What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Short track dirt racing - World of Outlaws (1 Viewer)

Hooper31

Footballguy
Dirt or asphalt. Sprints or super late models. Anyone else regularly hit the races?

I grew up in PA where you're always a stones throw away from a dirt track. Used to regularly go to Marion Center, Dog Hollow, Lernerville, and Bedford. Made it down to Hagerstown once.

Now live in WA. Go to Skagit and Deming where sprint cars on dirt are king. Looking forward to the Labor Day weekend event when the World of Oultaws come through. Get to see Donny Schatz just kick everyone's tail again. He's so far out in front of the field right now its a bit silly.

Hit Evergreen Speedway last night in Monroe at the WA state fairgrounds. Very cool experience. Three tracks in one. They have a figure eight, 3/8, and a 5/8 asphalt track that are nested inside each other and all share the same front stretch. This weekend is their King of the Wing series event. Both 360s and 410s on the 3/8 track. Surprised to see 35 cars at the event. I think they are touring mostly as a group around the western U.S.

Last edited by a moderator:
I used to go to the enduro races at Hagerstown all the time. About 40 $300 cars racing around a 1/2 mile track. Wheels and body parts flying off and they would just keep racing around the wrecks. It was awesome!

Flying V said:
I used to go to the enduro races at Hagerstown all the time. About 40 $300 cars racing around a 1/2 mile track. Wheels and body parts flying off and they would just keep racing around the wrecks. It was awesome!
Sounds nuts. Last time you got out there?

Flying V said:
Sounds nuts. Last time you got out there?
It's been a few years. The enduros are much safer and less exciting these days.

I remember the first time I went and wondered why so few people were sitting at the end of the turn. I was soon reminded why they are called dirt tracks. That was some gritty beer.

DirtTrack Nationals underway at Volusia in Florida to start the season. World of Outlaws sprint car racing is so much more interesting to me. Not sure what the draw is to Nascar. 

Planning a trip to Eldora in western Ohio this summer. Kings Royal in July for three days and Don Martin at Lernerville the following week. 

I grew up with a family that raced modifieds on the west coast. Been to a ton of tracks and still go about 5-6 times a year. My cousins still race (one is stepping up to late models this year) and my brother is building a sport mod. 

Pretty jealous that you've been to Lernerville, used to love that track on the WoO ps2 game!

I love road racing (quite a bit different than dirt or short track) in my fully built e46 m3.  Finally got the car dialed in this weekend at Phoenix firebird race track.  Nothing like keeping up with 200,000 Porsche 911 turbo s in my 25,000 m3.  Anyone else here like any type of racing?

E Street Brat said:
When I was kid. 10/11,years old we ran the western Pa circuit every week 

North Hills Speedway

Lernerville

Motordrom
If we're close to the same age we might have watched a lot of the same drivers. I'm 48. Bob Wearing Sr.? Blackie Watt? Ben Buzzard? Red Neil in the L88 was my favorite driver in the late models. Loved the late 70s late models look with all the Camaros, Firebirds, and Corvettes. 

Donny Schatz wins four of five nights at the DirtCarNationals in Volusia this weekend. Guy dominates the 410 sprints right now. He and Kinser in a class by themselves.

sbonomo said:
I love road racing (quite a bit different than dirt or short track) in my fully built e46 m3.  Finally got the car dialed in this weekend at Phoenix firebird race track.  Nothing like keeping up with 200,000 Porsche 911 turbo s in my 25,000 m3.  Anyone else here like any type of racing?
I race a Lemon.  1992 e30

I know a guy with a Porsche cup car that does track days. He enjoys racing against miatas...  :crazy:      Driver makes much more of an impact than the car at this level.

ETA-Love sprint cars!

Love sprint cars!
Young Sheldon Haudenschild (son of Jac) just got his first World of Outlaws win this past week. Hoping we get some other new young blood into the 410 sprints to keep it alive. Was hoping David Gravel would contend this year, but it looks like another year of Donny Schatz domination with wins in four of the first five features. 

Planning a trip to Eldora in western Ohio this summer. Kings Royal in July for three days and Don Martin at Lernerville the following week. 
I've been to a lot of races at a lot of tracks but up until last fall I had never been to Eldora. I got the chance to go to the 4-Crown Nationals (Midgets, Sprints Cars, Winged Sprint Cars and Champ Dirt Cars). It was a fantastic event and Eldora is great facility.

I've been to a lot of races at a lot of tracks but up until last fall I had never been to Eldora. I got the chance to go to the 4-Crown Nationals (Midgets, Sprints Cars, Winged Sprint Cars and Champ Dirt Cars). It was a fantastic event and Eldora is great facility.
It was either that or Knoxville. Have family in western PA so hitting Eldora and Lernerville seemed the natural choice. Maybe Knoxville another year. 

Cool seeing all the guys with winged spring history doing well at Daytona. Go Blaney go. Would be nice to see Larson, Marks, or Kahne move up too. They all own World of Outlaws teams. 

Almirola and Stenhouse sprint cars guy too.  :thumbup:

Crap, Stenhouse just went to pits with lots of steam from underneath. 

Finally bought the DirtVision package. $39 for a month for every World Of Outlaws race.

https://www.dirtvision.com/home.php

Will get three nights of racing this weekend. Audio and video quality is better than expected. They're in West Memphis, AR tonight. Tiny little 1/4 mile track. Lots of action. Really favors experienced drivers in tighter conditions. 

So far this season young Sheldon Haudenschild is the story. Second year in the series and he already has three feature wins. 

This has been an ugly day. Jason Johnson's death last night has weighed heavy on me all day. Would have loved to have met him. I'm a big Daryn Pittman fan. He has to be dying inside today. 5th feature win of the season and it turns into a "who cares" moment. Pittman had just been passed by Johnson for the lead a lap earlier before a caution. As Pittman was working is way by Johnson after the restart they got together side by side just before turn 3. Johnson's car went for a wild tumble and over the concrete barrier before smashing through billboards. He died late last night in the hospital. Worst crash I've seen in quite some time. 

Bizarre fact of the day. Back in 1999 Kevin Gobrecht dies in a World of Outlaws sprint car. He fiance Bobbi moves on a marries Jason Johnson. Last night Jason Johnson becomes the second WOO driver to die in sprint car crash. 

Users who are viewing this thread