What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official 12th pick strategy (re-draft) in 12 team (1 Viewer)

VikingFrog

Footballguy
Didn't see a thread of this after a few searches. Figured it's worth a discussion.

Non PPR vs. PPR, scoring, lineups, etc. will probably change things a little bit, but I still think you will likely be looking at your pick of two top talents.

WR/WR feels really good right here assuming two guys fall, and seems like the obvious choice. In 6 Pt passing leagues, you may even see some top talent fall to you and be able to do really well with RB/WR. If Gronk falls it's hard not to take him, but then you have to decide if you want to pair him with RB or WR. Round 3/4 will really make or break this team. If you go WR/WR and can scoop up some decent RBs at the 3/4 turn you will likely be in great shape with late round QBs able to perform and a plethora of middle of the pack TEs.

Anyone had much luck at this spot? Would love to see how your draft turned out or what your strategy is and see some discussion.

I have this spot in my 12 team standard redraft local this Friday. Based on nothing very scientific, I am likely to either go WR/WR or Gronk/WR unless someone unexpected like Lynch falls and there's pretty much no chance of that. I like Julio a lot this year and based on assumed availability (my league tends to be RB and QB heavy in the first round), will take him plus ODB, Dez or DT (assuming Brown is gone of course). Other option is Gronk+Julio/Dez/ODB but when i've mocked like that, i've ended up not liking my RB's OR my WR's as opposed to just being a bit disappointed in my RB's but being able to live with it based on the TE advantage.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have this spot in my 12 team standard redraft local this Friday. Based on nothing very scientific, I am likely to either go WR/WR or Gronk/WR unless someone unexpected like Lynch falls and there's pretty much no chance of that. I like Julio a lot this year and based on assumed availability (my league tends to be RB and QB heavy in the first round), will take him plus ODB, Dez or DT (assuming Brown is gone of course). Other option is Gronk+Julio/Dez/ODB but when i've mocked like that, i've ended up not liking my RB's OR my WR's as opposed to just being a bit disappointed in my RB's but being able to live with it based on the TE advantage.
I absolutely love Gronk, but every time I mock him to my team, I don't love my team. I'm always left with some pretty big perceived weakness at RB or WR. Almost makes me hope that someone takes him as I'd rather draft Dez/Julio back to back or something close to that and follow it up with RB/RB or whatever falls to me in the 3/4 turn.

I'm drafting 12th in a standard league in which we have to start 3 RB and 3 WR/TE. This may be the first year I've ever gone WR/WR to start my draft. Unless Lynch or CJ falls to me which I doubt. In no circumstance am I taking Forte this year. I have considered J. Hill at #13 but it's a little too early for my liking. I have to pray that there isn't garbage left at RB at the 3/4 turn.

With Jordy out, this puts an even higher premium on stud WR IMO.

12 team PPR, start QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, No flex. 6 pts per TD pass. Here's my draft plan as of now, after countless mocks:

1/2 - Most likely WR/WR, unless Lynch falls. Will consider Forte if he falls, but I'm less likely to pull the trigger on him passing on WR/WR.

3/4 - Assuming WR/WR start, at least 1 RB here. Hoping for Latavius (ADP keeps rising though), and like Ingram and Ellington as well. Depending on WR talent here, may go 2 RBs, or RB/WR. I personally like Andre Johnson, Landry, Edelman, Tate here. If I go RB/WR in the 1st/2nd, likely going WR-WR here.

5/6 - Roethlisberger is my target if he makes it (unlikely), otherwise waiting a while on QB. I've scored Kelce or Olsen here a couple times and like that. Otherwise best available RB/WR to fill out my team. Sometimes see Hyde/Martin/Jennings/Foster and Allen Robinson/Maclin/Desean/Bryant here.

