What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Throwback Thursday Category: 90s Alternative One Hit Wonders (1 Viewer)

Wow. If you went to school with Mac, that's a cool story. Superchunk's first four albums are something to behold. Superchunk, Seed Toss (Singles '89-91), No Pocky For Kitty, and On The Mouth were all incredible back then. Wouldn't say they ever had a hit, though.

Their covers were also devastating. 100,000 Fireflies, Train From Kansas City, Brand New Love, etc.

They were critics and musicians, and brilliant at doing both.

I liked Live... but yeah, pretentious- at least they looked that way in the videos.

did a search and Package Thief, by Superchunk didn't come up in this thread. maybe. dunno if it qualifies as "one-hit" since I don't think it was even a hit for them compared to other singles of theirs. Love their early stuff, this song, and especially the video- one of my all-timers... captures every goofy grunge video meme- first time I saw it, I was barely paying attention and didn't realize the troof about the performers in the video.
'Chunk were pretty damn terrific and really pretty cool folks. i got to meet them a couple of times during my college radio days. chatted with them a few years later at a show and picked their brain about their show with MBV and Dinosaur Jr.
I apparently went to college with the lead-singer/writer. :shrug: ... he was a year ahead, and a small school, but I have no memory of ever meeting/talking with him.
Mac? I did radio at a college near Chapel Hill and they were the darling of the NC scene. they were good people as musicians go.

this most self serious, over-wrought band of the 90's this side of REM...

LIVE with "Lakini's Juice"

they had the big hit with "Lightning Crashes" but that other track is who they are.
You couldn't be more wrong. Their first two albums, Mental Jewelry and Throwing Copper were absolutely amazing (not to mention the fact that they are nowhere near a "one-hit wonder.") Unfortunately, this song is from Secret Samadhi, which was ####### horrible. After buying this cd, I was so disappointed, I threw it out of the car window while driving down the interstate.

Try I Alone, Iris, T.B.D., Stage, Operation Spirit, Good Pain, Mental Jewelry. Those are much better indicators of what this band was in the '90's before Ed lost his ####.
Seen/heard anything about ol' Ed lately? Nip over to his official website. You can get him to send you a personal message....for 5 bills. Hell, he'll do a Skype "concert" for 1.5k.
:lmao: What a dooshcanoe. I don't know what happened, but that dude lost his mind.

and sadly, the last time I saw Superchunk live- they flat out sucked... zero, almost negative energy. turned out the two of the band members were dating/involved and had just broken up- or in process of breaking up. made a certain sense based on how little the band seemed to want to be there.
that's an anathema to their persona.

they had the big hit with "Lightning Crashes" but that other track is who they are.
You couldn't be more wrong. Their first two albums, Mental Jewelry and Throwing Copper were absolutely amazing (not to mention the fact that they are nowhere near a "one-hit wonder.") Unfortunately, this song is from Secret Samadhi, which was ####### horrible. After buying this cd, I was so disappointed, I threw it out of the car window while driving down the interstate.

Try I Alone, Iris, T.B.D., Stage, Operation Spirit, Good Pain, Mental Jewelry. Those are much better indicators of what this band was in the '90's before Ed lost his ####.
I had all three of those albums and Secret Samadhi was pretty weak outside of Lakani's Juice. Everybody knew about Throwing Copper, but Mental Jewelry was just about as great. Tons of good stuff on there.

Mac- that's the guy.

I don't know if any of the things I've posted would be considered "hits" or "one-hit-wonders"- apologies if I've missed the point of the thread.

not 'alternative', but would Little Fluffy Clouds by the Orb count?

Seen/heard anything about ol' Ed lately? Nip over to his official website. You can get him to send you a personal message....for 5 bills. Hell, he'll do a Skype "concert" for 1.5k.
:lmao:What a dooshcanoe. I don't know what happened, but that dude lost his mind.
Yeah, he clearly gets high off the smell of his own flatus these days. Actually, I think he's probably always been a little, umm, self-important. My bride happened to be attending college in York when Live was just starting to gain traction. He had the rep for being somewhat pretentious from jump.

If we all threw in 50 bones apiece do you think we could force him to do, like, 3 Britney Spears covers or something? I'm sure he'd love that.

Last edited by a moderator:
and sadly, the last time I saw Superchunk live- they flat out sucked... zero, almost negative energy. turned out the two of the band members were dating/involved and had just broken up- or in process of breaking up. made a certain sense based on how little the band seemed to want to be there.
that's an anathema to their persona.
totally true. I actually left early- that's how bad it was. irving plaza, nyc ~1995-7. also felt like the lack of energy plus a slightly larger venue just went south fast.

saw them a couple years earlier. maybe it was because it was a smaller venue IIRC, but they were all over it- amazing, fun show.

