What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Hiking (1 Viewer)

Just committed to a 12 day trek at the Philmont Scout Ranch with my son for summer 2017.

That also means I just committed to losing 20 pounds over the next year and a half.

Pray for me.
i am doing same. But this summer. First part of August to be exact!

Just committed to a 12 day trek at the Philmont Scout Ranch with my son for summer 2017.

That also means I just committed to losing 20 pounds over the next year and a half.

Pray for me.
:thumbup:

I have to look this trek up. 12 days is a helluva trek. Lots of people here with experience to help you (more than I have) with your prep for that trip.

We've been relegated mostly to lower level (<4000 feet) climbs due to a wet winter. No snow still where we live or in Seattle as a whole, but the mountains and passes have been getting clobbered and avalanche warnings have been frequent and serious. Still generally happy that we shouldn't have the wildfires we saw in last year's drought, but I'm getting really antsy after doing the same damn climbs over and over this winter.

We did have some nice snowy hikes with the birds a few weeks ago, plus a pretty hike on Monday. Still, these were hikes we'd done multiple times before and they're getting a bit boring. Bonus pic of me and Mr. krista.
The way I understand it, we'll be hiking from established campsite to established campsite (but bringing our own tents and gear) every day. We will likely carry three days of food with us and resupply at the designated "commissary" camps. Depending on which specific "trek" we are on, there should be only a day or two where we will have to carry extra water. So, we won't be totally on our own, but it will still be pretty challenging. Every time we send a crew out there they all come back skinnier though.
The issue, well for me anyway, is not so much the mileage. Its the elevation. BaseCamp is 6000 ft. It only goes up from there. On the east coast, there are only a few places that get above 6000 feet, and thats at the top of the hike, not the bottom. The day to day hikes are generally very reasonable. You are hiking to a program area and not just to hike. And Philmont sees a large number of hikers, so it isn't about LNT so much as concentrated camping to reduce footprint. Oh, and bear avoidance. Lots and lots of bears and they know we are coming with food....

I went once as a scout many years ago. I swore I was going to go back. You will love it.

Had a good run of no snow hiking this winter. Looks like its going to be snowshoes and traction cleats from here on out.
Might not be the case after all with the weather getting here in the northeast. 50's next week in Feb is just insane. I can't remember the last time that happened.

Had a good run of no snow hiking this winter. Looks like its going to be snowshoes and traction cleats from here on out.
Might not be the case after all with the weather getting here in the northeast. 50's next week in Feb is just insane. I can't remember the last time that happened.
In the past 67 years, there have only been 4 times that February didn't see a day of 50 degrees or higher in Philly. Those years were 2010 (46 degrees), 2003 (48 degrees), 1978 (41 degrees) and 1969 (44 degrees).

In the past 67 years, there have only been 4 times that February didn't see a day of 50 degrees or higher in Philly. Those years were 2010 (46 degrees), 2003 (48 degrees), 1978 (41 degrees) and 1969 (44 degrees).
Well my memory blows

I was looking for this thread because Mr krista and I were discussing where to go for our anniversary and his 40th bday in May. Of all the things we discussed, bigbottom's R2R2R Grand Canyon trip was the most appealing, but we appear to be too late to make any lodging plans for this May (no surprise).

I'm hoping that bigbottom or anyone could help with how logistically we could do a one-way R2R instead? I assume South to North would be the best way to go, especially at that time, but I'm struggling with how you deal with your crap and getting back to it, or sending it forward, if you're only going one way. :help: ?
Mr. K is still a pup. I just turned 50 yesterday. My friend in the pic I posted turns 50 next week, and we are celebrating our birthdays this weekend with some people. We were roommates in college. Her husband was a roommate also. When we went hiking at Grandfather in December, I was like a mountain goat (although my arthritic knees popped coming down the mtn), and she moved at a slower pace. She forgot her hiking boots, and her hiking shoes weren't helping her much with her iffy ankles on the rocky terrain. I think she was also feeling the effects of all the wine we drank the night before. Every time I turned around on the mountain she would be sitting on a rock eating a snack. She is even eating yogurt in that picture. :lol: She said she was staying fueled. I about pissed myself blind from all the water I drank. I marked those trails good.

