Sneaker Pimps: 6 Underground

Edwyn Collins - Never Met A Girl Like You Before

Stars - Hum

Breeders - Cannonball

Cornershop - Brimful of Asha

Girlfriend - Matthew Sweet

Love all these picks. Great thread.

The Verve Pipe

Came in here to post this exact song. Was a big fan back in the day. Kind of caught on, but not as well as I thought it should have....
I remember that song being HUGE. I was in 9th grade when it hit, so maybe it was just more popular amongst my friends.

The Verve Pipe

Came in here to post this exact song. Was a big fan back in the day. Kind of caught on, but not as well as I thought it should have....
I remember that song being HUGE. I was in 9th grade when it hit, so maybe it was just more popular amongst my friends.

They were from Michigan. They used to play at Ferris St. when I was there.

::goodtimes::

90s

great call.

Coming up with all these bands that played the LSU bars in the early 90s. Was thinking about Dash Rip Rock's "Let's Go Smoke Some Pot", too, but wasn't sure if that made it nationally.

never heard of Dash Rip Rock, but i'm West Coast.

West coast guy here too, but I am aware of them.

ETA: vaguely

Ooh, glad no one picked my selection yet: "In a Daydream" by the Freddy Jones Band. Catchy song with four (I think) multitracked guitar parts and two solos featuring awesome use of a delay pedal. A tremendous mood creator - - every time I play it I'm right back where I first heard it.

The song I really liked from Filter was "Take a Picture."

I really liked how some nice musicianship snuck into some of these 90s one-hit-or-close-wonder songs. Like the third verse of "Cumbersome" where the singer moderates his growl and sings over the bass line and hi-hat, no guitar. Or that outstanding guitar riff in "Far Behind." There was some really good stuff out there and it's hard to see why some of these bands didn't catch on.

RL, Matthew Sweet does a series of cover albums with Susanna Hoffs (who is still quite hot in her mid-fifties) that get released from time to time and are very cool; melodic and very faithful to the originals. They did a beautiful job with "Free Fallin'" and Yes' "Your Move/All Good People," among many other offerings over the years: I think they've done five or six compilations.

Great thread.

Archived