What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Key West Vacation (1 Viewer)

ydoc

Footballguy
landing around 930 tomorrow morning in miami and driving down...our one week of the year with no kids...staying at ocean key hotel...

never been so curious what the MUST DO's are....

fly out thursday so a pretty quick trip...

TIA

Take your time getting there (beach day in Marathon) then see if you can bail a day early. One day and two nights there is plenty. Leave early and tour the Glades Wednesday, Ft Lauderdale at night then kick it at the beach Thursday til you fly out.

Good luck getting the misses to agree though.

There are a couple of good threads on it.

I left today after a week.

Recomended restaraunts:

Louie's Backyard (nice place)

The Hog Fish (casual, out of the way)

Santiago's Bodega (tapas style)

Take your time getting there (beach day in Marathon) then see if you can bail a day early. One day and two nights there is plenty. Leave early and tour the Glades Wednesday, Ft Lauderdale at night then kick it at the beach Thursday til you fly out.

One day at the beach is enough??? I'm guessing he went to Key West so he could relax and enjoy a lot of beach time.

One day at the beach is enough??? I'm guessing he went to Key West so he could relax and enjoy a lot of beach time.
There aren't actual beaches in Key West.

Ocean Key's pier is where our wedding reception was held.

There aren't actual beaches in Key West.Ocean Key's pier is where our wedding reception was held.
I stand corrected then. I assume this Marathon Beach is close? How come Google Images has so many beach pictures for Key West?

Last edited by a moderator:
Marathon is about 45 minutes before getting to Key West. Just before the True Lies bridge.

There aren't actual beaches in Key West.Ocean Key's pier is where our wedding reception was held.
I stand corrected then. I assume this Marathon Beach is close? How come Google Images has so many beach pictures for Key West?
I could be wrong, but I think 99% of the beaches there are privately owned.

Marathon is on the other side of the 7 mile bridge. It's probably 45 minutes to an hour from Key West. Bahia Honda State Park is on Big Pine Key (a little bit before you get to 7 mile bridge) and where I'd recommend going for a day of chillin' on the beach.

Just left yesterday after a 3 day trip. It was great. Would go back again. Stayed at the Casa Marina, and rented bikes to get around

Restaurants

Louie's Backyard - get reservations for outdoor seating. Heavy food...we ordered too much...but it was pretty good

Blue Heaven - funky little breakfast place...was very cool. Likely will be a wait

El Meson de Pepe - great little Cuban restaurant - https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=El+Meson+de+Pepe+Key+West,+FL&stick=H4sIAAAAAAAAAGOovnz8BQMDQz8Hm5SIoZGBuYmpmYWxmYWFmZmFqbmpsYkSVlEvweTSpMQ8haLU4pLE0qLEvJLiII7s1EqFcqBAlBSMpYCh6hCjqkGFhUWKYZKhsUliiqWpkbG5uZVBhXFacmqqpVGaubmJmXGSaWppTPqOy5d2nxA_svuDoWOH_aan_48AAJeuppqsAAAA&rlst=n

Goldman's bagels - I'm a huge bagel guy and we don't get good ones in New Orleans, so we went here...it had great breakfast, although it was in a strip mall

Activities

I enjoyed just riding bikes around and checking out the place

Danger Sunset Wine and Cheese Sail - $80/person, but it was worth it...a really cool 2 hours

Just walk up and down Duvall and find the place you like

there are some beaches, just not that great... Smathers beach is the largest - we like snorkeling off of the beach at Fort Zachary.. best 'real' beach nearby is Bahia Honda

The Westin near Mallory Square is a total ####hole IMO unless you are staying on Sunset Key. Avoid this place.

