What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Leonard Fournette, FA (7 Viewers)

Not enough to cover their entire earning potential.

They should be able to make the choice if they play college football or pro football. Not be forced to be exploited in college football for next to nothing.
As much as I disagree with a lot of what the NFL does, they have every right to tell people what age they have to be to work for them. Quit playing will only hurt his draft stock. He would lose millions by sitting out.

It doesn't have to cover their potential earnings. It usually does cover a large portion of their first rookie contract. That is all the a lot of these guys are guaranteed. We have no idea if he will bust, or get hurt in the NFL.

Not enough to cover their entire earning potential.

They should be able to make the choice if they play college football or pro football. Not be forced to be exploited in college football for next to nothing.
As much as I disagree with a lot of what the NFL does, they have every right to tell people what age they have to be to work for them. Quit playing will only hurt his draft stock. He would lose millions by sitting out.

It doesn't have to cover their potential earnings. It usually does cover a large portion of their first rookie contract. That is all the a lot of these guys are guaranteed. We have no idea if he will bust, or get hurt in the NFL.
You're making too much sense...

Rotoworld:

Ninety-seven percent of LSU sophomore RB Leonard Fournette's yards against Alabama came after contact.

Fournette fought for every single one of the 31 yards he accrued on Saturday. He gained exactly one yard all night before contact. Don't read much into Fournette's long night. PFF graded LSU’s run blocking at -15 and Alabama’s run defense at +17.6. Elite NFL running backs like Adrian Peterson or Todd Gurley wouldn't have done much better.

Source: Pro Football Focus

Nov 11 - 9:01 PM

Rotoworld:

LSU sophomore RB Leonard Fournette rushed for 108 yards on 28 carries in Saturday's 38-17 loss to Ole Miss.

While Fournette barely scraped over 108 yards, he deserved a bigger day. On the Tigers' first offensive play of the game, the bruising 6-foot-1, 230-pound sophomore took the ball, turned the ball up field and made several nice moves on his way to a run of 50-plus yards. Said long run was immediately called back on a holding penalty. Fournette opened the season with seven consecutive games of at least 150 yards rushing, but he's slowed in his last three, having rushed for 31, 91 and 108 against Alabama, Arkansas and Ole Miss. Incidentally (or not), LSU lost all three of those games. For the season as a whole, Fournette's rushed for 1,593 yards while scoring 17 touchdowns.

Nov 21 - 7:56 PM

Rotoworld:

LSU sophomore RB Leonard Fournette "showed time and again that the first defender to meet him rarely makes the tackle," The Times-Picayune's Jim Kleinpeter observes.

"Fournette spent the season sidestepping, cutting, running over and running away from defenders. He's the classic power I back because when he's isolated on a defender one-on-one, he almost always wins. Defensive backs fear trying to tackle him," Kleinpeter wrote. The 6-foot-1, 230-pound sophomore finished the year with 1,953 rushing yards and 22 touchdowns. Fournette should head into the 2016 season as a front-runner to win the Heisman.

Source: The Times-Picayune

Jan 6 - 4:04 PM

Rotoworld:

LSU sophomore RB Leonard Fournette's 70 broken tackles as a runner versus Power-5 teams last year ranked No. 2 to Derrick Henrys 71.

Henry compiled only one more despite getting one Power 5 contest. "[Fournette] was the best player in college football for much of the season, and only saw his Heisman candidacy fade after the Tigers struggled down the stretch," wrote Jeff Dooley. Pro Football Focus sees Fournette as the No. 3 returning player in college football. The 6-foot-1, 230-pounder finished last year with 1,953 rushing yards and 22 touchdowns.

Source: Pro Football Focus

ESPN's Mel Kiper ranked LSU junior RB Leonard Fournette No. 3 on his 2017 Big Board.
"Big, bruising, fast ... but let's keep an eye on the mileage," he wrote. "Fournette is a dynamic talent, that rare running back who generates excitement for teams drafting in Round 1. But he carried 300 times last season and is at 487 carries in two years. Will LSU use him up?" Rotoworld's Josh Norris ranks Florida State RB Dalvin Cook slightly ahead of Fournette as the top RB in the class.

Source: ESPN.com 
May 11 - 3:31 PM

LSU junior RB Leonard Fournette responded to HC Les Miles' comments regarding potential unwanted bulk, tweeting "I lost that weight for you big man."
First, we whole-heartedly approve of players casually referring to their coaches as "big man." It is adorable. As to the context of Fournette's comment, Miles has indicated multiple times this offseason that he thinks the 6-foot-1, 230-pounder needs to cut around five pounds (225 is the vague target that Miles set) to ensure that his "strength and speed are maximized." There is nothing wrong with Miles wanting Fournette to cut weight -- plenty of coaches are surely having internal conversations regarding their own players when it comes to conditioning -- but it is odd, to say the least, that Miles has made these comments publicly about his star running back not once, not twice, but three times this offseason.

Source: Leonard Fournette on Twitter
May 13 - 10:18 PM

NFL Media draft analyst Chad Reuter ranked LSU junior RB Leonard Fournette as the second-best player in college football.
Deshaun Watson was No. 1. "Everything that is said about Ezekiel Elliott right now goes for Fournette," Reuter wrote. "The 'five-tool back' has speed, power, agility, can catch the ball and block. His Heisman Trophy chances went by the wayside with his 43-yard performance against Alabama last season, but a strong finish to his 2016 season should lead to an invitation to the ceremony in December." Fournette posted 1,953 yards rushing as a true sophomore last season and led the SEC with 22 rushing touchdowns.

Source: NFL.com
May 13 - 5:26 PM

I think Leonard's workload will decrease a good bit this year.  Darrius Guice is just too good to not get substantial reps in this offense.  I still think he's the best back in the country, and will be spectacular, but I don't think he'll win the Heisman because of this.  I also think everyone, including Leonard will be OK with that.

That Lebron James comparison is interesting. 

I made it a point to watch several of his games last season and I have to agree. Auburn game; when I saw that defender leave his feet and hit Fournette at what looked like a decent angle, but the defender bounced off. :shock:   https://youtu.be/AEmQH5jQSlo?t=2m26s

I can't considering tanking in my dynasty league.  So I'll have to get the trade wheels in motion.  There is no way he is not #1 in my mind.

Wow overselling that much?  The defender didn't hit him at all, he lept right over him and tried to what, bring him down with an arm tackle on the outside shoulder?  Might be the worst tackle effort I have ever seen that had actual effort involved.

I think he's referring to Chubb, but there's been talk about Chubb here and there.
I did miss the "this draft class" reference, but that film doesn't look like Chubb it looks like high school film.  Why not just link one of his UGA runs?  That would be far more recognizable. 

LSU junior RB Leonard Fournette finished with Pro Football Focus' highest running back grade last season.
Fournette led the country in broken tackles last season (85 as a runner, 10 as a receiver). "But what earns him Adrian Peterson comparisons is his combination of strength and speed," Jeff Dooley wrote. "834 of his 1,916 rushing yards last season came on runs of 15 yards or longer, making him a true breakaway threat in addition to his between-the-tackles effectiveness (on rushes on either side of the center, Fournette averaged 6.5 yards per carry)." This offseason, we've also seen Fournette compared to everyone from Bo Jackson to LeBron James. Yeah, we can't wait for the fall either.

Source: Pro Football Focus
Jun 8 - 5:02 PM

Ballage's rushing stats are below average, worse than his teammate Demario Richard (who also got more carries), and much worse than Fournette. If we look at FD+TD+20 per attempt, for example, Ballage had 0.28, Richard had 0.30, average is 0.35, and Fournette had 0.42.

If some complete game videos of his appear then I'll take a closer look.
He wasn't 100% during the first few games after recovering from Mono and lost 15 lbs due to the illness. http://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/college/territorial-cup/2015/11/19/asu-kalen-ballage-dont-judge-a-back-by-his-size/76072368/

There is no way he is not #1 in my mind.
There is to me.

And I love watching this kid run.  Big bruisers are awesome.  Fournette looks like Derrick Henry, but a lot better.  

However, there are several really nice backs this year, and several have much better receiving stats.  If a Dalvin Cook winds up in Oakland, behind that line, there better be some 1,0 talk.  

LSU junior RB Leonard Fournette indicated that he felt like he let people down with his performance against Alabama last season.

Fournette started out the 2015 campaign like a runaway freight train before crashing into Alabama's freight train-busting defense on November 8. He finished the game with just 31 yards rushing. Said Fournette, "[Failing to live up to expectation] was the toughest part. Everybody was down on me: ‘Thirty-one yards and he was not what we expected." The 6-foot-1, 230-pounder said that the tough game strengthened his ties with his coaches and teammates. This season, he will have another crack at Alabama on November 5. If he comes through in that one, it might be enough to boost him to a Heisman showing, assuming the rest of the season unfolds as expected for the star junior.

Source: The Advocate

An anonymous SEC defensive coach explained to ESPN that Alabama found success against LSU junior RB Leonard Fournette in 2015 because they "had two guys touching him when he got to the line of scrimmage."
"You have to get more guys to him, which involves getting off blocks and having the talent to limit the space that he's in," the coach said. "Everybody else is praying they can hold the guy under 200 yards, and to them it was like, 'How many tackles for loss are we going to get?'" The unspoken point here is that most teams simply don't have Alabama's defensive talent. Fournette's numbers bear that out well enough. Last season, he failed to surpass 100 yards rushing in just two of 12 games -- against Alabama (31 yards) and against Arkansas (91 yards). Those games were played in consecutive weeks in November.

Source: ESPN Insider 
Jun 19 - 1:20 PM

If he's not average, then why does he need that extra blocker to look better than average? 
I gotta say, a lot of you guys that are chatter boxes on here get pretty annoying at times with your know-it-all personas and condescending replies.  But laughed at this one.  That was a true LOL moment.  Nice work.

If he's not average, then why does he need that extra blocker to look better than average? 
Seriously?  Are we really trying to decide if he's above average or not?  The extra blocker accounts for the extra tacklers that know he's getting the ball.  It's pretty simple.

