What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Leonard Fournette, FA (2 Viewers)

Benson was a headcase as well so lots of similarities there.

The Bengals didn't pay anything of value for Benson when they first grabbed him.  1yr/525k contract to bring him to the team as a FA.
I was speaking more on Lynch. Nobody would have given a 4th up for him if that situation was in this era. 

I think the Chargers and Raiders could both be darkhorse candidates. Anthony Lynn could use a more legit compliment to Eckler and the Raiders could use another thumper behind Jacobs.

Odds on Leonard Fournette’s next team, courtesy of BetOnlineChicago:

Bears 11/4
    New England Patriots 11/4
    Tampa Bay Buccaneers 7/2
    Washington 4/1
    Houston Texans 8/1

I guess most of the people on this board respect the personnel moves and abilities of the Jacksonville Jaguars a lot more than I do.

Blake Bortles, Gardner Minshew...

Abysmal offensive linemen

Underwelming owner...

I think I'll just hold on to him and see what happens.  Give him an above average QB and even 2 offensive linemen.  Bucs/Rams/Falcons seem like pretty desireable destinations with really nobody in Fournette's way.  
I kind of agree with you. Team has had a lot of inside conflict and bickering. Not saying Fournette isn't too blame for some of his poor numbers, but we all know if you are miserable or hate your job, you probably aren't giving your best effort. I wonder if we could see a better more motivated Fournette somewhere else. Wouldn't bet the farm on that, but wouldn't be surprised at all if he looks better somewhere else. 

I have a Stevie Ray Vaughan shirt that I bought at a show in 1986 (that's my oldest one). Sadly, it no longer fits. LOL
They don't have to fit.  Sell it on E-bay.  I saw an old t-shirt for sale once from a concert I went to in 1978 (Great Miami River Festival) selling for $200 on E-Bay.   The concert included the following:  The Beach Boys, Blue Oyster Cult, Jan & Dean, Starcastle, Nitty Gritty Dirt Band (when they were still a rock band, later turned country), and The Cars (before they hit it big).

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess most of the people on this board respect the personnel moves and abilities of the Jacksonville Jaguars a lot more than I do.

Blake Bortles, Gardner Minshew...

Abysmal offensive linemen

Underwelming owner...

I think I'll just hold on to him and see what happens.  Give him an above average QB and even 2 offensive linemen.  Bucs/Rams/Falcons seem like pretty desireable destinations with really nobody in Fournette's way.  
How about in 2012 they drafted a “punter” in the 3rd round and Russell Wilson was taken 5 picks later.

Odds on Leonard Fournette’s next team, courtesy of BetOnlineChicago:

Bears 11/4
    New England Patriots 11/4
    Tampa Bay Buccaneers 7/2
    Washington 4/1
    Houston Texans 8/1
:goodposting:  Bears really could use him. Last thing they want to do is have Cohen back there taking significant snaps.

I chuckle at the Texans. They gave one of the best WRs in footbal in Hopkinsl.....and paying David Johnson $8-10 mil this year I believe. Johnson's definitely the better receiver but give me Fournette running the rock. And they could have easily brought back Hyde (better runner than Johnson IMO) for peanuts.

Anyone remember the rules for signing guys right now? Isn’t there like a 1 week waiting period before free agent signees can join their teams this year? Though I think the Bills signed someone recently and he was in practice shortly after. This season is so screwy.

I feel like the Chiefs should be in play here. They have the cap space, and it seems to make sense from my seat in the peanut gallery.

Just in case anyone wants to feel the pain of being a Jags fan:

2017 Running Back Draft class

1.04 Leonard Fournette

1.08 Christian McCaffrey

2.41 Dalvin Cook

2.48 Joe Mixon

3.67 Alvin Kamara

3.86 Kareem Hunt

3.105 James Conner

4.119 Tarik Cohen

4.143 Marlon Mack

5.182 Aaron Jones

7.249 Chris Carson

UDFA Austin Ekelar

Just in case anyone wants to feel the pain of being a Jags fan:

2017 Running Back Draft class

1.04 Leonard Fournette

1.08 Christian McCaffrey

2.41 Dalvin Cook

2.48 Joe Mixon

3.67 Alvin Kamara

3.86 Kareem Hunt

3.105 James Conner

4.119 Tarik Cohen

4.143 Marlon Mack

5.182 Aaron Jones

7.249 Chris Carson

UDFA Austin Ekelar
Patrick Mahomes and Deshaun Watson were available too, in case Jags fans hadn't thought of that.

