What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Thomas Rawls, RB, CMU/Seahawks (3 Viewers)

Flint Fireballs!

Footballguy
So, I figure, with him appearing to make the team, Robert Turbin getting released, and reports that Christine Michael is being shopped, he deserved his own thread. With Beast Mode and Fred Jackson in front of him, he's pretty clearly a longshot to produce this season, but what about the future? He's the only reasonably young back now on the roster. What are his prospects?

massraider said:
He's apparently better than Michaels, so I'm projecting about a 70-page thread.
He wasn't picked in the second round. Hype will never reach Michael's.

Last edited by a moderator:
ImTheScientist said:
I'm starting to think they have their sights set on drafting a RB two years from now and keeping lynch around this year and next if he will play.
This.

http://www.thenewstr...le34263228.html

Thought this was worth sharing:

Excerpt:

There are three big winners to the Seattle Seahawks’ trade of Christine Michael.

Marshawn Lynch. His good pal Fred Jackson.

And Thomas Rawls.

---
And don’t underestimate what they think of Rawls, either.

The undrafted rookie free agent played three seasons at Michigan and a final one at Central Michigan last year. He was unlikely to clear waivers in the period that ended Sunday and get onto Seattle’s practice squad. Not after he rushed for 87 yards behind a second- and third-team line Thursday night in Seattle’s exhibition finale against Oakland to cap an impressive preseason of hard running and breaking tackles.

But this was about more than Rawls avoiding waivers. The trade of Michael and putting Turbin on injured reserve shows the Seahawks want to have Rawls under club contract control for years — not so much for now but for when Lynch decides he’s done playing.

The 5-foot-9, 215-pound, power-packed Rawls was a much-hyped, all-state back in high school out of Flint, Michigan. He rushed for 333 yards in three seasons at the University of Michigan before he transferred in 2013 as a graduate to Central Michigan. At CMU in 2014 he romped for 1,103 yards and 10 touchdowns in nine games.

In June, Seahawks coach Pete Carroll talked about Rawls more than head coaches of Super Bowl teams usually talk about undrafted free-agent runners who played nine games in the Mid-American Conference the previous college season.

“I’ve studied Thomas a lot and I love his style of running,” Carroll said. “He’s really a head-knocker. He really goes after guys. When you get to see him with the pads on you’ll see how physical he is.

“He had play after play in college of just smacking people and running and breaking tackle. He’s showed very good feet and caught the ball well. He’s going to be a very willing blocker and he was a real bright spot. He really jumped out at us, knowing that his most exciting dimension hasn’t even been seen yet. ... It will be really fun to see him when we start playing ball.”

Read more here: http://www.thenewstr...l#storylink=cpy

He looked good in college but he was a manster among MAC boys after he transferred to my alma mater.

I got a good chuckle out of this butchered paragraph from his Wikipedia page this morning:

On September 13, 2014, Rawls was held out of a game against Syracuse for unknown reasons. It surfaced on September 15, 2014, that Rawls had 3 felony charges against him stemming from a crime committed in April while at Michigan, he was the only one out of other parties involved coorperated with detectives, he never went in bag or used card. Rawls thought incident was handled. 5 months later when he started making noise at CMU charges including larceny theft of a purse and two counts of stealing credit cards other parties never turned themselves in. Rawls was later reinstated after missing two games. He didn't get charged with felonies and Judge took him off probation after few months.

He looked good in college but he was a manster among MAC boys after he transferred to my alma mater.

I got a good chuckle out of this butchered paragraph from his Wikipedia page this morning:

On September 13, 2014, Rawls was held out of a game against Syracuse for unknown reasons. It surfaced on September 15, 2014, that Rawls had 3 felony charges against him stemming from a crime committed in April while at Michigan, he was the only one out of other parties involved coorperated with detectives, he never went in bag or used card. Rawls thought incident was handled. 5 months later when he started making noise at CMU charges including larceny theft of a purse and two counts of stealing credit cards other parties never turned themselves in. Rawls was later reinstated after missing two games. He didn't get charged with felonies and Judge took him off probation after few months.
Character concerns?

Vague, fawning articles by non-credible bloggers?

So good they traded Michael for a bag of day-old bread?

Man, that sounds like a guy with a lot of........you guessed it: UPSIDE. Awwww yeah, this guy has some upside.

I really like his upside. FJax doesn't have this kind of upside.

