What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Leonard Fournette, FA (3 Viewers)

Does Johnny U like Fournette, it’s hard to tell?

Guy sees one analytical stat and can’t stop bringing it up every three posts.
I tried not bringing it up more than once, but when people want to point out 4.3 ypc and his increased receptions and think he had good stats I have to point to it again.   I believe the consensus among NFL experts is that LF isn't that good of a RB.  Look, he was cut for a reason and when no one claims him today,  that is also for a reason....all 4M of them.  Teams don't think he's worth it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think everyone is being too harsh on the guy.  I mean... "we built our team to control the ball and win on defense" - until we completely blew up our defense for nothing and had a QB controversey between a 6th round pick and a journeyman QB we paid too much money for.  You'd want to work for that employer?  They've done nothing to help out Fournette and asked him to buy them time while they went through 2 rebuilds in 4 years?  

I'm sorry, but I am quitting on that team too. 
For $20m you should have your heart in it personally regardless of what direction the franchise is heading.  No one here would just tap out and half-### it at their job if the bottom line wasn't as good as everyone wanted, why would this be any different?

Not to mention that 6th round QB pick had one of the best rookie QB seasons in league history on a per game basis so the whole "6th round rookie QB" characterization is intentionally misleading.

Time will tell. Fournette has hardly been the gold standard as a player on or off the field. Jax as hardly been the gold standard for running an NFL franchise. I feel like when the dust settles we'll find out he peed in someone's gas tank or something. If not this thing is just a bit weird.
Kind of reminds me of when the Browns cut bait on Trent Richardson and everyone went through and listed off all the stupid stuff the Browns have done before.

Kind of reminds me of when the Browns cut bait on Trent Richardson and everyone went through and listed off all the stupid stuff the Browns have done before.
Kind of like marrying a beautiful woman then realizing she is bat crazy (not saying TR or LF are bat crazy). 

I tried not bringing it up more than once, but when people want to point out 4.3 ypc and his increased receptions and think he had good stats I have to point to it again.   I believe the consensus among NFL experts is that LF isn't that good of a RB.  Look, he was cut for a reason and when no one claims him today,  that is also for a reason....all 4M of them.  Teams don't think he's worth it.
And again. Lol

JAX is clearly tanking (a blind man can see that) and if no one claims him up that means nothing. If no one signs him at all, that would mean something.

He’s not an elite back but he’s better than you’re trying to make him out to be.

We get it though - you traded him away and now you hope you were correct to do so. Obviously you can post in any thread you want but for some one that was so outspoken about Faust posting links, you repeating the same stat over and over again is far more useless.

JAX is clearly tanking (a blind man can see that) and if no one claims him up that means nothing. If no one signs him at all, that would mean something.

He’s not an elite back but he’s better than you’re trying to make him out to be.

We get it though - you traded him away and now you hope you were correct to do so. Obviously you can post in any thread you want but for some one that was so outspoken about Faust posting links, you repeating the same stat over and over again is far more useless.
I''ll try and not do that going forward.  I even said in my post I didn't like doing it, but some of the other stats were constantly being brought up as well.   Please forgive me :)

Fournette isn't a good RB, simple as that. He could be a useful RBBC guy, ideally as the lesser half, but he's nothing special. He's not a good pass catcher, he's been suspended multiple times, and he's missed a decent amount of games to injury. This idea that he's some stud who as held back by being on the Jags is just silly. 

On a scale where A=Elite B=Pro Bowl C=Decent starter  D=Top backup F=Borderline NFL player, Fournette is a D+.

Oh, I don't know, but when he goes unclaimed today it will show that no NFL team thinks he's worth 4M.  I think a lot of fantasy owners saw this coming.
I did. And so did everyone in my league. Hence why he's still on my roster.

But that doesn't mean he'll be totally worthless if he ends up on a team for less money.

It's actually better for Fournette and his owners if he does go unclaimed. If he gets picked up by the jets or skins he'll just be in another bad spot. 

I did. And so did everyone in my league. Hence why he's still on my roster.

But that doesn't mean he'll be totally worthless if he ends up on a team for less money.
He may not be totally worthless.  I'm not saying he will, but he won't be (and isn't now) worth a 1st rd rookie pick, which was definitely his value before his release.....or at least that's what I saw him going for.

Fournette isn't a good RB, simple as that. He could be a useful RBBC guy, ideally as the lesser half, but he's nothing special. He's not a good pass catcher, he's been suspended multiple times, and he's missed a decent amount of games to injury. This idea that he's some stud who as held back by being on the Jags is just silly. 