I don't know if any of the things I've posted would be considered "hits" or "one-hit-wonders"- apologies if I've missed the point of the thread.
Do not concern yourself with such trivialities. Really.

You and saintfool can keep right on posting links to songs I've never heard from bands I've never heard of, if that floats your boat. This thread is just meant to be fun.

(No links, sorry...I'm driving and playing on interwebs is illegal, or I'm just lazy)

Road trip mix tape song #1: Tom Cochrane - Life Is A Highway

Hey shy girl, I notice you: Eagle Eye Cherry - Save Tonight

I'm in college now, the existentialism oozes from my mind: Counting Crows - Mr Jones

Now, who's up for some hacky sack?!

:lmao:What a dooshcanoe. I don't know what happened, but that dude lost his mind.
Yeah, he clearly gets high off the smell of his own flatus these days. Actually, I think he's probably always been a little, umm, self-important. My bride happened to be attending college in York when Live was just starting to gain traction. He had the rep for being somewhat pretentious from jump.

If we all threw in 50 bones apiece do you think we could force him to do, like, 3 Britney Spears covers or something? I'm sure he'd love that.
You have reached your quota of positive votes for the day

The Tindersticks have always bugged me. I can't explain it really, other than the singer always sounded like he was trying to knock off Tom Waits(also not much of a fan), but with less phlegm.

The Tindersticks have always bugged me. I can't explain it really, other than the singer always sounded like he was trying to knock off Tom Waits(also not much of a fan), but with less phlegm.
dude has a deep, soulful voice. that's the only common thread between the two i can think of. tindersticks have an uneven output but whatever. they're kind of romantic in their way, i think. certainly not an everyday kind of listen but i dug them.

Okay, you're losing me for good with Spiritualized. I just want to punch that band right in the #### every time I hear them. :D

Over the years I've partaken of quite a large selection of what would probably be classified "Brit rock/Brit pop" variety, and they may have been my least favorite.* Much preferred Starsailor, Kasabian, Turin Brakes, Stereophonics, et al, but most of those bands really don't belong in a '90s thread I suppose.

*I understand no one gives a #### about my tastes in music, but this is the internet.

Did a quick scan through, but a few I don't recall seeing:

God Lives Underwater

Days of the New

Brother Cane

3lb Thrill

Beth Hart Band (Live)

Caroline's Spine - Mentioned yesterday by John Bender, but no link and deserves one.

Also, amazed to see a band that sold 4million copies of an album be considered a one-hit wonder.
I think I've heard of Beth Hart... but otherwise, not one of those are even ringing bells. when are those from?
The 90's. Maybe they where just big in the Northeast :shrug:

I remember God Lives Underwater - that song got a lot of airplay on local college radio (upstate NY). And that Days of the New song was all over MTV and "modern rock" radio...

I absolutely hate this song, but it is definitely deeply imprinted on my brain as being associated with the late 1990s.

I've seen them a few times as well and always thought they were better than the one hit they're destined to be remembered for. Great live band. I always loved when they would play Prince's "Erotic City" and Jake would play keyboards with one hand and drum with the other. That can't be easy.

God Lives Underwater

Days of the New

Brother Cane

3lb Thrill

Beth Hart Band (Live)

Caroline's Spine - Mentioned yesterday by John Bender, but no link and deserves one.

Also, amazed to see a band that sold 4million copies of an album be considered a one-hit wonder.
Caroline's Spine song was also kind of a cool tune about history (though I didn't care about that part of it at the time) about the Brother Sullivan...video rules

Impression that I Get - Mighty Might Bosstones
In the same faux-ska vein (in fact, it could be the same song):

Sell Out - Reel Big Fish
Some of the guys in my fraternity were buddies with these guys in HS outside of LA.

My first submission: Hey Man Nice Shot - Filter
I came to post "Hey Man Nice Shot". It still runs through my head whenever playing Call of Duty or golf.
IMO, this is Filter's best song.

Might be my favorite 90s rock song:

Low by Cracker

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gYdlqjiQPAc
Love Camper Van Beethoven and Cracker:

Eurotrash Girl

Fun personal trivia: I've done extremely dirty things with one of the girls from the video
I jammed out to "Take the Skinhead Bowling" the other day. Shocked it was on the radio. But that's 80's.
i most closely associate CVB and Throwing Muses for my freshman year of college.

Users who are viewing this thread