I was actually unimpressed with the Casa Marina Waldorf....would've preffered to stay in a nice bed and breakfast

Just left yesterday after a 3 day trip. It was great. Would go back again. Stayed at the Casa Marina, and rented bikes to get around

Restaurants

Louie's Backyard - get reservations for outdoor seating. Heavy food...we ordered too much...but it was pretty good

Blue Heaven - funky little breakfast place...was very cool. Likely will be a wait

El Meson de Pepe - great little Cuban restaurant - https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=El+Meson+de+Pepe+Key+West,+FL&stick=H4sIAAAAAAAAAGOovnz8BQMDQz8Hm5SIoZGBuYmpmYWxmYWFmZmFqbmpsYkSVlEvweTSpMQ8haLU4pLE0qLEvJLiII7s1EqFcqBAlBSMpYCh6hCjqkGFhUWKYZKhsUliiqWpkbG5uZVBhXFacmqqpVGaubmJmXGSaWppTPqOy5d2nxA_svuDoWOH_aan_48AAJeuppqsAAAA&rlst=n

Goldman's bagels - I'm a huge bagel guy and we don't get good ones in New Orleans, so we went here...it had great breakfast, although it was in a strip mall

Activities

I enjoyed just riding bikes around and checking out the place

Danger Sunset Wine and Cheese Sail - $80/person, but it was worth it...a really cool 2 hours

Just walk up and down Duvall and find the place you like
If you're ever there again and want Cuban food, this is the only place to go.

I was actually unimpressed with the Casa Marina Waldorf....would've preffered to stay in a nice bed and breakfast
Yeah, I don't get the love for that place. La Concha, which is in the middle of everything, was just as nice.
I had hilton points, so wasn't a huge deal...but I really enjoyed the trip, so when i go back i'll stay somewhere else.

Really felt like I was in another country :thumbup:

Yeah, I don't get the love for that place. La Concha, which is in the middle of everything, was just as nice.
I had hilton points, so wasn't a huge deal...but I really enjoyed the trip, so when i go back i'll stay somewhere else.

Really felt like I was in another country :thumbup:
You're closer to Cuba than you are Walmart in Key West :thumbup: ;)

Interesting.

So if you want to go to beach atmosphere key west is not a good destination?
only a few places have beaches, and the water has tons of seaweed. More of a pool/eat/drink/relax type place IMO
Good to know.

I was thinking of a Key West trip at some point and just assumed it was littered with nice beaches.
If you want nice beaches, you should consider the florida gulf coast

Interesting.

only a few places have beaches, and the water has tons of seaweed. More of a pool/eat/drink/relax type place IMO
Good to know.

I was thinking of a Key West trip at some point and just assumed it was littered with nice beaches.
This. I love the off the beaten path parts of the Keys. There are things I really like about Key West, but it's my least favorite part of the Keys aside from good food. Islamorada and Marathon are more my pace.

Gulf coast beaches are very nice and there are an abundance of them to choose from.

Interesting.

Good to know.

This. I love the off the beaten path parts of the Keys. There are things I really like about Key West, but it's my least favorite part of the Keys aside from good food. Islamorada and Marathon are more my pace.

Gulf coast beaches are very nice and there are an abundance of them to choose from.
Probably worth a thread on its own, but start with Gulf Shores, Alabama and go east until Panama City and the beaches are pretty great...pick the location depending upon your origin location, budget, vacation desire, etc.

The best stretch of actual beaces is probably Destin heading East to Watercolor/Rosemary Beach

Interesting.

Good to know.

I was kind thinking an island or key west but this changes things if Key West doesn't have beaches.

Interesting.

Good to know.

I was kind thinking an island or key west but this changes things if Key West doesn't have beaches.
You can venture out to Little Palm Island in the Keys ;)

Key West does have two public beach (the aforementioned Smathers and Fort Zachary). Bahia Honda is on a nearby Key about 40 minutes outside Key West. People tend to go to Key West to eat, drink, and people watch. You can certainly chill on the beaches for some time but you'll probably be drawn to other activities. Also, the water activities that make Key West so great are found off the beach. The snorkeling and fishing are some of the best in the world. Once you're out on the water, it's warm, clear and teeming with life.

Go, you'll love it.

