What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Working From Home (1 Viewer)

Johnny Bing

Footballguy
I have job opportunity to do what i do currently, same job description, same pay, and same responsibilities. Only difference is I'd be working from home instead of an office environment.

The only down fall that I see is the social aspect. I'd be talking to people on the phones or email, but curious how others who work from home handle the no social aspect working from home? Do you regret not working in an office environment or sitting in your boxers eating fruit loops working the only way to go?

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been working at home for the last 13 years. It has huge upside but also is something I regret doing for so long.

Work from home now. Love it. No commute, No commute, no commute, shorts & Tshirt, no office crap, get out daily at lunch for hike/jog, eat cleaner.No amount of $$ would get me FT in office environment again.

Probably not for everyone. I don't have any family (wife/kids). Still get the same work done by phone/email. No question more productive and happier now.

Let me see.

Positives:

1. Work schedule, but that's more a factor of my job and not work at home. There are some people who work from home and have a very rigid schedule. I, on the other hand, have pretty good flexibility (more on that later)

2. Dress Code. Shorts and a T-shirt most days.

3. Here for the kids. Never missed things while the kids were growing up, except rare occasions when I traveled.

Negatives:

1. Have never met the overwhelming (95%+) majority of my co-workers. Only vaguely aware of what they look like even.

2. Similar to 2, miss the social aspects. No lunches with co-workers in 13 years (except the occasional business travel)

3. Home TOO MUCH sometimes. I don't let my wife take enough responsibility around the house since I am here all day.

4. My wife takes it for granted (related to #3). She doesn't always appreciate how much I do here working full time and doing a good job managing the household.

5. Work Schedule. It's hard to make yourself be "unavailable" for work even though your office is steps away.

There's other stuff, but these are some thing I could come up with quickly.

I used to do it FT and I am not that person. I need to be somewhere else and interact. A day or two a week is one thing, but FT is not doable for me in the long run.

I worked from home for a while and there were a lot of times where it felt like I never left the office. There are positives, but it depends on the job. As a management consultant, you can essentially work every waking moment and that sucks when the office takes over your house.

I like, I can WFH whenever I want. Usually do once or so a week. Biggest issue is that my wife uses it as an excuse for help with stuff like changing diapers, taking out trash, empty dishwasher etc. She doesn't see it as too big of a deal to step away from the laptop for 10-15 minutes every hour. I think I'd like it more if I could lock the door to my office. I do like taking my lunch break to eat with my wife and kids though.

I WFH today, walked down to the park with the kids for lunch, was awesome. Closed my laptop around 4 and was already home, instead of getting home around 5:30.

I have job opportunity to do what i do currently, same job description, same pay, and same responsibilities. Only difference is I'd be working from home instead of an office environment.

The only down fall that I see is the social aspect. I'd be talking to people on the phones or email, but curious how others who work from home handle the no social aspect working from home? Do you regret not working in an office environment or sitting in your boxers eating fruit loops working the only way to go?
No social aspect? That's the biggest positive part of working from home!

I did it for two years. Don't want to do it again. I did not like not interacting with people in an office socially. I would miss that too much if I had to do it again.

It can be awesome in small doses. I am able to so it a day to two a week. 3 days in a row and I get stir crazy.
This seems the way to go.

I couldn't even study at home, highly doubt I could work from home unless it was a traveling job and home is more of a base of operations than the 40+ hours.

It can be awesome in small doses. I am able to so it a day to two a week. 3 days in a row and I get stir crazy.
I'm trying a modified schedule because the kids start prek this year.

Logging in early.

Drop kids by 9.

Head in to work.

Stay till 2:30-3.

Pick them up by 4.

Log back in when we get home.

It's mainly so I can be physically present for meetings but have the flexibility.

No social aspect? That's the biggest positive part of working from home!
I barely have a social aspect now.

Work from home now. Love it. No commute, No commute, no commute, shorts & Tshirt, no office crap, get out daily at lunch for hike/jog, eat cleaner.No amount of $$ would get me FT in office environment again.

Probably not for everyone. I don't have any family (wife/kids). Still get the same work done by phone/email. No question more productive and happier now.
:goodposting:

This x 1,000,000....been doing it for about 15 years.

