What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Subscriber Contest is LIVE (1 Viewer)

Had been at 18 players forever. Did some tweaking and now have 21. Like this team the best of all my other ones.

What $ amount would feel comfortable sharing the same bye week?
I'm not sure I feel comfortable with it, but I've got $56 on bye in week 10, which is pretty risky that late in the season. However, I've got a 30 man roster and I'm not losing more than 2 players per position. Also have $52 missing in week 7, but again, not more than 2 players per position.

I am going to argue you CANNOT have Adams on your roster at this point.

Having him will only give you 0 advantage over the majority.
Not sure about this. If his value plays out as expected, it will net you a -x point disadvantage compared to that 9 dollars spent elsewhere I would think.
If everyone has him, you are playing for a net 0 gain.

If you gamble (which is th name of this game).. in the end you need a + net advantage. Per $ or no.

eta - that is to say he could be a disadvantage to not rostering all year long .. assuming you plan to win he gains you nothing at the end assuming all have him.
Obviously a huge thanks to Ignoratio Elenchi for previously posting this info...as a segue from Davante Adams discussion. The highest ownership numbers from 2010 & 2012 per position (I couldn't locate the others)...

27.3% - $6 - Derek Anderson

63.4% - $13 - Arian Foster

27.7% - $8 - Mike Williams

26.2% - $21 - Jermichael Finley

34.8% - $19 - Matt Ryan

51.8% - $3 - Cedric Benson

30.2% - $29 - Calvin Johnson

23.4% - $29 - Jimmy Graham

http://subscribers.footballguys.com/contest/2011/percentown.htm

http://subscribers.footballguys.com/contest/2012/percentown.htm

I love this contest.

-biz-
remember when handcuffs were a thing?

eta - i have 3 this year
These two quotes directly contradict each other. If you are into risk you gamble that Adams is a bust and that your RBs stay healthy. If you play it safe, you grab the undervalued guy and handcuff your RBs. Avoiding Adams and handcuffing makes zero sense. You don't have a consistent strategy.
Hard to contradict a strategy I haven't shared with you. I am speaking to Adams in particular. The strategy for him is unique... it is whether you want to play it safe and gain/lose nothing over the field or try to beat the field. Aren't many other guys that will be on nearly every roster.

The strategy in this game is different at the end of the season. You get through the season by surviving.. in which case Adams makes sense. You win/advance later/at the end not with a deep roster but by having those 10 spots scoring the highest. It will no longer matter that Adams is scoring in general, all that will matter is whether his score gives you an advantage over the best rosters.

Also.. I no longer have any handcuffs. Tomorrow I might again. I claimed consistent results (good but not good enough), my strategy/roster changes daily.
Sorry, a little late to this.

You did share two strategies - avoiding a highly owned cheap player (risky) and handcuffing (safe). If you avoid Adams while handcuffing then you've got contradicting strategies at play. However, if you just meant that you own some backups (example: you own Oliver, but not Gordon) then that's different than handcuffing (owning both Gordon and Oliver). Owning a few high upside backups would fall into the risky category and would mesh with your avoid Adams strategy.

FWIW, I do fully understand the two strategies at play in this contest - surviving and then thriving. Personally, I don't think owning a $9 commonly owned player like Adams hurts you very much, if at all, during the second phase of the contest. Especially if you have a large roster.

Is Brady a must-play at $14 now?
Early weeks have low cuts, he's always been a deal at that price.
That's a good point and I've had him on my roster since the beginning, but just feeling everyone else out.

I foresee a boatload of rosters with Brady/Bradford for $27 total.
Yep, the " highly owned" thing is causing me some grief. I think to win it all you have to have some variance, but the question is how much?

That's a good point and I've had him on my roster since the beginning, but just feeling everyone else out.

Yep, the " highly owned" thing is causing me some grief. I think to win it all you have to have some variance, but the question is how much?
Yep. In the end, I pick all the guys I think are the best values, and then try to make sure I haven't missed a super cheap lotto ticket. Combine that with picking my own less-obvious (I hope) tickets and some stud players you think will be the best...

Nobody ever has the same exact roster. Make the best possible team and then step aside. I think I've focused too much in the past on whether I have the right amount of variance and such instead of going with the much simpler approach.

yeah, those two or Brady + cheap guys will be on a lot of rosters. Brady is one of two guys I haven't changed out, ever.

Tom Brady had a very nice run in the middle of last season but the first & last month were poor. Ultimately, he ended up at QB7. You shouldn't expect much more than that. He will not be top 5 IMO.

Wonderllama said:
Tom Brady had a very nice run in the middle of last season but the first & last month were poor. Ultimately, he ended up at QB7. You shouldn't expect much more than that. He will not be top 5 IMO.
He's at an age where decline can easily creep in. He was overpriced before, but is fairly valued now. I don't see what makes him more valuable than the guys directly (+/- $1) around him.

Combine the last two seasons and River ($13) is QB6, Stafford ($15) is QB8, Brady ($14) is QB10, and Tannehill ($15) is QB11. Why take the risk of the 38 year old guy declining?

Tom Brady is a WORSE play now than before.

Before, he wouldn't have been owned by many teams, despite the fact that you can skate through the first four weeks. Now lots of teams will have him because they don't understand this contest, and he's no longer a 'unique' player.

Taking him off my team after today's news.

Brady, and Adams the 2 highest owned players that aren't kickers or defense?
Bradford for $13, Adams for $9, Abdullah for $14, Funchess for $5, Martin for $12 are going to be on a ton of rosters.

That's not bad though, about 20% of the budget on highly owned players. After that, pick the studs you like and the rosters will vary wildly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is the idea that you have to take Brady off your roster because of this news a "contest joke" like the joke about players on page two, or stacking easy DEF matchups early?

Is the idea that you have to take Brady off your roster because of this news a "contest joke" like the joke about players on page two, or stacking easy DEF matchups early?
It's not a joke, but I don't agree with the reasoning. I take what I think is the best value no matter perceived ownership percentage. There will be enough variance in rosters at other spots anyway.

That being said, I've never had Brady on my roster and probably still won't. Don't think his value is much different than others around the same price, though his early bye week is tempting.

They are being serious, thinking that a highly-owned QB won't separate them from the pack enough to win it all.

There's some truth to that, but what happens if Brady is the highest-scoring QB in the final 3 weeks and 75% of rosters have him?

Not a joke...just betting against the masses and Brady. If he gets hurt or has a few off weeks, it could eliminate a lot of Brady teams. Do you ride the wave, hope he has a top 5 season, and let the rest of your roster put you over the top of the masses....or do you watch from the sideline and hope the wave crashes, taking away a lot of other teams with him.

They are being serious, thinking that a highly-owned QB won't separate them from the pack enough to win it all.

There's some truth to that, but what happens if Brady is the highest-scoring QB in the final 3 weeks and 75% of rosters have him?
Then you probably lose if you don't have him

(HULK) said:
Honestly, I might take him off now.
This. He's been a consistent name because I thought folks would be scared off of him. I never thought he was the best bargain at QB, just a good bargain with likely low ownership. Now, meh.

But here's the rub:

You probably still lose if you do have him.

If you think the guy is going to be the top QB the final 3 weeks and a top 5 QB season-long, then you should roster him. I didn't and I still don't, but before I figured the ownership would be low enough that low probability of a big season would pay off well enough if it hit. Now, I'm focused a lot more on the low probability side of the equation because the pay-off will be reduced.

The NFL is going to appeal....it's not likely to effect this season however. If this gets overturned though and he has to sit out in the middle or end of the season, that would kill those teams.

But here's the rub:

If you think the guy is going to be the top QB the final 3 weeks and a top 5 QB season-long, then you should roster him. I didn't and I still don't, but before I figured the ownership would be low enough that low probability of a big season would pay off well enough if it hit. Now, I'm focused a lot more on the low probability side of the equation because the pay-off will be reduced.
The statement above is the only thing you need to read about the topic of Tom Brady in this contest. Well said.

But here's the rub:

Sure, but what if I just think the value of him and others I can get because of his cost is better than the options?

But here's the rub:

Sure, but what if I just think the value of him and others I can get because of his cost is better than the options?
Then you should roster them, IMO. Always start with the guys you think are going to score the most points for you, because that's what matters. It's always best to have the best players rostered. I don't have that level of confidence on any player, but others may.

Regardless, I don't (and didn't) think Brady is the best value at QB and I don't (and didn't) think he is likely to be the best QB to roster at that price point. But I am always willing to accept that I might be wrong in what I think. The prospect of a lower ownership percentage with the suspension was enough for me to have him rostered -- the risk/reward analysis had reward > risk for me at that point. The prospect of higher ownership without the suspension and the classic overreaction of the masses has the risk/reward analysis tilted to risk > reward for me. Everyone else's analysis will necessarily differ from mine to some degree.

