What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Have you ever used Uber/Lyft (1 Viewer)

Have you ever used Uber/Lyft

• Yes

Votes: 157 58.8%
  • No

Votes: 110 41.2%

• Total voters
Yes, I've used uber 25+ times over the past several months.

Wife is currently driving for them now with probably 40-50 trips under her belt.

Love it.

Last edited by a moderator:
There is currently a trial in Hillsborough County FL to determine if they can continue to operate. I know someone involved in the trial and I'm getting the feeling it's not sounding good. They already put a halt to operation in Broward County.

FL is composed of a bunch of local transportation boards that are given power by the commissioners. The commisioners are in the pockets of the taxi duopolies that don't want the status quo disrupted.

This is a sad state of affairs considering the poor public transportation options & lack of taxis in FL.

Is Uber/Lyft generally cheaper or more expensive than Taxi?
Generally speaking, yes. There are times, at least with uber, where they have "surge pricing" which could rival taxi fares.

That said, the convenience of the app plus the short time it takes the car to arrive trumps anything a taxi service offers.

Generally speaking, yes. There are times, at least with uber, where they have "surge pricing" which could rival taxi fares.

That said, the convenience of the app plus the short time it takes the car to arrive trumps anything a taxi service offers.
You are also advised that surge pricing is on and you can get a quote for the trip before confirming you want the car. I love Uber, use it all the time in the DC area.

Wife is currently driving for them now with probably 40-50 trips under her belt.

Love it.
how does that work? how does she get paid? she make good $$$? I am knocking around the idea of working PT for Uber.

My wife and kids are in Chicago and they are using it to get everywhere. The quick app, getting a text with the driver name and other info is great. Not having to exchange money on site is a great convenience as well.

As for price, they took an Uber to the museum and it cost $6.00. She took a taxi home and it cost $10.00.

Lastly, the taxi was gross and all of the Ubers she has used have been very nice.

Used it once so far, to get to Tipsey's place in NO last month. What we liked was the ability to choose the size of the vehicle that you got. We were 5, with 3 kids, so I asked for a SUV. We got a nice big Yukon so the boys could sit in the back and not bother anyone. It may have been more expensive than 1 cab ride, but we may have needed to get 2 if we had a regular cab.

Nice guy, nice vehicle. Actually had him twice for both sides of our round trip.

I also screwed up the app and my first ride, so I was double charged for the first mile. I was able to easily get that reversed by Uber.

Worth skipping out on renting a car for? We are going to LA for a week and I don't want to generally piss around with traffic and figuring out how to get places and park. Was thinking I would need it 3-4x a day for various lengths.

Friend of mine lives in Arlington (near DC), he's a partner in a big law firm, and he uses Uber for commuting. He can get a ride and work on the way to the office. He has a 1/2 hour ride in traffic and he can easily bill more than the cost of the Uber. It's also nice for the ride home when you're working real late!

I used it one time, the car was actually a Honda.
Was it at least a nicer one with leather seats, etc.?

Uber inspects the vehicle comprehensively before allowing it, and I think it has to be a 2006 or newer.

:shrug: When it first launched I think they were all "black cars", but as the service grew in popularity they had to expand their reach so to speak.

I've never been in a crappy car.

My wife drives a '14 Escape Titanium.

Love it.
how does that work? how does she get paid? she make good $$$? I am knocking around the idea of working PT for Uber.
You set up a vehicle inspection using their app, I think. It costs like $40 (again, I think). They run a background check. You're supposed to do a "ride along" with an "Uber pro" but my wife didn't have to for some reason.

Payment is weekly, direct deposit to your bank account.

You can make excellent money. She's just been doing it a couple weeks now.... couple hundred bucks for going out 4-5 times I think.

My wife and kids are in Chicago and they are using it to get everywhere. The quick app, getting a text with the driver name and other info is great. Not having to exchange money on site is a great convenience as well.

As for price, they took an Uber to the museum and it cost $6.00. She took a taxi home and it cost $10.00.

Lastly, the taxi was gross and all of the Ubers she has used have been very nice.
Yeah, I've heard that taxis are typically 50% higher... ish.

And yes, taxis are gross.... Ubers, not so much.... even if it is a Honda. :)

Worth skipping out on renting a car for? We are going to LA for a week and I don't want to generally piss around with traffic and figuring out how to get places and park. Was thinking I would need it 3-4x a day for various lengths.
Obviously research it more but I know that in LA Uber has a very cheap carpool option. It's something like $10 no matter the distance. Not sure if there's a per person fee or not.

Love it... would consider driving for kicks during down time if Uber Plus was available here in Memphis (nicer cars = 3-4x the rate). However with Memphis Uber being among the cheapest in the nation at something like .75c per mile for Uber X, its' not worth driving.

Yes.

Uber is great.

Taxi from my house to airport is $65 and an awful experience.

