What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Hiking (1 Viewer)

bigbottom said:
WhatDoIKnow said:
bigbottom said:
Mookie said:
Hiking poles are nice, but my 20 year old son says they make you look like a goober.
:lmao: I would venture to guess that most experienced hikers (1) understand the value of trekking poles on advanced hikes and (2) don't give a crap about looking like a goober while hiking if said gooberish equipment has utility.
:thumbup: I was exactly the same way the first time I went into the Grand Canyon. "What a bunch of nerds". 2 years ago, the second time I went into the canyon, my daughter and I split a set so we both had 1. We hiked in the Colorado Rockies this Summer and we both had a set. If a 17 year old "I'm pretty much cooler than everyone" girl realizes how much they help, everyone can.
Yep! But to be clear, I'm not suggesting that all experienced hikers use them in all conditions or even at all, just that they recognize their utility and wouldn't avoid using them solely because they didn't want to look like a goober. Heck, most of the best hiking hats look absolutely ridiculous.
Not my Tilley. :banned:

SWC said:
america where we figure out everything even ways to make sticks fancy and expensive take that to the bank brohans
Adjustable, mayhaps. One size fits all? Going uphill? Coming down?

bigbottom said:
WhatDoIKnow said:
bigbottom said:
Mookie said:
Hiking poles are nice, but my 20 year old son says they make you look like a goober.
:lmao: I would venture to guess that most experienced hikers (1) understand the value of trekking poles on advanced hikes and (2) don't give a crap about looking like a goober while hiking if said gooberish equipment has utility.
:thumbup: I was exactly the same way the first time I went into the Grand Canyon. "What a bunch of nerds". 2 years ago, the second time I went into the canyon, my daughter and I split a set so we both had 1. We hiked in the Colorado Rockies this Summer and we both had a set. If a 17 year old "I'm pretty much cooler than everyone" girl realizes how much they help, everyone can.
Yep! But to be clear, I'm not suggesting that all experienced hikers use them in all conditions or even at all, just that they recognize their utility and wouldn't avoid using them solely because they didn't want to look like a goober. Heck, most of the best hiking hats look absolutely ridiculous.
Have you found the ark yet?

bigbottom said:
WhatDoIKnow said:
bigbottom said:
Mookie said:
Have you found the ark yet?
How was your sammich?

We did French Creek State Park yesterday. Man that place is beautiful. And huge. I didn't realize how big it was. We parked up near Scott's Run Lake and hiked the Turtle Trail. I was trying to lead us to the Fire Tower but I think I made a wrong turn at one point. It was just under 6 miles. Not too difficult, but not easy. We'll definitely hit that place a bunch since it's only 25 minutes away. I want to do the trails over on the east side of the park.

We did French Creek State Park yesterday. Man that place is beautiful. And huge. I didn't realize how big it was. We parked up near Scott's Run Lake and hiked the Turtle Trail. I was trying to lead us to the Fire Tower but I think I made a wrong turn at one point. It was just under 6 miles. Not too difficult, but not easy. We'll definitely hit that place a bunch since it's only 25 minutes away. I want to do the trails over on the east side of the park.
nice- park at the trailhead at Shed Road parking area- some good 'backcountry' loops- shorter, but hillier than the others

This past weekend we hiked 5 miles of the Appalachian Trail. We drove out just north of Harrisburg and did a trek up a mountain. It was a tough hike. A lot sketchier than I would have thought with skinny paths along mountain edges. The whole loop took about 2 1/2 hours, but it felt amazing to know we walked up to the top of the mountain. The views were pretty awesome, too. Trees blocked a lot of the better views, but still got to see both sides overlooking the Susquehanna River. Trailhead parking was across the river from Duncannon.

:oldunsure: I missed this thread when it was first posted as I was on a three-day hiking trip. Love seeing people excited about hiking!

Just did a shorter-than-expected hike this morning (Mr. krista not feeling well) and decided to tally up our hiking totals for the first three quarters of 2015:

480.47 miles

120,436 feet of elevation gain, equivalent to almost 23 miles of vertical gain

We hike to mountain summits, alpine lakes and anything else you can offer, primarily in our home bases of the North Cascades, Central Cascades and Olympic mountain ranges and surrounding wilderness areas.

