What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Leonard Fournette, FA (7 Viewers)

CBS Sports draft analyst Rob Rang wrote that "I have to question how seriously [LSU RB Leonard Fournette is] taking this [draft] process after coming in at 240 pounds [in Indianapolis]."
Rang did not mince words when it came to Fournette, who blamed water weight for his measuring out at 6-foot, 240 pounds at the Combine (about five pounds over his ideal playing weight). "Prospects should be in the best shape of their life at the combine," Rang writes, adding that he believes "Fournette's stock is falling...and fast." Say what you will for the weight issue, but Fournette's 40-yard time of 4.51 seconds was impressive. While his stock might take a slight hit moving forward, Rang's assertion that he is suddenly plummeting in draft circles strikes as a bit hyperbolic. Odd, considering Rang took the exact opposite angle on FSU RB Dalvin Cook, whose weekend on the whole was checkered with underwhelming testing results. The offshoot the (perceived or not) uncertainty regarding the top two backs in the class is that Stanford's Christian McCaffrey -- who rocked the Combine in almost all respects -- finds himself in a prime position for upward Day 1 mobility.

Source: CBS Sports 
Mar 7 - 9:55 PM

^what?

I thought basically everyone thought he looked chiseled and fantastic.  Thats literally the first snippet I read about him being too heavy.  I thought everyone was impressed especially after his 40.  Strange

One NFL scout told Bob McGinn LSU RB Leonard Fournette "is the real deal" and is "head and shoulders above everybody else.

We are guessing this means at the running back position. McGinn's talks with scouts usually elicit at least one or two negatives for each player, but Fournette's included none. In fact, one evaluator said Fournette's 2-yard runs in 2016 were impressive. We look forward to seeing Fournette's entire athletic profile.

Source: Milwaukee Journal Sentinel

From Rang's ranking it seems like he's just trying to be contrarian.  He says that Cook has vision, so his bad combine means nothing. But because Fournette is overweight, he clearly didn't try hard... even though his 40 time was close to Dalvin's and he weighs 30 lbs more.

and NFL Network said several GMs in attendance weren't remotely worried about his weight and even commented how chiseled and great he looked.  :shrug:

An AFC national scout isn't concerned about LSU RB Leonard Fournette's mediocre vertical jump.
"I was talking to a guy from another team who kept talking about (Leonard) Fournette's vertical jump (28.5 inches)," he said. "Here is a guy who ran a 4.51 (40-yard dash) at 240 pounds and this guy was worried about his vertical. I guess he won't win the team slam dunk championship, but he will run over you." Lance Zierlein indicated that some may infer hip tightness in Fournette's NFL Scouting Combine vertical-leap showing -- only two RBs in the last four NFL Combines had worse verticals -- while others will see it as utterly irrelevant. The story remains the same: Fournette needs to find a team with a downhill scheme.

Source: NFL.com

and NFL Network said several GMs in attendance weren't remotely worried about his weight and even commented how chiseled and great he looked.  :shrug:
Les Miles wanted him to play around 225 lbs. He was 235 last spring and Miles called him out publicly to drop some weight. http://www.nola.com/lsu/index.ssf/2016/05/leonard_fournette_to_les_miles.html

Fournette's own dad said in January that he was down to 227 and had lost 15 lbs. His goal was to get to 225. http://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/sports/lsu/article_038405e0-ddc7-11e6-a572-53d2f9d4e6e1.html

He was cited as being 225lbs in 2015 after losing weight. http://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/sports/lsu/article_53b016ef-be68-54fb-9aa5-bf58eb00f3b2.html

Then he shows up at the Combine at 240, but doesn't have a weight problem.  Yes he ran a fast time because we already know he's fast and he probably only gained .03 to his 40 time.  Someone else who's a 4.60 guy loses 15 lbs and only becomes a 4.57 guy, so they're still slow.

3 years in a row he can't maintain his ideal playing weight, yet people think he doesn't have a weight problem.

Who cares if a guy who still looks like he's cut out of stone is a few pounds "overweight". Either his NFL team will get him where they want him or they won't care that he's at 240. The tiny bit of agility he'd gain by dropping a few pounds isn't his game anyways, at all. 

You're reaching for anything at this point. Stick with the stuff on tape you don't like, it has merit.

Who cares if a guy who still looks like he's cut out of stone is a few pounds "overweight". Either his NFL team will get him where they want him or they won't care that he's at 240. The tiny bit of agility he'd gain by dropping a few pounds isn't his game anyways, at all. 

You're reaching for anything at this point. Stick with the stuff on tape you don't like, it has merit.
Difference between not caring and denying.  And how is it reaching? I presented evidence. If it's normal or common for a supposed elite RB to be annually 10-15 lbs overweight then present the evidence.  Otherwise, admit that he has a weight problem.

Difference between not caring and denying.  And how is it reaching? I presented evidence. If it's normal or common for a supposed elite RB to be annually 10-15 lbs overweight then present the evidence.  Otherwise, admit that he has a weight problem.
I think it's always at least a little bit of a concern when guys are going up and down in weight. But I wouldn't say it's all that rare, even for the top backs.

Ezekiel Elliott has had similar issues. OSU coaches got on him for being overweight after the national championship in the spring going into his junior year. He lost weight in fall camp and had a great junior year.

The next year he showed up to Cowboys camp out of shape and still had a great rookie year. 

Only the third back to go in the Top 5 picks over the past 10 years, Elliott is expected to be a panacea for the Cowboys, helping to protect both Tony Romo and a suspension-ridden defense by juicing a run game that was dominant two seasons ago. So there was some concern when Elliott reported to camp a month ago at 231 pounds. Elliott worked off some of that weight before tweaking his hamstring, and Dallas was careful in bringing him back. But to those who evaluated him, both as a player and a person, coming out of Ohio State, the biggest key for Elliott in transitioning to being a pro won’t come on the field, but in how he disciplines himself under the spotlight of being a high-profile part of America’s Team.
http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2016/08/24/kirk-cousins-washington-redskins-contract-nfl-notebook

It's not a "problem" until he gets into an NFL weight/conditioning/diet program and doesn't do what he's asked. We have no idea where his NFL coaches will want him, and this won't effect his draft status in the least. Again, the dude looks like an Adonis. It's not like a Lacy/TRich issue here.

Are we really doing this? It takes 5 seconds of Google Image searching to find pictures of Fournette looking jacked up and cut as hell during time periods where you said he's "overweight".

His weight is not a concern. He's not Eddie Lacy. Not being at the weight his coaches wanted him at certain points IS the concern, but like I said until he's in an NFL program and fails his coaches it's not going to effect his stock in the least.

It's the dumbest thing to focus on right now and it shows how obsessed you get about guys, to the point where you lose the forest for the trees even when you DO have valid criticism of film.

Are suggesting that Fournette isn't in good shape?  Are you saying he's fat?  Have you ever seen the guy?  Ever?

Worrying about Fournettes weight is about as relevant as worrying about Lebron James receding hairline.
This analogy is terrible. But I did LOL a little, so thanks.

People worrying about  his weight is totally valid. It may end up not being an issue because he is a physical freak. But for a non freak it would be an issue, so until its proven to not be an issue, I understand being skeptical and cautious.

People worrying about  his weight is totally valid. It may end up not being an issue because he is a physical freak. But for a non freak it would be an issue, so until its proven to not be an issue, I understand being skeptical and cautious.
It's not like he's Eddie Lacy. Guy puts on 5 or 10 extra pounds in the offseason is a non issue. He'll be at his playing weight long before the season starts. 

except its not

except its not
it absolutely is

Typically guys that big dont move as well as he does, so lets pretend for a second that, if he were a little more trim it could be an improvement in not only his overall quickness and top end speed, but for his body. I understand he is not a 'typical' person, and that his frame can, and does carry that weight. My point is, people concerned about a guy coming off a foot/leg injury that has bothered him for better than a year, who comes into the combine heavier than normal, isnt unreasonable. He performed very well, which is good. He said it was water weight, which could be absolutely true. But to act like its so egregious for people to be concerned about a guy who is heavy (and reported heavier than expected), and has a recent history of lower body injury, I think is silly.

I personally think he is fine. I accept he is a big framed guy and his size could be an advantage for him. I am not worried about his overall size and weight myself. But I can understand why it could raise the eyebrow of someone else. The fact that some cannot at least empathize with the thought seems crazy

Are we really doing this? It takes 5 seconds of Google Image searching to find pictures of Fournette looking jacked up and cut as hell during time periods where you said he's "overweight".

His weight is not a concern. He's not Eddie Lacy. Not being at the weight his coaches wanted him at certain points IS the concern, but like I said until he's in an NFL program and fails his coaches it's not going to effect his stock in the least.

It's the dumbest thing to focus on right now and it shows how obsessed you get about guys, to the point where you lose the forest for the trees even when you DO have valid criticism of film.
If you think Fournette is cut up or jacked, you need to raise your standards. 

There's a ridiculousness explosion in here.

Saying that it's not even worth mentioning that Fournette has repeatedly checked in weighing more than he or his coaches wanted him to be at is ridiculous.

Likewise, saying that Fournette is not "jacked" is at least equally ridiculous.  If you put that Fournette pic along side those SJax pics and ask 100 people which is more jacked there would be no consensus between the two.

The dude has a 6-pack at 240lbs, for goodness sake.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you think Fournette is cut up or jacked, you need to raise your standards. 
Or not compare as your standard whether college Fournette is as jacked as Steven Jackson was after he had been in the league as a professional.

SayWhat? said:
Or not compare as your standard whether college Fournette is as jacked as Steven Jackson was after he had been in the league as a professional.
That's a pretty good strawman argument.  Steven Jackson is jacked in the pics I showed.  Whether he was jacked or not in college isn't part of the discussion.  Whether Fournette can be or not isn't the argument either.  But keep lying to yourselves.