I think people are worried way too much about uniqueness. IMO you pick the best players you can for the money and if others have the same guy so be it. I certainly wouldn't have wanted to be unique and miss out of Kelvin Benjamin or Travis Kelce last year, for example.

Right now I am sitting at this.

3 qbs for 17

5 rbs for 97

7 receivers for 81

3 tight ends for 34

3 kickers for 7

3 defenses for 14

I am sure this isn't my final

I think people are worried way too much about uniqueness. IMO you pick the best players you can for the money and if others have the same guy so be it. I certainly wouldn't have wanted to be unique and miss out of Kelvin Benjamin or Travis Kelce last year, for example.
I agree with this. No sense being unique and going for little owned guys who will be just average. Worry about making it to the end first by rostering the best guys, not about whether or not anybody else has the same lineup as you.

Tom Brady is a WORSE play now than before.

Before, he wouldn't have been owned by many teams, despite the fact that you can skate through the first four weeks. Now lots of teams will have him because they don't understand this contest, and he's no longer a 'unique' player.

Taking him off my team after today's news.
I agree he is a worse play now than before, but he has an early bye week. That alone makes him slightly more valuable than the guys around him. Tannehill at $15 with a week 5 bye is the closest.

Been set for a week with no changes expected.

QB= $28

RB= $89

WR= $85

TE= $ 30

PK= $ 9

TD= $ 9

BYES:

4= $ 3

5= $77

6= $49

7= $33

8= $20

9= $19

10=$46

11=$ 3

Bye week 9 is my killer at WR. To a lesser extend week 10. The majority of my roster is set in stone except for this issue. Still trying to figure it out.

9 players to fill 7 spots at RB/WR/TE seems too thin that late in the contest.

I feel like at least one of the teams I have submitted is good enough to make the final 250. The problem is that I don't know which one.

I like TMWNN's format so I'll just use it:

QB= $33

RB= $86

WR= $73

TE= $31

PK= $12

TD= $15

BYES:

4= $14

5= $25

6= $71

7= $42

8= $26

9= $30

10=$24

11=$18

Not in love with that much invested at PK and DST and that little at WR, but I've always liked having 3 PK and DST and I think there is value to be had at WR at lower prices this year.

Currently at

QB 31

RB 93

WR 77

TE 26

K 8

DT 15

Week 4 10

Week 5 67

Week 6 14

Week 7 43

Week 8 22

Week 9 28

Week 10 30

Week 11 36

Little concerned about only having 2 TEs but I feel pretty set with what I have. Only one week where I have 2 players at same position on bye.

Week 7 is the difficult bye week for me. The problem is all of those guys are guys who I feel are the best values in the contest. I may have to downgrade another guy for some better depth to help cover that week because I don't want to get rid of any of those guys.

I agree with this. No sense being unique and going for little owned guys who will be just average. Worry about making it to the end first by rostering the best guys, not about whether or not anybody else has the same lineup as you.
Yea, no kidding. Something like 70% of the final 250 had cutler, and the top teams still had him because he scored high in week 14. You don't need to be unique to win.

I just blew it up and redid everything. Week 7 is giving me fits now also. I'd have $65 on the sidelines.

If not for that, I'd love this lineup as much as any other.

Yes to the 4pt pass TD (I believe it was Sanu passed to Dalton for a TD) Sanu 4pt Dalton 6 pt.

0 bye week issue this year have made hundreds of changes but never had a big issue. Only issue is a lot of top end talent have late byes however in the past the later rounds have some of the lower cuts.

Taking a gamble on week 5 though this year but I'm making my early call to be brought up later in the contest..... Wait for it.... Week 5 lowest cut (within the byes) and week 6 highest cut of the competition.

Let the games begin in 5 days!!!

I'm a bit worried about having $67 on bye in week 10 including a couple of my best players. I like the team a lot otherwise.

It's really hard to commit to the muscle hamster as RB3 when I feel like I should be taking Plastic BoJackson. I keep thinking there is a pro Randle bias and McFadden will end up with greater carries. Not taking Abdullah The Butcher cuz I've already got Lions passing game investments. Not feeling the Shetland Pony this year either. It's pretty much down to these four for my RB3....convince me?

Users who are viewing this thread