Her and her husband lived in California for 20+ years and moved back to NC about 6 years ago to be closer to their aging parents (their dads have both passed). They still have a house in California they are renting out for now, and they will possibly move back after their mom's pass. Anyway, she was telling me about this group hike she went on in Yosemite a few years ago. She said it was hard and parts were scary, but she did it. Have you done any hikes at Yosemite?

She wants to hike the Appalachian Trail, and I'm all for it, but it will have to be broken up in parts and years. Based on the recent hiking pace, I think we need to start sooner vs later. :D One thing that has bothered me since my last hike is the arch area on my left foot right beside the heel. I think I might have some plantar fasciitis going on. When I wake up in the morning and first walk, the bottom of my foot where my arch and heel meet hurts. It works itself out after walking around some, but about every morning it does it.

Live on the beach in Florida, bite me.

I started walking a lot when we moved on the beach a couple months back and I am losing a lot of weight. I am now walking 60 minutes close to 6-7 days a week. If I miss it's only because the weather was rainy.

Sounds lame but I feel an obligation with the weather and where I am to get out and enjoy this. I know many of you wish you could hike and walk year round in some of those frozen tundra places.

Weight has been coming down steadily, feels great. I have a lot more to shed, 6 foot 2 and trying to get down under 200.

My next thing is to start taking pictures. Where I am at now is North Palm Beach and we have natural looking beaches, just beautiful. Miami Beach is nice but man has helped it along over the years. The natural beaches along the Treasure Coast remind me of Hawaii.

I was looking for this thread because Mr krista and I were discussing where to go for our anniversary and his 40th bday in May. Of all the things we discussed, bigbottom's R2R2R Grand Canyon trip was the most appealing, but we appear to be too late to make any lodging plans for this May (no surprise).

I'm hoping that bigbottom or anyone could help with how logistically we could do a one-way R2R instead? I assume South to North would be the best way to go, especially at that time, but I'm struggling with how you deal with your crap and getting back to it, or sending it forward, if you're only going one way. :help: ?
Mr. K is still a pup. I just turned 50 yesterday. My friend in the pic I posted turns 50 next week, and we are celebrating our birthdays this weekend with some people. We were roommates in college. Her husband was a roommate also. When we went hiking at Grandfather in December, I was like a mountain goat (although my arthritic knees popped coming down the mtn), and she moved at a slower pace. She forgot her hiking boots, and her hiking shoes weren't helping her much with her iffy ankles on the rocky terrain. I think she was also feeling the effects of all the wine we drank the night before. Every time I turned around on the mountain she would be sitting on a rock eating a snack. She is even eating yogurt in that picture. :lol: She said she was staying fueled. I about pissed myself blind from all the water I drank. I marked those trails good.

Her and her husband lived in California for 20+ years and moved back to NC about 6 years ago to be closer to their aging parents (their dads have both passed). They still have a house in California they are renting out for now, and they will possibly move back after their mom's pass. Anyway, she was telling me about this group hike she went on in Yosemite a few years ago. She said it was hard and parts were scary, but she did it. Have you done any hikes at Yosemite?

She wants to hike the Appalachian Trail, and I'm all for it, but it will have to be broken up in parts and years. Based on the recent hiking pace, I think we need to start sooner vs later. :D One thing that has bothered me since my last hike is the arch area on my left foot right beside the heel. I think I might have some plantar fasciitis going on. When I wake up in the morning and first walk, the bottom of my foot where my arch and heel meet hurts. It works itself out after walking around some, but about every morning it does it.
I just went through this same thing. It started out as a pain I could deal with and after a couple months turned into me limping whenever I walked. I went to the doctor and he took a needle and injected the bottom of my heel about 12 times. Each time moving the needle from side to side for what seemed like hours. It was one of the most painful things I've ever had done to me. But, it worked great. I have yet to go back out and do a big hike, but the pain is completely gone. Hopefully it stays fixed because I'd rather not have to go through that experience again.