UberX is $35 and always great.

My favorite feature is they don't expect you to tip them. When everyone from your hotel maid to someone that pours from a coffee pot expects a tip these days it's refreshing.

I hate typical taxi bull#### I get 25% of the time with their cc machine "not working". Uber is awesome for me for work travel with getting receipts for reimbursement, etc.

Uber can be way cheaper.

Taxi from the Phoenix airport to our timeshare in Scottsdale: $75

Uber from the resort back to the Phoenix airport: $34

I had the thought pop in my head when my car dies if it would be more economical to use uber 2X day 5 days a week.

Probably not but I will have to crunch the numbers to see where it stands.

When you do Uber and are alone do you get in the back seat or the front? Do you talk to the driver or sit and veg out?
I sit in the back.

I'm usually going out drinkin' when I use Uber, so am already in a good mood after having typically started well before getting picked up... so I'm in a gregarious mood and chat 'em up. 99% of them have been receptive.

When you do Uber and are alone do you get in the back seat or the front? Do you talk to the driver or sit and veg out?
I sit in the back.

I'm usually going out drinkin' when I use Uber, so am already in a good mood after having typically started well before getting picked up... so I'm in a gregarious mood and chat 'em up. 99% of them have been receptive.
Do you tell them to switch lanes and make snide remarks about how slow they are going?

I sit in the back.

Do you tell them to switch lanes and make snide remarks about how slow they are going?
:oldunsure:

Sure don't. I've made recommendations as to faster routes, to which they've accommodated, but certainly don't "back seat drive".

The drivers rate the passengers just like you can rate them. Best to not backseat drive.
That's correct. I know my wife, as a driver, can look up her rating... not sure passengers can do the same. Maybe I'll have her pick me up so she can see my rating.... and get a little somethin-somethin in the back seat. :wub:

I always sit in front, unless I am with another person. That is the recommended practice. And I always chat with the drivers. I've had some hilarious and entertaining chats with Lyft drivers.

Only used it once and didn't pay for it (FFA cornholing is awesome). I was floored at how fast the dude showed up. When my gb gruecd told me that Uber would be at his house at 5:08am, I figured I had some buffer time. But damn it if he wasn't there right on friggin time.

Guy was super nice, but didn't really know his way around the airport. Which was a little unnerving, but I got there fine after helping him follow the damn signs.

I always sit in front, unless I am with another person. That is the recommended practice. And I always chat with the drivers. I've had some hilarious and entertaining chats with Lyft drivers.
WHere does it say that? I almost always sit in the back and have been told that's what the drivers (that I've asked) usually prefer. If I was driving, that's what I'd prefer.

The drivers rate the passengers just like you can rate them. Best to not backseat drive.
That's correct. I know my wife, as a driver, can look up her rating... not sure passengers can do the same. Maybe I'll have her pick me up so she can see my rating.... and get a little somethin-somethin in the back seat. :wub:
Yes, you can see it. I have a 4.9.
Ah, I figured it'd be on your profile. Found it in the "help" section -- guess they'll email it from customer support.

Also a 4.9. Hmph. Now I'm gonna be racking my brain to see who didn't rate me a 5. :angry: Probably when I was with one of my drunk-asz friends. :excited:

What's the different between uberX and uberBlack?
Uber X = cheap basic (but nice) cars

Uber Select = Nice luxury sedans (between X and Black)

Uber Black = Black "limo" style luxury sedans (driver usually in suit)

Uber XL = Large SUV/Van to accomodate 6+ passengers

WHere does it say that? I almost always sit in the back and have been told that's what the drivers (that I've asked) usually prefer. If I was driving, that's what I'd prefer.
I think both Lyft and Uber want you to sit wherever you feel most comfortable, but Lyft wanted to market themselves as a more friendly, community-driven alternative to Uber, so they have generally encouraged people to sit in the front seat instead of the back. In this interview with Lyft founder John Zimmer, he says that 80% of single Lyft passengers sit in the front seat. This CNN article about Lyft also indicates that "passengers are encouraged to sit in the front seat so they can make small talk."

I think that where you choose to sit in a Lyft/Uber just comes down to what you want out of the ride. If you would rather be left alone and sit quietly during your ride, sit in the back. If you want to chat with the driver during the ride, sit in the front. I just think the ride is generally more interesting when sitting up front.

Huh didn't know that. I just want to be left alone for the most part and are usually on the phone working or setting up the evening. I'll make small talk at times but usually are just looking for the guy/girl to take me where I'm going.

I have used Uber a handful of times. You can catch a ride in about 5 minutes anywhere. Try getting that service with a cab. I'll never use a taxi again if I can help it. Cars are very nice (some luxury) and clean. No hassle with payment or tip afterward.

I primarily walk or take the subway so I haven't tried Uber yet, but I hate NYC taxis so I am considering signing up for it.

Users who are viewing this thread