I know it was a joke, but just a few photos to compare a hike to a "scenic walk". This is what a real hike looks like (all from hikes we've done in 2015):

That's the trail?

Or even worse, that's the trail?

Steep scree trails are not fun going up, but even less fun coming back down.

Hold on, where's the handrail?

At least this one has rebar, though we didn't use it.

Wait, I want that rebar to get down this instead.

The only way up there is over those boulders.

Coming back down, as usual, even worse.

But you guys might just find the views at the top worth it.

Mr. krista and I are gear-aholics (don't ask me about my backpack obsession), so I'd be happy to give advice on any type of gear. I provided a lot of input in the thread biggie linked but am always tweaking my gear selections.

:oldunsure: I missed this thread when it was first posted as I was on a three-day hiking trip. Love seeing people excited about hiking!

Just did a shorter-than-expected hike this morning (Mr. krista not feeling well) and decided to tally up our hiking totals for the first three quarters of 2015:

480.47 miles

We hike to mountain summits, alpine lakes and anything else you can offer, primarily in our home bases of the North Cascades, Central Cascades and Olympic mountain ranges and surrounding wilderness areas.

I know it was a joke, but just a few photos to compare a hike to a "scenic walk". This is what a real hike looks like (all from hikes we've done in 2015):

That's the trail?

Mr. krista and I are gear-aholics (don't ask me about my backpack obsession), so I'd be happy to give advice on any type of gear. I provided a lot of input in the thread biggie linked but am always tweaking my gear selections.
Would have been better off lifting some kettle bells at high intensity for 7 minutes :P

480.47 miles

That's the trail?

Would have been better off lifting some kettle bells at high intensity for 7 minutes :P
:lmao: Forgot about the advice in that thread.

Last weekend hiked mt massive and Mt. bierstadt Was pretty amazing. Wish I lived closer to some of these places.
14ers! :thumbup:
I know I have mentioned this to you before, but you haven't done vegas until you have hiked it. No better way to spend a vacation as far as I am concerned. Arrive Friday night. have a nice dinner, relax a bit, gamble and have a few drinks. Saturday hit the trails. Spring mountains are my personal favorite. Get back, shower and then hit the town as hard as you like. Sunday, sleep in. Watch football all day. Call it an early night and hit the trails again monday. Get back watch monday night football, eat, drink, be merry. Head home tuesday.

Last weekend hiked mt massive and Mt. bierstadt Was pretty amazing. Wish I lived closer to some of these places.
14ers! :thumbup:
I know I have mentioned this to you before, but you haven't done vegas until you have hiked it. No better way to spend a vacation as far as I am concerned. Arrive Friday night. have a nice dinner, relax a bit, gamble and have a few drinks. Saturday hit the trails. Spring mountains are my personal favorite. Get back, shower and then hit the town as hard as you like. Sunday, sleep in. Watch football all day. Call it an early night and hit the trails again monday. Get back watch monday night football, eat, drink, be merry. Head home tuesday.
Trails in the morning, rails in the evening.

They say you can get to the top of Aconcagua by just hiking. That would be amazing.
You can! I have a friend doing it in February. I looked at it but think it is beyond my capability at this time. Maybe someday.

Also, when it starts to get cold, what are the ideal pants to hike in?
Mr krista and I both like some layering in the cold. We both wear a mid-weight base layer and he wears shorts or hiking pants that zip off and I wear a skirt or hiking pants that zip off. Also gives you a lot of flexibility for getting up steep parts.

