What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Mr. Robot (1 Viewer)

Everyone he saw in the alternate universe was dead, correct? 

And Darlene is alive but he's an only child in the alternate. 
I was absolutely sure about this too, except Ollie kept nagging me.  I don't think Ollie is dead as far as the audience knows.  I believe the last time we saw him until this past episode was when he tried to get Angela to say something incriminating on a wire, or a recording device, but failed.  That was in Season Two maybe?  He was definitely alive at the end of that appearance.  But perhaps he was killed offscreen since and someone referred to him as dearly departed, and I don't remember it.  Anyone?   

I’m pretty confused after that. Tyrell seemed to be aware of the alternate reality. Elliot woke up in a nice apartment then later met his alternate self at his old apartment after stopping at Angela’s place. I’m not sure how he knew about his old place unless it was a result of slowly recognizing the alternate reality as the episode progressed. Whiterose killing herself then appearing as a philanthropist in the alternate reality also leaves me wondering how they will tie this together. Hard to predict which reality they will revert back to. I’m assuming we will see more of Whiterose, which tends to lean towards the F Corp reality although I’m also expecting Elliot to wake up back in the E Corp reality. I have no idea what to expect for the conclusion.

If this ends well, it will be a good series to rewatch to pick up on some of the finer points on second viewing.
Same apartment. Just nicer finishes. 

Sam better not LOST ending this or I’m going to be really pissed. Looking forward to his new show, my type of quirky.

After the last episode I was thinking maybe everything is code, like the Matrix, and that it's a game of sorts that has a conclusion? Dunno.

So still about 50 minutes left but I guess he really is Tyrell?
I got that wrong...lol. I was thrown off by Dom the traffic cop saying he looked nothing like his license picture.

Overall a pretty fantastic, trippy conclusion to the series. This series goes down as one of my all-time favorites. Amazing acting, great variety of storytelling and excellent use of music. Going to really miss it.

Glad it's over. Wish I could have been aboard. Enthralled fan for two seasons, gave up about halfway thru S3, watched the first two eps of S4 and could no longer abide everyone standing around looking confused and horrified, came back for eXit and the finale. Figured out during the daddy mess of S2 that Eliot was talking to another version of himself and, from there, it just spiraled out on me and never came back.

Here's the thing - a person is not supposed to like, join or ever be comfortable with the paranoia, hysteria, delusion inside us. It is vital to the life process that human beings develop a few abiding illusions to relieve the soul from the struggle, heartache, shame & grief of coming into one's own. But one is NEVER supposed to make a life of those illusions, God forbid become married to them or ask others to cooperate with them. They're fancies, internal couch pillows. You start screwing your couch pillows and taking them to ballgames, you're delusional. And no one is EVER supposed to cooperate with another's delusions. That's primal.

Now that i am a life coach, i spend most of my time dismantling the structures people build of their confabulations, usually once they've become walls as much against happiness as pain. Confabulations, self-possessions, mega-habits, obsessions are phenomena one is always to be uncomfortable about within oneself - they are psychic painkillers that bridge us thru trauma, real or self-imposed, and nothing more. They are fascinating, sure, and that's why they are occasionally explored in the artistic realm (paintings do it beautifully). Befriend them, however, and you are lost. Sam Esmail, and Elliot Alderson, befriended confabulation, allowed it to do anything it wanted to around us and that is why both became unwelcome guests in my home.

Last edited by a moderator:
Glad it's over. Wish I could have been aboard. Enthralled fan for two seasons, gave up about halfway thru S3, watched the first two eps of S4 and could no longer abide everyone standing around looking confused and horrified, came back for eXit and the finale. Figured out during the daddy mess of S2 that Eliot was talking to another version of himself and, from there, it just spiraled out on me and never came back.

Here's the thing - a person is not supposed to like, join or ever be comfortable with the paranoia, hysteria, delusion inside us. It is vital to the life process that human beings develop a few abiding illusions to relieve the soul from the struggle, heartache, shame & grief of coming into one's own. But one is NEVER supposed to make a life of those illusions, God forbid become married to them or ask others to cooperate with them. They're fancies, internal couch pillows. You start screwing your couch pillows and taking them to ballgames, you're delusional. And no one is EVER supposed to cooperate with another's delusions. That's primal.