Although, I've been told that it's usually something that once you get, it tends to stay with you if you are over 40. :(

I just went through this same thing. It started out as a pain I could deal with and after a couple months turned into me limping whenever I walked. I went to the doctor and he took a needle and injected the bottom of my heel about 12 times. Each time moving the needle from side to side for what seemed like hours. It was one of the most painful things I've ever had done to me. But, it worked great. I have yet to go back out and do a big hike, but the pain is completely gone. Hopefully it stays fixed because I'd rather not have to go through that experience again.

Although, I've been told that it's usually something that once you get, it tends to stay with you if you are over 40. :(
What diagnosis did the doc give you that was causing the pain?

Plantar fascitiis. He didn't really do a lot of diagnosing or anything. I go to this doc for my back and during a visit told him of my foot pain. He said that's probably what it was and he could give me a shot that would take care of it if I wanted. I agreed and he did it right there. Whole thing took about 15 minutes or less.

Of course, just my luck, I just got up to walk to the bathroom at work and my arch is starting to hurt. It's like it heard me talking about it. Hopefully it goes away on its own.

Lake Mead, Mt Charleston, Zion. Las Vegas strip.If you are still going to do it wrong... Would this help?
We've been all these places other than Mt Charleston. The shuttle looks helpful - thanks. I'd still need to figure out what to do with our stuff before or after, though - I guess just hotel help.

ETA: Meh. I don't think those shuttle times work very well. I'm thinking we just plan ahead for a 2017 R2R2R instead.
How about staying in flagstaff?
Will look at it. Thanks. :thumbup:
Running R2R2R is one of my bucket list trips. Looking forward to what you find out.

I'm also looking at a 10-14 day trip dirtbagging through Colorado in July, centered around spectating the Hardrock 100 race July 15-17. I hope to get in a bunch of runs and hikes throughout the state whike living out of my car. Anyone have any suggestions on can't miss trails?
Are you going to run it all in one day, or take a break between the R2Rs? bigbottom did the R2R2R last year and is doing it again this year (and there's a thread on it that's linked in this thread, and you might enjoy reading), but with a rest day between. My plan is not to do the rest day but to have an overnight and hit the other direction on day two. Sounds like you might just turn around and do it all day one?

I have done this trip. We stayed in Flagstaff our first night and were able to find a room at Grand Canyon for our night after the hike. Have you checked all lodging? There is also a small town right outside of the GC with rooms. You should be able to find something. As far as the hike, we had someone drop us off on the North Rim.
I just looked at the spots right at the rim on each side since we will only have transport on one side. For instance, if we start South to North, we'd presumably leave our car at the South rim and would need a place to overnight at the North rim but don't have any way to get there, since the lodge right at the rim is booked.

Edit: The paragraph above assumes a R2R2R, not an R2R, as that was our initial preference. I went to R2R instead as I thought it might be easier logistically, but it doesn't appear to be.

Last edited by a moderator:

Well, I'm a lot (a lot) closer to your age than Mr. krista's age. :)

I haven't been to Yosemite since I was a kid, so it's high on our list for this year or next.

I think we're going to do Section J of the PCT this year. I couldn't possibly do the whole thing in one fell swoop given work constraints, and frankly though I think physically I could do it mentally I am not so sure I'm up for it. Section hiking should be fun for you, too. I have a friend who was going to do the whole of the AT this year but has postponed her trek to 2017.

I started walking a lot when we moved on the beach a couple months back and I am losing a lot of weight. I am now walking 60 minutes close to 6-7 days a week. If I miss it's only because the weather was rainy.