There's a ridiculousness explosion in here.

Saying that it's not even worth mentioning that Fournette has repeatedly checked in weighing more than he or his coaches wanted him to be at is ridiculous.

Likewise, saying that Fournette is not "jacked" is at least equally ridiculous.  If you put that Fournette pic along side those SJax pics and ask 100 people which is more jacked there would be no consensus between the two.

The dude has a 6-pack at 240lbs, for goodness sake.

Pretty sure 90% of poeple who have no clue who Bo Scarbrough and Leonard Fournette are would say Scarbrough is jacked and not Fournette.

You guys are great at strawman arguments.  The discussion wasn't even whether he is jacked or not.  Let's see if you guys can figure out what it was.

Pretty sure 90% of poeple who have no clue who Bo Scarbrough and Leonard Fournette are would say Scarbrough is jacked and not Fournette.
Scarbrough is more jacked.  Doesn't mean Fournette isn't jacked.

And I noticed you left SJax out of that post.  Again, with no knowledge of who either guy is it'd be 50/50 if you put those two side by side.

You guys are great at strawman arguments.  The discussion wasn't even whether he is jacked or not.  Let's see if you guys can figure out what it was.
I'm late to the argument but I just went back and looked.  Looks like someone said he is jacked, not fat like Eddie Lacy, and you quoted it and contested that while citing SJax as a guy who is jacked.

Sooooo, what team in the top 10 would be best for Fournette's dynasty value?  Kind of worried if he goes to Jacksonville or Carolina.  1 has a bad o-line and bad QB and the other works out of the shotgun a lot, which isn't where Fournette is best.

I'm hoping for the 49ers or the Browns surprisingly.  Shanahan is good for any offense long term, and the Browns just fortified their O-line.  Even with QB troubles, he should be good from year 1.

Scarbrough is more jacked.  Doesn't mean Fournette isn't jacked.

And I noticed you left SJax out of that post.  Again, with no knowledge of who either guy is it'd be 50/50 if you put those two side by side.

I'm late to the argument but I just went back and looked.  Looks like someone said he is jacked, not fat like Eddie Lacy, and you quoted it and contested that while citing SJax as a guy who is jacked.
I left out SJax and you left out Scarbrough.

Someone said Fournette is jacked as evidence that he isn't overweight.  I don't care if Fournette is jacked or not because it wasn't my original point.  But he isn't anyway.  People have conveniently avoided my actual point and the information I presented because they don't have a strong argument against it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Someone said Fournette is jacked as evidence that he isn't overweight.  I don't care if Fournette is jacked or not because it wasn't my original point.  But he isn't anyway.  People have convenient avoided my actual point and the information I presented because they don't have a strong argument against it.
I agreed with your original point.  But you're the one that started the argument on whether or not he was jacked, which he clearly is, and sent the thread down that path.

I agree with you that his inability to maintain the playing weight he and his coaches want is a concern.  I also agree with the poster that said his overweight but jacked physique is of less concern than someone like Eddie Lacy's overweight belly fat problems.

He could look like Butterbean but produces the tape that he does and puts up a 4.51 then who cares? And it seems all this worry is because one guy (Lacy) got fat. But Lacy had 2 RB1 seasons before this was a really problem. And last year he had his highest ypc before getting hurt. I don't want to make this about Lacy but the 1 example isn't even that bad.

If anyone believes the weight is actually an issue then the possibility that he goes the Lev Bell route, loses weight, and gets better, should be on the table too. So the Lacy/Bell arguments should wash each other out, as worst.

Don't get me wrong, Fournette has holes/question marks in his game. Like him getting stone walled when he doesn't have speed into the hole and gets met at the line, coupled with his horrible vertical might be an flag. Or the fact that he missed holes completely and made some bad reads. 

Someone said Fournette is jacked as evidence that he isn't overweight.  I don't care if Fournette is jacked or not because it wasn't my original point.  But he isn't anyway.  People have conveniently avoided my actual point and the information I presented because they don't have a strong argument against it.
I think i speak for the posters on this thread but we all our wondering what exactly you original point is.

Sooooo, what team in the top 10 would be best for Fournette's dynasty value?  Kind of worried if he goes to Jacksonville or Carolina.  1 has a bad o-line and bad QB and the other works out of the shotgun a lot, which isn't where Fournette is best.

I'm hoping for the 49ers or the Browns surprisingly.  Shanahan is good for any offense long term, and the Browns just fortified their O-line.  Even with QB troubles, he should be good from year 1.
The Panthers would adjust their offense to suit LF IMO.  Everyone including Cam has said they need to get back to pounding the ball and coming up with a good ground game.  So I think the Panthers may be a good fantasy fit as well but there is always the Cam vulture TD aspect out there.   But one has to think if they get LF on the goalline they will use him to protect Cam especially given the concussion last year.

Users who are viewing this thread