So with that in mind, my best-case start:

1.12 - WR Demaryius Thomas

2.01 - WR Calvin Johnson

3.12 - RB Latavius Murray

4.01 - WR Andre Johnson

5.12 - QB Ben Roethlisberger

6.01 - RB Carlos Hyde

or if I go RB

1.12 - RB Matt Forte

2.01 - WR Calvin Johnson

3.12 - WR Andre Johnson

4.01 - WR Jarvis Landry

5.12 - QB Ben Roethlisberger

6.01 - RB Doug Martin

Or something like that. And I'm happy with that start. I need to decide which I'm happier with. I think that first round RB might be the way to go.

I just had my 12 team standard league redraft draft last night. It's 6pt passing touchdowns. Our lineup requirements are: 1 qb, 2 rb, 2 wr, 1 te, 1 flex (te, wr, rb), def, kicker. There are a couple homers in the league--and our drafts tend to be very unpredictable--and I ended up with the 12th pick. I went WR/WR---and although I moderately like my team. I ended up with an elite wr corps, my rb's are defintely below league average, my qb's are below league average--and my te is terrible (this is mainly because I tried to make up for the lack of an elite rb by going for depth at rb--and waited too long for TE). If one or two of my rbs pan out--I should be fine--but there is risk going wr/wr. I'd post my roster here--but I honestly don't want to risk getting persecuted saying that this is not the assistants coach forum.

I just had my 12 team standard league redraft draft last night. It's 6pt passing touchdowns. Our lineup requirements are: 1 qb, 2 rb, 2 wr, 1 te, 1 flex (te, wr, rb), def, kicker. There are a couple homers in the league--and our drafts tend to be very unpredictable--and I ended up with the 12th pick. I went WR/WR---and although I moderately like my team. I ended up with an elite wr corps, my rb's are defintely below league average, my qb's are below league average--and my te is terrible (this is mainly because I tried to make up for the lack of an elite rb by going for depth at rb--and waited too long for TE). If one or two of my rbs pan out--I should be fine--but there is risk going wr/wr. I'd post my roster here--but I honestly don't want to risk getting persecuted saying that this is not the assistants coach forum.
I play in a handful of standard scoring leagues with 6pt TDs, and I don't think I've ever started out going WR/WR, no matter what draft position I drew.

Especially in leagues that allow you to start 3 RBs, I'd be putting myself so far behind the 8-ball there that I've always thought it would be almost impossible to dig out without crippling myself at both QB and TE - which is apparently just what happened.

Too early for Luck at the #13 pick? Gronk and Luck gets you two very likely at the top tier in their perspective positions. Yes, a tad diminished at RB / WR, but the difference between Sanders, Hopkins, Matthews and the top WR's isn't too great. Likewise Murray, Randle, Ellington numbers seem sufficient.

What about Luck?

Too early for Luck at the #13 pick? Gronk and Luck gets you two very likely at the top tier in their perspective positions. Yes, a tad diminished at RB / WR, but the difference between Sanders, Hopkins, Matthews and the top WR's isn't too great. Likewise Murray, Randle, Ellington numbers seem sufficient.

What about Luck?
In my 6pt passing TD league, he will be long gone. But it would be an interesting duo.

It's a discussion on the 12 spot. I'd love to see how your squad ended up going WR-WR. Post it.

Picking 11 in one league and 12 in another. Don't think I will be doing WR/WR in either.

Hoping someone falls to me (CJ or Lynch), but I am prepared to go to another RB (Forte?, Hill, Forsett, Murray are all likley candidates) and go RB/WR. it is a start 2 RB 3 WR and a flex league, so to me balance through the first 8 rounds is important. I'll Likely go RB/WR most of those top 8 rounds except for the one round I go after a QB. I don't want to be stuck behind the 8 ball "knowing" I need a position because it 1) Handcuffs me, and 2) Telegraphs to the guy picking 11 what he can go after.

The way I look at it is that ADP does not matter as much from the 12 hole. 22 guys will go before my next pick so ADP 12 - 20 is my talent pool to pick the best guys from.