Anyone ever been to the Dry Tortougas (sp?)?
I have not but I've talked to plenty of folks who have and they've all loved it (particularly the snorkeling). It's a couple hour boat trip out of the Keys.
You can also go by sea plane. WIth two little ones (7 and 3) that'd be a loooooooooooooooooong day by boat. Just wondering if it's worth it. I think it'd be cool, just me and the wife. Not sure I want to drag the kids out there though.

I'd recommend getting off the beaten path a little on the way to Key West:

Stop at the Hungry Tarpon at Robbie's Marina in Islamorada and eat a grouper sandwich outside on the patio. Then go hand feed the giant tarpon off of the dock.

As mentioned above, if you want to go to some incredible beaches, Bahia Honda state park is a great spot.

Stop at the 7 Mile Grill in Marathon and sit at the counter to have some Key Lime Pie, or conch chowder or one of their Greek dishes.

I didn't find Key West itself all that amazing. It was cool and I enjoyed it, but I like the upper Keys better.

One thing that we did in Key West that we really enjoyed was a jetski tour of the island. We had a great experience with Hydro Thunder. I'd do it again in a heartbeat, but I would recommend renting a separate water craft for each person, because being on back for the rough sections SUCKED. Also, if available, I would want a tour that focused on the "backcountry" (the super shallow water areas all around the little keys and sandbars) rather than just went all the way around the island.

Stop at the Hungry Tarpon at Robbie's Marina in Islamorada and eat a grouper sandwich outside on the patio. Then go hand feed the giant tarpon off of the dock.

As mentioned above, if you want to go to some incredible beaches, Bahia Honda state park is a great spot.

Stop at the 7 Mile Grill in Marathon and sit at the counter to have some Key Lime Pie, or conch chowder or one of their Greek dishes.

I didn't find Key West itself all that amazing. It was cool and I enjoyed it, but I like the upper Keys better.

One thing that we did in Key West that we really enjoyed was a jetski tour of the island. We had a great experience with Hydro Thunder. I'd do it again in a heartbeat, but I would recommend renting a separate water craft for each person, because being on back for the rough sections SUCKED. Also, if available, I would want a tour that focused on the "backcountry" (the super shallow water areas all around the little keys and sandbars) rather than just went all the way around the island.
This is great advice. There are tons and tons of great spots to stop and experience on your way into Key West. And the backcountry is really beautiful and you're likely to see turtles and dolphins.

This is great advice. There are tons and tons of great spots to stop and experience on your way into Key West. And the backcountry is really beautiful and you're likely to see turtles and dolphins.
Absolutely. Driving the Keys Highway was one of the largest contributors to me embracing the idea of part-time retirement in Florida, despite having made fun of the state (and rightfully so, I might add) for years.

We are thinking we are more likely to buy in Marco Island or that area, but the upper keys are also very intriguing.

I thought the Bloody's at Blue Heaven were sub par. However, I've only found a few places ever that make good bloodies. :shrug:

Anyone ever been to the Dry Tortougas (sp?)?
Yes I have been there. You can take the day ferry out there (I think there are two ferries that make regular trips) or you can camp out there. From memory it was a 2 night maximum. My wife and I spent the maximum number of nights out there. Probably one of the coolest camping trips we have done. Then again, we camped down all the Keys, and this was just one of the stops, but one of the more memorable vacations we have done.

Island itself has no running water, they do have porta-potty, and there is a state park ranger out there should you need medical attention.

But it is very peaceful and the fort is something to see. it is the second largest brick structure in the northern hemisphere (1st is great wall of china). So if you into vacations where you gain a little knowledge other than just the bar talk I'd recommend it. And if you are into camping, the camping out there was a blast.

The snorkeling was decent, but be aware we saw a lot of barracudas when we were out there. the reef is about 150 to 200 yards out from the island. Again, there is medical attention close, but just be aware of the risk.

Interesting.

Good to know.

It has beaches, just not the best beaches. You can go to Smathers Beach and be just fine. If you want the best beaches around, skip the Keys altogether and go to Siesta Key (Sarasota.) Best sand in the world (I've been to basically every island in the Caribbean, Hawaii, etc.) So white it's cool even on a 110 degree day.