On a scale where A=Elite B=Pro Bowl C=Decent starter  D=Top backup F=Borderline NFL player, Fournette is a D+.
To each his own, but LF finished the year 6th in YFS last year . . . on a team that ranked 20th in YFS. He had 1 fumble in 341 touches. Sure, he barely got in the end zone. But his yards per touch was 4.9. Zeke Elliott was 5.0 (on a team that ranked #1 in YFS).

I don't think LF is an A . . . but IMO in the right situation he is higher than a D+.

He may not be totally worthless.  I'm not saying he will, but he won't be (and isn't now) worth a 1st rd rookie pick, which was definitely his value before his release.....or at least that's what I saw him going for.
Obviously he lost value over this. If he lands right you could still get a 1st round rookie pick from some owner but im not selling if he does. Imagine if he lands in Pittsburgh. Conner gone after this year. Not great this year but set up nice for next season. 

If he goes to a good situation and doesn't change everybody's mind I'll be the first to come in here and say I was wrong. I'll even tag you @JohnnyU

To each his own, but LF finished the year 6th in YFS last year . . . on a team that ranked 20th in YFS. He had 1 fumble in 341 touches. Sure, he barely got in the end zone. But his yards per touch was 4.9. Zeke Elliott was 5.0 (on a team that ranked #1 in YFS).

I don't think LF is an A . . . but IMO in the right situation he is higher than a D+.
I agree.  If C. J. Anderson can do it, LF can.

I couldn't get anything like that for him the entirety of last season and all the offseason.

He was an easy hold for me, more valuable in my pocket than in someone else's.  Watching his value decline before my eyes was frustrating, but if you're playing in a competitive space, people are seeing the same things as you.

I do have hope that he'll be motivated by a new environment. I don't care how much money you're earning, watching the company you work for gradually remove every talented person from the organisation and signalling zero ambition, in a pretty weak and winnable division, cannot be motivating. 

He's inefficient and has been unprofessional, but his body hasn't let him down yet and there's still hope that someone can get a tune out of him. He's not a lost cause just yet I don't think. 

Not to derail the thread or anything, but I'd also argue Elliott is one of the most overrated players in the NFL. I think you could plug 10-15 other RB's into his spot in Dallas, and they'd be as good or better. Frankly, if Zeke goes down, I think they'd barely miss him, with Pollard behind him. Elliott would be somewhere on the C area for me. 

Fournette getting 341 touches(3rd most) is why he finished 6th in YFS. I'm also not a fan of yards per touch as a metric, as it skews heavily to guys who caught a lot of passes. The top-3 last year were Ekeler, White, and Duke. 

I thought Fournette looked pretty good as a runner last year. He wasn't great as a pass catcher and him getting 100 targets seems more an indictment of the coaching staff than Fournette. Reminded me of Gurley's 2016, Fisher's last year. The play calling and Oline play was abyssal. Gurley had 278 carries for 885 yards at 3.2 ypc in 2016 and obviously he wasn't washed because he crushed it the following two years. Bad situations can make good RBs look terrible.

The team tried to protect Minshew by "establishing the run" and they didn't have the Oline to succeed when they are that predictable. I see why Jax moved on, they probably should have just done it sooner. Making it obvious that you want to move a guy, complaining that you can't get anyone to take him, then dumping him 10 days before the season starts is something that shows you Jax front office is out of their depth. 

Not to derail the thread or anything, but I'd also argue Elliott is one of the most overrated players in the NFL. I think you could plug 10-15 other RB's into his spot in Dallas, and they'd be as good or better. Frankly, if Zeke goes down, I think they'd barely miss him, with Pollard behind him. Elliott would be somewhere on the C area for me. 

Fournette getting 341 touches(3rd most) is why he finished 6th in YFS. I'm also not a fan of yards per touch as a metric, as it skews heavily to guys who caught a lot of passes. The top-3 last year were Ekeler, White, and Duke. 
I don't really have strong feelings one way or another about Fournette, but amassing 341 touches in a season is a skill all of its own. Not every back gets in a great situation (strong OL, solid QB, lots of offensive weapons, good coordinator, top scoring offense, etc.). So LF could do better in a better situation . . . and other backs would likely have done worse with the Jaguars.

I don't really have strong feelings one way or another about Fournette, but amassing 341 touches in a season is a skill all of its own. Not every back gets in a great situation (strong OL, solid QB, lots of offensive weapons, good coordinator, top scoring offense, etc.). So LF could do better in a better situation . . . and other backs would likely have done worse with the Jaguars.
I don't think a better situation exists for Fournette, than a team willing to give 341 touches to a RB who isn't very good. I think those touches were about a team really trying to make their bad draft pick work, amidst going back and forth between a rookie QB, and another being injured.

