What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Official Kicker (K) Thread (3 Viewers)

SaintsInDome2006

Footballguy
Since it looks like Mr. Herman is no longer posting here: I'd like to point out I considered it one of the cool things about FBGs that they covered every single detail of FF even the kickers and I hope this feature returns in some way. I can think of at least a couple occasions where Herman's threads helped me personally win, and in general almost every year I have felt like I was a couple weeks ahead of my competitors on finding top-5 kickers, which is a really fluid position. In the meantime, I thought I would create a thread for anyone who wants to talk kickers for this year.

I can tell you Zach Hocker won the job in New Orleans and Josh Lambo has won the job in San Diego.

Hocker looked good in preseason and I think he upset Dustin Hopkins, who was the favorite coming into training camp. They both kicked well, Hocker just won the job, he has a good leg and could generate some 50+ kicks. Indoor home venue, good offense, you could do worse for a WW kicker earlier in the year.

If anyone knows of any new kicker changes in the NFL please post them here. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does it just seem like it or has there been a lot more changes at kicker this year than in previous years? It's hard to keep up.

Does it just seem like it or has there been a lot more changes at kicker this year than in previous years? It's hard to keep up.
Yh I was thinking the same earlier.....There has been a lot going on where kickers are concerned. Maybe the new XP rules just made things a bit more interesting.

Maybe one of these years I will wait until after the final cut to pick up my kicker. Grabbed Sturgis and Novak last week in a couple Dynasty leagues :wall:

Took a shot on Lambo last round of the draft. Was impressed how he hit the ball in preseason and when I saw him a little bit at Texas A&M. Pretty good offense, nice weather usually, good athlete and a pretty strong leg from what I've seen/read.

I think all the kicker changes is just a sign of what all fantasy footballers already know: kickers are replaceable.

Big names getting cut, usually replaced by a younger guy who has equal/better skill, yet costs a whole lot less. I'm not saying it's easy to kick a field goal because I probably couldn't do it. But at the NFL level? Shouldn't all of these guys pretty much be automatic?

I like the kicker in New Orleans and in Miami. Will probably look to go that route come Wednesday night.

Josh Brown's been converting around 90% for years now, and that offense going into year two with a better roster of weapons AND no defense is going to be silly prolific. I've been pretty much auto-selecting him any time circumstance has led me to wait till the last round on a K. There seems to be no market for him in FF, and I see no reason he shouldn't be in the top third of K producers week-in, week-out. :shrug:

After seeing Oakland's improved ability to move the ball, but not capitalize in the red zone, I've become pretty interested in Janikowski again.

How do you guys feel about Brandon McManus (Den)?
Own him & don't feel good about it. Denver the last few years has passed up a lot of long range FGs to go for it on fourth & short. Throw in RZ effectiveness & he may not have a ton of FGAs.

Somebody up thread said just pick a dome kicker on a high scoring team. Doesn't really seem like the path to differentiation. I used to be a "I'm not giving him a home unless he's a K in a dome" theory advocate until I started to realize in and of itself that's not a PPG advantage. Walsh and Zuerlein have tremendous leg strength and kick in domes but on crappy offenses they're not worth much.

High scoring teams tend to convert drives into 7 instead of settling for 3.

I think a team like Detroit is a good choice, but Prater probably isn't on your wire. I also like Catanzaro as a solid guy who will be kicking in domes or good weather a lot. With a team that relies on a great defense they might be more inclined to kick a lot of FGs. And he probably didn't get drafted in your league.

You want a kicker that is attempting multiple field goals in a game than just the entire offense scoring points, of course.

First, the key to selecting a kicker is game script... kickers attempt more field goals when they are leading or tied than when they are trailing. This is where you look at Vegas' point spread and over/under.

Second, it would be a good idea to target a kicker on a team with a good quarterback who can move the ball down the field, or target a kicker whose team is facing poor passing defenses.

I'll usually just stream kickers

How do you guys feel about Brandon McManus (Den)?
Own him & don't feel good about it. Denver the last few years has passed up a lot of long range FGs to go for it on fourth & short. Throw in RZ effectiveness & he may not have a ton of FGAs.

Somebody up thread said just pick a dome kicker on a high scoring team. Doesn't really seem like the path to differentiation. I used to be a "I'm not giving him a home unless he's a K in a dome" theory advocate until I started to realize in and of itself that's not a PPG advantage. Walsh and Zuerlein have tremendous leg strength and kick in domes but on crappy offenses they're not worth much.

High scoring teams tend to convert drives into 7 instead of settling for 3.

I think a team like Detroit is a good choice, but Prater probably isn't on your wire. I also like Catanzaro as a solid guy who will be kicking in domes or good weather a lot. With a team that relies on a great defense they might be more inclined to kick a lot of FGs. And he probably didn't get drafted in your league.
Catanzaro has a great leg and put up consistent if unspectacular points.

Tick said:
Quick ranking of recent PK job winners:

Scobee PIT

Franks MIA

Hocker NOS

Lambo SDC

Brindza TBB

Myers JAC

Coons CLE
Scobee is a vet on a great offense but the downside is Pitt has perhaps the worst kicking stadium in the league.

drafted prater in the last round of my draft, have a feeling the lions will struggle in the red zone but the clincher was his schedule, last 6 games of the season are all in domes.

I'm surprised to see Hocker beat out Hopkins in NO. Hopkins seemed to be outplaying him, by all accounts that I read. I wouldn't be shocked if they wind up bringing in someone else and cutting Hocker too.

Tick said:
Quick ranking of recent PK job winners:

Scobee PIT

Franks MIA

Hocker NOS

Lambo SDC

Brindza TBB

Myers JAC

Coons CLE
Scobee is a vet on a great offense but the downside is Pitt has perhaps the worst kicking stadium in the league.
And he's terrible, I could see him missing a couple and being replaced
35th all-time in percentage, 21st among active kickers. You're probably right.

What about Greg "The Leg" in STL? Best defense they have ever fielded, in a dome on an offense that will likely stall a bunch around redzone. Plus dude can kick it 60 just as good or better than the top tier.

What about Greg "The Leg" in STL? Best defense they have ever fielded, in a dome on an offense that will likely stall a bunch around redzone. Plus dude can kick it 60 just as good or better than the top tier.
He's usually in the bottom third of attempts and two of his three seasons he's been at 80% or worse. Big leg, without question, but when it comes right down to it he's JAG.

@mikerodak: The Bills worked out free-agent kicker Billy Cundiff on Monday, a source told @JFowlerESPN. Rex Ryan has been frustrated with Dan Carpenter.

This seems like a mistake

I grabbed Lambo to cover week 1 at least. Is Nick Novak worth holding on to?
Of course not.
:rolleyes: Free agent K Nick Novak will work out for the Saints on Tuesday.
Novak, 34, was surprisingly cut by the Chargers in favor of UDFA Josh Lambo. The Saints currently have inexperienced Zach Hocker as their kicker.
Novak's accuracy (which has been steller for most of his tenure in San Diego), along with ideal dome conditions and that high octane offense could setup a monster year.

Going with Brown week 1. Should be high scoring enough of a game to get me points, he is accurate and I don't see the Giants being one of the teams experimenting with going for 2. I hate going with one of these new guys. We saw what happened with the Lions rookie K last year. The guy couldn't make a kick to save his life and killed fantasy owners.

any word on novak in NO? I've got Hocker for now. May just pick up Bullock or Walsh for this week and see how the saints work this out.

Hadn't Novak had some injuries the last couple of years. Snagged him up when I heard he was working out for NO but is unsigned. Perhaps he has deteriated.

I think part of it might be that waiting until after week 1 to make a move means you don't have to guarantee their salaries for the season. I could see Novak landing somewhere in the next couple of weeks. Can't imagine he's not one of the top 32 Ks out there

Scobee must be looking over his shoulder
I think he saved his job with the last couple. At least for another week, but he's on a short leash now. Anyone know the story with the holder? Did he say something or did they see that he held it wrong? Not sure why he was pulled.

Users who are viewing this thread