What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RIP Chris Squire, 1948-2015 (1 Viewer)

Aerial Assault

Footballguy
:(

He passed away last night at his home.

He was on every Yes album (since 1968) and played every Yes live show since the band began in 1968. He was the most talented bass guitarist I've ever heard, as well as an astonishingly skilled backing vocalist, maybe one of rock music's best ever in both departments, and a terrific songwriter.

On a personal note, he, Trevor Rabin and Steve Howe first interested me in music when I was about 12, and my life has never been the same since. I'm so glad I went to all of their most recent shows. The memories from sitting two or three rows from him at the Greek Theater last summer are priceless now.

Rest in peace, Chris. Onward, and on the silent wings of freedom . . . .

Oh, man. This one hit me a lot harder than I thought it would. He and Geddy Lee were hugely responsible for me picking up a bass guitar. To this day they infleunce my playing.

RIP, Fish.

The music world has lost a legend. Any conversation about rock's all-time best players has to include Chris Squire, and his voice was an integral part of the classic Yes harmonies. R.I.P.

Oh, man. This one hit me a lot harder than I thought it would. He and Geddy Lee were hugely responsible for me picking up a bass guitar. To this day they infleunce my playing.

RIP, Fish.
Me too as to the playing. In fact it could hardly be otherwise, as I never even considered playing an instrument until I heard _90125_ in 1983 and then discovered the "classic" Yes catalog. The only modification is that my first and only bass teacher told me that playing with a pick was sacrilege, so the only time I ever use a pick (and sometimes not even then) is when playing a Yes song.

The music world has lost a legend. Any conversation about rock's all-time best players has to include Chris Squire, and his voice was an integral part of the classic Yes harmonies. R.I.P.
You're so right. I think that's what first attracted me to the music as a preteen kid: I had never heard vocal harmonies like that in anything not involving a choir. To this day I prefer bands with players other than the lead vocalist who can really sing, although they don't make them like Chris Squire in that department. :cry: ETA: on their most recent studio album, the best cut ("Believe Again") has soaring backing vocals from Squire throughout, and to my amazement he duplicated them perfectly live last summer. I was close enough and know his voice well enough that I'm reasonably certain it wasn't prerecorded.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is probably my favorite among his body of Yes work:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHl6sDLX8tQ&sns=em
Great choice. He wrote the main riff and it's one of the few Yes songs with an extended bass solo, which is fun. But my favorite part of this bassline (for my money the overall hardest Yes bass part I've ever tried to play) comes near the end, at 9:12 to 9:24, when the bass with that ridiculously cool Rick tone becomes the lead instrument in a way that very, very few bass parts ever do, particularly in "modern" music where the bass is so frequently buried deep down in the mix or just doubling one of the guitar parts.

One of the giants. No question on the Mount Rushmore of rock bass guitarists.

A profound influence on the world of progressive rock. I love Yes. And Chris was an integral part of their sound. A huge loss to the entire music world.

RIP.

RIP

Squire made that band. Great bass player, one of the best of all time.

Tonight I will pay tribute......Classic Yes will be spinning from the Ipod on the drive home.

Great choice. He wrote the main riff and it's one of the few Yes songs with an extended bass solo, which is fun. But my favorite part of this bassline (for my money the overall hardest Yes bass part I've ever tried to play) comes near the end, at 9:12 to 9:24, when the bass with that ridiculously cool Rick tone becomes the lead instrument in a way that very, very few bass parts ever do, particularly in "modern" music where the bass is so frequently buried deep down in the mix or just doubling one of the guitar parts.
I saw Yes in the early 2000's and the building was shaking during this tune.

This is probably my favorite among his body of Yes work:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHl6sDLX8tQ&sns=em
I bet! The last three times I saw them were indoors or at the Greek which has a required noise ceiling, but in earlier shows outdoors Squire's bass would shake the sound system on many tunes, HoS for sure included. Where did you see them?

It's my all time favorite Yes song. Hands down.

He wrote bass lines that not only supported the main melody of the song but were actually mini melodies of their own. That is why if you like Yes music, it is hard to ever get bored of their songs, because you have choices of what you want to listen to: Jon Anderson's soaring melodies, the amazing harmonies of the backing vocals (of which Squire was an integral part), the counterpoint of the bass line, or the intricacies of the keyboards or drums. Chris Squire has to be considered one of the best bass players of all time. He and Geddy Lee are my favorites. We will truly miss this legend, but the good news is that his music lives on. Now I have to go listen to a live recording of "The Fish".

Tonight I will pay tribute......Classic Yes will be spinning from the Ipod on the drive home.
Played the crap out of that in college. Always reminds me of Jon Anderson calling out all the band members for quick solos on "I've Seen All Good People" (Christopher Squire at the 6:11 mark)
Big Yes fan. I spent the last 3 years of college (5 yr plan) commuting from home and spent hundreds of hours in my room listening to music (including tons of Yes) and painted the islands crashing into the water picture on the inside of the Yessongs album. They were taken with an instant camera - hope to find them some day and post.

ETA: I used quick-dry black can spray paint in lieu of having a airspray brush. I covered my face with a cloth but the entire room was a cloud of black dust. Dried paint powder had even gotten into the bottom of closed shoe boxes that were in a closed closet. :lmao:

It took a couple of days clean up but would continue to find remnants years later. Permanently tinted the carpet a slightly darker shade. God love my parents for the patience ...

:(

Very sad news. Simply one of the best ever.

Anyone interested in a free career retrospective of Yes music (a ton of live shows spanning the past 45 years), email me your name and postal mailing address and I will send it out to you.

INFO at RND-DESIGNS dot com

Aerial Assault said:
Ghost Rider said:
The entire battle section of Gates of Delirium is some of the sickest and most melodic bass playing ever put on a rock record:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwhS0htex9Q(10:20 - 15:00 or so)
Yes!! Exactly! Wow, I don't often encounter people who can make trenchant _Relayer_ references. Nicely done! :yes:
:hifive:

Gates of Delirium is simply one of the greatest and most breathtaking pieces of music ever recorded. :yes:

Aerial Assault said:
Ghost Rider said:
The entire battle section of Gates of Delirium is some of the sickest and most melodic bass playing ever put on a rock record:

Yes!! Exactly! Wow, I don't often encounter people who can make trenchant _Relayer_ references. Nicely done! :yes:

Gates of Delirium is simply one of the greatest and most breathtaking pieces of music ever recorded. :yes:
EXCELLENT POSTING

Aerial Assault said:
Ghost Rider said:

It gets better with age. The same applies for me with "Supper's Ready" and "The Camera Eye". The more I listen to them the better they get.

Users who are viewing this thread