Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Throwback Thursday Category: 90s Alternative One Hit Wonders

• Replies 537
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Verve Pipe

Came in here to post this exact song. Was a big fan back in the day. Kind of caught on, but not as well as I thought it should have....
I remember that song being HUGE. I was in 9th grade when it hit, so maybe it was just more popular amongst my friends.

I was a senior in college. Maybe it was bigger mainstream and not so much with the college alternative crowd I hung with.

On the edge between metal and alternative:

Helmet - Unsung

Pretty much one of my favorite bands of all time, and one of the best Beavis & Butthead "videos".

Song: nuh nuh nuh.... nuh nuh nuh... pause pause... nuh nuh nuh

Butthead: uhhhhh....

Beavis: mmmmmm

Butthead: this is pretty cool

Beavis: yeah yeah.... these guys are like... they're kinda just like regular guys

Butthead: yeah.... it's like, you can walk up to them and say "hey guys... you want a heineken?"

:rofl:

Also, missed out on seeing them at SXSW in Austin. I hate myself.

by the Violent Femmes (also, they put on awesome shows in the 90's)

Though the song is from 1983 or so, Violent Femmes had a huge breakout/revival in the early-90s. Pretty sure "Blister in the Sun" was heard more and sold more in, say, 1991, than in 1983.

Possible party foul.

Pretty sure that was first recorded in like the mid-80s, if not earlier.

ETA: I just checked. 1983 pal.

My bad. I had no idea. Shouldn't have gone with a soundtrack's copyright date. It just screams the 90's to me.

I'm pretty sure that I still have the CDs for about 75% of the songs posted in here. :bag:

:lol: Friggin' BMG and Columbia House. I worked them over so good in the early-mid-90's. Real easy when you moved every year in college and could make up fictitious names with your dorm mailbox quite easily. I easily got 300+ CDs in a few years.... and still have most if not all of them.

Though the song is from 1983 or so, Violent Femmes had a huge breakout/revival in the early-90s. Pretty sure "Blister in the Sun" was heard more and sold more in, say, 1991, than in 1983.

Yup, had no idea they existed in the 80's and got into them in 92-93ish

The Verve Pipe

Came in here to post this exact song. Was a big fan back in the day. Kind of caught on, but not as well as I thought it should have....
I remember that song being HUGE. I was in 9th grade when it hit, so maybe it was just more popular amongst my friends.

They were from Michigan. They used to play at Ferris St. when I was there.

::goodtimes::

Im also from Michigan so that's another reason they may have been even bigger in my memory. I didn't realize they were local though.

I'm pretty sure that I still have the CDs for about 75% of the songs posted in here. :bag:

:lol: Friggin' BMG and Columbia House. I worked them over so good in the early-mid-90's. Real easy when you moved every year in college and could make up fictitious names with your dorm mailbox quite easily. I easily got 300+ CDs in a few years.... and still have most if not all of them.

12 CDs for a penny???? Why wouldn'tcha?

Yeah. "Mike Jordan" probably owes BMG like $1,500 right now. :oldunsure:

Yeah. "Mike Jordan" probably owes BMG like $1,500 right now. :oldunsure:

:lmao:

On the edge between metal and alternative:

Helmet - Unsung

Pretty much one of my favorite bands of all time, and one of the best Beavis & Butthead "videos".

Song: nuh nuh nuh.... nuh nuh nuh... pause pause... nuh nuh nuh

Butthead: uhhhhh....

Beavis: mmmmmm

Butthead: this is pretty cool

Beavis: yeah yeah.... these guys are like... they're kinda just like regular guys

Butthead: yeah.... it's like, you can walk up to them and say "hey guys... you want a heineken?"

:rofl:

Also, missed out on seeing them at SXSW in Austin. I hate myself.

:lmao:Actually, it was a lot better than I remember...

and must have been thinking about something else with the heineken stuff.... or there was an alternate version of this... i know they said something like that, and thought it was tied to this video... oh well, too many vodka collins back in the mid-90's

by Poe

And

Love Poe. Been waiting for more music but she was tied up in court over her record contract for over 10 years.

Just searched and looks like new album finally coming out in September.

This is a tough one. Originally released in late 1989 but also released on their only official album in 1990. I might need a ruling on this one.

by Mother Love Bone

great band. RIP Andrew.

would call it late 80s though.

Cherry Poppin Daddies - Zoot Suit Riot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IqH3uliwJY

Squirrel Nut Zippers was mentioned above. I remember when swing was like the biggest thing in the world for about 5 minutes.

:lol: Friggin' Swingers. I went out and bought like 4 of those damn shirts. Never got the wallet chain.

There was a CPD/SNZ type of band that'd play this local bar/restaurant here locally that me and my buddies would go see every week.

This is a tough one. Originally released in late 1989 but also released on their only official album in 1990. I might need a ruling on this one.

by Mother Love Bone

great band. RIP Andrew.

I was thinking of Temple Of The Dog for this category, but they had two tunes ("Hunger Strike" and "Say Hello 2 Heaven") that got a lot of airplay even if they didn't chart well.

At least a few songs mentioned in the thread were ultimately dedicated to Wood, including "No Rain".

Ok just two more because I could on forever. Despite my name, I came up in the 90s.

Possum Kingdom (what a #### name for a killer song) by the Toadies (they were just really bad at naming things)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EkwD5rQ-_d4

Superman is Dead by Our Lady Peace

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8CBBtorFg2I

Possum Kingdom is probably my 2nd favorite song in this thread, after Hey Man, Nice Shot.

And I'm a huge Our Lady Peace fan. Saw them in concert 3 times in the late 90's. Superman Is Dead was OK, but my favorite song by them is Starseed.

by Mother Love Bone

great band. RIP Andrew.

Unless you were hitting the Seattle bar scene in 1989, anything grunge-related is pretty staunchly "1990s". I give 'em a pass.

Possible party foul.

Pretty sure that was first recorded in like the mid-80s, if not earlier.

ETA: I just checked. 1983 pal.

My bad. I had no idea. Shouldn't have gone with a soundtrack's copyright date. It just screams the 90's to me.
I like soundtracks. I kind of look at it like it's your favorite directors making a mix tape just for you.

The Offspring certainly isn't a one hit wonder band, but this one hit (Bad Habit) from their breakout album is still the jam and a great stress reliever:

http://youtu.be/_wMa_t5cBgY

Also, a little Social D can never do you wrong:

http://youtu.be/_NWjehpGSO0

Two great Orange County bands. :cool:

I got intimate with some broad that had supposedly nailed a few of the Social D guys. :oldunsure:

And lead singer of the Offspring is probably one of the smartest people on the planet.

Archived