I like this guy better as a long term stash than Woodhead because Woodhead doesn't have Rawls'......UPSIDE!!!!!

From the little I have seen of him, he runs hard and doesn't shy from contact. I like to call him baby Lynch.

I am picking him up in a Dynasty league.

Per Rotoworld:

The Seahawks plan to test Marshawn Lynch's ailing calf on Saturday.
Listed as questionable, Lynch was held out of Friday's practice after participating on a "limited" basis Thursday. Lynch finished out last week's loss to the Packers, but coach Pete Carroll said the injury was sustained in that game. "He's got a calf that we're working on," Carroll said. "We've been able to condition him some, but we just wanted to make sure and take care of him during the week. He'll run tomorrow, and we'll see if he's OK. It'll go all the way to game day on this one." If Lynch is ruled inactive, ESPN Seahawks reporter Sheil Kapadia believes Fred Jackson and UDFA Thomas Rawls would "split" the workload against the Bears.Sep 25 - 7:25 PM

Thoughts on this kid if Lynch is a no go?
I think he will get a lot of looks, perfect time to see what he can do against starters. He had a nice pre-season and looked good enough to get rid of Turbin and Michael. With that being said, he has 2 rushes for 5 yards so far.

When you say he will get a lot of touches if Lynch is out, do you think it will be an even split with Fred Jackson? Trying to decide between Fred and Bilal.

groin pains said:
Thoughts on this kid if Lynch is a no go?
I watched him quite a bit locally and in the preseason. He's a physical runner and jumped off the screen to me as legit. I don't see a big work load though so temper your enthusiasm for this week no matter what. FJAX will get the majority of touches but I could see Rawls getting 8-10 with a TD possibility.

I was discussing Tyler Lockett in another thread and we got into a side discussion about the state of the Seattle running game. Figured this was better posted in this thread.

I must say, Rawls was impressive yesterday. Perhaps Seattle already has a Lynch successor on the roster. Part of my thought process on Lockett was that it will be very difficult to replace Lynch without a dropoff in the effectiveness of the running game. It's a tiny sample for Rawls, but it seems a bit more possible to me today than before the game that Seattle can sustain the running game without Lynch.

Thoughts?
Can Rawls be a Lynch replacement? Possibly, but unlikely. And at the same time, its probably not fair in assessing Rawls this way. Lynch brings quite a few intangibles to the table that few NFL stars possess. I don't think it's a stretch to say that Lynch is the "heart" of the Seattle offense similar to how Chancellor is the heart of the Seattle defense. However, it might be that the team can find some of those intangibles in other players. Maybe Lockett can be that kind of guy long term like we've seen with Steve Smith through the years. Again, likely not fair to judge a young player this way.

My first thought was Rawls had a bad drop in this weekend's game. Perfect pass from Wilson into the flat goes through Rawl's hands hitting him in the chest/gut, then the ground. Lynch is an excellent receiver. Much better than I think people have given him credit for. Very sure handed and able to make tough catches. He just hasn't been asked to do that much of it. That said, when given the opportunity its imperative that he execute. Rawls didn't on Sunday, and that was a bad sign. Only one data point, but not a good one.

Second thought was that Rawls made this team by running hard. He's a fighter in the same spirit as Lynch. Won't be surprised if Rawls gets a chance to push piles in the same way, but he may not have the same balance as Lynch. Lost count of the number of times that Lynch has kept his feel under him in a pile and just waited for a group of lineman to come push him forward. Some of this is Tom Cable's influence on the team.

Final thought is wheels. Lynch is faster that he gets credit for similar to his hands. He just looks funny because he runs with such a wide bow-leged base, but when opportunity presents itself he can accelerate. Rawls? Not sure, and only time will tell.

Wish I could say something more definitive, but really the jury is still out. Making this more complex is a lot of those yards this past weekend were against an emotionally defeated Bears defense late in the game. Tough to say. I guess there's a last tid-bit I can leave you with that's a positive for Rawls. Rawls was a "Pete Carroll" guy. Carroll wanted him enough that they almost spent a draft pick on him (LINK to Monday Carroll press conference notes). I trust Pete's gut after having watched the team closely over these past few years. Pete knows it when he sees it. Enough so that they cast Turbin and Michael out of town.

I was discussing Tyler Lockett in another thread and we got into a side discussion about the state of the Seattle running game. Figured this was better posted in this thread.

