What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Pepper Wars! Who do you side with? (1 Viewer)

Who do you side with?

• McCormick

Votes: 16 30.8%
  • Watkins

Votes: 19 36.5%
  • I am here to make a Salt 'n Peppa joke

Votes: 8 15.4%
  • Neither. I am a pepper snob and came to show off my pepper IQ

Votes: 9 17.3%

• Total voters

Fennis

Footballguy
The cost of pepper is skyrocketing, so to control costs McCormick cut the amount of pepper they put in each of their tins by 25%. They changed the fluid oz on the label to reflect the change, but McCormick is still using the orginal larger tins we all know and love. Watkins is suing McCormick to get them to change their packaging to reflect the smaller amount of pepper.

McCormick “gave the false impression that nothing had changed,” Watkins said in the suit. The new tins “are now 25 percent empty, which constitutes nonfunctional ‘slack-fill.’ ”

McCormick, as the dominant pepper player, has essentially set a standard for packaging in the market, and competing pepper brands often use similarly sized tins, Watkins said in the suit.
This law suit is nothing to sneeze at, and being a McCormick's man its hard to say, but I side with Watkins here.

Full story here

Last edited by a moderator:
"nothing to sneeze at…"

Nice touch.

That said, and as always, I side with the medical expertise of Dr. Pepper. I'll await his ruling on the matter.

Last edited by a moderator:
This reminds me of the guiness bottles that only have 11.2 oz. Out of principle i won't buy them! Now the cans on the other hand, mmmmm guiness.

Fresh-ground >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> pre-ground

That said, reducing the amount of product in the same-size container is a doosh move.
:goodposting:

Removing fresh ground quality peppercorns from the equation (which make mcCormicks taste like sawdust in comparison).... it's a lame as hell move to cut weight but not packaging.

Seems food prices are going up everywhere, especially the last 4 years. Nothing is cheap anymore. Subway's $5 footlong is now a $5 6-inch + soda. The fast-food dollar menu is "dollar and more menu", which kind of defeats the purpose. Beef is expensive. Chicken is ridiculous. Forget fish.

A few years back Carl's Jr. came out with "The $6 Burger" as a joke name: a burger so good it rivals those fancy restaurant burgers you'd pay $6 for at some place with tablecloths & napkins. Now "The $6 Burger" actually costs like $6.50. Almost all the "value meal" combos are $10.

Not just fast food. Milk, cheese, now pepper. Feels like all food prices are up at least 50%, some 100%, just in the last 4/5 years.
People have been writing about the hidden costs of the lackluster economy for a while with respect to food. I've heard from several people that have commented that ground beef's price is absurd. They say its price is at levels formerly reserved for lesser cuts of steak.

Seems food prices are going up everywhere, especially the last 4 years. Nothing is cheap anymore. Subway's $5 footlong is now a $5 6-inch + soda. The fast-food dollar menu is "dollar and more menu", which kind of defeats the purpose. Beef is expensive. Chicken is ridiculous. Forget fish.

A few years back Carl's Jr. came out with "The $6 Burger" as a joke name: a burger so good it rivals those fancy restaurant burgers you'd pay $6 for at some place with tablecloths & napkins. Now "The $6 Burger" actually costs like $6.50. Almost all the "value meal" combos are $10.

Not just fast food. Milk, cheese, now pepper. Feels like all food prices are up at least 50%, some 100%, just in the last 4/5 years.
Chicken 1.88 a lb. That's not bad.

:goodposting:

Team McKormick (and not just bc they're local). They list the size on the label. The consumer has to have some responsibility in purchases. Also, changing the entire packaging would cost way more, possibly increasing their price or lowering the amount per container. What if this is actually dependent of the price of pepper and that price goes back down?

Geesh... why not make a smaller size or just increase the cost. You buy pepper like what? Once a year? You could charge me double than you did the year before and I would not know the difference.

Shrinking package syndrome is the food industry way of trying to be stelthy with their price increases. That one pound can of coffee that you grew up with is now 11oz. Look at the ice cream container that used to be a half gallon because it isn't anymore.

There was a big uprising over tuna cans shrinking and messing up all the recipes out there.

Reducing the amount without changing the packaging size is absolutely a douchey move. I bet McCormick has prepurchased so many containers that they are just trying to burn out their stock first

I really don't understand why people eat fast food. It is no longer a cheap meal. I amlost fell over dead when the wife and i got two chichen sandwich meals at wendy's and i only go coins back from a $20 (supersized one for the bigger drink). No thanks!

Close your eyes... and picture grains of pepper, put in the machines of the assembly line. Picture them looking down into that container and seeing it move off and be closed, only 3/4 full.

I want you to picture those grains of pepper... now imagine they are salt.

I really don't understand why people eat fast food. It is no longer a cheap meal. I amlost fell over dead when the wife and i got two chichen sandwich meals at wendy's and i only go coins back from a $20 (supersized one for the bigger drink). No thanks!
Because it's fast :shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread