Jump to content
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

RB Leonard Fournette, TB


Recommended Posts

16 minutes ago, Team Smokin' said:

What do the Sharks think about L Fournette for the ROS as a RB?

From injured bench fodder to league winner and somewhere in between.

I'd try and move him straight up for DAVID MONTGOMERY , if its possible, maybe even add in a piece to help get it done.

Although I'm not a massive fan of Montgomery, check out his end of season weeks 13-14-15-16 schedule.

 

Fournette may be a better overall player, but his "situation"/knuckleheaded-ness  and usage gives me pause, and he still has a RoJo lurking.

I avoided Fournette for a few reasons this year, especially after all that offseason chatter about the Jags trying to dump him.

I'd personally move him for anybody breathing that is consistent, or has some potential upside.

 

 TZM

  • Like 1
  • Laughing 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, cloppbeast said:

Well Monty does breathe and is consistently bad, so there you go.

Give me Montgomery over Fournette every day of the week.

 Like I pointed out, I am not a big fan of Montgomery, but I was throwing around someone who OP might possibly could acquire for Fournette, and its around that caliber of RB.

 In fact, Fournette being so hit and miss + injured, you may have a hard time getting much of anything.

Again, I am certainly not a big Montgomery guy, but his end-of-fantasy-season schedule is likely amongst the best.   I'd like having him on my bench down the stretch in case of other injuries and potential need at that time.

 

 

 TZM

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Honestly, if I were Tampa, I wouldn't even be trying to get him in the lineup this week. He's not 100%, why not see what you have in Vaughn behind Jones for a week? If Vaughn fails, just ride Jones more, and then you've given Fournette an extra 10 days to get ready for a big game against Green Bay.

I speak as a Bears fan, I don't think Tampa has much to worry about this week, the Bears are very lucky to not be 0-4 right now. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, travdogg said:

Honestly, if I were Tampa, I wouldn't even be trying to get him in the lineup this week. He's not 100%, why not see what you have in Vaughn behind Jones for a week? If Vaughn fails, just ride Jones more, and then you've given Fournette an extra 10 days to get ready for a big game against Green Bay.

I speak as a Bears fan, I don't think Tampa has much to worry about this week, the Bears are very lucky to not be 0-4 right now. 

Vaughn looks like he'll be in the 3rd down role.  RoJo and Fournette will split with Jones likely taking the bulk for a while.  He looked good on Sunday running the ball.  Receiving, not so much.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Quote

Leonard Fournette (ankle) is doubtful for Week 5 against Chicago.

Fournette is a game-time decision, but he's not going to play. It means more snaps for Ronald Jones, who went over 100 yards on 26 touches last week. Avoiding an early rule out gives Fournette a chance at a Week 6 return.

Oct 7, 2020, 3:11 PM ET

PREVIOUSNEXT

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, Team Smokin' said:

What do the Sharks think about L Fournette for the ROS as a RB?

From injured bench fodder to league winner and somewhere in between.

I'd say closer to bench fodder than league winner.......if he got 30 carries a game he'd end up with around 100 yards and about a TD every other game.

Edited by Manster
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Manster said:

I'd say closer to bench fodder than league winner.......if he got 30 carries a game he'd end up with around 100 yards and about a TD every other game.

I gotta eat some crow on this one. I really thought Fournette would seize this job (and he still may). Good game for RoJo last week, but the drops seemed to irritate Brady. He'll have another shot on Thursday to slam the door on Fournette.

Edited by Dizzy
Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, Dizzy said:

I gotta eat some crow on this one. I really thought Fournette would seize this job (and he still may). Good game for RoJo last week, but the drops seemed to irritate Brady. He'll have another shot on Thursday to slam the door on Fournette.

I'm no scout, but after watching Fournette consistently run up the backs of his linemen in Jax it just seems like we've seen enough of what he is in the NFL to know that he's not all the sudden going to turn into Adrian Peterson....Fournette is a helluva athlete, but he seems to lack vision, and patience......he could overcome this at lower levels of ball because he is an elite athlete......maybe he figures it out at some point.....I mean anything is possible.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Quote

Leonard Fournette did not touch the ball in the Bucs' Week 5 loss to the Bears.

As far as we know, Fournette didn't play a snap in a game where he was only active on an emergency basis. A first half injury to Ke'Shawn Vaughn made it look like Fournette might have to check in, but Vaughn returned after the break. Fournette now has 10 days to heal up for next week's showdown with the Packers after missing Weeks 4 and 5. Ronald Jones has had a pair of 100-yard days on the ground in Fournette's absence, removing Fournette from Week 6 FLEX consideration.

- Rotoworld

He actually did play one snap (a kneeldown) :D

Edited by The Frankman
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Hot Sauce Guy said:

I’m confident he’ll come back and vex RoJo owners at some point. Probably next week.

Maybe it’ll come at Vaughn’s expense instead though. :shrug: 

Likely not since Fournette isn't really a passing game asset. Vaughn was replacing McCoy who was the third down back (albeit a very seldom used one).

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Dr. Octopus said:

Likely not since Fournette isn't really a passing game asset. 

He's not? He was the 4th most targeted RB last year (8 behind Ekeler, 4 behind Cohen).

FWIW, Jones is the 6th most targeted RB this year. 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Stompin' Tom Connors said:

He's not? He was the 4th most targeted RB last year (8 behind Ekeler, 4 behind Cohen).

FWIW, Jones is the 6th most targeted RB this year. 

 

Last season was an outlier it seems. He’s not really an accomplished pass catcher.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, Dr. Octopus said:

Last season was an outlier it seems. He’s not really an accomplished pass catcher.

 

Fournette had the second highest reception % on his team in 2017, with the third highest # of receptions.

He had the the highest reception % in 2018 (# of receptions took a dive as he was injured for a bunch of games).

And the second highest reception % and most receptions on the team in 2019.

A guy doesn't go out and catch one less pass than James White with hands of stones. 

C'mon, you're better than this.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

51 minutes ago, Stompin' Tom Connors said:

 

Fournette had the second highest reception % on his team in 2017, with the third highest # of receptions.

He had the the highest reception % in 2018 (# of receptions took a dive as he was injured for a bunch of games).

And the second highest reception % and most receptions on the team in 2019.

A guy doesn't go out and catch one less pass than James White with hands of stones. 

C'mon, you're better than this.

Maybe he will be the third down back then. He is better than Jones in that role despite Jones making a great catch last night that should have been a TD. I guess he just didn’t get the targets his other seasons. My bad. I didn’t remember him being useful in the passing game.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/9/2020 at 6:23 PM, Stompin' Tom Connors said:

Fournette had the second highest reception % on his team in 2017, with the third highest # of receptions.

He had the the highest reception % in 2018 (# of receptions took a dive as he was injured for a bunch of games).

And the second highest reception % and most receptions on the team in 2019.

A guy doesn't go out and catch one less pass than James White with hands of stones. 

Doesn't that speak more to the Jaguars lack of WR/TE talent than anything else? Pretty much all of Fournette's catches were just dumpoffs to the flat or screens, he wasn't running routes, or breaking any big plays after the catch. Both his catch% and YPC got worse the more he as used in the receiving game. 

This is not a case that Jones is a better pass catcher, he's got far worse hands, though is much better after the catch. I actually think when everyone is healthy, the pass catching RB is McCoy. 

Edited by travdogg
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, travdogg said:

Doesn't that speak more to the Jaguars lack of WR/TE talent than anything else? Pretty much all of Fournette's catches were just dumpoffs to the flat or screens, he wasn't running routes, or breaking any big plays after the catch. Both his catch% and YPC got worse the more he as used in the receiving game. 

This is not a case that Jones is a better pass catcher, he's got far worse hands, though is much better after the catch. I actually think when everyone is healthy, the pass catching RB is McCoy. 

Isn't bolded more or less true of the majority of any RB's catches?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, elmanx said:

Isn't bolded more or less true of the majority of any RB's catches?

Typically, higher pass volume RBs are so because they don't just do that. They run downfield routes as well, and often even line up as WR's. That isn't Fournette. 

ETA: Look at guys like CMC, Kamara, Ekeler, White, even Bell. Those guys are all(while maybe not Bell with Gase) very good receivers downfield(10+ yards) so they earn that heavy pass volume. Fournette kind of lucked into it in 2019, likely because of lots of garbage time, and a lack of many other weapons. He's not versatile enough to warrant those targets consistently, and the Jags realized that, which is likely why even before they cut Fournette, they acquired Chris Thompson.

Edited by travdogg
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


 

Quote

Leonard Fournette (ankle) was limited in practice on Wednesday.

Fournette was surprisingly active for Thursday Night Football last week after being listed as doubtful. In actuality, Fournette did not receive a single touch against the Bears and was only going to play in emergency situations. In Fournette's absence over the last two games, Ronald Jones has recorded 26 touches and 20 touches.

Oct 14, 2020, 7:49 PM ET

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites


 

Quote

Leonard Fournette (ankle) remained "limited" on Thursday. 

We would like to see Fournette get in a "full" session before declaring him back for Week 6, but the fact that he was available on an emergency basis last Thursday night bodes well for his chances of suiting up vs. the Packers. Ronald Jones led the league in rushing during Fournette's two-game absence, so even though the Bucs' backfield has been ever-changing, Fournette will not be a high-upside FLEX against the Pack.  

Oct 15, 2020, 7:16 PM ET

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Quote

Leonard Fournette (ankle) is questionable for Week 6 against the Packers.

Coach Bruce Arians said Fournette is officially a game-time decision. Ronald Jones has commanded 46-of-55 backfield touches in place of LeSean McCoy (ankle) and Fournette the past two games but that would clearly come to a halt if both are active and available for Sunday. Fantasy players should still keep Fournette benched for Week 6 to get a better idea of how much he'll be used post-injury.

SOURCE: Adam Caplan on Twitter

Oct 16, 2020, 3:33 PM ET

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites


 

Quote

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports Leonard Fournette (ankle) is expected to be "active but limited" for Week 6 against the Packers.

Schefter hears that "it is not expected to be a regular workload for Fournette" while he still works his way back from a high-ankle sprain. Fournette shouldn't be counted on in fantasy circles, especially with Ronald Jones running well between the tackles. Jones is on the RB2/3 border now that Fournette and LeSean McCoy are available in some capacity this week.

RELATED: 

Ronald Jones

SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Oct 17, 2020, 11:53 PM ET

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites


 

Quote

Bucs RB Leonard Fournette (ankle) is practicing in full this week. 

He's logged two full practices after being inactive last week against Green Bay. Fournette for now is nothing more than a bench stash in 12 and 14-team leagues. Ronald Jones has dominated snaps and backfield touches of late. Fantasy managers should watch out for more cryptic social media posts from Fournette in the coming weeks. 

RELATED: 

Ronald Jones

SOURCE: James Palmer on Twitter 

Oct 22, 2020, 4:01 PM ET

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites


 

Quote

Leonard Fournette (ankle) is active for Week 7 against the Raiders.

It's basically the first time Fournette has been truly available for Tampa Bay in the last three games. Even so, he's not expected to threaten Jones as a factor on minimal touches. Fantasy players are better off keeping Fournette benched for Week 7.

Oct 25, 2020, 2:36 PM ET

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, Milkman said:

Clearly outperformed Rojo this game but is anybody happily starting him next week? Not sure he can be trusted. 

I don’t agree with this at all. Jones looked much more decisive and powerful. RJ dropped a screen and kind of got benched. Fournette had one nice run with a gaping hole created by GRONK/Wirfs. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Grahamburn said:
2 hours ago, Milkman said:

Clearly outperformed Rojo this game but is anybody happily starting him next week? Not sure he can be trusted. 

I don’t agree with this at all. Jones looked much more decisive and powerful. RJ dropped a screen and kind of got benched. Fournette had one nice run with a gaping hole created by GRONK/Wirfs. 

He’s light years better as a pass catcher, that’s clear. Rojo’s been running hard and looking solid.  I’d just be happy with clearly defined roles. Shady’s done and shouldn’t touch a field.  Rojo on 1st & 2nd downs with Fournette as the 3rd down and passing downs back would at least provide some clarity.  

I'll likely have to be starting him going forward as I drafted him to be my 2 ( the day before he got cut) and my other options haven’t panned out.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Grahamburn said:

I don’t agree with this at all. Jones looked much more decisive and powerful. RJ dropped a screen and kind of got benched. Fournette had one nice run with a gaping hole created by GRONK/Wirfs. 

Totally agree, and we're bound to see tons of continued knee-jerk takes on this without a lot of rationale behind them. Fact is both backs struggled on the ground today, Raiders run D somehow played solid, and Fournette got half his ground yards on that single run (tremendous block by Gronk on that play and Wirfs is earning his draft pick slot).

3 hours ago, dkp993 said:

He’s light years better as a pass catcher, that’s clear. Rojo’s been running hard and looking solid.  I’d just be happy with clearly defined roles. Shady’s done and shouldn’t touch a field.  Rojo on 1st & 2nd downs with Fournette as the 3rd down and passing downs back would at least provide some clarity.  

I'll likely have to be starting him going forward as I drafted him to be my 2 ( the day before he got cut) and my other options haven’t panned out.  

