What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Key West Vacation (1 Viewer)

hogs breath was too crowded...

had a beer and fritters at sloppy joe....not bad...

willy t beer was awful....not cuz it was bud light, just cuz it was bad...not sure how they protect all the dollar bills every night...

margaritville was awful....just like it was in maui...

Last edited by a moderator:
wife found some crappy art she likes.....not looking forward to throwing down a bunch of money tomorrow....hopefully she forgets about it...

Do people go to Key West in the summer? I thought they all came to P-town in the summer then went to Key West in the winter. Like one continuous gaylee. :confused:

sevenfish is the best restaurant, though it is very small. I know it is touristy, but I like the late night loud cover bands at Sloppy Joes. If you want an interesting scene, try the clothing optional Garden of Eden. Been there twice, once as a horror show, the other time there was a group of pretty fine looking young women letting loose.

Heading to the Keys in May with my son and a friend of his. Considering finding a place in Key West for the last three days. Son and friend are both 21 and this is their first trip to Key West. I was there last in 1993..

Any updates from a year ago?

Went a few weeks ago . . . It's pretty much a bar crawl in paradise. Little to no beach to be found.

Had a blast at Ricks. All day drinking & permanent liver damage.

Wife and I are taking our first non-0kids vacation in November.  Any recommendations would be appreciated.  I want to drink and screw mainly.  I think she might want to also lay out by a pool or beach.  Keys sounds like fun and it's kind of iconic.  We did Cancun all inclusive for our honeymoon back in 2000 and I'd like to knock this one out of the park. 

We are headed to Key West for my sons baseball tournament. Key West Craze.

I have not been there since 1993 yet I have lived in South Florida my entire life LOL. I just don't care for it. But it should be a fun weekend of baseball and some drinking with the parents.

I'm th

Key West is like being in the Caribbean, only you can drive to it. ENTIRELY different than the gulf coast, Miami, etc. Upper Keys are super laid back, very quiet, great fishing, scenery, etc. Key West is a party, every night. Not the "see and be seen," $14 beers, big-pimping Miami nightlife that I despise. Just a bunch of people having a really good time. Cops don't give a #### what you do, just don't fight or cause a disturbance and you can pretty much do anything. I've seen joints rolled on the hood of a cop car, people boning street-side, etc.

Siesta Key Village has some cool bars too, but the nightlife there is nothing like Key West. It's the party that draws people to KW, if you're not a partier, there are probably better places for you to vacation, although I think you'd have fun regardless.
I like to party.  Wife will party but is more low-key.  Frankly I think she's just exhausted most of the time.  Anyway I am thinking of staying on Marathon but I know nothing about the keys at all.  You seem to know what your talking about.  We only have 5 days.  I think my wife envisions laying on the beach whereas I am more into the whole party and laughing with drinks and food type thing.  What do you suggest?  

If we stayed at Marathon Key Tranquility bay, can we just drive to key west from there?  

I'm th

I like to party.  Wife will party but is more low-key.  Frankly I think she's just exhausted most of the time.  Anyway I am thinking of staying on Marathon but I know nothing about the keys at all.  You seem to know what your talking about.  We only have 5 days.  I think my wife envisions laying on the beach whereas I am more into the whole party and laughing with drinks and food type thing.  What do you suggest?  

If we stayed at Marathon Key Tranquility bay, can we just drive to key west from there?  
long drive back to Marathon if you plan on drinking in KW - oh, and DO NOT speed on US 1

I would suggest getting a place in KW- (southern side of island is quieter with better access to the few beaches that are there..  then you can walk everywhere

a day trip to Bahia Honda State Park is a must

Just left yesterday after a 3 day trip. It was great. Would go back again. Stayed at the Casa Marina, and rented bikes to get around

Restaurants

Louie's Backyard - get reservations for outdoor seating. Heavy food...we ordered too much...but it was pretty good

Blue Heaven - funky little breakfast place...was very cool. Likely will be a wait