Live in Idaho and love to hike. Trail running shoes are great for hiking. You only need the beefy boots when you are backpacking with a lot of weight on your back. No cotton - ever. Convertible pants, where you can zip off legs if it gets hot, are best for fall hiking. Hiking poles are nice, but my 20 year old son says they make you look like a goober. If you insist on using poles (bad knees etc), wrap a bunch of duct tape around the pole so it can be used for fixing stuff on trail. Bring a pair of Tevas/Keens/Chacos for river/stream crossings - No flip flops! Carry matches or a lighter, and some first aid stuff. If you want to save on water weight on longer hikes, buy a water purifier like this guy - I have one and it's pretty sweet.

http://backpackingsamurai.com/katadyn-vario-water-filter/
Good stuff here. I know I'm repeating some stuff from biggie's thread, but we swear by the Sawyer squeeze filter. Easiest thing in the world; everyone who sees us using it immediately wants one. Water is the heaviest thing you carry on a dayhike, so cutting down on it as much as possible is great if you can filter and refill.

We talked about the Ten Essentials in the other thread; newer hikers should look these up if you haven't.

I know poles have been discussed in here a bit now, but I don't know a serious hiker other than trail-runners who doesn't have them. I take them on all hikes unless I absolutely know it's a hike where I won't use them, and I use them on most for one thing or another. They can serve such a huge variety of beneficial purposes. Looking like a goober is not having poles when you need them, say for balance on a tricky water crossing.

Bets hike I ever did was the Inca trail.

As for other parts of South America I've been recommended Torres del Paine national park in Southern Chile and Caminho de Ouro in Brazil (literally the Golden Road, coming from Minas Gerais (Ouro Preto?) down to Paraty in RJ, about 55-60 miles of descent to the Atlantic Ocean through Primary/Secondary growth rain forest, that the gold caravans used to take back in the day Brazil was being explored and exploited)

Gear note: all the Seattle-area REIs have garage sales this Saturday, Oct. 3. If you haven't been to an REI garage sale before, they are well worth it, but get there very early.

Not sure about other locations around the country and whether they have them this weekend.

ETA: Just checked their site. It's national! Every location is having a garage sale. Great time for everyone to pick up some new or gently used gear!

As an example, I once got a pair of the exact hiking boots I always buy, usually $130, brand-new for $20.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good stuff here. I know I'm repeating some stuff from biggie's thread, but we swear by the Sawyer squeeze filter. Easiest thing in the world; everyone who sees us using it immediately wants one. Water is the heaviest thing you carry on a dayhike, so cutting down on it as much as possible is great if you can filter and refill.

We talked about the Ten Essentials in the other thread; newer hikers should look these up if you haven't.

I know poles have been discussed in here a bit now, but I don't know a serious hiker other than trail-runners who doesn't have them. I take them on all hikes unless I absolutely know it's a hike where I won't use them, and I use them on most for one thing or another. They can serve such a huge variety of beneficial purposes. Looking like a goober is not having poles when you need them, say for balance on a tricky water crossing.
:flex:

Seriously, what are the Ten Essentials? Link to other thread or repost here?

I wish we had mountains like on the west coast near where I live. Most of the hikes we do are nowhere near what you showed in your pics, Krista. We're walking up mountains, but nothing where you really have to climb. When we did the AT the other day, there were a couple of places where we had to climb rocks along the precipice of the mountain. And that seemed sketchy. But for the most part, we're just walking up hills. Big hills, but hills nonetheless.

I enjoy the trails we have, but I'd love to scale a real mountain one day.

Looking to possibly get some equipment or gear and possibly do some all day hikes of 10 or more miles. Just looking for suggestions or tips.
I'm new to the hiking scene, but did a crash course this past Spring. Suggested gear for longer day hikes includes a hydration pack/reservoir backpack (I use Camelbak), trekking poles, synthetic underwear (I use Ex Officio), wool socks (I use SmartWool Merino), light hiking shoes (or running shoes if you prefer something even lighter) - make sure they are a size larger than your normal shoe size, gators (to keep dust and small rocks out of your shoes), a wide brim hat that keeps the sun off your face and neck if heat or sunburn will be an issue, Body Glide or some other form of lubricant to deal with areas that chafe, a buff or bandana.

Lots of gear advice in this thread: https://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index.php?/topic/725810-anyone-hiked-the-grand-canyon-update-i-survived/page-1
Bump for Sand. Link to other thread above.

