What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Leonard Fournette, FA (6 Viewers)

Maybe in the RB room things were tight? NFL locker rooms are not anywhere near the homogenous entities they are painted as, players spend most of their time with their position group and players with adjacent responsibilities. 
It is still a locker room. Everyone knows what is going on. You are still a band of brothers until you are not. I only know this from Turkish prisons. 😉

It's not mutually exclusive for the team to be sick of the player and also shocked when that player is released.

I also wouldn't expect players like Thompson, who literally just got there, to have had time to be sick of him yet.

If I read correctly he wasn't shocked to read players are sick of him, he was shocked to hear he was released.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can understand why people don’t love Michel. But is LF really that much of an upgrade? Is he better than Miller? Harris? IMO, having LF on the roster would equate to zero additional wins for NE this year. 
I agree but that has more to do with positional value than anything else. How many more wins did Vegas add to Cincinnati's win total when they gave Mixon 30 million gtd? What about the Saints? How many wins will they lose if they trade Kamara?

Maybe Sony is more hurt than they are letting on. Word is Harris is running with the 1's. BB will absolutely add Fournette if it's super cheap and makes his team just a little better. 

He obviously is a hot head. I don't think anyone can argue that. Maybe his release will knock him down a notch. I am still a glass half full type of guy.

It's not mutually exclusive for the team to be sick of the player and also shocked when that player is released.

I also wouldn't expect players like Thompson, who literally just got there, to have had time to be sick of him yet.

I agree but that has more to do with positional value than anything else. How many more wins did Vegas add to Cincinnati's win total when they gave Mixon 30 million gtd? What about the Saints? How many wins will they lose if they trade Kamara?

Maybe Sony is more hurt than they are letting on. Word is Harris is running with the 1's. BB will absolutely add Fournette if it's super cheap and makes his team just a little better. 
Is it me, or does every FA gets NE attached to it?

For starters, your intel may not be accurate. Harris was running with the ones BEFORE Michel came back. The first couple of practices after Sony came back, the two alternated reps with the ones. Then the next day they scrimmaged and Michel worked exclusively with the ones and Harris with the reserves. Then something happened to Harris and as far as I know he has not been back to practice (missed the last two practices). Now Miller is back and is said to be getting a ton of work to get him up to speed after missing most of camp.

IMO, in spite of what people may think, the rotation NE has used over the years has typically resulted in top tier RB production as a unit . . . many years over 2000 YFS and 20+ TD. IMO, I don't think they need LF, as he won't move the needle much in terms of improving the offense. So he gets 3 or 4 yards a carry instead of Michel. I also don't see him being an improvement over White as a receiver.

Maybe the offense might be a little less predictable with Fournette playing, but again, I don't see it being a huge impact. So sure, if they decide they want to run the football 600 times this season and rotate all the backs, I guess that might work. But I am not sure the OL has the talent and the depth (or blocking TE's and a FB) to punish teams running the ball all game long. Like I said, LF might be a slight upgrade, but probably not enough to really impact the offense.

Is it me, or does every FA gets NE attached to it?
IIRC, NE had 16 of their top 35 players in snaps from last year move on, retire, or opt out. And they have $34.5 million in cap space now. So they have money and a lot of spots to fill.

That is a fair assessment. I can't argue that without watching a lot of tape. Obviously you have, so I am open to opinions. I have however watched a lot of football that says that you don't just skate by without those talents into the NFL. Talent scouts make a living doing that. You don't just get drafted that high as a project. 
Yea I hear what ur saying.....how bout he's not lived up to expectations, based on his talent and workload.....I've had him two seasons in FF and he's been super frustrating to watch.....and more than his surrounding cast, it seems it's him just running full steam into a pile, with zero patience, vision, etc...

He obviously is a hot head. I don't think anyone can argue that. Maybe his release will knock him down a notch. I am still a glass half full type of guy.
"glass half full" is a dangerous approach IMO.

I'm a "where there is smoke, there is fire" type of guy :)

It's because NE is extremely opportunistic and tries to get everyone "free".

It's like when you put CMC on the trade block in Dynasty and some owners sends you an offer for 1 future 1st and 2 future 2nds "just in case".   :lol:
Easy to say after he broke out, but not so much before that.  When people talk about bad trades of studs they need to keep in mind the context of the time frame in which they did it.  Now if they did that now, it's worse.

0 risk.

The team cud cut him easy enough. The team is filled with Vets and champs and he would behave or be gone.
0 risk? That’s like saying Antonio Brown has zero risk. Just because you can cut a guy easily doesn’t mean there is no risk of poisonous behavior (or literal Covid poison of a player who is immature)

0 risk? That’s like saying Antonio Brown has zero risk. Just because you can cut a guy easily doesn’t mean there is no risk of poisonous behavior (or literal Covid poison of a player who is immature)
I don't think I would have brought COVID into the discussion :shrug:

Chill guys. Please keep this on topic. I am not a mod and have never reported anyone, but can you guys stop attacking? This is a forum to exchange ideas and breaking news. Hell, maybe a lineup question. Just a heads up...you guys are just as dumb as me. I just come here for information, not personal attacks.

Gotta say, one of the most unexpected things this year is that Fournette will basically be putting up the same NFL numbers as 99.9% of the members of this forum this year. 

Did not see that coming.  

And honestly, how bush league was it of the coach to trash him on the way out the door? That just seems like a hack move that will only hurt the team. What player's gonna want to play there after that? 

Gotta say, one of the most unexpected things this year is that Fournette will basically be putting up the same NFL numbers as 99.9% of the members of this forum this year. 

Did not see that coming.  

And honestly, how bush league was it of the coach to trash him on the way out the door? That just seems like a hack move that will only hurt the team. What player's gonna want to play there after that? 
He has f'd me a few times. I wasn't in cell phone range at an aquarium when he got benched on a Sunday at last minute. Anybody that thinks he isn't talented is naive or just wants him to fail. Hopefully a change will help him.

I don't think I would have brought COVID into the discussion :shrug:
Mentioning Covid is important because this season places a premium on good character/good judgment more than we’ve ever seen. Think of the rookie UDFA Seahawks DB who tried to smuggle a girl into the team hotel

Why are we talking about Fournette like he is some toxic player. He was cut because the team wanted his salary back and had nothing to gain paying him in a lost season. When every player that leaves Jax gets colored as a malcontent you start to think that maybe they don't treat their players right in Duval. I remember a report coming out last season that Jaguars players represented 25% of player grievances filed with the NFLPA. The team tried to fine him $99k (!) for sitting on bench when he was inactive in 2018.

Even in what seems like a terrible situation, this time last year the story-line was about how hard Fournette worked in the offseason. Then he put together his first healthy season with career highs in several categories. His team team then drops him 10 days before the season starts and humiliates him by constantly talking about how no team would even give them a 7th for him. His team is trying to smear him because they want his guaranteed money and they are embarrassed they drafted so highly. You guys are buying into that narrative. 

More Patriots smoke per NE beat writer for The Athletic:

Jeff Howe

@jeffphowe

·

23m

The Patriots have expressed interest in Leonard Fournette, per source. We'll see if it leads to anything. The fourth overall pick from 2017 has been a free agent for about 24 hours.

Mentioning Covid is important because this season places a premium on good character/good judgment more than we’ve ever seen. Think of the rookie UDFA Seahawks DB who tried to smuggle a girl into the team hotel
I've seen so called "good character" guys already break that rule in baseball.

Did not see that coming.  

Doug Marrone has always been an #######.

I can't believe he has only been in the league for three years...seems a lot longer then that.
I remember watching his HS highlights and saying, wow, that guy is unbelievable.  Of course we all know that doesn't always translate upwards and we can't measure brain and heart, but yes, I was once on the LF train big time.

Why are we talking about Fournette like he is some toxic player. He was cut because the team wanted his salary back and had nothing to gain paying him in a lost season. When every player that leaves Jax gets colored as a malcontent you start to think that maybe they don't treat their players right in Duval. I remember a report coming out last season that Jaguars players represented 25% of player grievances filed with the NFLPA. The team tried to fine him $99k (!) for sitting on bench when he was inactive in 2018.

Even in what seems like a terrible situation, this time last year the story-line was about how hard Fournette worked in the offseason. Then he put together his first healthy season with career highs in several categories. His team team then drops him 10 days before the season starts and humiliates him by constantly talking about how no team would even give them a 7th for him. His team is trying to smear him because they want his guaranteed money and they are embarrassed they drafted so highly. You guys are buying into that narrative. 
Espn came out with a nice article outlining how the Jags went from 10 minutes from the Superbowl in 2017 to what they are in 2020. Let's just say Management/Coaches come off very poorly with almost every decision made. I believe it mentions that only 2 starters are still there from that record setting defense in 2017.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29783310/line-collapse-how-jaguars-fell-apart-field

Espn came out with a nice article outlining how the Jags went from 10 minutes from the Superbowl in 2017 to what they are in 2020. Let's just say Management/Coaches come off very poorly with almost every decision made. I believe it mentions that only 2 starters are still there from that record setting defense in 2017.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29783310/line-collapse-how-jaguars-fell-apart-field
This is why I have the upmost respect for the Patriots organization.  Having said that, I hope they have 20 years of mediocracy. 

More Patriots smoke per NE beat writer for The Athletic:
If it happens BB disagrees with all the Fournette haters itt. Just saying. 

I also predict a very fun and satisfying year for me and all the other Fournette believers as long as he doesn't get hurt again. 

some of it is probably legit. some of it is def his agent.  if his agent is worth a damn he is hyping teams just kicking the tires with little intention of actually signing him.  and maybe even some teams that arent.  

Did many before? 

Let's face it, not many draft day picks jumping for joy at the Jags calling your number ahead of virtually every other franchise. 
I dunno, they had a little magic going with Minshew the mustache man last year. 

that’s a team & owner that just can’t get out of its own way. 

They were an elite D, they’ve had a ton of talent go through there over the years. They absolutely squandered the career of MJD, who deserved much better for what he brought to the game. 

High draft pick after high draft pick & they’re still just a mess.

@MikeGarafolo
I don’t believe that for a second. Bucs have been talking up RoJo all offseason, Brady said he loves him & the Bucs just said they’re going with RoJo & Dare one receiving downs with Shady as the COP/breather back. 

They're gonna shift gears & bring in Fournette 8 days before the season starts? 

color me skeptical. This is his agent blowing smoke, tryna drum up interest. 

I’m betting Fournette is sitting on his couch on opening day. He’ll sign when someone gets hurt.  

Rotoworld take:

NFL Network's Mike Garafolo reports the Bucs are among "several teams" making a push at signing Leonard Fournette.

A Fournette signing seems to be the only thing that can dampen the strong Ronald Jones training camp hype. It sounds like there are a few teams with relative interest, but it's important to remember that no team was willing to claim him off waivers earlier this week. The Patriots are reportedly one of the other teams in the mix. Fournette likely finds a home by the end of the weekend, if not sooner.

RELATED: 

Tampa Bay Buccaneers

SOURCE: Mike Garafolo on Twitter

Sep 2, 2020, 5:59 PM ET

I don’t believe that for a second. Bucs have been talking up RoJo all offseason, Brady said he loves him & the Bucs just said they’re going with RoJo & Dare one receiving downs with Shady as the COP/breather back. 

They're gonna shift gears & bring in Fournette 8 days before the season starts? 

color me skeptical. This is his agent blowing smoke, tryna drum up interest. 

I’m betting Fournette is sitting on his couch on opening day. He’ll sign when someone gets hurt.  
I don’t think it says anything negative about what they have if they decide to bring in a talented back for “free”. Jones would still start the year and Fournette would see chances at some point.

if he lands on Bucs which is obviously a great landing spot for him.

What can we expect from him??  

2-3 weeks of 6 carries for 30 yards type of games with maybe  TD or two as he adjusts.

But than what?  Do we think he can over take Ronald Jones?  Are we thinking 10-12 touches a game, or more like 12-15.  Are we thinking the Bucs use him as a 4th quarter finisher, or all game long as their passing game will keep defenses honest.  

I honestly think the Bucs are the perfect landing spot for him.

Just heard a discussion on LF and the Pats. The conversation settled on it would be a full blown RBBC in NE with all the backs on the roster getting used. The offense would go extra run heavy with lots of RB used for dump off passes. Basically lots of power sets and Edelman. But it was pretty uniform LF would have a much reduced role and a lot fewer touches. Not sure how appealing that would be to LF. 

I don’t think it says anything negative about what they have if they decide to bring in a talented back for “free”. Jones would still start the year and Fournette would see chances at some point.
I dunno - I'm still skeptical. I concede the possibility, but it seems unlikely. Vaughn at least plays special teams. What's Fournette gonna do if he's not playing? 

He just returned to practice, was slotted right in with the 1s, and reports earlier today were that he looked quick and had "fresh legs". Where are you getting this from?  Pats have Michele, Burkhead, Harris (who was reportedly having a good camp) and White. 

they're  notoriously tight-lipped when it comes to injury, but at the moment Michel isn't hurt at all & I believe is listed atop the depth chart.  

Why do you assume he wouldn't be playing of they brought him in?
Because he isn't as good as Ronald Jones, and the season starts in 8 days. He doesn't know the Bucs playbook, hasn't worked with the QB and why would get time ahead of the guys who do? 

Not like he's LT2 coming in with a HOF resume. It's Leonard Fournette, who's looked mostly like a guy with legs who got a lot of touches for most of his career. 

Why would you think he would be playing if he came in? 

I don't agree with this and the Bucs don't either if they sign Fournette. 
The Jags couldn't even get a 6th for him. 

And if you don't believe that, then I have a hard time trusting your player evaluation, because Ronald Jones > Leonard Fournette. 

That's also a false conclusion - if the Bucs do sign him, it doesn't = at the expense of RoJo.  There's a long hike from point A to point B in that logic trail. 

Users who are viewing this thread