What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Leonard Fournette, FA (4 Viewers)

I wouldn't worry about him starting there.
I'm worried as a Jets fan, not as a fantasy football fan. We didn't need Bell, we don't need Gore, and we certainly don't need a below-average runner behind a below-average line. Gase would be nuts to do this. 

This might sound weird, but this is good for his dynasty value.  Pending his signing somewhere else of course.  
I'd say that is VERY, VERY optimistic.  It's understandable to want him away from a poor team, bad offense, etc but anytime a player is dumped this way there are extremely good reasons why.  We'll read about them and there's always that thought you posted above regarding a player's dynasty value increasing, but it just doesn't play out that way.  See Antonio Brown just last year.  It seems unlikely Fournette will go full "end career mode" like AB but Fournette always had injury concerns, definitely isn't a workout warrior, and now he's not going to have the touch volume.   He'll also be behind the eight ball learning the scheme wherever he goes.  I'd say his dynasty value is as high as it gets right now.  The only way I see his dynasty value increasing is he's the #2 back somewhere, the #1 back goes down with injury, and he produces.  There may be another big window to trade him away in your league, but this very moment may be the best chance you have.  Some owner in most leagues will gamble (see below).

...anyone trying to trade for him? I sent an offer of a 2nd rounder (probably mid range)
If I owned him I'd send him packing for a 2nd.  If that 2nd was unlikely to be a top 4 pick I'd angle to add a lower tier bench guy/IDP, etc.  Not sure I'd be buying at that cost unless my team was win now, had a desperate need at RB, and I had confidence in him being the main ball carrier somewhere in 2021.  That doesn't seem likely to me, but it's a reasonable gamble.if it does to you.  Good luck.

@JohnnyU will be so upset if he lands there and blows up. Lololol
LF owners can still wish can't they?  I believe the ship has sailed, but in case it hasn't, there are hard facts about his stats that can't be ignore.  He won't get the same volume that he relies on to make him fantasy relevant.   I'm glad I sold him for 1st rd picks when I could.

Last edited by a moderator:
LF owners can still wish can't they?  I believe the ship has sailed, but in case it hasn't, there are hard facts about his stats that can't be ignore.  He won't get the same volume that he relies on to make him fantasy relevant. 
Lol

He's an Arians type back. Just not sure how much they like Jones. We'll know in a couple hours. 

If he doesn't get claimed his chances of playing this year at all go down significantly imo. 

Playing while not getting claimed does make for an interesting strategy, Cotton. 
No I just mean he can sit out and collect that 4 million without risking injury. So I only see 2 scenarios where he could possibly play if he clears wagers. 

1. Some team like maybe Tampa Bay loses their RB and their SB is this year maybe next. I could see them paying more than 4 million for him to play but not a lot more. 

2. He agrees to play for a team for less money because the situation is really good for him. 

He could easily just sit on his couch watching football on Sundays for 4 million this year. 

I don't buy this.  If he doesn't get claimed, all it means is that no one wants to take on his current contract.  If he clears waivers, every team is free to negotiate with him on their terms.  He's a perfect injury replacement for a bunch of contenders.
Why would he do that though if he's making 4 million this year from the Jags to sit at home?

Why would he do that though if he's making 4 million this year from the Jags to sit at home?
Perhaps I'm not understanding what it means to waive a player.  Was his salary guaranteed?

And hell, even if he gets $4mm to stay home, he would be passing up additional money if another team offered him a contract.

No I just mean he can sit out and collect that 4 million without risking injury. So I only see 2 scenarios where he could possibly play if he clears wagers. 

1. Some team like maybe Tampa Bay loses their RB and their SB is this year maybe next. I could see them paying more than 4 million for him to play but not a lot more. 

2. He agrees to play for a team for less money because the situation is really good for him. 

He could easily just sit on his couch watching football on Sundays for 4 million this year. 
Depends on whether or not he wins his grievance. 

rockaction said:
I'm worried as a Jets fan, not as a fantasy football fan. We didn't need Bell, we don't need Gore, and we certainly don't need a below-average runner behind a below-average line. Gase would be nuts to do this. 
Gase is nuts. Having said this I think any team with reasonable cap space would like to pick Fournette up. If nothing more, good insurance against top back going down. 