Sounds lame but I feel an obligation with the weather and where I am to get out and enjoy this. I know many of you wish you could hike and walk year round in some of those frozen tundra places.

Weight has been coming down steadily, feels great. I have a lot more to shed, 6 foot 2 and trying to get down under 200.

My next thing is to start taking pictures. Where I am at now is North Palm Beach and we have natural looking beaches, just beautiful. Miami Beach is nice but man has helped it along over the years. The natural beaches along the Treasure Coast remind me of Hawaii.
Anyone can hike year-round; it's just a question of equipment. Look forward to seeing some of your beach pictures! Our beaches are rocky - wouldn't want to lay a towel down on them but beautiful for hiking.

Plantar fascitiis. He didn't really do a lot of diagnosing or anything. I go to this doc for my back and during a visit told him of my foot pain. He said that's probably what it was and he could give me a shot that would take care of it if I wanted. I agreed and he did it right there. Whole thing took about 15 minutes or less.

Of course, just my luck, I just got up to walk to the bathroom at work and my arch is starting to hurt. It's like it heard me talking about it. Hopefully it goes away on its own.
Are you properly fitted for shoes? Are you high arched, flat foot? I am a big supporter of finding a good pair of walking/hiking shoes. They make a gigantic difference IMO.

Anyone can hike year-round; it's just a question of equipment. Look forward to seeing some of your beach pictures! Our beaches are rocky - wouldn't want to lay a towel down on them but beautiful for hiking.
My beaches are really pretty but that was an amazing picture. Those pink skies typical of sunset are gorgeous here. I just moved recently to Jupiter/Juno Beach, right on the bluffs section, amazing. I have a pier about a mile South and that makes a wonderful 30-40 minute walk. Then I add another 20-40 depending on day and where I want to go from there. Markers all up and down the beaches here have terrific wooden staircases to take you down to the beach. Where Miami you are on flat ground, here you have to walk down to the beach, reminds me of SoCal a little bit where we lived in Santa Monica and you would look down from PCH to the beach.

So nice to get a post from you. Have fun with Mr Cradle on his 40th :P

Did a backpacking trip with some buddies last summer over Piute Pass in the Eastern Sierra's. We started out at 9,300 elevation and reached just under 11,500 at the summit. Around 11 1/2 miles from trailhead to camp in Humphrey's Basin.

http://imgur.com/WzUsfRi Tomahawk Lake

http://imgur.com/FVtjcto Relaxing day fishing at Tomahawk Lake

http://imgur.com/1lhCxpb Camp. Wasn't thrilled about camping on the moon

http://imgur.com/h6gEaBp Day hike to French Canyon

http://imgur.com/IHYvl90 Glacier fed lake

http://imgur.com/h1TydSb Nice golden

http://imgur.com/1lhCxpb Camp. Wasn't thrilled about camping on the moon
I can understand that but would put up with it for something that freaking gorgeous.
Here's our campsite from September trip to The Enchantments. Kind of moonscape-y like yours but it was all sand, which sounded more comfortable until the second night when the wind was so fierce I just ate sand all night even from inside the tent.
Beautiful! Yeah, the wind can be wicked at those elevations.

We didn't have the sand problem, but I got eaten alive by mosquitoes. You would think being a good 100 yds from water and any vegetation, we'd be free from those buggers. Nope!

We didn't have the sand problem, but I got eaten alive by mosquitoes. You would think being a good 100 yds from water and any vegetation, we'd be free from those buggers. Nope!
My worst experience with camping and mosquitoes was at Ocracoke. You lose less blood giving to the Red Cross. The only thing that keeps those blood-suckers away is hurricane force winds.

krista4 said:

Lake Mead, Mt Charleston, Zion. Las Vegas strip.

If you are still going to do it wrong... Would this help?
We've been all these places other than Mt Charleston. The shuttle looks helpful - thanks. I'd still need to figure out what to do with our stuff before or after, though - I guess just hotel help.

ETA: Meh. I don't think those shuttle times work very well. I'm thinking we just plan ahead for a 2017 R2R2R instead.
Running R2R2R is one of my bucket list trips. Looking forward to what you find out.

I'm also looking at a 10-14 day trip dirtbagging through Colorado in July, centered around spectating the Hardrock 100 race July 15-17. I hope to get in a bunch of runs and hikes throughout the state whike living out of my car. Anyone have any suggestions on can't miss trails?
Are you going to run it all in one day, or take a break between the R2Rs? bigbottom did the R2R2R last year and is doing it again this year (and there's a thread on it that's linked in this thread, and you might enjoy reading), but with a rest day between. My plan is not to do the rest day but to have an overnight and hit the other direction on day two. Sounds like you might just turn around and do it all day one?
Yeah, I would like to do it in one shot, it's kind of an ultrarunner right of passage. I think Rob Krar still has the record in 6:21 and change (so ridiculous), I think the women's record is 8-something. I would just want to be in shape enough to do it in 13-15 hours or so, which would seem pretty doable based on the very limited research I've done on it. Just one of many bucket list items on my list I hope to cross off over the next 5-10 years or so.

Great pics Spock and Krista. I really want to get up in the mountains more. Hence my slowly forming Colorado plans.....

I got a GoPro for christmas and messed around with it a few weeks ago on a local Mt. Tam trail. I think it turned out ok considering it was my 2nd time taking the camera out and I had never done any editing before. Looking forward to playing around with it some more this year.

Great pics Spock and Krista. I really want to get up in the mountains more. Hence my slowly forming Colorado plans.....

I got a GoPro for christmas and messed around with it a few weeks ago on a local Mt. Tam trail. I think it turned out ok considering it was my 2nd time taking the camera out and I had never done any editing before. Looking forward to playing around with it some more this year.
Fun! This looked good. We bought a GoPro late last year and have not done nearly enough with it yet.

Duck, Give me a shout when you plan on hitting colorado. Flights are super cheap for me and I love hiking there. Would love to knock off some more 14ers.

Lake Mead, Mt Charleston, Zion. Las Vegas strip.

If you are still going to do it wrong... Would this help?

This place looks promising...

https://www.vrbo.com/446855
Just looked at this. Great-looking place with excellent reviews.

I guess the only thing to figure out would be how to get from the end of Day One trail to the house. Getting back is easier...

Ministry of Pain said:
Are you properly fitted for shoes? Are you high arched, flat foot? I am a big supporter of finding a good pair of walking/hiking shoes. They make a gigantic difference IMO.
Yup. Always wearing well supported shoes.

This sucks. Woke up this morning and my foot was hurting again. I went months without any kind of pain at all. Not to mention, I haven't hiked or done any strenuous activity on it. Then, out of the blue, the pain is back. :angry:

Went up to Oxford and hiked about 6 miles on the trails by University of Miami. Awesome weather, except for the part where the ground started to thaw and the return leg of our loop got pretty sloppy. Nice wooded hike, but not a lot of elevation changes. Would never have guessed that area was even there but the "main" hiking by on our group found it in a book called "60 hikes within 60 miles".

Downloaded the free version of Trails to my iPhone just to see what it was like. It seems pretty cool, but letting it use location services really drained the battery. It's possible the screen didn't totally go to sleep when I pocketed it though, but 50% charge in 3 hours seems excessive.

What are the better apps (free or otherwise) out there? Probably won't pop for any kind of dedicated hiking/GPS device at this point.

Yup. Always wearing well supported shoes.This sucks. Woke up this morning and my foot was hurting again. I went months without any kind of pain at all. Not to mention, I haven't hiked or done any strenuous activity on it. Then, out of the blue, the pain is back. :angry:
I broke my foot years ago. If I do a lot of steps, or stand on a few ladder rungs, or put whatever kind of weird pressure on various parts of my foot, it will get sore again. Hopefully your pain is the same; mine is always short-lived.