I must say, Rawls was impressive yesterday. Perhaps Seattle already has a Lynch successor on the roster. Part of my thought process on Lockett was that it will be very difficult to replace Lynch without a dropoff in the effectiveness of the running game. It's a tiny sample for Rawls, but it seems a bit more possible to me today than before the game that Seattle can sustain the running game without Lynch.

Thoughts?
Can Rawls be a Lynch replacement? Possibly, but unlikely. And at the same time, its probably not fair in assessing Rawls this way. Lynch brings quite a few intangibles to the table that few NFL stars possess. I don't think it's a stretch to say that Lynch is the "heart" of the Seattle offense similar to how Chancellor is the heart of the Seattle defense. However, it might be that the team can find some of those intangibles in other players. Maybe Lockett can be that kind of guy long term like we've seen with Steve Smith through the years. Again, likely not fair to judge a young player this way.

My first thought was Rawls had a bad drop in this weekend's game. Perfect pass from Wilson into the flat goes through Rawl's hands hitting him in the chest/gut, then the ground. Lynch is an excellent receiver. Much better than I think people have given him credit for. Very sure handed and able to make tough catches. He just hasn't been asked to do that much of it. That said, when given the opportunity its imperative that he execute. Rawls didn't on Sunday, and that was a bad sign. Only one data point, but not a good one.

Second thought was that Rawls made this team by running hard. He's a fighter in the same spirit as Lynch. Won't be surprised if Rawls gets a chance to push piles in the same way, but he may not have the same balance as Lynch. Lost count of the number of times that Lynch has kept his feel under him in a pile and just waited for a group of lineman to come push him forward. Some of this is Tom Cable's influence on the team.

Final thought is wheels. Lynch is faster that he gets credit for similar to his hands. He just looks funny because he runs with such a wide bow-leged base, but when opportunity presents itself he can accelerate. Rawls? Not sure, and only time will tell.

Wish I could say something more definitive, but really the jury is still out. Making this more complex is a lot of those yards this past weekend were against an emotionally defeated Bears defense late in the game. Tough to say. I guess there's a last tid-bit I can leave you with that's a positive for Rawls. Rawls was a "Pete Carroll" guy. Carroll wanted him enough that they almost spent a draft pick on him (LINK to Monday Carroll press conference notes). I trust Pete's gut after having watched the team closely over these past few years. Pete knows it when he sees it. Enough so that they cast Turbin and Michael out of town.
Good post. Yes, I agree that he probably doesn't have the balance Lynch has, because who does? Lynch has a truly unique running style.

It was the bolded part that really impressed me on Sunday. That seems like something people either have or they don't, and he has it. I don't think it can be taught. This is from his NFL draft profile:

STRENGTHS If you don't bring it to him, he will bring it to you. Powerful beyond his size with strong legs and outstanding balance at and beyond contact. Able to absorb contact on legs with defenders bouncing off. Coils into a ball of power and explodes into tacklers with cocked hip and low pad level to finish his run with a message being sent. Competes hard on every run with jump cuts and lateral shiftiness in the hole to go with his power. Sudden runner with ability to make sharp, decisive cuts. Can plant and go with immediate burst downhill or bounce to perimeter in search of new opportunities. Has desired foot quickness and hip fluidity. Has above-average vision and feel for the changing shape of running lanes. Hands are good enough to factor in passing game.

BOTTOM LINE Compact, powerful running back who runs just as powerfully on his 35th carry (back-to-back games of 40 carries) as he does to start the game. While he finishes with brute force, he possesses the vision and lateral movement of a finesse runner. He is more than capable of handling a starter's workload in the NFL, and had Purdue's safeties ready to tap out by the end of that game last season. His character must be vetted carefully, but the tools and the talent are those of a league starter.
That sounds a lot like Lynch. And note the comment about his hands. Also, regarding speed, he ran a 4.42 and 4.5 per that draft profile. I believe Lynch ran a 4.52 at the combine, so speed shouldn't be an issue between them.

I'm in the process of trying to decide how much BB $ I want to bid on him, and the thing that keeps pushing that number upwards is the fact that the Seahawks were willing to clear the backfield in front of him right before the season. They shipped a former second round pick, and a back who had been in the system for a few years and was trusted, right before the season and left Rawls and a 71yr old FJax behind Lynch.

Homers, am I overthinking this? Or is this team really this confident in Rawls, and does Rawls look like he could step in for Lynch and be a productive replacement if it were needed?

I'm in the process of trying to decide how much BB $ I want to bid on him, and the thing that keeps pushing that number upwards is the fact that the Seahawks were willing to clear the backfield in front of him right before the season. They shipped a former second round pick, and a back who had been in the system for a few years and was trusted, right before the season and left Rawls and a 71yr old FJax behind Lynch.

Homers, am I overthinking this? Or is this team really this confident in Rawls, and does Rawls look like he could step in for Lynch and be a productive replacement if it were needed?
I am debating this as well. Leaning toward a high bid.

ETA: dynasty.

fyi FJax is not 71.

Agreed, Lynch may miss a couple games but will come back making this a 3 headed monster at best with Lynch being lead dog. I believe I read Lynch is signed through next year?

What are the odds of Lynch retiring after the season? If the Seahawks regress this season and don't seem in the conversation for SB 2016? He does have a penchant for doing the unexpected and already admitted to considering retirement in the off-season.

What are the odds of Lynch retiring after the season? If the Seahawks regress this season and don't seem in the conversation for SB 2016? He does have a penchant for doing the unexpected and already admitted to considering retirement in the off-season.
20%

Calf injuries and running back are not a good combo to have.

I'm glad I read this thread noon on Sunday. Nice last second pickup. :thumbup:

Lynch is a tough mofo, so I don't expect that Rawls will start this weekend.

That said, he's a good stash-and-hold in case of a more serious injury for Lynch, or perhaps next year for dynasty purposes.

Was able to grab him in my dynasty with a mid-level waiver pick. Was very surprised he fell. Granted it was against the Bears, but he did look good and was used extensively. Might be worth a spot start this year, and could be the starter next.

Moving Turbin and Christine sends a pretty clear message that SEA has plenty of confidence in Rawls especially given Lynch's age. I'm not saying that he'll put up Lynch like numbers if given the chance, but I expect productivity if Lynch misses time. Seems like Rawls has already passed FJax, though a closer game might reveal otherwise. I tend to read more than I should into organizations decisions, but as the only back on SEA under 29, I like the tea leaves on Rawls.

I'm a little surprised he's available in almost any dynasty league; must be shorter benches or 10 teamers? Chicago might not be the best measuring stick but he sure runs hard; he's probably worth an add in all formats in case the Lynch injury lingers.

I'm a little surprised he's available in almost any dynasty league; must be shorter benches or 10 teamers? Chicago might not be the best measuring stick but he sure runs hard; he's probably worth an add in all formats in case the Lynch injury lingers.
I was surprised a few weeks ago when I nabbed him for $1.00. It was obvious that after they turned Turbin and Michael loose that he had Seattle's confidence.

there it is...

@AdamSchefter 46s

46 seconds ago
Seahawks RB Marshawn Lynch is dealing with a hamstring injury that, according to source, makes him “50-50” to play Monday against Detroit.
Unfortunately, MNF makes it a tough call in terms of potentially starting Rawls.
Also the Seahwaks having a losing record are more likely to force Lynch into action. If they were 2-1 or 3-0 I could see them much more willing to give Beastmode some rest, especially with their bye a good distance away.

there it is...

@AdamSchefter 46s

46 seconds ago

Seahawks RB Marshawn Lynch is dealing with a hamstring injury that, according to source, makes him 50-50 to play Monday against Detroit.
Unfortunately, MNF makes it a tough call in terms of potentially starting Rawls.
Also the Seahwaks having a losing record are more likely to force Lynch into action. If they were 2-1 or 3-0 I could see them much more willing to give Beastmode some rest, especially with their bye a good distance away.
Which could mean Lynch aggravates it putting him on the shelf longer. Either way, Monday will be interesting for Rawls.

not a great matchup vs. the Lions anyway. Way different than running against the Bears at home. Don't see much for Rawls either way. Lynch not a great play either if he goes methinks.

not a great matchup vs. the Lions anyway. Way different than running against the Bears at home. Don't see much for Rawls either way. Lynch not a great play either if he goes methinks.
The Lions are 20th against the run and 25th against the pass. Plus given the Lions' offensive struggles in sustaining drives, I think it's actually a good matchup - at least on paper - for either Lynch or Rawls.

NO ONE claimed him in my competitive 14tm dynasty league. I grabbed him first thing this morning. Hoping I can get something good from the Lynch owner.

Users who are viewing this thread