What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Driverless Cars/Trucks (1 Viewer)

SkyRattlers

Anti-aliai
I have two kids under 3 at home and one topic that I bring up a lot in conversations with other new parents I know is this:

My children will never learn to drive and they will think of us that can as Neanderthals. The same way we look at smoking advertisements now is how they will see us. "Dad, are you crazy?! You know that driving is extremely dangerous right? Why would you ever willingly get behind the wheel of a car.You're insane!"

So I'm just curious what other people think of the rapidly approaching change to driving that's coming.

Maybe you have no interest in ever owning a driverless car? But how will you feel about sharing the highway with a battalion of big rigs with no driver?

Will you even need to own a car in the future? Uber claims that once they go driverless that it will be cheaper for all of us to simply call them for a ride rather than own our own car.

Discuss...

I quickly realized I might not be smart enough to discuss this (yes, it's a sig-worhty event). There's so much about free will, statistics, trial-and-error, the public and private toleration of failure resulting in death, the public and private ownership of roads, corporations, corporate recalls, corporate liability, privacy issues, etc. It would seem only experts about driverless cars would make this an intelligent discussion.

First question: Are the manual override systems activated quickly enough and satisfactorily enough to be introduced publicly? I'd say that's the start. And there are a host of underpinned issues behind that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Guy, I think you need your time-frames a little more in focus. Driverless cars won't be the standard for at least 40 years, maybe even longer.

Guy, I think you need your time-frames a little more in focus. Driverless cars won't be the standard for at least 40 years, maybe even longer.
I'll take the under.

There may never be a time when all cars are driverless, but the time when the majority of cars are is sooner than most people believe.

Driverless cars and trucks are going to be in the future, and if done properly, can cut down greatly on accidents, but the technology won't be widespread for several decades, probably by 2070

You want links?

http://www.driverless-future.com/?page_id=384

Even futurists have recently begun to realize that their predictions are all coming true sooner than they had expected. So if all of those people quoted in the link predict driverless cars no later than 2040, its a safe bet it'll arrive sooner than that.

In 13 years people will still be driving cars.
Of course. Full saturation will take a few decades.

But there will be next to no new drivers. It'll be guys like you and me who still want the thrill of driving who will hang on the longest. Kids won't see the point in wasting their time or risking their lives.

And for us geezers....one day the insurance companies will just step in and say that if you don't start using your driverless car features that they won't insure you any more. And that type of business decision doesn't take 50+ years to happen. There is no breaking in period. It's just math....profit....either comply or you are out.

I'll take the under.

There may never be a time when all cars are driverless, but the time when the majority of cars are is sooner than most people believe.
What is your guess for when the majority of vehicles will be driverless?
2030 conservatively.

The economic benefits are too great which is why companies like Google and Apple are getting involved.(among others) I can promise you their time horizon for an ROI is not 40 years.

In 13 years people will still be driving cars.
Of course. Full saturation will take a few decades.

But there will be next to no new drivers. It'll be guys like you and me who still want the thrill of driving who will hang on the longest. Kids won't see the point in wasting their time or risking their lives.

And for us geezers....one day the insurance companies will just step in and say that if you don't start using your driverless car features that they won't insure you any more. And that type of business decision doesn't take 50+ years to happen. There is no breaking in period. It's just math....profit....either comply or you are out.
Wow. And then we'll get to hear the original problem of mandatory insurance coverages that the states force upon people.

Also, you will be doing 35, 45, 55, 65, and 75, sir.

Can we get the police lobby in on this?

This is such a fundamental transformation that it will be stunning how many ways this affects our lives.

I quickly realized I might not be smart enough to discuss this (yes, it's a sig-worhty event). There's so much about free will, statistics, trial-and-error, the public and private toleration of failure resulting in death, the public and private ownership of roads, corporations, corporate recalls, corporate liability, privacy issues, etc. It would seem only experts about driverless cars would make this an intelligent discussion.

First question: Are the manual override systems activated quickly enough and satisfactorily enough to be introduced publicly? I'd say that's the start. And there are a host of underpinned issues behind that.
Manual override will only be a "feature" as a introductory concession by the makes to help ease everyone into giving the cars a test drive. Once the stats are in the override will be taken away, because the stats will clearly show that we drivers are the biggest flaw in the car.