Ten Essentials informational link (includes classic ten essentials plus the "new" essentials systems described below)

1. Navigation (map & compass)
  2. Sun protection (sunglasses & sunscreen)
  3. Insulation (extra clothing)
  4. Illumination (headlamp/flashlight)
  5. First-aid supplies
  6. Fire (waterproof matches/lighter/candle)
  7. Repair kit and tools
  8. Nutrition (extra food)
  9. Hydration (extra water)
  10. Emergency shelter (tent/plastic tube tent/garbage bag)

:hifive:

I wish we had mountains like on the west coast near where I live. Most of the hikes we do are nowhere near what you showed in your pics, Krista. We're walking up mountains, but nothing where you really have to climb. When we did the AT the other day, there were a couple of places where we had to climb rocks along the precipice of the mountain. And that seemed sketchy. But for the most part, we're just walking up hills. Big hills, but hills nonetheless.

We are lucky to have what we do here, but you live in a gorgeous area of the country, too. Do you have any particular "real mountain" or mountains as a goal for some day?

You guys both trail-runners? I really admire that.

You guys both trail-runners? I really admire that.
Yup, we normally gather in the 10K thread, but as someone who spends 8+ hours on the trails most weeks, I'm interested in this one as well.

Besides, for a slow guy like me who runs ultras (I've done a bunch of 50Ks, a 100K and a 100m), hiking can be as much a part of some races as running is.

As for poles, European trail runners use them a lot, as many of the races over there are super technical. If I ever get to check UTMB off the bucket list, you can be sure I'd be learning how to use the ole wizard sticks.

We are lucky to have what we do here, but you live in a gorgeous area of the country, too. Do you have any particular "real mountain" or mountains as a goal for some day?
Oh yeah, don't get me wrong. I love the hiking we have out here. The area is beautiful and there are trails literally everywhere. I don't have any particular mountain in mind. I've just always wanted to reach the top of a mountain. Like I said, this past weekend when we did the AT, we had got to the top of the mountain ridge and it felt like an amazing accomplishment. The views were amazing, too.

I just bought some books and maps detailing areas of the AT around us and hope to do a lot more of it come next year.

Yup, we normally gather in the 10K thread, but as someone who spends 8+ hours on the trails most weeks, I'm interested in this one as well.

Besides, for a slow guy like me who runs ultras (I've done a bunch of 50Ks, a 100K and a 100m), hiking can be as much a part of some races as running is.

As for poles, European trail runners use them a lot, as many of the races over there are super technical. If I ever get to check UTMB off the bucket list, you can be sure I'd be learning how to use the ole wizard sticks.
I see what you did there.

About 2 weeks ago, after a hike I noticed that my left foot was throbbing in pain. Felt like a bad bruise, but no bruises anywhere. 2 weeks later, it's still hurting. I mentioned it to someone and my symptoms and they said plantar fasciitis? I looked it up and it does kind of sound exactly like what I'm experiencing. Anyone ever have it? Or know the best way to get rid of it?

krista4 said:
Looking to possibly get some equipment or gear and possibly do some all day hikes of 10 or more miles. Just looking for suggestions or tips.
I'm new to the hiking scene, but did a crash course this past Spring. Suggested gear for longer day hikes includes a hydration pack/reservoir backpack (I use Camelbak), trekking poles, synthetic underwear (I use Ex Officio), wool socks (I use SmartWool Merino), light hiking shoes (or running shoes if you prefer something even lighter) - make sure they are a size larger than your normal shoe size, gators (to keep dust and small rocks out of your shoes), a wide brim hat that keeps the sun off your face and neck if heat or sunburn will be an issue, Body Glide or some other form of lubricant to deal with areas that chafe, a buff or bandana.

Lots of gear advice in this thread: https://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index.php?/topic/725810-anyone-hiked-the-grand-canyon-update-i-survived/page-1

Ten Essentials informational link (includes classic ten essentials plus the "new" essentials systems described below)

5. First-aid supplies
  7. Repair kit and tools
Nice list Krista. I would add that if you have done research on the hike you are doing printing some of those pages can help a ton or saving them as a file on your phone. I do a lot of hikes where the trail is easily lost. I will make note of some of the landmarks that people have described online so I can look them up. Very helpful.

can't emphasize #2 enough at the higher elevations. I never wear sunscreen and I hadn't had sunburn since I was in hawaii when I was 7 years old. I got absolutely fried at 14000 feet.

