What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Would Ronda Rousey kick your ###? (2 Viewers)

Would Ronda Rousey kick your ###?

• No way, wouldn't even be close. She would be on life support rather quickly.

Votes: 17 3.7%
  • No. She would last a bit with me, get in a few good punches but she would lose.

Votes: 23 4.9%
  • It would be close. Probably a lot of grappling and it would go to a judges decision.

Votes: 3 0.6%
  • Yes, she would beat me but I would give her a pretty good fight for a couple RD before I submit to s

Votes: 40 8.6%
  • Yes, she would beat the living crap out of me.

Votes: 382 82.2%

• Total voters
There are two primary skills in MMA - standing and ground fighting.
When people get to talking about MMA and required skillsets, it's often implied (no, I'm not going to be able to link to it) that stand-up skills, boxing-/muay-thai-type footwork, and striking (esp with the hands) is virtually worthless in MMA. From the matches I've seen (not a ton, and geared toward pre-2000 MMA bouts), it seems like groundwork decides EVERY match without fail -- or it used to.

Brazilian jujitsu, taken alone, is also conferred a special status. It's often implied (again, no cite), that a skinny HS freshman who has trained in BJJ for a month could go clear out a bar full of Hells Angels all by himself, Danny Theriot style.

Random thought:

How much of a handicap is it for an MMA fighter to fight in a match where chokeholds and joint locks were forbidden? All strikes and throws are in play, but nothing else?

That would make the fight long and brutal, it would seem. Have to get a KO (or by special rule: a 3-count pin?).

I've been waiting for my friend to get back from vacation to ask him about this. He's been training himself for 20 years and training others for almost 10, 6 days a week...

This is his response:

I'd say most guys 200+lbs that are mildly athletic could beat her after a week of training. She'd kick the #### out of an untrained guy that was around her weight

When people get to talking about MMA and required skillsets, it's often implied (no, I'm not going to be able to link to it) that stand-up skills, boxing-/muay-thai-type footwork, and striking (esp with the hands) is virtually worthless in MMA. From the matches I've seen (not a ton, and geared toward pre-2000 MMA bouts), it seems like groundwork decides EVERY match without fail -- or it used to.

Brazilian jujitsu, taken alone, is also conferred a special status. It's often implied (again, no cite), that a skinny HS freshman who has trained in BJJ for a month could go clear out a bar full of Hells Angels all by himself, Danny Theriot style.
That is some wrong implying. Most of the current champs are primarily strikers. Dodson, Dillashaw, Aldo/McGregor, Lawler, Jones, Jedrzejczk, etc. and most of the next topped ranked guys do as well. What sets those guys apart from everyone else is that their standup is so much better than others while their ground games are relatively equal or good enough to neutralize their opponents ground games.

Random thought:

How much of a handicap is it for an MMA fighter to fight in a match where chokeholds and joint locks were forbidden? All strikes and throws are in play, but nothing else?

That would make the fight long and brutal, it would seem. Have to get a KO (or by special rule: a 3-count pin?).
Depends on the fighter. "MMA Fighter" encompasses a pretty wide range of skillsets.

Sounds like you haven't watched very much MMA (not trying to be a jackass with that comment). Probably half the fights are strictly standup.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like you haven't watched very much MMA (not trying to be a jackass with that comment). Probably half the fights are strictly standup.
Not watched much at all since the '90s. To me, when I picture "MMA fighter", I picture Royce Gracie or Dan Severn. Ken Shamrock and guys like that.

Am I given to understand that if you could time-travel 1994 Royce Gracie from UFC 4 to UFC 119, he would not nearly be competitive in his weight class due to evolutions in the sport?

If half the fights are stand-up these days, that must mean there was a lot of development in MMA over 20 years. I had thought that modern MMA was basically taking what Royce Gracie did early on, and then building upon that.

I think that used to be the case back when very few people had any BJJ background. Striking is very important.

Not watched much at all since the '90s. To me, when I picture "MMA fighter", I picture Royce Gracie or Dan Severn. Ken Shamrock and guys like that.

Am I given to understand that if you could time-travel 1994 Royce Gracie from UFC 4 to UFC 119, he would not nearly be competitive in his weight class due to evolutions in the sport?

If half the fights are stand-up these days, that must mean there was a lot of development in MMA over 20 years. I had thought that modern MMA was basically taking what Royce Gracie did early on, and then building upon that.
Gracie came back for a fight against former welterweight champ Matt Hughes at UFC60. Gracie was obviously well past his physical prime and Hughes was on the tail end of his career as well. It wasn't close. Hughes destroyed him; round 1 TKO. Hughes was a big strong wrestler who had no problem controlling Gracie. Time travelling Gracie would still be competitive but would not be a champ. He'd be very, very similar to Damien Maia. Best BJJ guy in the UFC but limited striking ability. If he can't get his opponent down, he loses. And even if he gets him down, there is no guarantee he'll submit him.

The biggest advantage Gracie had was that none of his opponents had likely even heard of BJJ, let alone trained for it. Nowadays, every single guy has BJJ training. They don't necessarily use it for offence, but it is a necessity for defence. If you don't know it, you'll get tapped pretty quick.

In MMA today, just like in the early days, there is a wide, wide range of styles. Except then, guys only knew one style. Nowadays, guys have training in damn near every style. The Karate guys back in the early UFC got smoked because thats all they knew. Now the Karate guys, Machida, Thompson (highlights 1 and 2 - can't find his best), Nelson and GSP are also either great wrestlers or BJJ. The Thai fighters like Aldo and Silva have black belts in BJJ.

That is some wrong implying. Most of the current champs are primarily strikers. Dodson, Dillashaw, Aldo/McGregor, Lawler, Jones, Jedrzejczk, etc. and most of the next topped ranked guys do as well. What sets those guys apart from everyone else is that their standup is so much better than others while their ground games are relatively equal or good enough to neutralize their opponents ground games.
Out of the guys you listed, Dillashaw and Jones come from grappling backgrounds. As do DJ, Weidman, Cormier, and Werdum. IMO it's more common to see guys from grappling backgrounds at the top levels of MMA -- and most of those guys are such effective MMA strikers in part based on their serious takedown threat.

Someone brought up Bruce Lee on the previous page and was pretty much laughed off. I think the comparison between Rousey and Bruce Lee are interesting, however, because Lee's actual skills and training background are not commonly understood.

While the stuff Lee did in the movies was largely for show, he had loads of legit fighting training in his background. He practiced both wing shun, which includes grappling work, and kung fu from boyhood in Hong Kong until he went to college in the U.S. As a young teen, he regular engaged in street fights with other local fighters (kind of a weird real-life Fight Club thing). Bruce Lee was kicked out of his first high school in Hong Kong for being involved in these matches. Despite this, he continued on in the fight scene. Later he beat the son of a powerful Triad boss, leading to some tense days for his family awaiting retaliation. For his own good, Bruce Lee's father sent him to live with his sister in San Francisco.

Long story short: Lee started teaching wing shun and kung fu informally in Seattle a few years after coming over. Word spread, and some fighters from other disciplines (judo, tae kwon do, etc.) came to train with Lee. In turn, Lee learned what he could of other's skill sets and, over time, developed his own style of "unregimented " wing shun, optimized for street fighting, known as Jeet Kune Do.

So, Lee's bona fides as a fighter, both striking and grappling, are established. Coincidentally, he was very close to Rousey's height and weight (Lee: 5' 8", ~140-145 lbs). If you could time-travel Lee circa 1972 into a modern octagon to fight Rousey, would his "maleness" (aka better strength-per-unit-of-mass ratio) give him a distinct advantage in MMA over Rousey?
Well, I don't know if I was laughed off. Heh. But, yeah, good post. I was assuming his training and fighting outside the movie was well known. I was just pointing out another case where loads of high level, cross discipline training would offset fighting someone that just had a lot more mass. Obviously, with comparable training, mass would definitely be a factor; hence weight classes within a fighting discipline.

RE: Mayweather vs Rousey - styles make fights. I don't believe RR has what it takes to get in on a fighter like Mayweather.

Rousey is a world class judoka, for sure. Judo, as far as I know, primarily works from the clinch. You have to be able to get a grip on your opponent before you can throw them. I don't believe there is any element in judo where you can get your takedown without establishing a grip first (I have no first hand knowledge of judo, so please correct me if I'm wrong). That means for RR to get her opponent on the ground where her jitsu can be effective, she has to work her way into the clinch (or take advantage of an opponents bad shot).

I can't recall RR ever initiating a traditional, leg-attack takedown from outside the clinch...that's what would be needed to get a high level boxer on the ground. That's what Couture did vs Toney (as linked earlier) - a low, John-Smith-style single leg.

I'm not saying RR can't execute a shot like that, it's just something I've never seen from her. It's not a move that she would have used in her judo career, and I haven't seen it from her (or many other fighters, for that matter) in the cage.

FM is a very smart fighter. He wouldn't need to watch a whole lot of RR's film to know to stay out of her clinch. He would know all he has to do is circle away from pressure and keep that jab out there...RR would have no way to protect herself from the onslaught of jabs and fast, accurate combos.

There are two primary skills in MMA - standing and ground fighting. Wrestling is important because you can dictate how you want the fight to go - the better wrestler gets to dictate if he wants the fight on the ground or not. That's why pure boxers get chewed up in MMA - their opponent can always shoot underneath them and get the fight on the ground. AFAIK, RR hasn't shown any ability to wrestle (beyond her judo stuff).
Yes, but have you seen her box?

It's come a HUGE way technically in the last 20 years. Anyone good enough to make it to the UFC now is well rounded and at least solid everywhere the fight goes.

Royce Gracie is 6ft tall and 175lbs.
What is your point?

This guy was 6'8" 486 pounds that Royce fought.

you misunderstood.

The person who was 140 pounds as a kid (I never listed a height since I don't know it) was Royce's dad. He was person who created the style way back and then taught it to his kids.

The only edits I made to the post was to fix spelling. Read it again, it might make more sense now what I was talking about.

https://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index.php?/topic/729850-would-ronda-rousey-kick-your/?p=18237072

Or you can read Royce's own comments on why he was chosen because his smaller size would make for a more impressive demonstration of the fighting style.

http://www.mmafighting.com/ufc/2012/11/12/3637276/nineteen-years-later-royce-gracie-reflects-on-ufc-1

"I have such a big family, sometimes, I was wondering, when is it going to be my turn?" Gracie said. "There's always a brother who's older, younger, bigger, stronger, faster, I was like, ‘hey, give me a chance guys.'"

Ultimately, Rorion Gracie chose Royce over Rickson, and the martial arts world would never be the same. Gracie won the inaugural UFC tournament at Denver's McNichols Arena, and though he had no idea at the time, he forever altered the combat sports landscape.

"Rickson was a little too big," Gracie said on Monday's edition of The MMA Hour, which commemorated the UFC's 19th anniversary. "So it wouldn't be as impressive, a 200 pounder beating up a 220. Me being 178 and beating up a 220 was a little more impressive."

RE: Mayweather vs Rousey - styles make fights. I don't believe RR has what it takes to get in on a fighter like Mayweather.

Rousey is a world class judoka, for sure. Judo, as far as I know, primarily works from the clinch. You have to be able to get a grip on your opponent before you can throw them. I don't believe there is any element in judo where you can get your takedown without establishing a grip first (I have no first hand knowledge of judo, so please correct me if I'm wrong). That means for RR to get her opponent on the ground where her jitsu can be effective, she has to work her way into the clinch (or take advantage of an opponents bad shot).

I can't recall RR ever initiating a traditional, leg-attack takedown from outside the clinch...that's what would be needed to get a high level boxer on the ground. That's what Couture did vs Toney (as linked earlier) - a low, John-Smith-style single leg.

I'm not saying RR can't execute a shot like that, it's just something I've never seen from her. It's not a move that she would have used in her judo career, and I haven't seen it from her (or many other fighters, for that matter) in the cage.

FM is a very smart fighter. He wouldn't need to watch a whole lot of RR's film to know to stay out of her clinch. He would know all he has to do is circle away from pressure and keep that jab out there...RR would have no way to protect herself from the onslaught of jabs and fast, accurate combos.

There are two primary skills in MMA - standing and ground fighting. Wrestling is important because you can dictate how you want the fight to go - the better wrestler gets to dictate if he wants the fight on the ground or not. That's why pure boxers get chewed up in MMA - their opponent can always shoot underneath them and get the fight on the ground. AFAIK, RR hasn't shown any ability to wrestle (beyond her judo stuff).
I would welcome the opportunity to see her box.

Out of the guys you listed, Dillashaw and Jones come from grappling backgrounds. As do DJ, Weidman, Cormier, and Werdum. IMO it's more common to see guys from grappling backgrounds at the top levels of MMA -- and most of those guys are such effective MMA strikers in part based on their serious takedown threat.
Yes. But they also win the majority of their fights now with striking. I'd agree that a strong wrestling background is the best base for an MMA fighter.

Yes. But they also win the majority of their fights now with striking. I'd agree that a strong wrestling background is the best base for an MMA fighter.
One ironic thing to tie this all back into Ronda is that out of all the combat bases MMA fighters start with (wrestling, boxing, BJJ, karate, etc), I sometimes feel like Judo is the least used background in MMA.

I would welcome the opportunity to see her box.
ESPN body issue a couple years back got VERY close

The only negative thing i can say about RR fighting style is her striking is very very amateurish...hitting the focus mitts she looked pretty good...when the fight started she just brawled and was way off balance and her punches looked awful ...yet she she threw so many that the ones that landed ,landed hard ...but she was wide open for so many counter punches it was crazy ....while exciting she took way to many chances...she couldnt do that vs a trained boxer and last more than 15 seconds

I saw her box in vegas one time. She was rough around the edges but quite polished in the middle rounds. On the hole, it was actually well worth the price of admission.

The only negative thing i can say about RR fighting style is her striking is very very amateurish...hitting the focus mitts she looked pretty good...when the fight started she just brawled and was way off balance and her punches looked awful ...yet she she threw so many that the ones that landed ,landed hard ...but she was wide open for so many counter punches it was crazy ....while exciting she took way to many chances...she couldnt do that vs a trained boxer and last more than 15 seconds
:goodposting:

Everyone keeps saying that RR would just take FM down to the ground. She wouldn't get close enough. He would hit her so hard and fast that she wouldn't even see it coming. FM hits a bit harder than Meisha Tate does.

But as de Lion said, he has no 1 punch KO ability. They would shrug his #### off like it was nothing. Remember they are used to getting punched in the face with far less than boxing gloves.
Why is FM wearing boxing gloves? Don't MMA gloves cause more damage? Wouldn't he wear those?

So where is the bar currently? Are we up around Mike Tyson in his prime, Bruce Lee, Cain Velasquez? Don't feel like reading the last 3 pages I've missed.

Most of you have seen women athletes right?

They are still feminine. Weaker, slower and smaller than men of the same size and training. Skill can help mitigate that some, but the differences are striking when fully confronted with the comparison.

RR could not defeat FM in any forum where he is allowed to punch her. She cannot defend against his speed and power. He is a world class athlete and fights other world class atheletes and wins. The argument is ludicrous.

This also brings me to the potential unidentified FBG. Can she defeat ANY average Joe no matter his size, strength or skill? Of course not. There are untrained men who by sheer size and strength would not be beaten by RR. Now the only question is, does a man like that post in the FFA? I don't know, but I wouldn't be surprised.

I'm 6'2", 240 lbs and somewhat athletic, but I've never been in a fight in my life. Someone my size with some kind of fighting/MA training could get it done I'm sure. 7" & 105 lbs is not only a lot, but factoring in the muscle mass and natural male developmental advantages, an insurmountable advantage.
Ok
He's also claimed to be better than Lebron. So there's that.
Uhhhhh no.I used to say I had a better jump shot than LeBron. Now he has improved it vastly over his career so that is no longer the case.

Of course, you've never seen me play ball, so you have no basis for any discussion on the matter.
I can throw a football over them mountains.
I know that God exists.

I heard a report today that Boeing is considering a plan to clone her DNA for use in building future airplanes. Indestructible.

But as de Lion said, he has no 1 punch KO ability. They would shrug his #### off like it was nothing. Remember they are used to getting punched in the face with far less than boxing gloves.
Why is FM wearing boxing gloves? Don't MMA gloves cause more damage? Wouldn't he wear those?
The biggest difference between 4 oz gloves vs boxing gloves is that boxing gloves are waaaaay better for parrying / defense. Damage-wise the difference is probably negligible. Boxing gloves are heavier, and they're still not soft at all.

So where is the bar currently? Are we up around Mike Tyson in his prime, Bruce Lee, Cain Velasquez? Don't feel like reading the last 3 pages I've missed.
Just FYI, the over / under on the point of diminishing returns on the same joke is typically about 1.5 -- and its a straw man anyway. The most "outlandish" claim re: Rousey is that she'd have a chance against Mayweather (but Floyd would likely KO her), or that she could sub most completely untrained people pretty easily.

They are still feminine. Weaker, slower and smaller than men of the same size and training. Skill can help mitigate that some, but the differences are striking when fully confronted with the comparison.

RR could not defeat FM in any forum where he is allowed to punch her. She cannot defend against his speed and power. He is a world class athlete and fights other world class atheletes and wins. The argument is ludicrous.

This also brings me to the potential unidentified FBG. Can she defeat ANY average Joe no matter his size, strength or skill? Of course not. There are untrained men who by sheer size and strength would not be beaten by RR. Now the only question is, does a man like that post in the FFA? I don't know, but I wouldn't be surprised.

I'm 6'2", 240 lbs and somewhat athletic, but I've never been in a fight in my life. Someone my size with some kind of fighting/MA training could get it done I'm sure. 7" & 105 lbs is not only a lot, but factoring in the muscle mass and natural male developmental advantages, an insurmountable advantage.
Ok
Uhhhhh no.I used to say I had a better jump shot than LeBron. Now he has improved it vastly over his career so that is no longer the case.

Of course, you've never seen me play ball, so you have no basis for any discussion on the matter.
She'd twist you up like a pretzel and make you scream like a baby.
I'd hope so.

I'm hoping this is a more intelligent line of questioning for the MMA guys:

How does RR fare against Olympic-level men's freestyle and Greco-Roman wrestlers in the 60 and 66 kg weight classes (132.3- 1 45.5 lbs)? I know MMA guys don't respect striking sans grappling, so I'm thinking perhaps the groundwork the wrestlers do is of more help in the octagon (but yes, I remember Dan Severn's early days in MMA).

If the striking-knowledge deficit is too great for the male 60-66 kg wrestlers to make up, can larger male wrestlers (same disciplines) make up the difference on sheer size? Allowing for a flight of fancy here: RR getting a submission lock on say, prime Aleksandr Karelin** - 6'4", ~280 lbs, 3x Greco-Roman gold medalist - is no doubt harder for her than doing the same on an FFA desk jockey, right?

Could she expected to be able to regularly submit an athlete of Karelin's size and skill? Also seems that anyone his size that came up through the Soviet athletic training system would be a lock for a 500-lb bench and other generally gaudy strength numbers.

** yep, the guy that lost to Rulon Gardner in 2000 in Sydney.
I used to work with the guy that won a bronze in wrestling in Seoul. Back in the beginning of organized MMA fights (mid 90s), he thought he'd have a chance to win but didn't want to risk a broken leg. I think RR would lose to most olympic calibre wrestlers her size or bigger.

Ok

I'm a better dunker than Dominque ever was. Since you've never seen me dunk, you have no basis for discussion on the matter and you just have to accept that it is true.
:lmao: Yes, exactly the same situation. Maybe you should start to watch a different sport since you seem to have so much trouble grasping basic basketball concepts.

Which FBG is going to supply said right hand to the kisser?
No se. I'd just liked to see how she reacts to getting rocked.
I do enjoy how in every single example that is discussed with her dominating, not one has been open to the possibility of her taking a solid punch in the teeth. People talk about FM not having knockout power? How hard do you think he could punch a 135lb woman in a fight?

Users who are viewing this thread