What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Stefon Diggs, HOU (2 Viewers)

Right. a reset has to be a good thing. As I edited above, Cousins is who he is. Allen's story is still to be written, but his floor is the same as Cousins. I'll take the upside. 
Ooh, I don't know if his floor was Cousins. I think Cousins was a lot better than people gave him credit for and Diggs's efficiency comes from deep balls, which Cousins was accurate on. Allen, we don't know about intermediate routes and the deep book hasn't been written yet w/r/t accuracy.  We know he can bomb, slant, and run, but we don't really have advanced numbers unless subscriptions are in order.   

Last edited by a moderator:
Could be a lateral move for him but hard sell if anyone calls it an upgrade imo. He had 100 catches the year before. He’s not gonna sniff that in Buffalo imo. His last season numbers are possible though. 

Good point. I guess, for me, I'm not willing to take the knee jerk reaction of it being a downgrade. I have made that mistake before in the past. Situations evolve and we could look back on this as the last chance to buy Diggs. Pr it could be the beginning of the meh chapter of his career 
I think that's a fair position to not take the knee jerk one of downgrade. A couple mad bombs at the beginning of the season could change everybody's perception. I think, honestly, the devil is in the details. How effective will Allen be on outside the numbers outs.? Will his mobility click with DIggs and make them a super pairing like a poor man's version of Big Ben and AB? It's staring anew for sure, and uncertainty reigns. I'm personally not sure what I'd prefer. 

I would rather have Diggs than Cousins.

But they made the best of the situation I guess. Rick got functionally close to a 1st and a 3rd for Diggs.

The more I think about it, the more I think this trade was pretty balanced. Vikings got a later first round pick this year in a pretty nice draft, 3 Day 3 picks this year plus a Day 3 pick next year for a disgruntled player. 

Bills got an elite WR on a rather friendly deal with 4 years left and a Day 3 pick this year for a 1st round pick they likely would have used trying to draft a guy who they would hope COULD become Diggs, a 4th next year and 5th and 6th round draft picks that they got by trading away Wyatt Teller and Russell Bodine.

Seems like a deal where both teams and fans can walk away happy right now.

The more I think about it, the more I think this trade was pretty balanced. Vikings got a later first round pick this year in a pretty nice draft, 3 Day 3 picks this year plus a Day 3 pick next year for a disgruntled player. 

Bills got an elite WR on a rather friendly deal with 4 years left and a Day 3 pick this year for a 1st round pick they likely would have used trying to draft a guy who they would hope COULD become Diggs, a 4th next year and 5th and 7th round draft picks that they got by trading away Wyatt Teller and Russell Bodine.

Seems like a deal where both teams and fans can walk away happy right now.
Diggs is only occasionally elite.

And it won't take long before he starts griping about being underpaid. Like tomorrow would be my guess.

Right. a reset has to be a good thing. As I edited above, Cousins is who he is. Allen's story is still to be written, but his floor is the same as Cousins. I'll take the upside. 
Would strongly disagree that Allen's passing floor is the same as Cousins. Allen is nowhere near the QB Cousins is, and those deep targets are just as likely to go to John Brown as they are Diggs. Diggs has a smaller portion of a smaller pie in Buffalo.

NFL wise, I think this is a mutually beneficial trade(slight edge to the Vikings) fantasy wise, I can't see any way this isn't a downgrade for Diggs.

Itll be fun to watch and see what happens, that's for sure. IMO Buffalo hasn't had a WR of Diggs' skill set for as long as I can remember. And I think that's half of the issue over the last several years
They had Sammy Watkins and Robert Woods. Frankly, I've been more impressed with Woods than Diggs in the years since he left Buffalo.

We might have different views of Diggs talent. I think he's probably around the 15th best WR in the NFL. 

Exactly my thoughts. 

He barely broke 1000 yds both times and never had a 10 TD season.  That doesn’t scream elite to me 
He is elite in some metrics like yards per route run. He usually misses a game or two with an injury or playing injured as a decoy. Thats part of why the yards aren't what you would like to see.

He gets open. He thinks he could be Antonio Brown if a team gave him the opportunity. I don't see Buffalo as getting him there but who knows.

The Vikings and ZImmer don't want to throw the ball that much. So that may be the main reason for the move. The Vikings threw the ball 600 times in 2018 with Cousins and Diggs seemed fined then.

you think Sammy Watkins and Woods are top 15?
I think Woods is. He wins on every level, versus both man and zone on a consistent basis. He's maybe not as exciting, but I do think he's a better overall WR than Diggs.