For number ten, I carry a solar blanket and some paracord. Super light and take up barely any room. My friend asked why I carry some of the stuff I do. Told him I can roll an ankle just walking down the sidewalk. If I broke an ankle in 115 degree heat and had no extra supplies I would be a news article.

I will also add to your list a little ziploc baggy of wet wipes or TP. You never know when you will have to go to the bathroom. There arent too many leaves at Red Rock NCA.

Heading for three days/two nights part of the AT here in Mass. Hoping the the weather cooperates but it should be fun. Next weekend I am looking to tackle a few mountains near Lake George. Found a couple of sweet ponds with shelters for that overnight.

About 2 weeks ago, after a hike I noticed that my left foot was throbbing in pain. Felt like a bad bruise, but no bruises anywhere. 2 weeks later, it's still hurting. I mentioned it to someone and my symptoms and they said plantar fasciitis? I looked it up and it does kind of sound exactly like what I'm experiencing. Anyone ever have it? Or know the best way to get rid of it?
While this is running focused, there's some good stuff in here on treatment and prevention of PF. Much of what you find out there will just talk about the treatment piece - roll your foot on a frozen golf ball, stretch the pf, wear the night splint/boot, etc. But if the problem that led to it isn't addressed, it can take a really long time to improve. The toe strengthening and calf stretching discussed in the article are key.

It's been awhile, but when I last had PF I had pretty good success with kinesio tape as it helped alleviate the pain and allowed me to continue activity. It's pretty easy to learn how to put it on, and now it's easy to find at most sporting goods stores.

The other option would be to go see a sports-focused physical therapist. Find one that uses laser treatments or even ultrasound (a bit of an older technology, but still helpful), and while painful as hell Graston technique can be really effective treatment. A good PT will also give you exercises and/or stretches to help actually cure the problem and keep it from coming back.

I'm fairly sure I know what caused it. I try to walk about 2 miles each day at lunch on a trail close to work. It's just a flat, paved trail. I forgot my sneakers one day and decided to do it in my dress shoes. I felt fine until I sat down back at my desk. It's been hurting ever since then. I assume walking 2 1/2 miles in my dress shoes was a dumb move. I just want the pain to go away.

Looks like you've received a lot of good advice here already, but Mr krista had this too and used the exercises indicated plus some sort of shoe inserts that have made all the difference. I'll ask him if he ever gets out of bed.

krista4 said:

5. First-aid supplies
  7. Repair kit and tools
Nice list Krista. I would add that if you have done research on the hike you are doing printing some of those pages can help a ton or saving them as a file on your phone. I do a lot of hikes where the trail is easily lost. I will make note of some of the landmarks that people have described online so I can look them up. Very helpful.

can't emphasize #2 enough at the higher elevations. I never wear sunscreen and I hadn't had sunburn since I was in hawaii when I was 7 years old. I got absolutely fried at 14000 feet.

For number ten, I carry a solar blanket and some paracord. Super light and take up barely any room. My friend asked why I carry some of the stuff I do. Told him I can roll an ankle just walking down the sidewalk. If I broke an ankle in 115 degree heat and had no extra supplies I would be a news article.

I will also add to your list a little ziploc baggy of wet wipes or TP. You never know when you will have to go to the bathroom. There arent too many leaves at Red Rock NCA.
Space blanket! I was going to type about our space blanket earlier but felt like I was posting too much in this thread already ( :heart: this thread!). It's one of my favorite pieces of equipment; we use it frequently for a variety of things, not just for its intended emergency uses. And like you said, so light that it isn't a big deal just to have it on every hike. Not a big $$ investment either.

I do the same as you in terms of writing notes on any hikes where the trail is difficult to follow (which is a large % of those we do). We are both horrible route-finders, so we also took a couple of navigation classes, one for map/compass and one for GPS. Highly recommend those, or there are videos y'all can just watch on YouTube.

