What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Hiking (1 Viewer)

TheIronSheik

SUPER ELITE UPPER TIER
I've always loved hiking, but just recently have started doing a lot of hiking up in the mountains. These are usually just day trips of 6 miles or so. Anyone else do this?

Looking to possibly get some equipment or gear and possibly do some all day hikes of 10 or more miles. Just looking for suggestions or tips.

Or if anyone is in the PA area, any places you might go hiking.

love hiking-

been to Colorado 2 times in the past year.. awesome!
As far as PA - Appalachain Trail has some good hikes (rocky!) to lookouts (Pulpit Rock, Pinnacle - Berks County)

French Creek State park has some decent trails..

I shop for hiking gear at REI or backcountry.com

love hiking-

As far as PA - Appalachain Trail has some good hikes (rocky!) to lookouts (Pulpit Rock, Pinnacle - Berks County)

We are heading to French Creek Park this weekend. It's just up the road from us so it's great.

It's funny you mention Pinnacle. I've been reading a lot about it and want to do it. I see it says the round trip is like 9.5 miles. I think I can do that, but I've never tried. Have you done it? How was it?

love hiking-

We are heading to French Creek Park this weekend. It's just up the road from us so it's great.

It's funny you mention Pinnacle. I've been reading a lot about it and want to do it. I see it says the round trip is like 9.5 miles. I think I can do that, but I've never tried. Have you done it? How was it?
yep- you start at the Hamburg reservoir property, and do the loop- Pulpit rock, then to the Pinnacle (very very rocky and rugged- wear good hiking boots).. after that the return loop trail is smooth.. Pinnacle has awesome views

If you do this, do a weekday, or go very early on weekend, because it gets very crowded..

another nice hike is Port Clinton to the Hamburg reservoir and back

oh- my favorite trail at French creek is the Boone trail (blue blaze).. about 6 miles total.. there are offshoots to a fire tower and lake

:subscribe:

I live near harpers ferry and will start hiking it soon. is there any special equipment that one needs other than water and good boots

I used to hike a lot, not so much anymore.

My favorite was an urban hike in San Francisco that went to the 12 "peaks" throughout the city that are over 500 ft. in elevation. What a great day that was.

I would think that hiking near where Shiek lives would be great in the fall, with the trees, cooler weather, awesome.

I live near harpers ferry and will start hiking it soon. is there any special equipment that one needs other than water and good boots
hydration pack

good hiking socks and clothes (no cotton) especially underwear!

other- hat and sunglasses..

hydration pack

so silk underwear is recommended?
sure if you want to turn on the bears..

I prefer Ex Officio http://www.exofficio.com/products/details/mens-give-n-go-sport-mesh-3-boxer-brief

hydration pack

Do you have some sort of backpack or anything to carry water and stuff?

Also, I've looked into some hiking boots and was wondering if you really need them or just a good pair of shoes?

hydration pack

Also, I've looked into some hiking boots and was wondering if you really need them or just a good pair of shoes?
I use a hydration pack http://www.backcountry.com/hydration-packs That trail is a little rocky at times, but a sturdy pair of trail shoes or trail sneakers would be fine

A little longer drive, but excellent trails here:

http://www.berks-conservancy.org/land/greater-reading-trails/neversink-mountain-preserve

I would think that hiking near where Shiek lives would be great in the fall, with the trees, cooler weather, awesome.
Yeah, we started hiking a little over a year ago and the views are amazing. We went up to Hawk Mountain to see the leaves change. That was fun. Got some amazing pictures there.

hydration pack

I use a hydration pack http://www.backcountry.com/hydration-packs That trail is a little rocky at times, but a sturdy pair of trail shoes or trail sneakers would be fine

http://www.berks-conservancy.org/land/greater-reading-trails/neversink-mountain-preserve
This "hydration pack" is interesting to me. I've never heard of it, but they seem pretty awesome. They definitely aren't cheap though. Does each person wear this thing, or is one good for two people?

When the bear surprises you, pick up a stick and hit it hard across the snout. That always scares them away (and you'll look like the man in front of the women folk).