IMHO

It's a discussion on the 12 spot. I'd love to see how your squad ended up going WR-WR. Post it.
I really don't want to open this can of worms as it probably belongs in the Assistant Coach forum--but if you think it would be helpful to see how my roster looks--here it is. My intention was not to go WR/WR--but historically the drafts in this particular league tend to be very unpredictable. The run for running backs in the first 2-3 rounds was so immense that I basically caved in and went for the value at WR.qb's: Eli manning, Tom Brady-- i project either of these guys to be in the qb9 range which puts me below average

rbs: Lamar miller, tj yeldon, arian foster, tre mason, shane vereen, darren mcfadden, bishop sankey, ronnie hillman---miller is not really an rb1, and yeldon is an unproven rb2--so I'm below league average here. I do have some upside depth that might pan out--but no guarantees there.

wr's: Antonio Brown, Dez Bryant, brandin cooks, amari cooper, stevie johnson--I personally feel like my wr squad is elite--and even though its standard scoring--I pretty much plan on starting a wr in my flex spot.

te:: Vernon davis--uggh--I waited too long by acquiring too much depth at the rb spot. I'm basically terrible here.

we also have two IR spots that can be filled next week--thats when I'll grab my kicker and d.

As you can see--you can definitely acquire some nice pieces going WR/WR---but you have to be very disciplined as your draft goes--or else you'll have some pretty heavy weak spots. I hope this helps.

A lot depends on starting requirements. I should have remembered to state in my earlier post that my particular league starts 1QB, 1RB, 1WR + 2 flex so you can start 1rb+3 wr's if you want to. That means at the 1/2 turn, if you get something like Dez+Julio, you have an equivalent to getting 2 of the top 10 RB's, whereas if you take like a Hill for example, it doesn't feel as safe. If you have to start 2 RB's like majority do, i'd be more inclined to start RB/WR, maybe Murray+Julio or something similar.

It's standard so I can't judge it as well as PPR (which is all I play) but I think this looks pretty damn good. Antonio/Dez/Cooks is silly, and with Cooper there too. I love it. Scoring Miller despite going WR-WR-WR is amazing, and you've got Foster for down the road. Until then, Mason can hopefully hold it down. I hope a slide like that happens re: Miller in my draft. That's what you're really hoping for going WR-WR. Forcing the position run, and leaving yourself a better crop of RBs to pick from. Depending on your league, sometimes that works, and sometimes it blows up in your face.

It's standard so I can't judge it as well as PPR (which is all I play) but I think this looks pretty damn good. Antonio/Dez/Cooks is silly, and with Cooper there too. I love it. Scoring Miller despite going WR-WR-WR is amazing, and you've got Foster for down the road. Until then, Mason can hopefully hold it down. I hope a slide like that happens re: Miller in my draft. That's what you're really hoping for going WR-WR. Forcing the position run, and leaving yourself a better crop of RBs to pick from. Depending on your league, sometimes that works, and sometimes it blows up in your face.
Thank you for your comments and for your feedback. I wish I had this same roster in a PPR league--but honestly--in my opinion my roster is probably the third or fourth best in my league (but this is obviously subjective). The standard scoring format really brings my roster down to earth in a pretty big way. I however agree with you that if I can stay competitive until Foster returns--I could be pretty solid.

I dont see how anyone can pass on Gronk if he drops to 12th as its too good of value to miss out on. I also feel that Luck, Rodgers, Gronk are really the only "safe" plays in the first two rounds to be elite running away with a top 1/2/3 finish at their position.

Got a slow draft going out of the 12 hole.

12 Team, redraft PPR league

Start QB, 1RB, 2WR, 1TE, 1Flex (RB, WR, TE), 1 Flex (RB, WR), K, 2IDP

Had the choice of CJ Anderson, D. Thomas and Megatron at the turn.

Since I only have to start 1RB and I like the RBs over the WRs that I hope will be there at 3.12/4.01, I went with D. Thomas and Megatron to kick off the draft but it was a tough call. In leagues where you have to start 2 RBs, I think Anderson would be a great pick there.

Deciding if Foster would be too early to take a shot at at 3.12/4.01 as I think he'll be off the board at 5.12/6.01.

CJ Anderson seems to be falling out of the first round and not sure why? I'm seeing him being drafted around 14th or 15th overall when his ADP is around 7th or 8th overall. After the tier of the top RB's CJ seems to be in the next group as there is a run on top WR's and Gronk.

What do the sharks think of CJ?

drafting tonite...

at 6pt/tds for QBs, Id be an idiot to pass on Luck, right? I mean.. if he made it to me.

6pts all TDs. One RB/WR/TE flex. No PPR.

I picked CJ and Jeremy Hill at 1.12/2.1 (McCoy, Foster (before injury), Gronk, and J Jones were available).

Went D. Hopkins and B Cooks at 3.12/4.1 (Ellington, Murray, Gurley, Yeldon were available). WRs Sanders, Tate, and Matthews were picked right after me.

Went C Newton and R Jennings at 5.12/6.1 (before Benjamin injury and I grabbed Vareen a couple rounds later).

I felt better about the start prior to Benjamin going down but overall I think it's a high upside, although low downside, draft

drafting tonite...

at 6pt/tds for QBs, Id be an idiot to pass on Luck, right? I mean.. if he made it to me.
In a 6pt passing td league--I would absolutely take Luck at the 12 spot if available---but I wouldn't bet on that happening. If it does--you'd probably have to go luck with a stud rb. Work the next 6-7 rounds on rb's and wr's--and wait on TE.

drafting tonite...

I think you would, but it does make it hard to build a solid squad around him. If you can get a top tier WR or RB with him, I think you'll be okay. My draft is tonight as well, and this 12 spot has been mocked six ways from Sunday and every time I look at the results I sit there and say, "there's no way that happens". (Ex. Yesterday I ended up with Julio and ODB and then AJ Green and Alfred Morris at the 3/4 turn... Mark that under things that will never happen)

I will draft luck if he falls to me at 12. I will draft Gronk and Luck if they fall to me at 12 and then piece together a squad of RBs and WRs over the next 12 rounds.

drafting tonite...

In a 6pt passing td league--I would absolutely take Luck at the 12 spot if available---but I wouldn't bet on that happening. If it does--you'd probably have to go luck with a stud rb. Work the next 6-7 rounds on rb's and wr's--and wait on TE.
really considering this...

Id likely be able to pair him w a julio/megatron/odb, or a jeremy hill - or something to that effect.

I honestly cant pass on Luck there... it feels wrong.

drafting tonite...

Id likely be able to pair him w a julio/megatron/odb, or a jeremy hill - or something to that effect.

I can tell you that in my standard league with 6pt passing tds--Luck did go at 5 and Rodgers went at either 8 or 9. Our draft was after the Jordy injury---so the owner that did draft Rodgers still saw value there. If your league is ppr---then a stud WR does make sense. If it is standard--you might be looking at a pretty heavy RB run that extends into the second and 3rd rounds--so you might be a bit more motivated to go rb with your 2.1. I went wr/wr--and my rb1 is lamar miller--which isn't a great feeling.

drafting tonite...

Luck went the pick before mine. I would not expect him to be there, but if he is, you grab him.

I'm hoping Luck is there... I won't take Rodgers at 12, even tho I know he'll still be solid without Jordy... I'm just less confident in his numbers, and would rather another QB later on.

If Luck is there, I'm convinced Im taking him... but Im going to gameplan as if he wont be

I'm drafting Friday night out of the 12 hole. I'm hoping CJ or Hill is there to pair with a stud WR but I'm prepared to go WR/WR and load up on rounds 3-5 with RB.

I went WR/WR because I felt that RB value is too volatile and there are solid RBs in later rounds. I also felt that getting 2 potentially dominant WRs gives me an advantage over my competitors. Here are my first 10 picks:

Rounds 1/2: ODB/Calvin

Rounds 3/4: PManning/Melvin

Rounds 5/6: Stewart/Foster

Rounds 7/8: Smiff/Eifert

Rounds 9/10: RJennings/Parker

I went WR/WR because I felt that RB value is too volatile and there are solid RBs in later rounds. I also felt that getting 2 potentially dominant WRs gives me an advantage over my competitors. Here are my first 10 picks:

Rounds 1/2: ODB/Calvin

Rounds 3/4: PManning/Melvin

Rounds 5/6: Stewart/Foster

Rounds 7/8: Smiff/Eifert

Rounds 9/10: RJennings/Parker
I like the draft except what you did on the turn at 3/4. Unless all TDs are 6 points I think that's too early for manning and not a fan of Gordon in a redraft this year at that point in the draft.

Other than that, solid value all around.

Drafted from the 12-spot in a competitive non-PPR league:

Rounds 1/2: Gronk/Hill
Rounds 3/4: Latavius/Andre Johnson
Rounds 5/6: Doug Martin/Allen Robinson
Rounds 7/8: Brady/Wright
Rounds 9/10: McFadden/Stevie Johnson

1/2 - I spent weeks mocking WR/WR because usually the top-flight ones are available, but five of them went directly before my pick. So, I panicked and took Gronk (whom usually isn't there) and a decent RB in Hill. I don't think it's as viable to WR/WR as it was if you held the draft a month ago; the mid-round RBs have been flying up in value recently (Martin, Abdullah, etc.) and it's just not possible to get them at the later turns.

3/4 - I don't really like Andre Johnson in non-PPR but the whole WR bunch in rounds 4-7 are similar, IMO. Not a huge fan of Latavius either but Ingram and Morris were both gone (they were my target RBs at the turn), so I went upside with that pick.

5/6 - I finally catch a break and Martin falls for good value at the 5.12. Robinson also was a nice value pick at 6.01. Some may be surprised he fell this far but remember it's non-PPR and the Jags aren't going to score much. Guys like Decker could easily score as much as Robinson this year by having 20 less catches yet scoring 5 more TDs .

7/8 - Too early for both, bad picks. QBs, however, always go WAY too early in this league and I really wanted to pair up Brady/Gronk. I like the volatility because when they score big you win the week regardless of the rest of your team. Wright I think is going to have great volume this year but he's not going to score much; in the 8th in a PPR league he's a good pick. A better pick here would have been one of the upside RBs left, maybe Freeman, Coleman, Vereen, McFadden, etc.

9/10 - Another break ... McFadden is cheap given his upside this year. And Stevie Johnson is a 1,000-yard receiver going in the 10th round, kind of stupid.

1/2 - I spent weeks mocking WR/WR because usually the top-flight ones are available, but five of them went directly before my pick. So, I panicked and took Gronk (whom usually isn't there) and a decent RB in Hill. I don't think it's as viable to WR/WR as it was if you held the draft a month ago; the mid-round RBs have been flying up in value recently (Martin, Abdullah, etc.) and it's just not possible to get them at the later turns.

3/4 - I don't really like Andre Johnson in non-PPR but the WRs were going really fast in this draft. Not a huge fan of Latavius either but Ingram and Morris were both gone (they were my target RBs at the turn).

5/6 - I finally catch a break and Martin falls for good value at the 5.12. Robinson also was a nice value pick at 6.01. Some may be surprised he fell this far but remember it's non-PPR and the Jags aren't going to score much. Guys like Decker could easily score as much as Robinson this year by having 20 less catches yet scoring 5 more TDs .