Pro Football pegs LSU junior RB Leonard Fournette No. 2 on its preseason Heisman list.

He slides in behind Christian McCaffrey. Last season, Fournette earned PFF's highest rushing grade and broke the most tackles with 85. The 6-foot-1, 230-pounder "looked more agile last year," wrote Steve Palazzolo, "adding a shifty component to his already-impressive combination of size and speed." PFF thought Fournette had a better season than Derrick Henry on a per-snap basis last year. Palazzolo believes "it’s possible that Fournette takes another big step forward as a junior and that’s a scary proposition for opposing defenses."

Source: Pro Football Focus

I gotta say, a lot of you guys that are chatter boxes on here get pretty annoying at times with your know-it-all personas and condescending replies.  But laughed at this one.  That was a true LOL moment.  Nice work.
What's so condescending?  I mean what he wrote made no sense.  It was quite contradictory.  Can you answer the question instead of just deflecting?  Thanks.

Seriously?  Are we really trying to decide if he's above average or not?  The extra blocker accounts for the extra tacklers that know he's getting the ball.  It's pretty simple.
It is simple.  When he didn't run out of I-formation he is worse.  When he lost his starting Fullback he was worse.  So what is so special about him that he couldn't post video game numbers without the two?

The I-formation and Fullback go hand in hand.  It has more to do with where he lines up and less to do with having an extra blocker. 

We don't have to decide.  He is average, to an extent.  Unless you can show me numbers that say he isn't.

He simply possesses poor lateral explosiveness.  That limits what kind of blocking scheme he can play in.  You're basically hoping he goes to a team that uses a Fullback 75% of the time (just pulling an arbitrary figure out there).  If he's going to run out of Shotgun, he isn't any more special than other guys like Hood, Perine, and Cook who run primarily out of Shotgun.  And if he isn't that much better, what's the point of drafting him so high?

Last edited by a moderator:
It is simple.  When he didn't run out of I-formation he is worse.  When he lost his starting Fullback he was worse.  So what is so special about him that he couldn't post video game numbers without the two?

The I-formation and Fullback go hand in hand.  It has more to do with where he lines up and less to do with having an extra blocker. 

We don't have to decide.  He is average, to an extent.  Unless you can show me numbers that say he isn't.

He simply possesses poor lateral explosiveness.  That limits what kind of blocking scheme he can play in.  You're basically hoping he goes to a team that uses a Fullback 75% of the time (just pulling an arbitrary figure out there).  If he's going to run out of Shotgun, he isn't any more special than other guys like Hood, Perine, and Cook who run primarily out of Shotgun.  And if he isn't that much better, what's the point of drafting him so high?
You seem to be drawing a lot of conclusions from that one stat.  He does not lack lateral explosiveness.  

Link

Is someone trying to doubt this kids talent? I want to make sure I read that right and that my pain meds are not screwing with me. This kid will be the face of an NFL team for years.

Is someone trying to doubt this kids talent? I want to make sure I read that right and that my pain meds are not screwing with me. This kid will be the face of an NFL team for years.
Is someone trying to oversell his talent? 

What is there to doubt? Fournette has a clear weakness yet people are so blind, they would lie to themselves that he doesn't when the evidence is presented right in front of them. 

Is someone trying to oversell his talent? 

What is there to doubt? Fournette has a clear weakness yet people are so blind, they would lie to themselves that he doesn't when the evidence is presented right in front of them. 
Ok.  You're right.  That one clip that you reposted from the dynasty thread tells the whole story.  Dude is clearly average and everybody else in the world is blind.  I mean this bum only averages 5.5 yds a carry, except when he's averaging 8.5.  (In the SEC West)  Also doing it with very little support from the passing game.

If you want to argue that there are better backs coming out next year, fine,  I really don't care to argue about that.  You're literally saying he's at best an average back.  That means he's not even good.  That's a ridiculous thing to say.

Ok.  You're right.  That one clip that you reposted from the dynasty thread tells the whole story.  Dude is clearly average and everybody else in the world is blind.  I mean this bum only averages 5.5 yds a carry, except when he's averaging 8.5.  (In the SEC West)  Also doing it with very little support from the passing game.

If you want to argue that there are better backs coming out next year, fine,  I really don't care to argue about that.  You're literally saying he's at best an average back.  That means he's not even good.  That's a ridiculous thing to say.
What's ridiculous is that I never said he's an average back.  I said he he's average under certain conditions.  It's amazing the distance Fournette fanboys would travel to defend him.

He doesn't need an extra blocker to be effective .  It was a ridiculous question. 
Like I said before, it's not just about the extra blocker, it's where the runner lines up that makes him better in the I-formation.

It's ridiculous because you're from Louisiana and you're probably a Fournette fan.  It's ridiculous because he has no weakness, because he did so well having to run to the sideline and create vs Alabama and Arkansas.

You said there's nothing average about Fournette.

It helps to have an extra blocker when you see 9 in the box on a pretty regular basis.  There's nothing average about Fournette. 
Well, there absolutely is something average about him.  And you're not willing to admit it because you're already invested in the lie.

Users who are viewing this thread