I DO have a family but they are gone during the day while I am working. Them coming home is actually a good thing because it signals the end of my work day. When they get home I log off and am done. I don't get anything done in the office. We just end up sitting around and chatting. One has to be pretty disciplined to avoid "distractions" at home, but the same is true in the office.

I like, I can WFH whenever I want. Usually do once or so a week. Biggest issue is that my wife uses it as an excuse for help with stuff like changing diapers, taking out trash, empty dishwasher etc. She doesn't see it as too big of a deal to step away from the laptop for 10-15 minutes every hour. I think I'd like it more if I could lock the door to my office. I do like taking my lunch break to eat with my wife and kids though.

I WFH today, walked down to the park with the kids for lunch, was awesome. Closed my laptop around 4 and was already home, instead of getting home around 5:30.
This can be problematic if one doesn't set the rules at the beginning. Should the kids be at home while I am working, they know not to bother me and my wife the same. They really have to be on board with it, or it becomes difficult for the stuff you suggest.

This can be problematic if one doesn't set the rules at the beginning. Should the kids be at home while I am working, they know not to bother me and my wife the same. They really have to be on board with it, or it becomes difficult for the stuff you suggest.
No question. I always think of this when working from home: http://youtu.be/NIqq9GusbSQ

I DO have a family but they are gone during the day while I am working. Them coming home is actually a good thing because it signals the end of my work day. When they get home I log off and am done. I don't get anything done in the office. We just end up sitting around and chatting. One has to be pretty disciplined to avoid "distractions" at home, but the same is true in the office.
Not if you work with appraisers.

I don't know what this means....I'll take your word for it :thumbup:

I'm possibly going to start working from home later this year, doing mostly the same stuff I do now at the office. With a VPN I can do about everything I do at the office except for attending meetings, which I hate anyway.

My kids are grown/gone and my wife has her own things going on. I would love to not have to get up early and commute to an office where there isn't much social interaction to begin with. Once a week or so I like to leave work around 2:45 to go play golf. But I have to work it around other people. WFH I could go any day I want.

I've worked in an office my whole adult life. I can honestly say that I would NOT miss it at this point in my life.

I'm possibly going to start working from home later this year, doing mostly the same stuff I do now at the office. With a VPN I can do about everything I do at the office except for attending meetings, which I hate anyway.

My kids are grown/gone and my wife has her own things going on. I would love to not have to get up early and commute to an office where there isn't much social interaction to begin with. Once a week or so I like to leave work around 2:45 to go play golf. But I have to work it around other people. WFH I could go any day I want.

I've worked in an office my whole adult life. I can honestly say that I would NOT miss it at this point in my life.
Didn't you just get fired/quit the bored?

Didn't you just get fired/quit the bored?
That was jayrod, ace. Apparently, he is a hot mess.

Been working from home for myself for the last 13 years or so. A few observations:

- It can get very isolating. Yea, to many of you, this sounds great, but after awhile, it can get stifling. I meet with another work at home friend for lunch once a week, and I have my company PO box at the mall post office, simply so I'm forced to get out and see people.

- You need discipline. Maybe I'm overstating this a bit because I am the guy who makes the work appear as well. I assume you guys w/ jobs have projects and deadlines and some kind of "ok, what have you done this week" check that keeps you on track. But even if you do, being "home" full time can definitely sap your productivity. I know lots of people say "I'm more productive at home", but is that full time, for a year? Or is it your one or two days a week at home? Huge difference.

- I don't care how understanding your spouse is, there is going to be a little "well, you're home anyway, can't you do xyz?"

Those are the downsides. The upsides are tremendous, though.

No commute can add hours to your day

Wear what you want

Any kind of music you want

"NSFW" has no meaning to you

Make your office the way you want it

Take a break when you wish

better (and cheaper) food

Personally, I would only work at home if I was doing it for myself. I would not want any company "rules" or hours of availability invading my home. But that's just me and my addiction to being my own boss. Plus, if I had a job w/ a two hour commute, and was offered the chance to work at home with the caveat that I'm available 9-5, maybe I think differently on this.

I absolutely friggin' LOVE it.

When in Boston I used to work from home only on Fridays and I looked forward to that day every week.

Last June we moved to Argentina and I've been working at my home office since then. I thank the heavens above every day I can wake up at a leisurely pace, not have to commute to work and not have to make small talk with the folks at work. I can work when I want, do chores around the house (which gives us more time to do whatever we want on weekends) and basically work at my own pace.

I can take breaks whenever I want, tend to the garden, take a walk and exercise whenever I feel like it. I can choose to hammer away at work for an entire day to free up other days in the week. I've been able to travel to Europe and Puerto Rico on multiple occasions with my laptop without the people I work for even noticing I've left my desk at home. I don't have to get vacations approved. I just go when I feel like it. Although, as a freelancer I do tend to work during vacations as I'm always worried that if I declare I'm not available my client will turn to someone else thus making me lose business. But it's not really that big of a deal. I can just find spots within the vacation (i.e. a rainy day, or at night) when I can just bang out my work. Then I usually have a few days before I get feedback on that work.

I guess I'm somewhat of an introvert so not having, what I feel, are empty interactions with folks at work is a plus and makes me feel I can fill my hours with more meaningful things and interactions. I work much better independently anyway and am more efficient because I don't want to get sloppy and create more work for myself. It's really a win-win for everyone.

I used to commute approximately an hour to and from work. So that's 10 hours a week I'm saving for myself. 40 hours a month, approximately 400 hours a year if you discount holidays, vacations, etc. Also figure in not having to go to the gym after work mixed with the household things that would have had to have been done at nights or on the weekends, that's probably more than two hundred additional hours I save. So we're talking simply not commuting into work gives me about a month more time for myself every year.

Once I started getting older I started feeling like having to commute to work and to be trapped in an office is not a natural way to live. Having been away from that for more than a year I can tell you I was correct. It almost feels like I'm semi-retired now even though I do have a consistent stream of work coming in.

The thought of having to go back to the old routine makes me sick to my stomach. Who knows? Maybe it will be necessary some day. But I'll do everything in my power to avoid it. Like I alluded to before, it just seems like such a more nature way to live life.

I'm always surprised when I hear people don't like working from home but I respect it. Everyone is different. But for people who don't crave the social aspects of going into the office I think it's a God-send.

Been working from home for myself for the last 13 years or so. A few observations:

- It can get very isolating. Yea, to many of you, this sounds great, but after awhile, it can get stifling. I meet with another work at home friend for lunch once a week, and I have my company PO box at the mall post office, simply so I'm forced to get out and see people.

- You need discipline. Maybe I'm overstating this a bit because I am the guy who makes the work appear as well. I assume you guys w/ jobs have projects and deadlines and some kind of "ok, what have you done this week" check that keeps you on track. But even if you do, being "home" full time can definitely sap your productivity. I know lots of people say "I'm more productive at home", but is that full time, for a year? Or is it your one or two days a week at home? Huge difference.

- I don't care how understanding your spouse is, there is going to be a little "well, you're home anyway, can't you do xyz?"

Wear what you want

Personally, I would only work at home if I was doing it for myself. I would not want any company "rules" or hours of availability invading my home. But that's just me and my addiction to being my own boss. Plus, if I had a job w/ a two hour commute, and was offered the chance to work at home with the caveat that I'm available 9-5, maybe I think differently on this.
Pretty good summary...

I don't find the quiet stifling. It has given me much more productivity. Once a week or so, I'll go work at Panera or Starbucks for half a day just to get out.

I worked in an office for 2 years (home for 9 years)

I would get far less done in the office. Full disclosure: I'm a complete introvert. With birthday celebrations in the break room, people coming by to chat it up about last nights football game or a TV show. Having to make small talk with everyone (I'm not very good at this anyway, admittedly) is a time suck. The constant barrage of people coming to your door to talk was very distracting for me. Even if it started out as business, I'd always end up listening to some story my boss wanted to tell me from his younger days as a salesman or about his kids (not to mention having to laugh at all his jokes). Not only that, but psychologically, because I was in an office and watching the clock until I could get home and relax, I'd be way more prone to spending time on the internet reading articles and researching fantasy sports.

Working from home cuts all that out for me. And again, making your office very comfortable helps with this...I leave my office to make a quick lunch and take a walk for an hour and that's really it.

Think of an entire office full of people with Aspergers. I've been there nearly 3 months - people rarely talk to each other and nobody goes out to lunch with anyone. Luckily there's one guy who likes football, but otherwise it's not much different than working at home.

Think of an entire office full of people with Aspergers. I've been there nearly 3 months - people rarely talk to each other and nobody goes out to lunch with anyone. Luckily there's one guy who likes football, but otherwise it's not much different than working at home.
That doesn't seem like much fun :mellow:

Pros and cons of course. If your job has promotement opportunity, I think people underestimate the social aspect involved in getting promoted.

That doesn't seem like much fun :mellow:
On the other hand, I don't really have a boss and do what I want when I want.

9 years working from home here.

Love every minute of it.

The trick for me was making my office as awesome and comfortable as possible. Nice desk, nice chair, dual monitors, personal computer on the other side of my desk, wall mounted tv to watch sports when I want.

Screw being social, that's what we have fbgs for, right?
I've been working at home about that long too now. Overall, I prefer it. It can be hard sometimes because you get stir crazy and have lots of other options to not work. And because I work for myself, I'm really not getting paid unless I'm actually working, so that can suck. But I'd never go back to an office environment. Couldn't stand commuting and can't stand people.

This will be what I have to focus on. My current problem isn't discipline to get things done, it is walking away from work. My wife has commented many times to cut back on work.

Yes, I agree there are plenty more distractions at work then at home being alone in my opinion. I have more people stopping in my office now just to talk about the weekend, did you hear what Bill did yesterday, why is Suzy so lazy, etc. I wouldn't miss that part of it at all.

Wear what you want

Pretty good summary...

I don't find the quiet stifling. It has given me much more productivity. Once a week or so, I'll go work at Panera or Starbucks for half a day just to get out.

I worked in an office for 2 years (home for 9 years)

I would get far less done in the office. Full disclosure: I'm a complete introvert. With birthday celebrations in the break room, people coming by to chat it up about last nights football game or a TV show. Having to make small talk with everyone (I'm not very good at this anyway, admittedly) is a time suck. The constant barrage of people coming to your door to talk was very distracting for me. Even if it started out as business, I'd always end up listening to some story my boss wanted to tell me from his younger days as a salesman or about his kids (not to mention having to laugh at all his jokes). Not only that, but psychologically, because I was in an office and watching the clock until I could get home and relax, I'd be way more prone to spending time on the internet reading articles and researching fantasy sports.

Working from home cuts all that out for me. And again, making your office very comfortable helps with this...I leave my office to make a quick lunch and take a walk for an hour and that's really it.
Appreciate the input guys. This sums up a lot of the reasons I want to get out and helps with things to be aware of working from home.

This will be what I have to focus on. My current problem isn't discipline to get things done, it is walking away from work. My wife has commented many times to cut back on work.

Yes, I agree there are plenty more distractions at work then at home being alone in my opinion. I have more people stopping in my office now just to talk about the weekend, did you hear what Bill did yesterday, why is Suzy so lazy, etc. I wouldn't miss that part of it at all.
By far the hardest thing I had to learn. Went through it after I got married, then again when I had kids.

I WFH 2 days a week. For 2.5 years it was 3 days a week. I much preferred the 3 days from home. I have a lot going on outside of work so I really didn't miss any of the social interactions / stir crazy things some of you mention.

Did it for five + years. Have been back in an office environment for just over a month now....and I hate the politics already.

Miss working from home, even with the little things that are "bad" that come with it(being the dog's babysitter, etc) and would do it again in a heartbeat. Not knowing what most of my co-workers even look like? Heaven. I'd much rather be the guy who they interact with via email/phone who "just gets stuff done" since I'm not being bothered than having the "Hey, man. How's it going? Sooo....in this morning's scrum we talked about the new development. Have you gotten started on that yet? You don't even know about that? Yeeeeah.....we should schedule something for this afternoon" crap happening every week with no follow up, then getting told by a second entity not to do anything even if there had been. High school bull#### at it's finest.

Send me a @#$#@$ing email outlining tasks/concerns/deadlines, I'll send you back one with expectations on deliverables, counter concerns, and dates you can expect things completed then get the hell out of my way you unorganized, lazy douches.

Been working from home for 7 years now. I LOVE it, but I hate my job so much that I'm finally coming to grips with moving on. WFH is so awesome I've made a lot of excuses for myself to stay here over the past few years. But enough is enough. :hot:

One thing I didn't see mentioned yet - make sure you have a separate office in your house. Setting up a laptop at the dining room table or (god forbid) in the living room is just a recipe for a disaster.