7/8 - Too early for both, bad picks. QBs, however, always go WAY too early in this league and I really wanted to pair up Brady/Gronk. I like the volatility because when they score big you win the week regardless of the rest of your team. Wright I think is going to have great volume this year but he's not going to score much; in the 8th in a PPR league he's a good pick. A better pick here would have been one of the upside RBs left, maybe Freeman, Coleman, Vereen, McFadden, etc.

9/10 - Another break ... McFadden is cheap given his upside this year. And Stevie Johnson is a 1,000-yard receiver going in the 10th round, kind of stupid.
What round did Bradford go?

3/4 - I don't really like Andre Johnson in non-PPR but the WRs were going really fast in this draft. Not a huge fan of Latavius either but Ingram and Morris were both gone (they were my target RBs at the turn).

What round did Bradford go?
9.09 ... if I had punted on Brady hoping for Bradford at the 9.12 he would have been gone. Stafford went at 9.10. The only decent QBs left at the 9.12 were Eli and Rivers. I don't have a lot of faith in either this year so I guess I'm OK with the Brady pick, even though I thought it was early at the time.

I should note this is a 1/2/3/1 non-PPR, no flex league. The fewer flex you have, the more valuable the QB position gets. Just like if you had a 1/1/1/1 league, the QB position would be drafted very highly.

Got a slow draft going out of the 12 hole.

12 Team, redraft PPR league

Start QB, 1RB, 2WR, 1TE, 1Flex (RB, WR, TE), 1 Flex (RB, WR), K, 2IDP

Had the choice of CJ Anderson, D. Thomas and Megatron at the turn.

Since I only have to start 1RB and I like the RBs over the WRs that I hope will be there at 3.12/4.01, I went with D. Thomas and Megatron to kick off the draft but it was a tough call. In leagues where you have to start 2 RBs, I think Anderson would be a great pick there.

Deciding if Foster would be too early to take a shot at at 3.12/4.01 as I think he'll be off the board at 5.12/6.01.
Im drafting in the 12 hole in about thirty minutes. Can't decide if I want to take foster 4.01.

just went julio/DT at the 1/2 turn.

couldnt be happier... I mean, I wanted luck, but he went at 4 (6pt/td)

Just got done. Like how this turned out, but we had a really odd crew. Qbs flew off the board. I am in love with foster this year so had to grab him at 4.1. Somehow Gurkey fell back to me at 5.12.

1. (12) Julio Jones (Atl - WR)

2. (13) C.J. Anderson (Den - RB)

3. (36) Joseph Randle (Dal - RB)

4. (37) Arian Foster (Hou - RB)

5. (60) Todd Gurley (StL - RB)

6. (61) Tom Brady (NE - QB)

7. (84) Steve Smith Sr. (Bal - WR)

8. (85) Victor Cruz (NYG - WR)

9. (108) Darren McFadden (Dal - RB)

10. (109) Dwayne Allen (Ind - TE)

11. (132) Brandon LaFell (NE - WR)

12. (133) Jay Cutler (Chi - QB)

13. (156) Mason Crosby (GB - K)

14. (157) Miami (Mia - DEF)

Just finished a 12 man start QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, WR/TE, TE, DST, K non PPR from the 12 hole. You get one keeper.

Bryant ( keeper )

2.12 - Lamar Miller

3.01 - Andrew Luck ( I was amazed he wasn't gone, took him behind Miller just to say I got him in the 3rd hehe )

4.12 - Amari Cooper

5.01 - Arian Foster

6.12 - LaGarrette Blount

7.01 - Allen Robinson

8.12 - Isaiah Crowell

9.01 - Bryan Quick ( reached here )

10.12- Matthew Stafford ( trading chip hopefully )

11.01- Antonio Gates

12.12- Tyler Eiffert

13.01- Stevie Johnson

14.12.- Crosby

15.01- Packers DT

Really like how this played out actually.

Users who are viewing this thread