Now that i am a life coach, i spend most of my time dismantling the structures people build of their confabulations, usually once they've become walls as much against happiness as pain. Confabulations, self-possessions, mega-habits, obsessions are phenomena one is always to be uncomfortable about within oneself - they are psychic painkillers that bridge us thru trauma, real or self-imposed, and nothing more. They are fascinating, sure, and that's why they are occasionally explored in the artistic realm (paintings do it beautifully). Befriend them, however, and you are lost. Sam Esmail, and Elliot Alderson, befriended confabulation, allowed it to do anything it wanted to around us and that is why both became unwelcome guests in my home.
Stuff you're NEVER supposed to do or experience is exactly why it's worth exploring them. 

That might have been the point of the entire show. The master mind saved the world, and Darlene and Mr. Robot. Not Elliott. 

Snickers said:
I got that wrong...lol. I was thrown off by Dom the traffic cop saying he looked nothing like his license picture.

Overall a pretty fantastic, trippy conclusion to the series. This series goes down as one of my all-time favorites. Amazing acting, great variety of storytelling and excellent use of music. Going to really miss it.
There are a lot of loose ends like why does police Dom see someone different than dead Elliott. I guess just left up to us to interpret from the knowns.  

Daywalker said:
Was satisfying.  Could have gone really bad.  

I would have liked to see him transform at the end though.  
I loved the reveal that the master mind, the one that's brought us along the whole time, isnt the real Elliott.  My only complaint was how dramatic it was in the end with the life portal, soundtrack,  etc.  I I would have been a lot more subtle about it, and yes, seeing the real Elliott. I'm guessing we've never seen him.  But that's ok too, if we weren't meant to.  

Stuff you're NEVER supposed to do or experience is exactly why it's worth exploring them. 
I'm with wikkid. Something that would closely resemble a paranoid schizophrenic state or a dissociative one is not fun and causes, untreated, much pain to the sufferers. If that perception of reality were indeed real, only the greatest egoist could make it be desirable.

And, ahem, we are not gods, but bugs. I half-heartedly kid about that. 

I'm with wikkid. Something that would closely resemble a paranoid schizophrenic state or a dissociative one is not fun and causes, untreated, much pain to the sufferers. If that perception of reality were indeed real, only the greatest egoist could make it be desirable.

And, ahem, we are not gods, but bugs. I half-heartedly kid about that. 
The master mind saved the world. Not Elliott. 

That was all in the puzzle fiction, so it doesn't matter 
Sure in the grand scheme of things, but, there is a reason for everything. Why things in the made up world, made for real Elliott, manifested themselves different to the mastermind when he forgot about the place is fascinating.  It doesn’t really matter is probably why a lot of it is left up to us, unexplained. 

There are a lot of loose ends like why does police Dom see someone different than dead Elliott. I guess just left up to us to interpret from the knowns.  
This bothered me too and led me to think that there was going to be some big reveal that Rami Malek was just the representation of the hacker Elliot, and that in real life he was Wellick or something, which would have been pretty bad. While I do think hacker Elliot was how real Elliot looked, there's still cop Dom's reaction, and that the camera at the end revealed only Elliot's eye and not his whole face. But cop Dom's reaction could just be explained by how hacker Elliot didn't belong there and could have just emphasized that he was a different person, although she did say, "You look nothing like him," so who knows. 

I got a major "2001" vibe from the effects of the film projector at the end. Also, I saw a tweet comparing the "Washington Township" sign with the "Hill Valley" sign from Back to the Future. It was a pretty cool detail -- hacker Elliot basically borrowed a bunch of stuff from real Elliot's favorite movie when he "designed" the fake Washington Township to trap him in.

https://twitter.com/astropalma/status/1209169861294907392

I thought this was very good but actually better in the abstract and upon reflection than in the execution.  The Whiterose nuclear plant attack bit was a bit silly, especially after it was confirmed to be real.  Mostly I was happy that Darlene - my favorite character - didn't die and was critical to getting her brother back.  Good series overall but suffered from uneven delays between seasons.  