Rustoleum said:
Went up to Oxford and hiked about 6 miles on the trails by University of Miami. Awesome weather, except for the part where the ground started to thaw and the return leg of our loop got pretty sloppy. Nice wooded hike, but not a lot of elevation changes. Would never have guessed that area was even there but the "main" hiking by on our group found it in a book called "60 hikes within 60 miles".

Downloaded the free version of Trails to my iPhone just to see what it was like. It seems pretty cool, but letting it use location services really drained the battery. It's possible the screen didn't totally go to sleep when I pocketed it though, but 50% charge in 3 hours seems excessive.

What are the better apps (free or otherwise) out there? Probably won't pop for any kind of dedicated hiking/GPS device at this point.
Do you mean apps for tracking your mileage and elevation gain? Really none of them are terribly great, but I use a combination of MapMyHike, Strava and Gaia (the last one is not free) plus a Garmin and maps for mine. I might be a little anal about getting accurate readings. :bag: Try MayMyHike and Strava for free and see what you think.

BOOKED! Found Grand Canyon lodging close enough to make it doable, so we're doing the R2R2R (one night rest in between) starting May 13. Stoked.

Apologies, just saw this. I can't see any other way back other than arranging for a ride (I think it's a 4+ hour drive). I have to think there are services that do this for folks. For our group, even though we're going both ways, we still have a couple designated van drivers follow us both treks. When we hike across, we only carry what we need for the hike that one direction.

BOOKED! Found Grand Canyon lodging close enough to make it doable, so we're doing the R2R2R (one night rest in between) starting May 13. Stoked.
Should have kept reading! That is awesome!!!

For what it's worth, when you get to the trail head at the North Rim, you may be able to bum a ride to your lodging. Not sure how much further you have to walk.

Unfortunately, we're not there for two more weeks so we won't see you. But I'm anxious to hear your report. For experienced hikers like you, it won't be the most beautiful hike, and it likely won't be the most strenuous. It's certainly not anywhere near the most technical. Still, it was such an amazing experience for me, but perhaps that was because I was (am) a hiking novice/neophyte. I don't think so however, as we have some very experienced hikers in our group, and they just absolutely love the experience of the R2R2R. There is just something about it.

I'm really excited for you - good luck!

I haven't been to Yosemite since I was a kid, so it's high on our list for this year or next.

I think we're going to do Section J of the PCT this year. I couldn't possibly do the whole thing in one fell swoop given work constraints, and frankly though I think physically I could do it mentally I am not so sure I'm up for it. Section hiking should be fun for you, too. I have a friend who was going to do the whole of the AT this year but has postponed her trek to 2017.
The PCT will be beautiful. I would like to hike that at some point in my life. I saw my friend this weekend that did the hike in Yosemite, and she said it was the Half Dome hike that she and her husband did.

Awesome!!!

I will miss you by a few days, our Havasu hike is May 7-10.

The rim to rim hike I did is still the highlight of my hiking life. I did it for my 40th birthday.

For what it's worth, when you get to the trail head at the North Rim, you may be able to bum a ride to your lodging. Not sure how much further you have to walk.

Unfortunately, we're not there for two more weeks so we won't see you. But I'm anxious to hear your report. For experienced hikers like you, it won't be the most beautiful hike, and it likely won't be the most strenuous. It's certainly not anywhere near the most technical. Still, it was such an amazing experience for me, but perhaps that was because I was (am) a hiking novice/neophyte. I don't think so however, as we have some very experienced hikers in our group, and they just absolutely love the experience of the R2R2R. There is just something about it.

I guess it is subjective but I will disagree with you. The GC is very beautiful and is the most beautiful hike I have ever done. I am partial to desert landscape though.