I think we may have had a glimpse of what that will be.

Let's face it, Jones is not a pass catcher. He's struggled all year and the drop he had in this game was bad -- that is the kind of catch you simply have to make. I don't think that's going to change at this point, nor do I think Arians -- or Brady for that matter -- gives him extra rope. Forgetting that Fournette bobbled one badly too and was lucky to get a handle back on it, he's more consistent in this area (and wasn't as bad of a pass catcher in JAX as many make him out to be). 

I think what we'll see is Jones still taking the lion's share/early downs, with Fournette settling into passing downs and as a CoP. 

Where the game script dictates pass, we'll see more of Fournette. Where it dictates run, we'll see more of RoJo. Fournette is the bigger back (slightly taller, much heavier), but it's strangely RoJo that has looked better in short yardage (and showed that again in this game).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Quote

Leonard Fournette rushed 11 times for 50 yards, tacking on six catches for another 47 yards in Tampa Bay's Week 7 win over the Raiders.

For those thinking Fournette was only used because the game got out of hand, think again: 10 of his backfield-high 17 touches came in the first half to help build Tampa Bay's 21-10 lead at the intermission. It was basically Fournette's first appearance since he initially rolled his ankle back in Week 3, and he admittedly looked spry and explosive in opening the game with a 25-yard dash and picking up a crucial 3rd-and-13 through the air to help close this one with a 21-0 run. Ronald Jones (13/34/1) fell into the end zone in the fourth quarter, but Fournette had numerous chances inside the 10-yard line throughout play. His stock is rising as a [upside flex option] in Tampa Bay's Week 8 matchup against the Giants.

 

Bucs RB Leonard Fournette led the backfield with 40 snaps in Week 7 against the Raiders. 

Ronald Jones saw 31 snaps against Vegas. Fully recovered from his ankle injury, Fournette took over pass catching duties from Jones, who has been awful in that role. A healthy Fournette lowers Jones' weekly floor, which seemed sturdy just a week ago.

- Rotoworld

 

Edited by The Frankman
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Twenty-Four Eighty-Four said:

I could really use a RB3. Might try to trade Herbert in a 1 QB league and stick with Lamar Jackson at QB. I sold a share or two of RoJo because I feared Fournette coming back and cutting into his workload. I think it'll be a pretty even split but as an RB3 might be a good get.

you might be better off trading lamar.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, -jb- said:

It looked like they were alternating drives. Is that accurate?  Only watched on RZ do it was fragmented. 

Watched the entire game and didn't notice alternating drives. Might have turned out that way.

RoJo was the only back used through the first two series, then was definitely yoinked after his drop in the third series (which was in the 2nd Q), and Fournette was in for the rest of the half.

In the second half RoJo started and was mostly used in the first two series of the second half. They were both used within the same series from that point on.

At end of game, RoJo was given the red zone carry off the interception. Fournette took the last series.

Overall, not so much a split of series, but I did notice Fournette was used more in the second half when the team was looking to move the ball downfield in passing situations. RoJo was in for early and mostly run plays.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Stompin' Tom Connors said:

Watched the entire game and didn't notice alternating drives. Might have turned out that way.

RoJo was the only back used through the first two series, then was definitely yoinked after his drop in the third series (which was in the 2nd Q), and Fournette was in for the rest of the half.

In the second half RoJo started and was mostly used in the first two series of the second half. They were both used within the same series from that point on.

At end of game, RoJo was given the red zone carry off the interception. Fournette took the last series.

Overall, not so much a split of series, but I did notice Fournette was used more in the second half when the team was looking to move the ball downfield in passing situations. RoJo was in for early and mostly run plays.

Thx. I went back and looked at play by play.  I think you’re right on the usage pattern. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Stompin' Tom Connors said:

Watched the entire game and didn't notice alternating drives. Might have turned out that way.

RoJo was the only back used through the first two series, then was definitely yoinked after his drop in the third series (which was in the 2nd Q), and Fournette was in for the rest of the half.

In the second half RoJo started and was mostly used in the first two series of the second half. They were both used within the same series from that point on.

At end of game, RoJo was given the red zone carry off the interception. Fournette took the last series.

Overall, not so much a split of series, but I did notice Fournette was used more in the second half when the team was looking to move the ball downfield in passing situations. RoJo was in for early and mostly run plays.

Having Brady's passing down back is never a bad thing.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Faust changed the title to RB Leonard Fournette, TB

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
  • Create New...