I'm not arguing Fournette sucks, just that he isn't good. He's Jordan Howard with slightly more receiving ability. I would agree there are other backs would have done worse, just not anybody who I'd call a good RB.

I don't think a better situation exists for Fournette, than a team willing to give 341 touches to a RB who isn't very good. I think those touches were about a team really trying to make their bad draft pick work, amidst going back and forth between a rookie QB, and another being injured.

I'm not arguing Fournette sucks, just that he isn't good. He's Jordan Howard with slightly more receiving ability. I would agree there are other backs would have done worse, just not anybody who I'd call a good RB.
Ok, we are trending into the realm of the absurd now.

Ok, we are trending into the realm of the absurd now.
You wouldn't be saying that if Leonard Fournette wasn't named Leonard Fournette.

Jordan Howard looked better as a rookie than Fournette has at any point in his career.

And again I will reiterate for the hundredth time in this thread, I was probably one of the highest people on this forum on Fournette coming into the league.  Whether it was between his head or the history of lower leg injuries at no point in his NFL career did he look above average.  Even in his "breakout" rookie year he, frankly, sucked if you watched him.

One thing I find odd about this situation...obviously he was on very thin ice with the Jags but somehow they didn't use one draft pick of the 12 they had this year on a RB.

You wouldn't be saying that if Leonard Fournette wasn't named Leonard Fournette.

Jordan Howard looked better as a rookie than Fournette has at any point in his career.

And again I will reiterate for the hundredth time in this thread, I was probably one of the highest people on this forum on Fournette coming into the league.  Whether it was between his head or the history of lower leg injuries at no point in his NFL career did he look above average.  Even in his "breakout" rookie year he, frankly, sucked if you watched him.
That's not been my impression.  I am on board with the idea that expectations of Fournette exceeded his actual skill set.  But, there's a lot of real estate between that and he "sucked."

@cobalt_27 I've typed out my thoughts on Fournette as a player a lot in this thread already so I'll just refer to those instead of going through it all again.  To sum it up though I think the issue goes far beyond "didn't live up to expectations". 

Fournette is basically a guy who can handle a lot of volume, has OK hands, and who runs relatively fast for as large as he is.  He has almost no lateral agility and most disappointingly of all he's surprisingly easy to bring down for a guy his size.  Being big and fast I'm sure he could put up a great season in a truly special situation where there was tons of open lanes for a big guy to get up to speed.  But you could say that for almost any RB.

Outside of that though I'm not seeing it.  He's just not nearly as good as many people thought he was, myself included.

He could certainly extend his career as a jaggy grinder a la Cedric Benson as EBF noted above, but I'm not paying current prices for a chance at that.

As a guy who was super high on Fournette and had him in all of my dynasty leagues at one point, I'm sorry but I don't get this sentiment.

Health aside, he has looked horrible in the NFL.  He has one play with a nice spin move and one super leap over the pile at the goaline and the rest of his NFL career has been an amalgam of him just running straight and falling over at first contact.

He was a bull in college.  Impossible to bring down.  Whether it's the injuries or just the different game that hasn't been the case in the NFL.  He goes down easily, which isn't good since making people miss is not part of his game.  The stats bear that out as his efficiency has been terrible even with one 90 yard run blown defense run where he just ran straight inflating the numbers.

He's one of those guys where his health and off the field issues have been in the limelight so much that people haven't really paid attention to how he just hasn't looked good as a football player even when he's been out there.  He's compiled some decent volume based fantasy stats at times, but that volume won't hold up if he doesn't actually start doing something impressive with the football.

Again, I don't see why every post with this dude starts with "obviously he's an elite talent", or "he's definitely super talented".

What is his elite talent?  He's relatively fast for a guy his size.  That's pretty much it.  Does he make defenders miss?  No.  Does he break tackles?  Not really.  Does he have excessive strength that actually translates to the football field?  No.

Not just going off box scores here.  I've watched probably every carry this guy has ever had college and pro.  I was rather obsessed with him in college and coming out as a prospect.  In college as a Gator it was so frustrating watching every play where it looked like we were going to bottle him up for 2 yards and he just rammed through it all and picked up 7 yards on the play.  Over and over.

In the NFL, that just hasn't happened for him.  A guy gets a pinky on his thigh and he falls over.  When it looks like he's going to be bottled up for 2 yards he gets 1 yard instead.  He has not looked like anything resembling his draft position in the actual NFL.  If I took away their pre-draft hype and put his play side by side with Latavius Murray's you would not be able to pick out which one was supposed to be a top 5 talent.

Watch a highlight video of Fournette's NFL play and then watch one of Nick Chubb's.  Chubb is everything in the NFL that Fournette was supposed to be.  Elite acceleration, defenders just bouncing off of him at every turn as a 3 yard run turns into a 15 yard run over and over again.  Fournette has been none of that.  Chubb does more impressive on one play in his highlights than Fournette does in his entire video of NFL action.

Looks like Tarzan plays like Jane, and all that.

Interested to see  if he gets claimed. I feel probably not but the prospect of a compensatory pick and the contract fight uncertainty...... 

@cobalt_27 I've typed out my thoughts on Fournette as a player a lot in this thread already so I'll just refer to those instead of going through it all again.  To sum it up though I think the issue goes far beyond "didn't live up to expectations". 
That's fine.  I'm not asking for recapitulation of previously stated opinions to back up contemporary opinions.  I disagree and think his play is a bit more nuanced and positive than what you've described..  

Interested to see  if he gets claimed. I feel probably not but the prospect of a compensatory pick and the contract fight uncertainty...... 
If most teams don't feel like paying him $4M now (and next year as well), then he would not bring much in return for a compensatory pick (which also assumes whatever team loses LF doesn't sign other free agents that cancel out the loss of Fournette). If he accepted a contract from a new team as a FA in 2021 at $4M, based on the most recent compensatory pick awards, the team that signs him this year would earn a 7th round compensatory pick.

AP's Mark Long reports the Jaguars players were "tired of Leonard Fournette."

Everyone seemed to be over the Fournette experience in Jacksonville, including the front office and coaching staff. The NFL agreed with that assessment as well with the Jaguars unable to get "anything" after shopping him for the entire offseason. Fournette only was productive because of volume, not talent. He was one of the worst pass-catchers in the NFL last season and oddly couldn't convert short-yardage work into goal-line touchdowns either. Fournette will get another chance to turn things around -- maybe he just needed a change of scenery -- but tape, efficiency, and even more news reports suggest that he'll likely sign for less than $4 million annually, assuming he goes unclaimed on waivers. His path to touches will be tied to whichever team signs him. Expect reports of who that will be to come out today and tomorrow.

RELATED: 

Jacksonville Jaguars

SOURCE: Matt Hayes on Twitter

Sep 1, 2020, 2:52 PM ET

AP's Mark Long reports the Jaguars players were "tired of Leonard Fournette."

Everyone seemed to be over the Fournette experience in Jacksonville, including the front office and coaching staff. The NFL agreed with that assessment as well with the Jaguars unable to get "anything" after shopping him for the entire offseason. Fournette only was productive because of volume, not talent. He was one of the worst pass-catchers in the NFL last season and oddly couldn't convert short-yardage work into goal-line touchdowns either. Fournette will get another chance to turn things around -- maybe he just needed a change of scenery -- but tape, efficiency, and even more news reports suggest that he'll likely sign for less than $4 million annually, assuming he goes unclaimed on waivers. His path to touches will be tied to whichever team signs him. Expect reports of who that will be to come out today and tomorrow.

RELATED: 

Jacksonville Jaguars

SOURCE: Matt Hayes on Twitter

Sep 1, 2020, 2:52 PM ET
OMG, volume brought up.  duck!!!  Thanks for the post Faust.

I tried not bringing it up more than once, but when people want to point out 4.3 ypc and his increased receptions and think he had good stats I have to point to it again.   I believe the consensus among NFL experts that LF isn't that good of a RB.
Hate to have to agree with the other posters but you seem to clearly have some sort of agenda here, at the very least your complete and utter disdain for the guy seems excessive and a bit irrational, making it hard to believe your posts are anything close to objective. 4Net living rent free in your head man...

Hate to have to agree with the other posters but you seem to clearly have some sort of agenda here, at the very least your complete and utter disdain for the guy seems excessive and a bit irrational, making it hard to believe your posts are anything close to objective. 4Net living rent free in your head man...
That's a little bit much.  Sorry if it comes across like I have something against Fournette, because I don't.  This is just about fantasy football with me.

He just likes repeating himself for days. 
47 minutes ago, Anarchy99 said:

The volume not talent jab is just a typical editorial comment from whomever writes up the blurbs at Rotoworld. It would have been a lot more eye opening if someone from the team said it.

Matt Hayes from Rotoworld?  I wasn't aware of that.

Well, the Rams said no.
I suppose he will latch on with someone.  Not sure if it will be after an injury or before.

Like someone else said, this is probably good for Fournette.  He has more control who he signs with now.

Users who are viewing this thread