Manual override will only be a "feature" as a introductory concession by the makes to help ease everyone into giving the cars a test drive. Once the stats are in the override will be taken away, because the stats will clearly show that we drivers are the biggest flaw in the car.
:anger rising:

Me: For ####ty drivers!

Stat Guy: No, for all drivers, because the statisticians tell us so!

Yeah speaking in historical terms driverless cars and trucks are upon us. No more long haul truckers falling asleep at the wheel but then virtually no trucker jobs. Add robots to the mix and you aren't talking a lot of humans involved in the process of shipping goods. Maybe not even the last mile.

We are on the verge of seismic changes in our economy and society due to the geometric speed at which technology is advancing. And we aren't doing a thing to prepare or even talking about it. It's going to be a bumpy ride.

Exactly...consider there was a jet pack invented in the 50s or early 60s, an amphi-car (drives in water) and none of these things are close to being a standard in our everyday lives. Aren't we still waiting on hover cars first? Point being, there have been countless transportation ideas that have come and gone over the decades, so I would not put too much stock (yet) into the driverless car.

I think you're wildly wrong. I enjoy driving - I remember being a little kid and always wanting to be behind the wheel. Sitting there and asking to sit on my dads lap so I can steer the wheel. My son is 2.5 and begs to drive. I'm 3 hours from my home right now and looking forward to hitting the highway in my car later tonight for a nice relaxing ride.

On top of that, technology like this won't be free and will be extremely expensive for the first 10 or so years, rendering it unaffordable to the vast majority of people.

Majority? I stick to my original prediction at 40 years. Personally I wouldn't use it unless I was blitzed.

Yeah speaking in historical terms driverless cars and trucks are upon us. No more long haul truckers falling asleep at the wheel but then virtually no trucker jobs. Add robots to the mix and you aren't talking a lot of humans involved in the process of shipping goods. Maybe not even the last mile.

We are on the verge of seismic changes in our economy and society due to the geometric speed at which technology is advancing. And we aren't doing a thing to prepare or even talking about it. It's going to be a bumpy ride.
Thank you! This is what this topic so ### ####ed interesting.

It isn't a question of IF this is all going to happen....it's already a certainty. The only questions left is how we will cope with it.

We're going to need a real tolerance not seen since the Industrial Revolution, really. And this will be worse, because it will all be within the realm of public roads, public spaces, and public interests. This will have to be hashed out with a respect to the political process that one rarely sees, and one that we may be incapable of doing.

Your kids may never drive (it will be close), but they will at least remember it. Your grandkids, on the other hand, will think its nuts that we used to get in cars which were manually controlled and speed along on highways towards each other.

Don't driverless cars need road markings in order to figure out how to stay in lanes and where to drive? I can see the majority of cars being driverless for urban areas (so long as they can get enough tax money to cover road maintenance to keep those lines from fading), but in rural areas where you have dirt/gravel roads, or you want to drive off-road, that's a lot further off.

Don't driverless cars need road markings in order to figure out how to stay in lanes and where to drive?
No

I can see the majority of cars being driverless for urban areas (so long as they can get enough tax money to cover road maintenance to keep those lines from fading), but in rural areas where you have dirt/gravel roads, or you want to drive off-road, that's a lot further off.
Why would a car have to be one or the other...why can't they be both??

Hint: they will be.

Exactly...consider there was a jet pack invented in the 50s or early 60s, an amphi-car (drives in water) and none of these things are close to being a standard in our everyday lives. Aren't we still waiting on hover cars first? Point being, there have been countless transportation ideas that have come and gone over the decades, so I would not put too much stock (yet) into the driverless car.
According to the IHS adoption is going to be significant enough that by 2035 a driverless car will cost about 3000 more than a driven car. Their report also concluded that almost all those vehicles will be operating in self drive mode. This isn't the jet pack.

I think you're wildly wrong. I enjoy driving - I remember being a little kid and always wanting to be behind the wheel. Sitting there and asking to sit on my dads lap so I can steer the wheel. My son is 2.5 and begs to drive. I'm 3 hours from my home right now and looking forward to hitting the highway in my car later tonight for a nice relaxing ride.

On top of that, technology like this won't be free and will be extremely expensive for the first 10 or so years, rendering it unaffordable to the vast majority of people.

Majority? I stick to my original prediction at 40 years. Personally I wouldn't use it unless I was blitzed.
You are only viewing this topic from the viewpoint of the average joe who enjoys driving, and buys 6.7 cars in their lifetime.

You share the road....atleast half of which are business vehicles...delivery trucks, taxi's, and other business owned vehicles. They don't have a salary in which they have to fit in an "expensive" driverless car. They have a budget which currently includes the cost of a driver. It'll be easy for them to make the switch. It'll be cost effective.

You WILL be sharing the road with driverless cars before 2025. it'll be like spotting wild animals when you drive through a Federal park. Instead of "Hey look dad! I see the buffalo!"....it'll be "Hey look Dad! That big rig has no driver!"

:lmao: at 40 years.

It will be here very soon, and it will be huge. I find the topic fascinating, and am curious to see how it changes our economy.

I liked Elon Musk's comment about elevator operators. Now we just take for granted that we have technology that allows us to hit a button and automatically be taken to our desired floor. Autonomous cars will be the same. We'll look back and think how wasteful it was to have so many millions of people manually driving vehicles.

Don't driverless cars need road markings in order to figure out how to stay in lanes and where to drive? I can see the majority of cars being driverless for urban areas (so long as they can get enough tax money to cover road maintenance to keep those lines from fading), but in rural areas where you have dirt/gravel roads, or you want to drive off-road, that's a lot further off.
Don't you need those things to drive? I know I do....

From a technology standpoint, I think cars will be ready for primetime in less than 10 years. From a human acceptance standpoint incl. regulation, insurance and societal acceptance, I think we are 15 to 25 years away.

It will be here very soon, and it will be huge. I find the topic fascinating, and am curious to see how it changes our economy.

I liked Elon Musk's comment about elevator operators. Now we just take for granted that we have technology that allows us to hit a button and automatically be taken to our desired floor. Autonomous cars will be the same. We'll look back and think how wasteful it was to have so many millions of people manually driving vehicles.
Who cries for the buggy maker?

You are only viewing this topic from the viewpoint of the average joe who enjoys driving, and buys 6.7 cars in their lifetime.

You share the road....atleast half of which are business vehicles...delivery trucks, taxi's, and other business owned vehicles. They don't have a salary in which they have to fit in an "expensive" driverless car. They have a budget which currently includes the cost of a driver. It'll be easy for them to make the switch. It'll be cost effective.

You WILL be sharing the road with driverless cars before 2025. it'll be like spotting wild animals when you drive through a Federal park. Instead of "Hey look dad! I see the buffalo!"....it'll be "Hey look Dad! That big rig has no driver!"
I'm not disputing there will be driverless cars in the next decade, Google already has them cruising around... I am disputing majority - Do you know how many vehicles are currently on the road? Do you understand the number it would take to make that the majority?

I think a lot of you are underestimating the freedom of getting behind the wheel and going somewhere just for the hell of it. There will most certainly be automated trucking, busing, and cars will have a driverless option for long trips or getting to work, etc. But not everyone will want to have to plug in the address they want to go to into the gps and go the shortest route, or the fastest route.

I'm not disputing there will be driverless cars in the next decade, Google already has them cruising around... I am disputing majority - Do you know how many vehicles are currently on the road? Do you understand the number it would take to make that the majority?
How long did it take to transition the majority of automobiles from leaded gas to unleaded?

Ride share. Driverless cars will be cruising around waiting for someone to call. Then for a small fee you go to wherever you need to. On a yearly basis it will be far cheaper than owning a car. People in urban areas, you know the majority of the population, will get the most benefit of course. Some will keep cars of course but the tipping point is much closer than 40 years.

Ride share. Driverless cars will be cruising around waiting for someone to call. Then for a small fee you go to wherever you need to. On a yearly basis it will be far cheaper than owning a car. People in urban areas, you know the majority of the population, will get the most benefit of course. Some will keep cars of course but the tipping point is much closer than 40 years.
Correct, the Millenials are already shunning car ownership...a lot of old geezers hanging on to the past in here.