Perhaps I'm not understanding what it means to waive a player.  Was his salary guaranteed?

And hell, even if he gets $4mm to stay home, he would be passing up additional money if another team offered him a contract.
If a team claims him on waivers, they take on the existing contract. 

If he goes unclaimed, he can negotiate/ sign a new contact with another team. 

His contract was originally guaranteed, but the Jags voided his guarantee after his suspension. If he gets claimed, it won’t matter. But if he goes unclaimed, he’ll file a grievance to attempt to collect the $4 mil from the Jags.  

Depends on the language of his contract if he can double dip. It's my understanding he can't. So he has no incentive to play unless the team is offering more money or it's an amazing opportunity. 

He has zero chance of winning that grievance, lol.

And when would that even be decided?  Likely sometime in the back half of the season, if not later.  Does he take the risk that he gets nothing at all for the season, or sign a team-friendly deal that pays something?

He has zero chance of winning that grievance, lol.

And when would that even be decided?  Likely sometime in the back half of the season, if not later.  Does he take the risk that he gets nothing at all for the season, or sign a team-friendly deal that pays something?
He's also risking his health playing. So I'm not sure where he us on that. I have no idea if he'll win it or not. If he has no chance then it's best for him to pick a spot that fits him best if he goes unclaimed and try to raise his value through his play. 

This does complicate things. He could take a pay cut instead of taking that chance I suppose. I'm not sure what his odds of winning are?
He could take the “pay cut” and play and still file a grievance against the Jags. If he won the Jags would make up the difference on what they owed him.

He's also risking his health playing. So I'm not sure where he us on that. I have no idea if he'll win it or not. If he has no chance then it's best for him to pick a spot that fits him best if he goes unclaimed and try to raise his value through his play. 
Isn't this his best option if he passes waivers no matter what?  He gains no benefit sitting on his couch for future earnings.

Isn't this his best option if he passes waivers no matter what?  He gains no benefit sitting on his couch for future earnings.
Well if the grievance has 0% of winning then yes but earning 4 million with no risk to his health lets him hit FA completely healthy next year. With him likely making 4 times what he would have if he played. So idk.......

Well if the grievance has 0% of winning then yes but earning 4 million with no risk to his health lets him hit FA completely healthy next year. With him likely making 4 times what he would have if he played. So idk.......
I don't think getting cut from a team and sitting out a year will increase his value to other NFL teams even if he is a free agent.  RB's sitting out a year generally don't turn out well

I don't think getting cut from a team and sitting out a year will increase his value to other NFL teams even if he is a free agent.  RB's sitting out a year generally don't turn out well
I don't think it will either. I worded that weird. If he makes 4 million sitting out or 1 million playing. What should he do?

If he does decide to play and blows his knee out will he be more/less valuable next year when he's a FA than he would have been if he sat out. 

I don't think it will either. I worded that weird. If he makes 4 million sitting out or 1 million playing. What should he do?
He should play.  You can't be afraid of injuries.  The only way he is going to get a decent contract is to play and show that he is a quality RB (if he is). 

I guess most of the people on this board respect the personnel moves and abilities of the Jacksonville Jaguars a lot more than I do.

Blake Bortles, Gardner Minshew...

Abysmal offensive linemen

Underwelming owner...

I think I'll just hold on to him and see what happens.  Give him an above average QB and even 2 offensive linemen.  Bucs/Rams/Falcons seem like pretty desireable destinations with really nobody in Fournette's way.  

People really shouldn't drink and make trades.  Good trade for you.
Lol don't congratulate me too much: I gave up Golladay and the 1.12 (turned into Ruggs) in March, to the same owner who traded me Fournette in the first place, because no one would trade me a RB. So that guy turned Deebo into Golladay and Ruggs. And I wasn't even drunk!

Users who are viewing this thread