Watkins probably was before his foot injuries. Not so much now, though he's still a decent WR2. My point was, let's not pretend that the Bills haven't had a good WR since say, Eric Moulds.

In my personal opinion, Josh Allen is a bad QB, or at least a bad passer. I'd be very surprised if he's ever as good as Cousins is right now, and Brown/Beasley will likely account for more targets than Thielen/Rudolph did. Smaller piece of a smaller pie. 

Vikings got a 1st pick , and then some, for Diggs? That's a pretty good deal for Minnesota, getting rid of a guy who wants to be considered an elite WR but who disappears far too much. 40 fewer catches in '19 than in '18. never caught more than 9 TDs in any season. I'm not sure what the draw is for this guy, why Bills would even be interested.Certainly NOT for a 1st and other picks.

and Josh Allen is no bueno. 

They had Sammy Watkins and Robert Woods. Frankly, I've been more impressed with Woods than Diggs in the years since he left Buffalo.

We might have different views of Diggs talent. I think he's probably around the 15th best WR in the NFL. 
Your argument would be significantly stronger had you not mentioned Sammy Watkins.

Vikings got a 1st pick , and then some, for Diggs? That's a pretty good deal for Minnesota, getting rid of a guy who wants to be considered an elite WR but who disappears far too much. 40 fewer catches in '19 than in '18. never caught more than 9 TDs in any season. I'm not sure what the draw is for this guy, why Bills would even be interested.Certainly NOT for a 1st and other picks.

and Josh Allen is no bueno. 
Seems an overpay for sure, but Diggs is better than what Allen has had in his career so far.

Rotoworld take:

Bills acquired WR Stefon Diggs and a 2020 seventh-round pick from the Vikings in exchange for 2020 first-, fifth-, and sixth-rounds picks and a 2021 fourth-round pick.

That's what you get for a No. 1 wideout, so Bill O'Brien should take notes for next time. Diggs was frustrated on more than one occasion last season in Minnesota, broke out for a bunch of 100-yard games in the middle of the year, and then had a somewhat quiet playoffs with 4-76-1 across two games. He, Kirk Cousins, and coach Mike Zimmer never really seemed to be on the same page while Cousins seemed to favor Adam Thielen when everyone was healthy. Diggs goes to Buffalo where he'll join John Brown and Cole Beasley in the Bills' wideout trio. It's not an overly great fit for Diggs to pop off in fantasy, but he should still return easy WR2 numbers at worst. The numbers just may not be consistent with Josh Allen firing him the rock. It should still be an exciting team to watch.

RELATED: 

Minnesota Vikings

SOURCE: Jay Glazer on Twitter

Mar 16, 2020, 10:38 PM ET

I think Woods is. He wins on every level, versus both man and zone on a consistent basis. He's maybe not as exciting, but I do think he's a better overall WR than Diggs.

Watkins probably was before his foot injuries. Not so much now, though he's still a decent WR2. My point was, let's not pretend that the Bills haven't had a good WR since say, Eric Moulds.

In my personal opinion, Josh Allen is a bad QB, or at least a bad passer. I'd be very surprised if he's ever as good as Cousins is right now, and Brown/Beasley will likely account for more targets than Thielen/Rudolph did. Smaller piece of a smaller pie. 
The Bills threw the ball 513 times last season. So 47 more times than the Vikings did last year.

Josh Allen completed 58.8% of his throws last season, a significant improvement from only 52% as a rookie, but still significantly short of the 69.1% completion rate of Kirk Cousins.

The difference in completion rate on 500 attempts is about 50 receptions, so the extra attempts not helping.

Maybe Allen can get above 60% in his 3rd season. The league seems to be trending towards higher completion percentage over all in recent years. My 60% completion rate standard is pretty outdated now. The league average was 63.5% last season.

Josh Allen 32nd of 32 qualifying QBs in completion percentage last year.

Writing off Allen is a mistake. He came from a small school and wasn’t NFL ready. All scouting reports on him were consistent with this. 

Some bone head coaching decisions and bad luck left him starting in his first year when the plan was to sit. He outperformed what was expected for a QB who everyone thought was not NFL ready.

Year 2 (should have been year 1) he again outperformed expectations. 

How does he compare to a couple elite young guys....not well...but who does?

He is smart, physically gifted, a gamer, improved and outperformed expectations. What about that combination indicates a lack of further progression?

:homer:

At first glance you have to see this as a downgrade, but looking at it further its an upgrade IMO. Not a massive upgrade, but an upgrade. His ceiling depends on Allen developing further as a passer. His floor is pretty much the same I think.

Cousins is what he is. Allen has a higher potential IMO, but a similar floor. 
I think Allen is a very good football player. I don’t not think he’s a very good QB. He has room to grow but I’m not sure if his accuracy can improve much. I see this as a downgrade for Diggs (and I own him in 2 leagues). I also think the Bills overpaid to get him - and now they’ll need to pay him like a superstar.

Writing off Allen is a mistake. He came from a small school and wasn’t NFL ready. All scouting reports on him were consistent with this. 

Some bone head coaching decisions and bad luck left him starting in his first year when the plan was to sit. He outperformed what was expected for a QB who everyone thought was not NFL ready.

Year 2 (should have been year 1) he again outperformed expectations. 

How does he compare to a couple elite young guys....not well...but who does?

He is smart, physically gifted, a gamer, improved and outperformed expectations. What about that combination indicates a lack of further progression?

:homer:
Hey they must have a plan for Diggs. Maybe he can help Allen. He is good at contested catches. Has good hands.

Buffalo could certainly use Diggs.  He a very good WR and a competitor that should bring some spark and fight to the team.  Feels like Buffalo overpaid though.  

I think it is a downgrade.  He probably takes some of John Brown's routes. 

Buffalo is not trying to become a passing team.  They are trying to keep the safety out of the box.   

Interesting...  a lot of copied/pasted posts from Lamar Jackson a year ago. Granted, he is a very different QB and ran a ton, but he made some amazing strides as a passer last offseason. It can be done, especially for a raw QB who is not NFL ready at the time he was drafted 
As awesome as Lamar Jackson was last year, he wasn't great at getting the ball to his receivers. If Diggs was in Marquise Brown's shoes, I got him throwing a fit at some point.

58.2% his rookie year to 66.1% completion rate last season. I'd say he did a much better job at getting the ball to his receivers. In fact, he was 9th in the NFL

My point is- a significant improvement in completion percentage and accuracy is possible, especially for raw QBs like Jackson and Allen 
Well my point was the grass isn't always greener. Allen might improve, and he has more potential than Cousins. But the odds of him ever developing into a passer as good as Kirk, they're more of a maybe than guarantee.  

I see it as a slight upgrade for Diggs, but not as good as 2018. Buffalo will probably throw a bit more often than Minnesota , and Diggs is the alpha now, so I think he'll see a decent bump from the 94 Target he got last year. Target quality takes a hit, cancelling at least one of those plusses out. 

Dr. Dan said:
Interesting...  a lot of copied/pasted posts from Lamar Jackson a year ago. Granted, he is a very different QB and ran a ton, but he made some amazing strides as a passer last offseason. It can be done, especially for a raw QB who is not NFL ready at the time he was drafted 
Jackson definitely took a step up last season but that also doesn't mean Allen will. Also the offense Baltimore set up for Jackson helped hide some of his weaknesses and caused the defense to leave some guys open. Even with that said, Jackson was more effective passing to his TEs and RBs than to his WRs from what I observed (I'll admit stats may not back that up so I'll defer to anyone that can counter my observation).

I was not a fan of Allen coming into the league. When there was a lot of buzz that the Jets would target him I was very worried. He's been better than I thought he would be so far but I still don't think he's a great passer and I have doubts he will be. He's a great athlete, a great leader, tough as hell and I like his drive. I'd be ok with him leading my NFL team to some extent but he's not the QB I want for my fantasy WRs.

It's possible, but that's not necessarily a winning approach. I'm not advocating panic selling, and to be honest I'll likely hold, but I'd move him if some one seemed to like the landing spot.
Definitely a sell if someone is buying. If he couldn't exist with Cousins, it'll be fun watching him block for Allen and then getting overthrown by 10 yards. This has disaster written all over it.

I dropped Cole Beasley today on this news. WIth Diggs and John Brown I don't see him getting enough targets to be worth owning.  For Diggs, this seems like a lateral move--yes he is WR1 but I doubt he getst that many more targets than he got in MN. This should also downgrade Brown some.

Definitely a sell if someone is buying. If he couldn't exist with Cousins, it'll be fun watching him block for Allen and then getting overthrown by 10 yards. This has disaster written all over it.
To take the other side (and i'm in the camp where this seems like a downgrade), didn't watch a ton of Bills games last years but John Brown had a pretty good season...

FWIW, Josh Allen was the worst passer in the NFL last year on deep balls, but one of the best (and maybe the best) on intermediate balls. His receivers also had one of the highest drop rates in the entire league. 

I’m not saying he is going to be Drew Brees next year or that there aren’t some significant concerns, but I think there’s some reason for some hope as well.

Users who are viewing this thread