Last edited by a moderator:
When the bear surprises you, pick up a stick and hit it hard across the snout. That always scares them away (and you'll look like the man in front of the women folk).
I was hiking with a buddy in CO and he stopped at one point and said something like "Now, we may want to be careful in this area. I'm not sure, but I'm pretty sure we're in 'Bear Country' now." I laughed and said, "Are you serious?" He looked at me like :confused: I told him to turn around.

Dude was literally standing right in front of a huge wooden sign that said "WARNING! YOU ARE ENTERING BEAR COUNTRY!" He had no clue. :lol:

I've done quite a few hikes... day hikes, week-long hikes, to 3-week hikes.

I found that I much prefer comfy running shoes to dedicated hiking boots.

Cotton should be avoided for nearly all clothing; once it is wet it takes forever to dry and is also heavy. ExOfficio stuff rocks.

Lighter pack and contents is key. No use carrying around weight if you do not have to.

Buy used stuff in good condition for 70% off what you would pay for new at REI or backcountry.

Check out the community over at backpackinglight.... the FBG of lightweight backing with similarly a ton of information.

This is actually closer to me than Pinnacle. Only 40 minutes away. Might have to go check it out. We went to Bushkill Falls last weekend. I want to go check out the Mason Dixon Trail along the Sesquehanna River. That looks like it could be fun. And about 2 hours away, north of Harrisburg, there's a place that overlooks the Sesquehanna from a mountain. It's part of the Appalachian Trail. It's a short hike, but supposed to be a pretty steep climb up the mountain.

Running out of time this year, but next spring probably head out to Ricketts Glen Falls. That's supposed to be awesome.

I love hiking anywhere, but the mountains are my favorite. One day I'd like to hike up to a mountain. No rock climbing, but hiking. They say you can get to the top of Aconcagua by just hiking. That would be amazing.

Any other trails worth checking out in E PA? Or surrounding areas?
Monacacy Hill Rec Area near Douglassville has some trails and views..

there are many other trails at French Creek as well- there is a trailhead and parking area right off Rt 345 at Shed Road- more 'backcountry' type trails that are lesser used than the Boone..

closer to the Reading area, Mt Penn preserve has a nice trail system..

"Hiking" is basically just a fancy name for going for a scenic walk, right?
Kind of, I guess. Depending on what trails you take, some walks can be quite challenging with rocks and things. But, yeah, for the most part, you're just walking.

hydration pack

This "hydration pack" is interesting to me. I've never heard of it, but they seem pretty awesome. They definitely aren't cheap though. Does each person wear this thing, or is one good for two people?
Only if you hold the hose VERY suggestively for the other person to drink.

Anyone ever been down to Shenandoah National Park to hike? Was thinking about taking a trip down there to hike.

Anyone ever been down to Shenandoah National Park to hike? Was thinking about taking a trip down there to hike.
I grew up down that way and have done some little hikes in the park, usually entering around Front Royal. Just stuff off Skyline Drive. It's beautiful down there, but very hilly.

So my FIL hikes very regularly. He took it up a few years back, and his goal is to hike the whole App. Trail. He's a SVP at Morgan Stanley, so taking 3+ months off to do it straight-through isn't feasible. He hikes it in sections. He's done with most of the middle part, but now has to get to the northern and southern parts. He said he generally likes the Virginia stuff the most, but that some of the parts up in northern NJ/NY can be really nice at times.

As far as gear, I know he used to camp, and everything was about weight. Lightest stuff you could afford, and as little stuff as you could carry. He's a little older now and his feet bother him, so he tends to just stay at hotels along the way at night now.

I'm 100% convinced he hikes because it's the one activity that gets him out of the house and away from my MIL and SIL's...

Looking to possibly get some equipment or gear and possibly do some all day hikes of 10 or more miles. Just looking for suggestions or tips.
I'm new to the hiking scene, but did a crash course this past Spring. Suggested gear for longer day hikes includes a hydration pack/reservoir backpack (I use Camelbak), trekking poles, synthetic underwear (I use Ex Officio), wool socks (I use SmartWool Merino), light hiking shoes (or running shoes if you prefer something even lighter) - make sure they are a size larger than your normal shoe size, gators (to keep dust and small rocks out of your shoes), a wide brim hat that keeps the sun off your face and neck if heat or sunburn will be an issue, Body Glide or some other form of lubricant to deal with areas that chafe, a buff or bandana.