They don't have to fit.  Sell it on E-bay.  I saw an old t-shirt for sale once from a concert I went to in 1978 (Great Miami River Festival) selling for $200 on E-Bay.   The concert included the following:  The Beach Boys, Blue Oyster Cult, Jan & Dean, Starcastle, Nitty Gritty Dirt Band (when they were still a rock band, later turned country), and The Cars (before they hit it big).
That's a great show Johnny. But I wouldn't sell my original (not some recent knock-off) Stevie Ray shirt for $1,000. 

Why Jacksonville Drafted Leonard Fournette Will Really Disappoint Jaguars Fans Now

Excerpt:

The backstory of Leonard Fournette is relevant today, as the former fourth overall pick hits the waiver wire, and (fair warning) what I’ll write here is going to be painful for Jaguars fans to hear. After Gus Bradley was fired late in the 2016 season, the team started the process of finding a new coach—and a number of guys that interviewed for the job (Josh McDaniels and Kyle Shanahan were on the list) told the team in no uncertain terms that it needed to move on from 2014 first-rounder Blake Bortles. In fact, one reason Doug Marrone was able to win the promotion from interim coach was because he was pragmatic in his thought the process, and willing to try and get Bortles right. His plan to do it was interesting: Take the ball out of the quarterback’s hands. So that offseason, the Jags went about building a ball-control offense. And in the draft, there was a perfect back to play that style, in LSU’s Leonard Fournette. Jacksonville took him, with the decision made to run it back for another year with Bortles, eliminating the chance the team would take Deshaun Watson or Patrick Mahomes. Again, in summary, the organization made the call to stick with Bortles, then did all it could to minimize his impact on games by taking a back that would fit the kind of offense that he would necessitate (rather than more-versatile Stanford star Christian McCaffrey). For a year, to Marrone’s credit, it worked. The Jags made the AFC title game. But the long-term fallout has been undeniable. Bortles wound up lasting two more years, and his failure necessitated overspending on Nick Foles, who lasted just one year. Meanwhile, while Fournette’s fit worked in the short-term, the price paid there was missing out on McCaffrey. Three years later, both Bortles and Fournette are without jobs, and Mahomes, Watson and McCaffrey are stars. And it can all trace back to the team sticking with Bortles for a season too long.

As for Fournette’s future, he hits the wire Monday carrying a $4.17 million number for 2020, which is why he could go unclaimed—that’s a pretty decent chunk of money to be spending on a back less than two weeks before the opener. If he does clear, the idea of Pittsburgh makes sense to me, maybe because I remember what the similarly-old-school Jerome Bettis was before he went there, and how becoming a Steeler resurrected his career. And, for what it’s worth, Fournette’s got old offensive coordinators of his in Green Bay and Chicago. It’ll be interesting to see what’s next for him.

Last edited by a moderator:
  On 6/5/2020 at 6:49 PM, Milkman said:

I'm buying all day at his current price and if I own him I'm holding. Especially if you're a contender. He could easily lead the league in rushing and his measily 3 TDs can only go up. If he scored like 3-4 more times last year he would have been RB6 or something. People's perception of his value is way off. 

Probably too late
Been on your side (Johnny) since day one. He always came across as lazy, had an attitude, and didn’t seem to have the mentality needed to be great. Talent only takes you so far.

I'm gonna either look like a genius, or probably more likely, a complete idiot come tomorrow depending on where Fournette signs. Just traded him and Guice for Gibson, Ravens team kickers, and $15 BBID (we have $100 allowance for the year) in a 12 team PPR dynasty league.

I really go back and forth on Fournette. I could see him thriving somewhere else and I could Trent Richardson after Cleveland....guess the later scared me into selling tonight...was it too low though?? 

I'm gonna either look like a genius, or probably more likely, a complete idiot come tomorrow depending on where Fournette signs. Just traded him and Guice for Gibson, Ravens team kickers, and $15 BBID (we have $100 allowance for the year) in a 12 team PPR dynasty league.

I really go back and forth on Fournette. I could see him thriving somewhere else and I could Trent Richardson after Cleveland....guess the later scared me into selling tonight...was it too low though?? 
Too low IMHO. He may sit on the couch eating Cheetos this season, but it was worth more than that to wait-and-see.

Too low IMHO. He may sit on the couch eating Cheetos this season, but it was worth more than that to wait-and-see.
But can't it be said there IS a chance Gibson because a PPR stud? There sure is a lot of positive press for him right now, AP is like 67 years old, and the buzz on Love died very quickly (now running with 2 and 3rd team offense) Maybe I'm just trying to rationalize a stupid trade on my part. 

When does LF officially clear waivers?  Sometime later this morning, right?
IIRC, teams get 24 hours from the official league. notification (ie yesterday’s transaction report) to put in a waiver claim. So until close of business today (which I believe is 4:00 Eastern). Lowest waiver claim gets him and his contract. If not, he hits the streets as an UFA. However, the Jags have been fighting about his bonus and guaranteed money, so there is a lot of uncertainty if the team that signs him as a FA has to pay him or if the Jags will have to pay the difference up to $4.2 million (ie, whether there is offset language still in effect).

Been on your side (Johnny) since day one. He always came across as lazy, had an attitude, and didn’t seem to have the mentality needed to be great. Talent only takes you so far.
I think everyone is being too harsh on the guy.  I mean... "we built our team to control the ball and win on defense" - until we completely blew up our defense for nothing and had a QB controversey between a 6th round pick and a journeyman QB we paid too much money for.  You'd want to work for that employer?  They've done nothing to help out Fournette and asked him to buy them time while they went through 2 rebuilds in 4 years?  

I'm sorry, but I am quitting on that team too. 

I think everyone is being too harsh on the guy.  I mean... "we built our team to control the ball and win on defense" - until we completely blew up our defense for nothing and had a QB controversey between a 6th round pick and a journeyman QB we paid too much money for.  You'd want to work for that employer?  They've done nothing to help out Fournette and asked him to buy them time while they went through 2 rebuilds in 4 years?  

I'm sorry, but I am quitting on that team too. 
That's like the kid who always blames others when things don't go the way they want.  I don't think Fournette's heart is really in it.  Otherwise he would have worked on his craft and body more..  Just my opinion.  He has only been fantasy relevant due to volume of touches.  The metrics lay that out.   That is not even mentioning how he can be a distraction with his mouth.

That's like the kid who always blames others when things don't go the way they want.  I don't think Fournette's heart is really in it.  Otherwise he would have worked on his craft and body more..  Just my opinion.  He has only been fantasy relevant due to volume of touches.  The metrics lay that out.   That is not even mentioning how he can be a distraction with his mouth.
He was in great shape last year, and he stayed healthy. He worked on his craft, and became a better pass catcher. He ran behind a terrible line. I don't recall him being a distraction last year. Maybe he had a conflict with their new OC. Jay Gruden seems to have issues with players. 

Time will tell. Fournette has hardly been the gold standard as a player on or off the field. Jax as hardly been the gold standard for running an NFL franchise. I feel like when the dust settles we'll find out he peed in someone's gas tank or something. If not this thing is just a bit weird.

I think you are so far in the forest you can't see the trees with Fournette.  You have explicitly stated your case for the hatred of Fournette.  I agree.  He has underperformed, but one could argue if he was performing in 2019 with a relevant team that can score the ball he would have been a top 5 fantasy back.  To trade the guy for peanuts is a huge panic move and something I will advise against, as much as you are advising he is a VOLUME BACK with ZERO TALENT and NO DESIRE.

If he ends up taking carries inside the 10 for any of the team on the needs list, he will at least be as good as he was in Jacksonville.  Since when did we worry about someone leaving the wasteland that is the Jacksonville Jaguars Football Team?  This should elevate his stock.  A buddy of mine drafted last night and he was taken in the 7th round of a 12 teamer because of that mindset.  

I think you are so far in the forest you can't see the trees with Fournette.  You have explicitly stated your case for the hatred of Fournette.  I agree.  He has underperformed, but one could argue if he was performing in 2019 with a relevant team that can score the ball he would have been a top 5 fantasy back.  To trade the guy for peanuts is a huge panic move and something I will advise against, as much as you are advising he is a VOLUME BACK with ZERO TALENT and NO DESIRE.

If he ends up taking carries inside the 10 for any of the team on the needs list, he will at least be as good as he was in Jacksonville.  Since when did we worry about someone leaving the wasteland that is the Jacksonville Jaguars Football Team?  This should elevate his stock.  A buddy of mine drafted last night and he was taken in the 7th round of a 12 teamer because of that mindset.  
Since when did I say trade him for peanuts?  I tried a long time ago to tell everyone to trade him when he had more value (see earlier posts in this thread).  Back then you could easily get a future 1st round rookie picks.  Now not so much.

I’m calling it a tanking for Trevor.  Trade your best DL guy, cut your productive starting rb,  more to come.  

For Fournette and his new Team to realize their full potential, he's going to have to land on a Team with a winning culture and strong locker room. Whenever I say that, the 1st image that comes to mind is the Ray Lewis-era Ravens. Didn't matter who you were, when you walked into that place for your first time as a new acquisition, you were made very aware of who's team it was, and how things were being done, and no latitude for anyone who wasn't willing to swim with the current.

I would have said Pats when Belichick/Brady were a lock-step unified front. I'm not sure there's a winning team with a respect/fear culture strong enough to provide Fournette with the structure and discipline that he likely craves, and could thrive under, whether he realizes this, consciously or subconsciously.

Users who are viewing this thread