Key West has beautiful blue water for swimming/snorkeling and a different kind of nightlife than you're going to find anywhere else. Miami has better beaches than Key West and great nightlife too - if that's your scene. It all depends what you want.

finally got here.....wow...what a long f'n day...

time to get one of these rum drink monkey things....

Interesting.

Good to know.

It has beaches, just not the best beaches. You can go to Smathers Beach and be just fine. If you want the best beaches around, skip the Keys altogether and go to Siesta Key (Sarasota.) Best sand in the world (I've been to basically every island in the Caribbean, Hawaii, etc.) So white it's cool even on a 110 degree day.

Key West has beautiful blue water for swimming/snorkeling and a different kind of nightlife than you're going to find anywhere else. Miami has better beaches than Key West and great nightlife too - if that's your scene. It all depends what you want.
Wow

that does look awesome.

Thanks

Only downside is I have family not too far from tampa who will be bugging me to come over their place.

Will have to make this a non facebook vacation if we go.

This thread has been informative, not that I still wouldn't want to see key west but at least i would know what to expect.

Interesting.

Good to know.

Wow

that does look awesome.

Thanks

Only downside is I have family not too far from tampa who will be bugging me to come over their place.

Will have to make this a non facebook vacation if we go.

This thread has been informative, not that I still wouldn't want to see key west but at least i would know what to expect.
Key West is like being in the Caribbean, only you can drive to it. ENTIRELY different than the gulf coast, Miami, etc. Upper Keys are super laid back, very quiet, great fishing, scenery, etc. Key West is a party, every night. Not the "see and be seen," $14 beers, big-pimping Miami nightlife that I despise. Just a bunch of people having a really good time. Cops don't give a #### what you do, just don't fight or cause a disturbance and you can pretty much do anything. I've seen joints rolled on the hood of a cop car, people boning street-side, etc.

Siesta Key Village has some cool bars too, but the nightlife there is nothing like Key West. It's the party that draws people to KW, if you're not a partier, there are probably better places for you to vacation, although I think you'd have fun regardless.

i think i'm going for the drinking....
:) That's what I was thinking. I went there a few years ago & loved it. The 9.30am frozen margarita seems like part of the uniform.

Make an effort to try the out of the way places to eat, we got a cab driver to take us to somewhere off the tourist track a couple of times and loved it.

Key West is like being in the Caribbean, only you can drive to it. ENTIRELY different than the gulf coast, Miami, etc. Upper Keys are super laid back, very quiet, great fishing, scenery, etc. Key West is a party, every night. Not the "see and be seen," $14 beers, big-pimping Miami nightlife that I despise. Just a bunch of people having a really good time.
Second this. I'm usually a grumpy old man when it comes to nightlife but KW had heaps of cool, laid back bars with good live music. We just walked around stopping at one place after another for an hour or two.

The day trip out of the marina is also pretty good, if you only want to snorkel for an hour or two.

been to KW many times - best stops (for us)

Captain Tony's

Green Parrot

Chart Room

Schooner Wharf

Raw Bar at Turtle Krawls (only longboard in town!)

Garden of Eden rooftop bar (clothing optional)

Afterdeck at Louie's Backyard (great for day drinking)

been to KW many times - best stops (for us)

Captain Tony's

Green Parrot

Chart Room

Schooner Wharf

Raw Bar at Turtle Krawls (only longboard in town!)

Garden of Eden rooftop bar (clothing optional)

Afterdeck at Louie's Backyard (great for day drinking)
We usually end up at the Green Parrot for the live band.

Afternoon spot if you want to catch a game...Island Dogs.

Late afternoon spot for small live band...Hogs Breath.

had a blast at irish kevins tonight....back to the ocean key pool for sunset where we were the only ones in the pool area....weird...

golf cart exploring in morning (i'm too lazy for a bike ride) and sunset cruise in evening tomorrow.....

Users who are viewing this thread