Another thing to note about sunscreen is that it is important if you are hiking on snow. The sun reflects up off the snow, making it worse; I know plenty of people who have had the insides of their nostrils burnt!

Heading for three days/two nights part of the AT here in Mass. Hoping the the weather cooperates but it should be fun. Next weekend I am looking to tackle a few mountains near Lake George. Found a couple of sweet ponds with shelters for that overnight.
Sounds fantastic.

What else is everyone up to hiking-wise this weekend? I think Mr. krista and I are heading down to Mt Rainier to do some trails there on Saturday before they close off most of the roads later this month.

On Sunday we've offered to take my mom and stepfather on a hike, which is good but means we'll have to do something easy. They just moved from Indiana to Washington in July, and it's hard for septuagenarian flatlanders to adjust to these type of hikes, but they're doing great and I'm proud of them. A lot of our hikes in July/Aug/Sept have been with them, which really took down our mileage and elevation gain but I'm trying to encourage them. We might take them to bag their first peak on Sunday!

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like you've received a lot of good advice here already, but Mr krista had this too and used the exercises indicated plus some sort of shoe inserts that have made all the difference. I'll ask him if he ever gets out of bed.
Thanks. I guess what I'm most interested in knowing is will it go away or am I stuck with this for the rest of my life.

Thanks. I guess what I'm most interested in knowing is will it go away or am I stuck with this for the rest of my life.
Oh it can most definitely go away, if you treat it. If it really was caused by one bad footwear choice, then it's probably even more likely that just some treatment to get the inflammation down will knock it out.

The people that have this for months or years are typically those that refuse to do anything but take some Advil and ##### about how much it hurts in the morning, but aren't willing to actually do anything about it.

Oh it can most definitely go away, if you treat it. If it really was caused by one bad footwear choice, then it's probably even more likely that just some treatment to get the inflammation down will knock it out.

The people that have this for months or years are typically those that refuse to do anything but take some Advil and ##### about how much it hurts in the morning, but aren't willing to actually do anything about it.
Hmmm..... that last part does kind of sound like me, though. I do love to complain. I'm trying to avoid the doctor, but I guess I'm going to have to make a visit there.

Hmmm..... that last part does kind of sound like me, though. I do love to complain. I'm trying to avoid the doctor, but I guess I'm going to have to make a visit there.
the best treatment is to get a rod up your rod again.. you wont feel the pain in your foot anymore

Mr krista is going to post in the thread directly about the exercises and insoles he used, but he didn't go to a doctor and it has completely gone away, for a year or more.

I did some beautiful hiking and camping along the Colorado Trail a couple weekends ago. Fall is my favorite time to hike in Colorado with all of the aspens changing colors. I'm heading up to the mountains again this afternoon for some more hiking. Here a few pictures from hiking and camping the other weekend:

http://imgur.com/dhctLNy

http://imgur.com/MrQamkj

http://imgur.com/WAyb9OF
Nice pics.

I like hiking in fall, too, but I'm always a little worried since most nice places to hike in my area are also places people hunt.

I did some beautiful hiking and camping along the Colorado Trail a couple weekends ago. Fall is my favorite time to hike in Colorado with all of the aspens changing colors. I'm heading up to the mountains again this afternoon for some more hiking. Here a few pictures from hiking and camping the other weekend:

http://imgur.com/WAyb9OF
The aspens are beautiful!

Here everyone goes nuts when the larches start to turn. These photos are from a camping trip we did a couple of weeks ago; they had just started to turn so weren't in their full glory yet.

Just starting

A little further along

Bonus goat

While I was looking through pictures from that trip, I came across this one that I thought you guys would enjoy as an example of a really fun "trail" (yes, that's the trail).

http://imgur.com/WAyb9OFA
Nice pics.

I like hiking in fall, too, but I'm always a little worried since most nice places to hike in my area are also places people hunt.
We have some of that, too. A woman was killed here a few years ago on a fairly popular trail by a couple of kids out bear hunting. Just wear your bright colors and be aware of what's going on around you, but I agree it's a bit disconcerting.

Users who are viewing this thread