El Meson de Pepe - great little Cuban restaurant - https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=El+Meson+de+Pepe+Key+West,+FL&stick=H4sIAAAAAAAAAGOovnz8BQMDQz8Hm5SIoZGBuYmpmYWxmYWFmZmFqbmpsYkSVlEvweTSpMQ8haLU4pLE0qLEvJLiII7s1EqFcqBAlBSMpYCh6hCjqkGFhUWKYZKhsUliiqWpkbG5uZVBhXFacmqqpVGaubmJmXGSaWppTPqOy5d2nxA_svuDoWOH_aan_48AAJeuppqsAAAA&rlst=n

Goldman's bagels - I'm a huge bagel guy and we don't get good ones in New Orleans, so we went here...it had great breakfast, although it was in a strip mall

Activities

I enjoyed just riding bikes around and checking out the place

Danger Sunset Wine and Cheese Sail - $80/person, but it was worth it...a really cool 2 hours

Just walk up and down Duvall and find the place you like
bump for Saber

I didn't put it in here originally...but we drank all day..whether it was at the hotel or while riding around or at a little restaurant or dive bar along the way.  I would pack a foldable cooler if you want to...works out great for the bikes.

long drive back to Marathon if you plan on drinking in KW - oh, and DO NOT speed on US 1

I would suggest getting a place in KW- (southern side of island is quieter with better access to the few beaches that are there..  then you can walk everywhere

a day trip to Bahia Honda State Park is a must
Excellent.  

bump for Saber

I didn't put it in here originally...but we drank all day..whether it was at the hotel or while riding around or at a little restaurant or dive bar along the way.  I would pack a foldable cooler if you want to...works out great for the bikes.
Now your talking 

Wife and I are taking our first non-0kids vacation in November.  Any recommendations would be appreciated.  I want to drink and screw mainly.  I think she might want to also lay out by a pool or beach.  Keys sounds like fun and it's kind of iconic.  We did Cancun all inclusive for our honeymoon back in 2000 and I'd like to knock this one out of the park. 
We keep saying we are going to go down but we cannot decide on a place to stay. Wife has a bit of high end needs but wants the small beach feel. 

Schooner Wharf to listen to Michael McCloud.  Sets the whole mood of the laid-back, who gives a damn attitude all near the water.

Don't expect high-end because this is a typical KY bar where people watching is part of the sport of being there.

Enjoy.

Schooner's Wharf to listen to Michael McCloud.  Sets the whole mood of the laid-back, who gives a damn attitude all near the water.

Don't expect high-end because this is a typical KY bar where people watching is part of the sport of being there.

Enjoy.
Schooner Wharf one of my favorites-

Also-

Captain Tony's;  Chart Room (if you can find it- AWESOME little bar); Green Parrot; Afterdeck at Louies Backyard (great water view); and Garden of Eden (clothing optional bar on roof of Bull Bar- really cool views but no cameras allowed!)

I usually avoid bars on Duval, but Irish Kevin's can be fun, and Hog's Breath has good music at times

We've stayed with another couple at The Hyatt Windward Point on the airport side of the island for a week for the last six years. Very nice with full Kitchen, two private bedrooms, to full bathrooms.

We always go around the fourth of July. A couple of years ago we booked the Fireworks Cruise from Danger Charters. It was awesome!

Did someone really recommend the Garden of Eden?? Maybe a quick walk through for first timers, but this place will teach you the difference between "good naked" and "bad naked".

A few of my favorite restaurants:

Blue Heaven

Louie's Backyard

Lattitudes (This place is located out on Sunset Key and you have to reserve a spot on the ferry through The Westin resort and Marina).

We've stayed with another couple at The Hyatt Windward Point on the airport side of the island for a week for the last six years. Very nice with full Kitchen, two private bedrooms, to full bathrooms.

We always go around the fourth of July. A couple of years ago we booked the Fireworks Cruise from Danger Charters. It was awesome!

Did someone really recommend the Garden of Eden?? Maybe a quick walk through for first timers, but this place will teach you the difference between "good naked" and "bad naked".

A few of my favorite restaurants:

Blue Heaven

Louie's Backyard

Lattitudes (This place is located out on Sunset Key and you have to reserve a spot on the ferry through The Westin resort and Marina).
:hey: that was me-  we enjoyed the place mainly because it was on a rooftop and you had cool views of town..  fortunately the couple of times we have been there the dressed outnumbered naked 4 to 1..   now there were a few 'creeper nakeds' and fat nakeds, but beer was cold

We are big on drinking at places with live music. a few of my favorites:

Virgilio's is a Martini bar located in an alley behind LaTrattoria Italian Restaurant on Duvall St.

The Smokin' Tuna. Great Music, but eat somewhere else :yucky: .

Schooner Wharf. The food isn't bad, and you can get a good cigar. Next to the water.

The Green Parrot. Stays open till 3 a.m. I think. Kind of our "go to" bar to finish up a night in KW. 

Above I posted a web cam for the Hogs Breath Saloon.  That is a great spot for live music.

Heading there at the end of July. Looking at the Southernmost Beach resort. Has anyone ever stayed there? Also, is it worth it to pay the extra money for the adults only section of the hotel? I think it's Calle the Le Mar and Dewey house or something.

This. I love the off the beaten path parts of the Keys. There are things I really like about Key West, but it's my least favorite part of the Keys aside from good food. Islamorada and Marathon are more my pace.

Gulf coast beaches are very nice and there are an abundance of them to choose from.
So the discussion in this thread came back around to Key West after this brief talk about gulf coast beaches. 

My wife and I are likely going to be in Florida mid to late September and I think gulf coast is more our speed, as we'd like the nicer beaches vs the atmosphere of Key West for this particular trip. Any particular locations/hotels we should target? We basically just want to enjoy the beach and relax, have some good food, maybe a good spa for her, golf for me (if possible, not a requirement). Typically vacation stuff.

This Marriott on Marco Island seems like a good option (although ideally we'd like something a little smaller) but I'm more inexperienced with Florida vacations than I am with Caribbean/Mexico so any personal recommendations would go a long way.

Thanks!

So the discussion in this thread came back around to Key West after this brief talk about gulf coast beaches. 

My wife and I are likely going to be in Florida mid to late September and I think gulf coast is more our speed, as we'd like the nicer beaches vs the atmosphere of Key West for this particular trip. Any particular locations/hotels we should target? We basically just want to enjoy the beach and relax, have some good food, maybe a good spa for her, golf for me (if possible, not a requirement). Typically vacation stuff.

This Marriott on Marco Island seems like a good option (although ideally we'd like something a little smaller) but I'm more inexperienced with Florida vacations than I am with Caribbean/Mexico so any personal recommendations would go a long way.

Thanks!
what part of florida are you going to be in?

Anyone ever stay at Little Palm Island Resort and Spa? My wife and I have been searching for a really nice place to stay. Assuming price isn't an option, what is the best place to stay for a married couple in their late 20s early 30s? We are basically looking to drink, relax, and do some extracurricular activities as well. We like the Little Palm Island Resort and Spa because it's kids free. Also looking at the Southernmost Beach Resort Any suggestions?

Ft. Lauderdale area. We're good with hopping on a quick flight if it's too far to drive. 
Gotcha.  I would consider gulf coast beaches anywhere from Gulf Shores, AL to Panama City, Fl.  You're going to get top notch beaches at any of these places.  The cream of the crop is going to be in the stretch b/w Destin and Panama City (including Sandestin, Watercolor, Seagrove, Seaside).  Destin and Panama City are going to be more touristy, so will be a little more crowded, but more stuff to do.  

If you want a true, first class, unique experience...check out Seaside - http://www.seasidefl.com/.  It's where the Truman Show was filmed and you'll literally feel like you're in some throwback town, but with all amenities (restaurants, shops, etc).  

The watercolor inn is another good option.

Otherwise, depending on what you're looking for there is plenty of stuff on VRBO (look for Santa Rosa Beach).

Happy to answer any other questions.

Gotcha.  I would consider gulf coast beaches anywhere from Gulf Shores, AL to Panama City, Fl.  You're going to get top notch beaches at any of these places.  The cream of the crop is going to be in the stretch b/w Destin and Panama City (including Sandestin, Watercolor, Seagrove, Seaside).  Destin and Panama City are going to be more touristy, so will be a little more crowded, but more stuff to do.  