Really was an amazing show. Confusing as hell at times but I actually thought this season, sans the final episode or two, was the least confusing. The end actually did a nice job explaining things even if it took a while to get there. I agree that these short season shows with large time gaps between seasons are problematic in remembering continuity. This show specifically was poorly served in that format. It would be a good one to go back and binge watch all the way through over a couple of weeks.

The main "story" wrapped up 2-3 episodes ago, and the finale just gave closure to Elliott's issues 
Thanks. I didn’t get what the closure was. Seems like he could of died with the tunnel of light and watching his life in the theater. Was he literally some other guy? Who was Elliot? I dug the hacking stuff but the psychology flew over my head. Was the F-Society stuff real? The ending left me confused as to what all the other episodes were about.

Aerial Assault said:
I thought this was very good but actually better in the abstract and upon reflection than in the execution.  The Whiterose nuclear plant attack bit was a bit silly, especially after it was confirmed to be real.  Mostly I was happy that Darlene - my favorite character - didn't die and was critical to getting her brother back.  Good series overall but suffered from uneven delays between seasons.  
Me too, and shes a real person. 

Everything in the main story /F Society was real. However, the "vigilante hacker" in the hoodie we were watching was just another personality inside Elliott. Like Mr. Robot. That personality has been in control of the body for a long time. First emerging when Elliott jumped out of the window. It took control of his body and ran the show for years. 

At the end, that personality relinquished control and let the "real" Elliott emerge. The hacker personality joined the others in limbo in the back of Elliott's personality to rest until needed again, if ever. 
:goodposting: And the alternate reality we saw in the last two episodes was created by hacker Elliott (the mastermind) in real Elliotts mind in order to keep real Elliott busy this whole time. 

shadyridr said:
So we never saw real Elliot right?

Walking Boot said:
To my knowledge, the original host personality never emerged in a scene 

Bobcat10 said:
End of the day, this would have been a good one to watch over a few weeks/months. 
Agree, I dont think we ever saw real Elliott, but, it would be a good rewatch to make sure and to put the different senses in reality or the imaginary. 

Just loved the last season. So good, on so many levels.

Toward the end O was really worried. How would they reconcile the almost sure need for a “it was a dream!” ending and still not be the lame old “it was a dream” weak ### twist. 

They found a way. 

FYI, remember who the friend is? That Elliot talked to, apparently the only direct communication with his “host.” 

It looked and felt a lot like he was talking to us... the viewer. 

Maybe, he was.

I really liked this show. I would watch one just about hacking without all the other more fanciful stuff that happened but Mr. Robot was great. Don’t love the ending — think my theory of him being in a coma since the window incident would have worked because so much became pretty far fetched later — like a kid would view the world of a hacker with super powers and an evil empire to battle etc. 

Its possible real Elliot looked like a completely different person. 
Compared to the vigilante hacker?  I think that's likely and we were simply presented with Elliot's vision of the hacker personality. 

I also can't think of another reason why that NYPD Dom scene was written into the show, especially when the "two" Elliot's commented on how they look alike and everyone that the hacker ran into thought he was Elliot.  I realize that all happens in Elliot's mind though, so the writers could literally do whatever they want to mess with us.

Could be way off here. 

I really liked this show. I would watch one just about hacking without all the other more fanciful stuff that happened but Mr. Robot was great. Don’t love the ending — think my theory of him being in a coma since the window incident would have worked because so much became pretty far fetched later — like a kid would view the world of a hacker with super powers and an evil empire to battle etc. 
In a way, he was “in a coma” (a conscious, walled off from realty coma) since that fall.  His reality was augmented from the truth since that moment

i am decidedly not thankful for the finale causing "domo origato, Mr Roboto" to be popping into my head w impunity for the 1st time in 40 years

Started streaming this recently. Really liked most of the first season. Season 2 is feeling like a slog half-way through. Worth sticking with?

Thanks, will stay with it (and tell my wife it should get better)
It might be my favorite of the more recent shows. There's an episode coming up in Season 3, I think, with some amazing long action shots. Pay attention to Season 2, because I didn't, and I think I need to watch it again for parts which probably make more sense with it being finished now.

I watched (and loved season 1).  I watched the first 2 episodes of season 2 and just fell off for some reason.  I need to pick it back up.

Users who are viewing this thread