We did a short 6 mile hike in Sabino Canyon yesterday. There was water flowing and the weather was perfect for it. I love hiking the trails in this canyon but it has become so popular that it is like parking at disney land and I am no fan of the tram they have shuttling tourists around. Once you get away from the pavement and the tourists it is truly a special place.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Sabino+Canyon&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwio1-XZqtXKAhVKyGMKHehWBiIQsAQIQQ&biw=1366&bih=630

I'm so glad you popped up in the thread! I was going to PM you if I didn't see you in here. I might have some questions for you and prosopis along the way, if you guys don't mind. The only question I have right now - and I'm sure I could search and find this on the innerwebz - is the water availability. I seem to remember your saying you didn't have to take much water along because there were (man-made?) water sources along the way. Is this right? Guess I just need to find myself a good map of these.

I really wished we could join when you were going later in May, but we're heading to Alaska on May 29 and just couldn't make the later dates work as a result. Maybe we'll love it and join your group next year if still welcome. :)

We are actually doing North to South to North because it was in one of the hotels in the Grand Canyon Village by the south rim that I was able to find a place to stay. Not anything fancy or even particularly nice, but it was available. It is apparently about a mile to the hotel, and at worst we'll just walk an extra mile.

Awesome!!!

The rim to rim hike I did is still the highlight of my hiking life. I did it for my 40th birthday.
Oh, so funny you did the R2R for your 40th, too!

I guess the FBG will be dominating the Grand Canyon area in May. :)

The PCT will be beautiful. I would like to hike that at some point in my life. I saw my friend this weekend that did the hike in Yosemite, and she said it was the Half Dome hike that she and her husband did.
Oh wow, Half Dome. That would be so cool.

Anyone have recommendations for freeze dried food?
We use Mountain House and think some of them are pretty good. There's probably better stuff out there. Best is making your own, which we really should do but haven't. There are some good websites out there with lots of recipes for making some of your own.

I'm so glad you popped up in the thread! I was going to PM you if I didn't see you in here. I might have some questions for you and prosopis along the way, if you guys don't mind. The only question I have right now - and I'm sure I could search and find this on the innerwebz - is the water availability. I seem to remember your saying you didn't have to take much water along because there were (man-made?) water sources along the way. Is this right? Guess I just need to find myself a good map of these.

I really wished we could join when you were going later in May, but we're heading to Alaska on May 29 and just couldn't make the later dates work as a result. Maybe we'll love it and join your group next year if still welcome. :)

We are actually doing North to South to North because it was in one of the hotels in the Grand Canyon Village by the south rim that I was able to find a place to stay. Not anything fancy or even particularly nice, but it was available. It is apparently about a mile to the hotel, and at worst we'll just walk an extra mile.

Awesome!!!

The shuttles on the south rim will take you to your hotel. At least they did 10 years ago when I did it. I remember the shuttle well as my kid who was 11 or 12 at the time passed out the second we sat down in the shuttle. He crashed so fast and hard that he hit the window with his head. It scared the #### out of me, I thought I had killed our kid. He was just really tired and was fine after some sleep and food.

Awesome!!!

The shuttles on the south rim will take you to your hotel. At least they did 10 years ago when I did it. I remember the shuttle well as my kid who was 11 or 12 at the time passed out the second we sat down in the shuttle. He crashed so fast and hard that he hit the window with his head. It scared the #### out of me, I thought I had killed our kid. He was just really tired and was fine after some sleep and food.
I shouldn't, but :lmao:

Should have kept reading! That is awesome!!!For what it's worth, when you get to the trail head at the North Rim, you may be able to bum a ride to your lodging. Not sure how much further you have to walk.

I guess it is subjective but I will disagree with you. The GC is very beautiful and is the most beautiful hike I have ever done. I am partial to desert landscape though.
:thumbup:

I need to get my ### in gear and start training! It's not like I hike year round like some people.

Users who are viewing this thread