Lots of gear advice in this thread: https://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index.php?/topic/725810-anyone-hiked-the-grand-canyon-update-i-survived/page-1

hydration pack

Depends on the length of the hike, how strenuous it is, and whether there are any water sources for refilling along the way.

brohan i used to hike a lot but now my hips are metal and that is not happening for pants i guess it depends what you are doing if you are crossing streams you want something that does not hold water they make pants for wet wading that are super awesome and dry out as soon as you get out of the water good stuff i recommend a lot of thin layers that you can remove and that are packable get a good comfortable pack with wide cushy straps that do not dig in and then get a jetboil those babies are the best you can heat up water add some raman and you are good to go ffor lunch and energy bam another one solved by the old swcer take that to the bank

Live in Idaho and love to hike. Trail running shoes are great for hiking. You only need the beefy boots when you are backpacking with a lot of weight on your back. No cotton - ever. Convertible pants, where you can zip off legs if it gets hot, are best for fall hiking. Hiking poles are nice, but my 20 year old son says they make you look like a goober. If you insist on using poles (bad knees etc), wrap a bunch of duct tape around the pole so it can be used for fixing stuff on trail. Bring a pair of Tevas/Keens/Chacos for river/stream crossings - No flip flops! Carry matches or a lighter, and some first aid stuff. If you want to save on water weight on longer hikes, buy a water purifier like this guy - I have one and it's pretty sweet.

http://backpackingsamurai.com/katadyn-vario-water-filter/

Hiking poles are nice, but my 20 year old son says they make you look like a goober.
:lmao: I would venture to guess that most experienced hikers (1) understand the value of trekking poles on advanced hikes and (2) don't give a crap about looking like a goober while hiking if said gooberish equipment has utility.

I've done a lot of hiking including 2 weeks on the AT. I prefer running shoes to hiking boots. I have wide feet and have never found a boot that fit well enough and still be light. Trekking poles are great for when I have a backpack. Without them my arms get fatigued quickly. Without a back pack I think they're more trouble than they're worth. I also highly recommend pants with the zip off legs for spring and fall when the temp can change drastically throughout the day.

Hiking poles are nice, but my 20 year old son says they make you look like a goober.
:lmao: I would venture to guess that most experienced hikers (1) understand the value of trekking poles on advanced hikes and (2) don't give a crap about looking like a goober while hiking if said gooberish equipment has utility.
:thumbup: I was exactly the same way the first time I went into the Grand Canyon. "What a bunch of nerds". 2 years ago, the second time I went into the canyon, my daughter and I split a set so we both had 1. We hiked in the Colorado Rockies this Summer and we both had a set. If a 17 year old "I'm pretty much cooler than everyone" girl realizes how much they help, everyone can.
Yep! But to be clear, I'm not suggesting that all experienced hikers use them in all conditions or even at all, just that they recognize their utility and wouldn't avoid using them solely because they didn't want to look like a goober. Heck, most of the best hiking hats look absolutely ridiculous.

america where we figure out everything even ways to make sticks fancy and expensive take that to the bank brohans

"Hiking" is basically just a fancy name for going for a scenic walk, right?
Totally up to you.

I have been on hikes where my heart is beating faster than during almost any running event I have ever done. Trekking up rocky gap road and summitting Bridge Mtn in the middle of July was far more difficult to me than running a marathon. It was 16 miles with some decent scrambling thrown in on top of it.

On the flip side I have also hiked some narrows that have less elevation change than the streets of New York and you barely break a sweat.

hydration pack

so silk underwear is recommended?
sure if you want to turn on the bears..

I prefer Ex Officio http://www.exofficio.com/products/details/mens-give-n-go-sport-mesh-3-boxer-brief
No need to spend $30 on a pair of boxer briefs. Can find much cheaper alternatives that are great. Check out Kohls and even discount stores like Marshall's and TJ max... :thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread