What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Weekend in Rome...suggestions appreciated (1 Viewer)

Short Corner

Footballguy
Land Friday 2ish. All day Sat and Sun in typo he city. Staying somewhere between the Coliseum and the Vatican. I know we can't see everything. Just trying to come up with an efficient itinerary.

Thanks

I just came back from there this past week -- if you've only got a couple/few days some of what would make the experience best is where specifically you'll be staying -- if you've already booked hotels, that won't help but if you have yet to get them I can PM hotel locations.

Examples:

(1) one hotel was directly beside the Vatican and literally 20 yards from where the tour operators pick you up -- that convenience is hard to beat if you're short on time.

(2) the other hotel I stayed at was 5-minutes walk from an area of the city known for a kajillion restaurants, cafes, and some typical Rome bars (good area though, not thuggish).

Last edited by a moderator:
Friday after you land you could probably walk around by the Trevi Fountain, Piazza Navona, and Pantheon -- they are probably somewhat near your hotel, based on your description.

Coliseum and Forum are near each other, and you can spend a day in that area.

Vatican City, the other day.

Last edited by a moderator:
Friday after you land you could probably walk around by the Trevi Fountain, Piazza Navona, and Pantheon -- they are probably somewhat near your hotel, based on your description.

Pretty much. Day 1 start at the and head to the Coliseum, Forum, Trevi Fountain, Pantheon. Day 2 just go to the Vatican.

The Vatican is less than a whole day. You can do that, plus say the Castel de angelo and Pantheon and another in a day and still not be too packed. Those are all close to each other. Coliseum and Palatine Hill and Forum area is also less than a day. You can get most everything done in 3 days if planned well.

The Collesium is the most awesome thing I've ever seen. Book a private tour in advance so you don't have to wait in a big line. It truly is incredible to see. If you go to Rome and don't go inside that place you will regret it forever.

Roma pass is well worth it for the freebies and metro. Got us into the Coliseum in 30 seconds vs waiting in 30 min line, too.

Pretty much. Day 1 start at the and head to the Coliseum, Forum, Trevi Fountain, Pantheon. Day 2 just go to the Vatican.
Agree with this...

2 days is not enough time to accomplish much, IMO. to run around Rome on an August weekend is not my cup of tea. that said, I would dedicate Sunday to see the pope do the angelus at 12p from his apartment and spend the day at the Vatican museums, hitting the Sistine chapel for sure. seeing the pope is something outside the box. maybe hit the basilica dome. the necropolis is awesome, but I don't think you have time to get tix. I would grab a coffee and walk v vittorio Emanuel II to the castle, then hit the square for the pope. I think the colosseum and forum would not be my use of time in the heat on Saturday. rather, I would hit the Spanish steps, the trevi fountain and the pantheon, maybe sneak in the typewriter and mussolini's balcony. I would grab dinner in trastevere and walk the Jewish ghetto one evening. cacio e pepe for lunch. I could go on.......

Is the Trevi Fountain finished? It seems like they were still a ways from completing its restoration when we were there a year ago.

Staying at this hotel (light blue pin in the middle about 500 m from the Borghese Museum) so not quite between the Vatican and the Colosseum.

Thanks for the tips so far.

Anyone think the "Caesar shuffle" is doable when we land Friday?

Colosseum → Forum → Capitoline Hill → Pantheon → San Clemente

Or is that too much. Probably going to try and hit the Vatican Saturday.

kutta said:
The Collesium is the most awesome thing I've ever seen. Book a private tour in advance so you don't have to wait in a big line. It truly is incredible to see. If you go to Rome and don't go inside that place you will regret it forever.
I didn't do a private tour so I won't say whether you should/shouldn't do it, but if you are one to say that a guided tour isn't your thing....definitely book TICKETS in advance.

kutta said:
I didn't do a private tour so I won't say whether you should/shouldn't do it, but if you are one to say that a guided tour isn't your thing....definitely book TICKETS in advance.
Not needed if you get the Roma Pass, however. The Roma Pass line was literally walk on up and walk in, while everyone else waited in these long lines. Saves a ton of time and some cash. Gives you, I believe, 2 "attractions" for free, discounts at others and free metro. Free metro is :moneybag: to go back and forth between places.

kutta said:
Will the RomaPass work for this. Not sure how that works, if it includes a guided tour or just the entrance.

After researching more will try and book the Borghese on Friday afternoon when we arrive then stroll around in the evening.

Sat - Vatican City

Sun - Caesar shuffle with another city stroll in the evening

Flying home at 6am Mon.

All in pencil at this point except the Vatican. Sat is the only day available. Will likely have a few two hour windows open.

Any audio tour suggestions? Downloaded Rick Steves so far.
We only did Audio at the Borghese and really enjoyed that. We rented the one provided. Keep in mind there, though, you have to hustle. No way you can get through all of the audio tour in the 2 hours allotted. Well worth while, though. Take your time in that park, too. We rented one of those pedal golf carts and had a great time just riding around.

kutta said:
Will the RomaPass work for this. Not sure how that works, if it includes a guided tour or just the entrance.

After researching more will try and book the Borghese on Friday afternoon when we arrive then stroll around in the evening.

Sat - Vatican City

Sun - Caesar shuffle with another city stroll in the evening

Flying home at 6am Mon.

All in pencil at this point except the Vatican. Sat is the only day available. Will likely have a few two hour windows open.
Not sure about guided, we just did entrance and it was plenty. I imagine with an audio there it would be fantastic.

Any plans to hit Pompeii at some point? That was one of our favorite places between Florence, Rome and the Amalfi Coast, but it is not like we hated any of it. Just getting a car and visiting the Wall Towns in Tuscany such as Volterra was awesome. The stress of avoiding the no drive zones and navigating Florence in car was my worst part of the trip. :hot: :rant: :bag:

Mad Cow said:
Is the Trevi Fountain finished? It seems like they were still a ways from completing its restoration when we were there a year ago.
We were there in June and it was still under construction. We were very disappointed. It looks like it will be an awesome spectacle when complete.

Mad Cow said:
We were there in June and it was still under construction. We were very disappointed. It looks like it will be an awesome spectacle when complete.
Yeah, nothing like waiting in line to walk over where the water usually is with signs everywhere saying NO STOPPING and have the police have to jump in every 30 seconds to tell people to keep moving. :rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread