What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Leonard Fournette, FA (1 Viewer)

Yeah the game script is taking a hard turn against him, but they probably won't abandon the run entirely. He always is capable of making plays off short receptions as well, so who knows. 

His numbers ended up good but what I saw on the Red Zone from Fournette was not impressive. He seemed slow and afraid of contact, I hope I just saw his worst plays......

His numbers ended up good but what I saw on the Red Zone from Fournette was not impressive. He seemed slow and afraid of contact, I hope I just saw his worst plays......
I didn’t watch the game, but Fournette is not slow or afraid of contact. If he was today, it was rust.

I’m just bummed Carlos Hyde stole so much work. RBBC./s

I didn’t watch the game, but Fournette is not slow or afraid of contact. If he was today, it was rust.

I’m just bummed Carlos Hyde stole so much work. RBBC./s
I agree with Fournette having speed and usually looking for contact but that is not what I saw today in limited looks.

As far as RBBC- Fournette 24 carries, Yeldon and Hyde only 3 each, no RBBC

Wow, I saw a 12-14 point game. Came out with over double that and no injury, pretty happy, although the YPC are a concern. 

Where do we see him on the balance of the year (especially with a crumbling JAX team)?

Wow, I saw a 12-14 point game. Came out with over double that and no injury, pretty happy, although the YPC are a concern. 

Where do we see him on the balance of the year (especially with a crumbling JAX team)?
The Jags starting center, who has graded out as the #7 center per PFF so far this year (he had pretty good ratings both with run blocking and pass blocking) was placed on IR today after getting injured last week. The Jags also promoted Ereck Flowers (the same Ereck Flowers who wasn't good enough to cut it on the two deep for arguably the worst OL in the league, the Giants) to starting LT last week. Their OL is an absolute dumpster fire.

The three upsides:

1. Their backup center is Tyler Shatley, who is above average at the position and a pretty good run blocker. He filled in nicely last year and didn't seem to impact Fournette's efficiency much (not that Fournette was ever terribly efficient).
  2. Their ROS schedule is pretty soft, with matchups @Buffalo, home against Indy (no slouch, but beatable as proven this past week), home against WAS (started the season strong, have been absolute garbage lately), @MIA and @HOU (which are both unremarkable in run defense).
  3. The majority of Fournette's successful runs (5+ yards or more) came off the LT, so Flowers wasn't as bad as I probably suspected he would be this past weekend. (https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/charts/player/season/leonard-fournette/FOU564970/2018/10/carry)
I watched most of the game, so this is all anecdotal, but I didn't think he looked like a world beater yesterday. He looked somewhat hesitant behind the line and didn't run with the same power I'm used to seeing from him. I'm chalking most of that up to him shaking off the rust, but honestly I don't see his efficiency getting a ton better this year.

Bold prediction: His YPC is going to hover between 2.5 and 3.0 YPC the rest of the way, only buoyed by long breaks (he won't gain yards consistently in chunks, like some of the top tier guys are doing right now. He'll be dependent on big plays to lift that YPC stat which won't happen frequently), and he's going to live on volume. 

I agree he'll be a locked in starter, but I think expectations will have to be tempered.

I watched most of the game, so this is all anecdotal, but I didn't think he looked like a world beater yesterday. He looked somewhat hesitant behind the line and didn't run with the same power I'm used to seeing from him. I'm chalking most of that up to him shaking off the rust, but honestly I don't see his efficiency getting a ton better this year.
Jags analyst Jeff Lageman said film review showed he left a lot of yards on the field last week.  The holes/gaps were there for 4-5 big plays and Fournette simply didn't capitalize.

Speculated that we may see more Carlos Hyde this week

Jags analyst Jeff Lageman said film review showed he left a lot of yards on the field last week.  The holes/gaps were there for 4-5 big plays and Fournette simply didn't capitalize.

Speculated that we may see more Carlos Hyde this week
I’m going to speculate that Carlos Hyde isn’t capitalizing any more than Fournette, and that this speculation will prove to be nonsense (kind of like posters claiming “they paid a 5th rounder for Hyde, so he’s going to be sharing carries with the RB they took 4th overall a few years back”).

At some point if Fournette keeps being this ineffective and Hyde plays better it will turn into a time share. 

Where Fournette was drafted has zero baring on longterm playing time. His draft pedigree helps short term but he better play better. 

That being said the usage in his forst game back was encouraging. 

Last edited by a moderator:
At some point if Fournette keeps being this ineffective and Hyde plays better it will turn into a time share. 

Where Fournette was drafted has zero baring on longterm playing time. His draft pedigree helps short term but he better play better. 

That being said the usage in his forst game back was encouraging. 
And what data would lead one to believe that five year veteran Carlos Hyde will “play better?”  

Yeah, I’m going to stick to the Jaguars grinding their #4 overall pick as long as he’s healthy over the mediocrity that’s been Hyde, playing on his third team in less than 12 months.  

At some point if Fournette doesn’t play up to the Jaguars expectations, they’ll replace him.  And Carlos Hyde won’t be that guy.

And what data would lead one to believe that five year veteran Carlos Hyde will “play better?”  

Yeah, I’m going to stick to the Jaguars grinding their #4 overall pick as long as he’s healthy over the mediocrity that’s been Hyde, playing on his third team in less than 12 months.  

At some point if Fournette doesn’t play up to the Jaguars expectations, they’ll replace him.  And Carlos Hyde won’t be that guy.
Yeah if I valued Hyde that little I'd agree. I think Hyde is solid though so I view him as a threat. Not trying to change your mind but his draft position has little bearing on his playing time at this point. 

I didn't think he was that ineffective last week after not playing or practicing for over a month. The Steelers are good against the run (only two teams have had over 100 yards rushing against them this year), so it won't be an easy task for him this week. Their OL is a mess too. They are starting Flowers at LT, which is the 4th person to start at that position this year, their center was just placed on IR, and their right guard is questionable.

Yeah if I valued Hyde that little I'd agree. I think Hyde is solid though so I view him as a threat. Not trying to change your mind but his draft position has little bearing on his playing time at this point. 
You think the fact that the Jags drafted Fournette 4th overall eighteen months ago has little bearing on his playing time at this stage?  Yeah, appreciate that opinion but I’d be strongly on the other side of that argument.  If Fournette were averaging 2.8ypc for his career, showing a lack of dedication, and downright flopping as their lead back I might agree.  But there’s none of that going on.  I can’t in a million years imagine ownership, management, or coaches saying “we need less Fournette and more Hyde...that’s the solution.”

You think the fact that the Jags drafted Fournette 4th overall eighteen months ago has little bearing on his playing time at this stage?  Yeah, appreciate that opinion but I’d be strongly on the other side of that argument.  If Fournette were averaging 2.8ypc for his career, showing a lack of dedication, and downright flopping as their lead back I might agree.  But there’s none of that going on.  I can’t in a million years imagine ownership, management, or coaches saying “we need less Fournette and more Hyde...that’s the solution.”
Ok.....I see a scenario where it could turn into an ugly RBBC. Might not. We'll just have to see. I own Fournette and hope it doesn't. 

The assumption of rational coaching... 

Draft capital is also a weird thing.  What's dumber - not giving you a guy you drafted at 1.04 a bell cow role, or not playing a different player in a role (like 3rd down back) the coaches think he is better at then the guy you drafted highly? 

The assumption of rational coaching... 

Draft capital is also a weird thing.  What's dumber - not giving you a guy you drafted at 1.04 a bell cow role, or not playing a different player in a role (like 3rd down back) the coaches think he is better at then the guy you drafted highly? 
TJ Yeldon stills plays his role

It's a game worth of rushing attempts for the Jags in the first half basically but you can see why Hyde worries me. Yes Fournette is going to get the lions share but he was projected before the season, at least by me, as a 3 down back......now he's in a 3 way RBBC. I have to drop him down my dynasty rankings significantly if this usage is a sign of things to come. The fact they are basically running the ball every play is hiding how bad it could be moving forward. 

sigh...…...

It's a game worth of rushing attempts for the Jags in the first half basically but you can see why Hyde worries me. Yes Fournette is going to get the lions share but he was projected before the season, at least by me, as a 3 down back......now he's in a 3 way RBBC. I have to drop him down my dynasty rankings significantly if this usage is a sign of things to come. The fact they are basically running the ball every play is hiding how bad it could be moving forward. 

sigh...…...
It seems obvious but 25 rushes in a half is a lot different than 25 rushes in a game.  No single player runs the ball 25 times in a half.  When your team is running the ball literally every play, you need more rest.

He's looked good today (much better than last week), and has pretty much come out on 3rd downs and when he needed a blow.

sigh...…...

He had 5/56/TD on 5 targets last week, what are you talking about?

He has 14 carries in less than a half, that's why you're seeing other backs get carries. Again, he's on pace for over 30 carries this game, so they're giving other guys touches. 

sigh...…...
Is this schtick?

Id probably be like 8-3 if he'd been healthy all year. Instead I'm 5-6.

Just trying to squeeze into the playoffs as the 6 seed. 

Id probably be like 8-3 if he'd been healthy all year. Instead I'm 5-6.

Just trying to squeeze into the playoffs as the 6 seed. 
Makes two of us pal. Even with Yeldon filling in admirably it wasn’t the same as a guy who could get me 20 a week.

The gift that keeps on giving. Guy wasn't even on the field that play. Hears the whistle and runs all the way across the field so he can get ejected and maybe suspended. Thanks dude.

I used the word “beastly” in my praise of him in this game and he goes an pulls a Beastmode of coming off the bench to getbinto an on-field fight?

Better not lead to a game suspension. 

Love your legs, Lenny. Not so thrilled about what’s between the ears, though. 

What a dummy.  He probably would have scored from the one after the TD was correctly overturned.  Then the Jags ended that drive with zero points.  Then BUF scores a TD... that sequence completely changed the momentum of the game.

I used the word “beastly” in my praise of him in this game and he goes an pulls a Beastmode of coming off the bench to getbinto an on-field fight?

Better not lead to a game suspension. 

Love your legs, Lenny. Not so thrilled about what’s between the ears, though. 
Safe to say no Lenny next week. Shame on my for not picking up Hyde this week when I thought about it. At least I have Yeldon.

Users who are viewing this thread