If you want a true, first class, unique experience...check out Seaside - http://www.seasidefl.com/.  It's where the Truman Show was filmed and you'll literally feel like you're in some throwback town, but with all amenities (restaurants, shops, etc).  

Otherwise, depending on what you're looking for there is plenty of stuff on VRBO (look for Santa Rosa Beach).

Awesome, thanks GB!

Anyone ever stay at Little Palm Island Resort and Spa? My wife and I have been searching for a really nice place to stay. Assuming price isn't an option, what is the best place to stay for a married couple in their late 20s early 30s? We are basically looking to drink, relax, and do some extracurricular activities as well. We like the Little Palm Island Resort and Spa because it's kids free. Also looking at the Southernmost Beach Resort Any suggestions?
We've stayed there for a couple nights.  Kids aren't allowed on the island at all.  Each of the activities cost, so keep that in mind.  You have to rent equipment for anything you want to do.  It's ala cart for almost everything.  Everyone raves over it, but I was left a little "meh" but I'm not sure if that's because I let the hype get to me or what.  I sorta felt nickle'd and dime'd.

Thanks!
Sanibel/Captiva is only a couple hours drive from Ft.Lauderdale.  Sanibel is supposedly the seashell capital of the world. Sanibel has bike paths throughout the island. Captiva is more exclusive.

(Some of Sanibel faces South so you don't get the Gulf sunsets like you do at Captiva and other places.)

Never been to Marco Island but it has a high $ rep.

Been to Destin area a couple times and opt more for the Tampa area beaches (Clearwater thru St. Pete Beach) for family vacation. Very relaxed and low-key.

Southernmost is very nice.  A bit away from Duval but certainly walkable.

Why schlep all the way to the panhandle when you can get much of the same in the Siesta Key/Sarasota area in a few hours drive?  That's where I'd go, but that's just me, everyone has their own preferences.

Why schlep all the way to the panhandle when you can get much of the same in the Siesta Key/Sarasota area in a few hours drive?  That's where I'd go, but that's just me, everyone has their own preferences.
Not sure...never been to that side....just wanted to give my perspective on the panhandle/gulf coast b/c he asked.

Not sure...never been to that side....just wanted to give my perspective on the panhandle/gulf coast b/c he asked.
OK - sorry, I mis-read it.  I've been to the Destin area and absolutely loved it.  Also love the Siesta Key area, just seems like it would be easier for him to get to.  Siesta Key Beach has the most amazing sand I've ever seen to this day, and this is after having been to virtually every major beach on both coasts, the Keys, 90% of the islands in the Caribbean, Hawaii, etc.  That sand is so fine and white that it can be 110 degrees out and not only will you not burn your feet on the sand, it still feels cool.  It's remarkable.  Where I live, in mid-summer, you better have calloused soles (like I used to when I was a teenaged lifeguard) or a pair of flip flops or you're in deep s---.  Good luck parking a chair 40 yards from the water in August and being able to walk to the ocean barefoot without sprinting and yelping. :lol:

So KW is not a good spot for a family (kids 9 and 3) vacation?   :unsure:
It's not that it's not a good spot, it's ok, it's just that KW is really fantastic for adults.  The gulf side of mainland Florida is fantastic for families.  As EG noted, Siesta Key's beach is world class.

Oh, we're definitely checking out KW, but maybe booking 5 nights there wasn't the best idea.  Thinking we may change that to a night or 2. 
I'd recommend staying east and driving down to KW.  Your kids are going to get bored.  They have a few things you can do there and I'd recommend taking them over to tour the coast guard ship (there's a fee) and going to the Eco-Discovery center right next door (no charge).  Outside of that if you aren't doing conch trains or the ghost tours and such, they're going to be nagging you.

Stayed at a pretty nice place in Islamorada last year (Ocean House).  Cheeca Lodge sucks IMO.  Good food and like the laid back vibe.  That's as far south as I want to go in the Keys from now on.  Avoid the Westin Marina in KW at all costs.  Total dump.

Users who are viewing this thread