I don't miss the office aspect at all. On the rare times I have to go in for a laptop refresh or a town hall :yucky:

I've worked from home for 10+ years and I love it. I'm sitting here in my pajamas with bed head, and most of my human contact this week will be with you imbeciles. Losing 90% of my social skills is a small price to pay for never having to sit in rush hour traffic, deal with jackasses at work, etc.

I do not like working from home. I occasionally do it, but I find it difficult to focus. Not to mention my job relies on personal interaction often. I barely stay focused and on task at work (see right now, I'm posting on a message board). When I'm home it is VERY easy for me to get distracted because I need to go do something around the house or Die Hard came on and I need to see if that is the best Bruce Willis movie or not.

Plus I work with a good team here. We get along well and I like the social interaction.

ETA..

My commute is only 20 minutes each way and does not involve congested traffic. So there is that benefit. If I had to drive downtown all the time and had to deal with rush hour traffic, I might feel differently.

I'll this your this. Zero negatives from me. I get to travel a bit to get the interaction fix. I've also been able to grow some ridiculous beards, staches and goatees for kicks that I would have never tried going to the office every day.

Distractions are a good thing imo. The house is immaculate inside and out because I'm here all day. I get to watch all my shows that my wife doesn't like, swim in the pool, play with the dog, jack off, etc.

I WFH quite a bit. I'm on the road a decent amount (80-100) nights/year. When I'm not on the road I WFH around half the time.

Agree with others that WFH removes all the office BS. I also get a little stir crazy at home tho. I usually have to get out at lunch time. Run an errand, walk the dog, something.

I'm a pretty social person but with IM and phone calls I don't miss being in the office at all.

I WFH quite a bit. I'm on the road a decent amount (80-100) nights/year. When I'm not on the road I WFH around half the time.

Agree with others that WFH removes all the office BS. I also get a little stir crazy at home tho. I usually have to get out at lunch time. Run an errand, walk the dog, something.

I'm a pretty social person but with IM and phone calls I don't miss being in the office at all.
This is close to my gig. I'll travel for work 2-3 days per week (some overnight) and 2-3 days at home. I try to do 1-2 days per month in the office so that I'm not completely forgotten about if there are extra baseball/football tickets.

I did a "half time" WFH gig back in 2000ish. Worked at home (laptop/dining room table) for a week, then would spend the next week at my office up in NorCal. Would fly up Sunday night, return Friday afternoonish. That was a pretty nice gig, but I'd find myself distracted a whole lot. As others have mentioned, setting up a dedicated space for your work is completely essential. A buddy of mine who did WFH for several years said he'd have to get up in the morning, shower, drive/walk to a nearby coffee shop and come back home with a muffin/coffee every morning to jump-start his day. Otherwise he'd just laze around for most of the morning and not get much done all day at all. I never employed that, but found myself distracted a lot, probably due to not having a true "home office" setup... but mainly due to not having the discipline/focus.

I then had a 100% WFH environment (with a good bit of travel). Had a better office set up and while I did get a lot of work done, I was once again easily distracted and could have been doing things to grow my business (was a consultant at the time) rather than watching TV or just whatever I wanted.

As for the social component, I missed it some of the time. I'm back in an office environment now. Having to shave, dress well, and "generally" be around from 9-5 every weekday does grind a bit. It would suck more if I had a long commute (about 20 minutes each way, lets me listen to some sports talk radio).

I get to travel a bit for this job, which breaks up the monotony of the office. Would I want a part-time WFH thing? I think it'd be good. No more than 1-2 days a week though. Maybe a couple half days. 2 kids under 5 and the wife at home (although with her going back to school it could actually be a good thing).

I may consider it, if at all possible.

But yeah, if you're switching to full-time WFH, make sure you set daily goals, and have yourself a solid office setup. Good luck!

After I was laid off the last time the company moved to a work from home stance for those who were left. The young lady who worked closely with me on marketing, sales, etc and I still go to lunch every couple of weeks. I think she really likes getting out of the house and just socializing for a bit. I love working from home and did it off and on for years. Doesn't take much for me to have all the in person interaction I need with people though.

Users who are viewing this thread