.

I thought he was the best of the night, hands down. If he is the nominee (which seems unlikely, but stranger things have happened) I would consider giving up my support for Hillary and switching over to him, depending.

Only made it through the first hour (will watch rest over the weekend) but what I did see of him left me kinda disappointed. He seemed more there to campaign than to debate. Didn't get anymore in depth about what I already know about him (which given that I live in Ohio, is a fair amount) Medicare expansion, son of a postman, yeah, yeah, enough back story, give me details.

Part of the problem was the format only allowed short answers, and it sucked that one of his questions was "What do you think of Trumps response?"

I am pulling for him. I disagree with him on a decent amount of issues, but I do think he would be a very good president and be able to break through the partisan gridlock.

I thought he was the best of the night, hands down. If he is the nominee (which seems unlikely, but stranger things have happened) I would consider giving up my support for Hillary and switching over to him, depending.
I see it happening if:

Trump fades - strong possibility

Jeb just never catches on - possible

Walker has peaked - possible

Only made it through the first hour (will watch rest over the weekend) but what I did see of him left me kinda disappointed. He seemed more there to campaign than to debate. Didn't get anymore in depth about what I already know about him (which given that I live in Ohio, is a fair amount) Medicare expansion, son of a postman, yeah, yeah, enough back story, give me details.

Part of the problem was the format only allowed short answers, and it sucked that one of his questions was "What do you think of Trumps response?"

I am pulling for him. I disagree with him on a decent amount of issues, but I do think he would be a very good president and be able to break through the partisan gridlock.
big spotlight where 90% of the country would be like "who?" he needed to get his resume out there.

I think he'll get more press now, so we'll learn more...

big spotlight where 90% of the country would be like "who?" he needed to get his resume out there.

I think he'll get more press now, so we'll learn more...
yeah, and I get that. But for me it was disappointing. If I were still a Virginian, I would have no idea who he was and would probably be a bit more interested in him.

Users who are viewing this thread