What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Would Ronda Rousey kick your ###? (1 Viewer)

Would Ronda Rousey kick your ###?

• No way, wouldn't even be close. She would be on life support rather quickly.

Votes: 17 3.7%
  • No. She would last a bit with me, get in a few good punches but she would lose.

Votes: 23 4.9%
  • It would be close. Probably a lot of grappling and it would go to a judges decision.

Votes: 3 0.6%
  • Yes, she would beat me but I would give her a pretty good fight for a couple RD before I submit to s

Votes: 40 8.6%
  • Yes, she would beat the living crap out of me.

Votes: 382 82.2%

• Total voters
Why do you know so many high school girls?
Lots of reasons My daughter plays, good friend of the coach. Two other girls living next door play and we have a goal and they are around shooting hoops most evenings.
Well this explains your delusion. Parents and coaches of kids sports are absolutely jaded by what they see.
Actually, if you want to get anecdotal let's get anecdotal because I have a story that applies here.

When I was in college I wasn't nearly good enough to play college basketball but I played pickup or intramurals almost every day. I wasn't fast, and couldn't rebound or play defense with anybody good, but I could shoot. For example, junior year I took second place in the three point competition for my entire college (which included the guys on the basketball team). In grade school I always made it to like the third of fourth level of the Knights of Columbus free throw tourneys. I always had my own "goal" at my house or a hoop in walking distance of my dorm. In sum, I'd be confident I could give a really good high school girl shooter a run for her money in an uncontested shooting contest. Anyway, during the summers in high school and college I worked as a day counselor for an inner city youth program (basically I was paid to hang out and play games with kids all day and take them to activities). One of those activities was a basketball camp with 76ers great Darryl Dawkins. For fun, Dawkins challenged a few of us counselors to a three point contest. I thought I could maybe take him. I mean he was wearing casual loafers and had been retired for ten plus years. Plus it was obvious he was barely trying. I hung with him for a few rounds but then, when he decided to try just a little bit, he demolished me. He must have made like ten in a row. Keep in mind, this was an outdoor city court with double-rims and a chain for a net.

In Dawkins' accomplished pro career he attempted 15 threes and made 2 of them.

Last edited by a moderator:
How many pages of this thread involve the rockaction schtick? I got to like page 3 and tapped out. Assuming I didn't miss much in the other 13

It wouldn't make financial sense? I think we all know that is ridiculous, right?

Edit:

Actually it wouldn't should Ronda lose.

It wouldn't make financial sense? I think we all know that is ridiculous, right?

Edit:

Right, I think that was the general point multiple posters made in the thread when I asked the question.

The UFC has a unexpected important asset in Ronda and they will likely protect it until they feel that a catch weight fight would make sense (likely closer to the end of her career).

As a fan I would love to see the catch weight fight but it is easy to understand the UFC's likely reluctance.

Why not meet at a catch weight then?
we talked about this in the MMA thread.

The answer was that you can not have a title fight at a catch weight.

The theory was that it would not make any financial sense for the UFC to book a catch weight non title fight even though I think most agree Rousey's frame could easily handle a few extra pounds.
So it's impossible to have a title fight at a catch weight. That blows but it's not the end of the world. I know Rousey has said that she'd give Carano a title shot at a catch weight, but I guess she's just flapping them lips then. The Cyborg/Rousey fight would be the only women's fight I'd be interested in seeing in the future. I guess letting Rousey continue to dominate the nobody's in that division is best for the business.

Edit:

Rousey has alot more to lose. She's probably done fighting in a few more years. She is setup nicely to be "the female movie action star". A bad loss takes abit of the shine off of the star.

Why not meet at a catch weight then?
we talked about this in the MMA thread.

The answer was that you can not have a title fight at a catch weight.

The theory was that it would not make any financial sense for the UFC to book a catch weight non title fight even though I think most agree Rousey's frame could easily handle a few extra pounds.
So it's impossible to have a title fight at a catch weight. That blows but it's not the end of the world. I know Rousey has said that she'd give Carano a title shot at a catch weight, but I guess she's just flapping them lips then. The Cyborg/Rousey fight would be the only women's fight I'd be interested in seeing in the future. I guess letting Rousey continue to dominate the nobody's in that division is best for the business.
I don't know the exact rules which is why I asked the question in the MMA thread but that was the answer that a few different posters gave about the catch weights.

Those posters were very knowledgeable about the rules so I have no reason to not believe them but I guess the UFC could change its rules any time it wanted (unless this is something regulated from the state sporting commission, that goes way beyond what little I know).

It should also be noted that UFC does have plenty of catch weight fights but I am not sure if they have ever had a championship one. Perhaps someone else knows their history better than I do...

Bottom line, they could make it happen, but won't for quite some time. It would almost be a good thing for Dana White if Cyborg loses, that way it never has to happen.

Edit:

Rousey has alot more to lose. She's probably done fighting in a few more years. She is setup nicely to be "the female movie action star". A bad loss takes abit of the shine off of the star.
I think this is a big part of it.

Ronda does not make very much off of the fights themselves. However, the UFC has given her the avenues to movies, sponsorship's etc where she is and will continue to make a lot of money.

I agree with your last sentence 100%. I am sure her handlers know that all too well.

Edit:

Ronda does not make very much off of the fights themselves. However, the UFC has given her the avenues to movies, sponsorship's etc where she is and will continue to make a lot of money.

I agree with your last sentence 100%. I am sure her handlers know that all too well.
She'll be pulling a couple million a fight from points on the PPV.

Edit:

She'll be pulling a couple million a fight from points on the PPV.
I was talking historically. It is only relatively recently that she has started to make good points off of the PPV's.

My knowledge level of MMA or any fighting is extremely low, and the thought of Rousey not being destroyed in seconds by a JJ Watt/Gronk/LeBron-like athlete seems absurd to me at first thought. Now, the conviction of people that actually follow MMA has certainly led me to heavily question my intuitive reaction. It seems that me most agree that additional bulk provides vastly diminishing returns.

But I am curious about the other side of the size comparison. What is too small to beat an untrained fighter but world class 6'5 250-lb athlete? Certainly there is a point. Someone that weighs 85 lbs can't take Gronk, no matter how skilled he or she is, I imagine. I don't know, maybe I'm wrong about that, too.

My knowledge level of MMA or any fighting is extremely low, and the thought of Rousey not being destroyed in seconds by a JJ Watt/Gronk/LeBron-like athlete seems absurd to me at first thought. Now, the conviction of people that actually follow MMA has certainly led me to heavily question my intuitive reaction. It seems that me most agree that additional bulk provides vastly diminishing returns.

But I am curious about the other side of the size comparison. What is too small to beat an untrained fighter but world class 6'5 250-lb athlete? Certainly there is a point. Someone that weighs 85 lbs can't take Gronk, no matter how skilled he or she is, I imagine. I don't know, maybe I'm wrong about that, too.
It is a good question but too hard too answer.

If you look through the thread there are numerous videos posted showing significantly smaller opponents (by hundreds of pounds) beating bigger guys. Typically the smaller fighter in these cases rarely win via knock out but much more likely via submission.

If submissions were removed from the equation, the advantage would move SIGNIFICANTLY to the larger guy.

To be fair, there are probably as many videos of big guys kicking small guys asses, but those aren't interesting enough to get recognition.

If you look through the thread there are numerous videos posted showing significantly smaller opponents (by hundreds of pounds) beating bigger guys. Typically the smaller fighter in these cases rarely win via knock out but much more likely via submission.

If submissions were removed from the equation, the advantage would move SIGNIFICANTLY to the larger guy.
The problem with these is that the bigger opponent is usually a pile of goo. Sure, there is a weight difference, but a pile of goo is a pile of goo.

It's a different thing altogether to give up a bunch of weight when the larger opponent is a sound athlete.

The problem with these is that the bigger opponent is usually a pile of goo. Sure, there is a weight difference, but a pile of goo is a pile of goo.

It's a different thing altogether to give up a bunch of weight when the larger opponent is a sound athlete.
Pretty sure that's what the thread was supposed to be about based on the OP's topic...

At the Olive Garden in Cedar Rapids a few Wednesdays ago:

Waitress: Ma'am, you wanna box for your leftovers?

Rousey: No, but I'll wrestle you for the check.

Thanks for those guys taking up my cause on the shooting thing. I never argued about shooting vs a defense, merely shooting as a stand alone skill.

For the record, I can't take RR, am not an elite athlete and LeBron is a vastly superior shooter now. My only argument was that early in his career he had not developed a good mid range pull up jumper which was my forte when I played in college. So I'm well above average ( in top .01%) at shooting mid range jumpers, while LeBron was not. With the time he has spent on it (being a good student of the game and seeing it as something he needed to improve on), he has improved throughout his career drastically and I'm certain he is a better shooter than I.

Apparently this kind of idea intimidates Cliff and a few others. For that I apologize.

Thanks for those guys taking up my cause on the shooting thing. I never argued about shooting vs a defense, merely shooting as a stand alone skill.

For the record, I can't take RR, am not an elite athlete and LeBron is a vastly superior shooter now. My only argument was that early in his career he had not developed a good mid range pull up jumper which was my forte when I played in college. So I'm well above average ( in top .01%) at shooting mid range jumpers, while LeBron was not. With the time he has spent on it (being a good student of the game and seeing it as something he needed to improve on), he has improved throughout his career drastically and I'm certain he is a better shooter than I.

Apparently this kind of idea intimidates Cliff and a few others. For that I apologize.
Where did you go to college?

You should have skipped college and gone straight to the NBA.

EYLive said:
Gadabout said:
fantasycurse42 said:
It's in Rousey's best interest to keep dodging it.
She's not dodging a bantamweight fight.
How many times in this thread have people stated that skill is much more important than size, speed or strength? So, why would a few pounds matter?

Mile High said:
fantasycurse42 said:

Edit:

Carano is prettier and she's only been able to get 2 decent roles so far. This is hardly a huge market.

EYLive said:
Gadabout said:
fantasycurse42 said:
How many times in this thread have people stated that skill is much more important than size, speed or strength? So, why would a few pounds matter?
Why can't Cyborg make weight? If she can do one simple thing this matchup is no longer hypothetical.

EYLive said:
Gadabout said:
fantasycurse42 said:
funny thing is she could make 135 and then literally gain 10 lbs before the fight

EYLive said:
Gadabout said:
fantasycurse42 said:
believe she has said many times it's a matter of principle. all cyborg has to do is make the weight.

and I voted Yes, she would beat the living crap out of me.

I'd love to see the math on this one.

That being said, a mid-range jumper is about the dumbest option in all of sports. If it was important, don't you think James would have been good at it a long time ago? And now, by your own admission, he's better than you at a worthless skill.

At what point is a dude big enough that her skills aren't sufficient to overcome the size differential? A foot taller and 100lbs heavier? 200lbs heavier? NFL center?

Ants are pound for pound way stronger than me and can lift 20x their own body weight but even a Ju-jitsu ant wouldn't last 4 seconds with me

Whatcha got?

I can only speculate how many jumpers Lebron takes a year between practice and games. For the sake of this argument, we can call it 50 a day = 18,250. I'm fairly confident while standing around on court shooting uncontested jumpers he could easily sink 10 3's in a row. He prob averages somewhere between 50-75% from 3 uncontested while practicing (probably on the higher end of the range)... I doubt many people who aren't top talents could do that.
50/day is obscenely low. Probably closer to 500.

When I coached HS in the states kids would shoot 500/session in the off season.

Good point. Lebron definitely can't make 20/25 shots in a game like "around the world".
Didn't say he couldn't. Didn't say they would beat him said they could. Just said there's high school girls who i know who shot around 80% fairly consistency in around the world. If you can do that,then you have a chance of beating anyone even LeBron James.
Being a better shooter than LBJ and being able to beat him because of variance are two entirely different statements.

And I highly doubt you know many girls who consistently bang 80% from the arc. I coached against some of the best in the country (NorCal-SMS, SHC, AM) and they weren't close to 80%.

I'd last longer with Mayweather.
NTTAWWT, how so?

In the time it takes Rousey to get you to the ground, Mayweather would have peppered your pumpkin a dozen times.
Mayweather is less aggressive than Rousey, more of a counter puncher. I think I actually have a chance if I can get the fight to the ground and I can pick my spots against Floyd. Rousey, I am probably not beating her on the ground and she is probably going to bring the fight to me anyway.

I can only speculate how many jumpers Lebron takes a year between practice and games. For the sake of this argument, we can call it 50 a day = 18,250. I'm fairly confident while standing around on court shooting uncontested jumpers he could easily sink 10 3's in a row. He prob averages somewhere between 50-75% from 3 uncontested while practicing (probably on the higher end of the range)... I doubt many people who aren't top talents could do that.

I remember reading about Ray Allen's practice habits. At the end of practice he wouldn't leave the floor until he hit 50 three pointers. Who knows how many shots he'd already knocked down that day, that was just his end of practice routine.

At what point is a dude big enough that her skills aren't sufficient to overcome the size differential? A foot taller and 100lbs heavier? 200lbs heavier? NFL center?

Ants are pound for pound way stronger than me and can lift 20x their own body weight but even a Ju-jitsu ant wouldn't last 4 seconds with me

Whatcha got?
See pages 1-14

I remember reading about Ray Allen's practice habits. At the end of practice he wouldn't leave the floor until he hit 50 three pointers. Who knows how many shots he'd already knocked down that day, that was just his end of practice routine.
Yeah. With "The Gun" we would put 4 kids on for an hour and they would get 500 each. One on each end of court number 2 while the others played/did drills on the main court. Time and court scarcity made it impossible during the season.

Does anyone's opinion change if instead of an MMA style fight, you fight her with no rules?

Does anyone's opinion change if instead of an MMA style fight, you fight her with no rules?
Lets break down some of the rules that would no longer be in play:

groin shots legal: Advantage to the female

no break between rounds: advantage to the professionally trained athlete

Headbutts legal: possibly an advantage to the guy

No gloves: probably no advantage either way

Intentionally placing a finger into any orifice, or into any cut or laceration of an opponent: big advantage to the guy :)

Small joint manipulation: my guess is that the judo/submission fighter would have a bigger advantage here

Whatcha got?
At what point in basketball does height trump skill? Could a 7' guy who has never picked up a basketball before beat, say, Muggsey Boughes in a 1-on-1?

Users who are viewing this thread