Here is a link for you untrusting souls out there....http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2014/10/14/the-many-reasons-millennials-are-shunning-cars/

cmon fellas, get with it.

I think a lot of you are underestimating the freedom of getting behind the wheel and going somewhere just for the hell of it. There will most certainly be automated trucking, busing, and cars will have a driverless option for long trips or getting to work, etc. But not everyone will want to have to plug in the address they want to go to into the gps and go the shortest route, or the fastest route.
Im assuming that once the technology is worked out, it wont be an option. The idea here is that it will be safer. Why would they want you ruining that by allowing for human error?

i totally appreciate this, but I also know that human driving is a huge contributor to traffic. I think many people (not all) in urban areas would choose improved traffic and motor speeds over freedom. Then again, I don't know if it will play out this way. It will be fascinating to see how this evolves.

Im assuming that once the technology is worked out, it wont be an option. The idea here is that it will be safer. Why would they want you ruining that by allowing for human error?
There are a lot of reasons but probably the most important one is that not all transportation is point A to point B.

Also, do you honestly think Apple and Google are investing millions because they want the roads to be safer...this is about money, like many other technological advances before it.

It will be a sad day then. Everyone will go the same way all the time. We're turning into isolated robots.

Don't you need those things to drive? I know I do....
Have you never driven on a road where the lines have worn away or were never drawn on it? Or on a dirt or gravel road? No, I don't need markings to drive on those. However, every car I've seen that has the beginnings of automated driving (lane assist) they have in the fine print about how it only works on roads with clear markings, meaning that if you were on a poorly maintained road (or one covered in snow or leaves, etc.) you shouldn't count on the car being able to keep on the road by itself.

And to TripItUp, the others were the ones saying that manual overdrive for autopilot would only be available at first until the insurance statistics showed that cars driving themselves had better driving records than we do. Google's driverless car prototype already doesn't come with manual controls.

It will be a sad day then. Everyone will go the same way all the time.
Doubtful.

:goodposting:

I've decided that if/when my current vehicle finally breaks down I'll just rely on Uber/Lyft rather than get another car payment. Just more cost effective when factoring in gas, maintenance, insurance, etc. Once autonomous cars become available the cost will further decrease, as 80% of the fare goes straight to the driver.

I think the stat I saw predicted that in an urban area an autonomous Uber car could arrive within 30 seconds and take you anywhere for less than 50 cents per mile. Considering that, I'm not sure why anyone would choose to drive themselves.

The biggest hurdle will be breaking the mold of people who "like to drive". I enjoy driving, but there is a point where common sense just wins out. Cheaper + safer = inevitable change.

It will be a sad day then. Everyone will go the same way all the time. We're turning into isolated robots.
This is what you're worried about? Travelling will be 100x safer, traffic will be more efficient, drive times and emmissions will be cut in half, but you're sad because you cant take the scenic route?

This is what you're worried about? Travelling will be 100x safer, traffic will be more efficient, drive times and emmissions will be cut in half, but you're sad because you cant take the scenic route?
Yes

I'm with you. Our country should be investing more money in this technology to help it move along faster.

Here are a few sub-topics I have been thinking about,

-impact on drunk driving

-# of minor/ major accidents

-insurance rates

-truck industry (strikes?)

-vehicle ownership

-driving jobs (delivery, mail, cabs, uber, etc)

-trickle down into truck stops, interstate town economies

-motorhomes may become more attractive travel option

How long did it take to transition the majority of automobiles from leaded gas to unleaded?
IIRC the fleet on average turns over every 14 years.

And to TripItUp, the others were the ones saying that manual overdrive for autopilot would only be available at first until the insurance statistics showed that cars driving themselves had better driving records than we do. Google's driverless car prototype already doesn't come with manual controls.
It will be demand driven...and probably an option for decades until the consumer no longer cares for the option.

This is about economics...something many seem to be losing sight of.

so on my way home I forgot I had to stop to run an errand. Do I retype in the store I want to go to?

I NEED TO KNOW..... It all sounds dumb imo

Users who are viewing this thread