What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Official Kicker (K) Thread (1 Viewer)

Am I missing something here? Looks like he was 2/3 with FGs of 21 yds and 39 yds.
He missed one from 53. Yeah not special stats and actually I'm not so sure his numbers at Ga St were so great either (they weren't). People around here are mystified about what happened. But in an attempt to make sense of it all I can say is that he had what the Saints thought was an impressive tryout including one made over 50, missed 2 over 50, made all other 9, IIRC. I think his pro day at Ga St he made one from 61 and one of his misses at his tryout was from 59. One other aspect is his kick offs are supposedly very good and it would not surprise me if the stronger leg and the defensive advantage are what mattered to Payton. Otherwise I can't explain a whole offseason of battling out two kickers only to cut them both including the winner without a moment's notice.

Last edited by a moderator:
He missed one from 53. Yeah not special stats and actually I'm not so sure his numbers at Ga St were so great either (they weren't). People around here are mystified about what happened. But in an attempt to make sense of it all I can say is that he had what the Saints thought was an impressive tryout including one made over 50, missed 2 over 50, made all other 9, IIRC. I think his pro day at Ga St he made one from 61 and one of his misses at his tryout was from 59. One other aspect is his kick offs are supposedly very good and it would not surprise me if the stronger leg and the defensive advantage are what mattered to Payton. Otherwise I can't explain a whole offseason of battling out two kickers only to cut them both including the winner without a moment's notice.
Yeah, I had Forbath in a few leagues, and figured that was it.  I just don't know enough about Lutz to swap him for Forbath.  I'll just have to fish for another kicker.

One other aspect is his kick offs are supposedly very good and it would not surprise me if the stronger leg and the defensive advantage are what mattered to Payton. 
I thought they changed the rule this year and that touchbacks on kickoff's come out to the 25 yard line.

Prater is my under the radar guy this year at K.  Detroit will be slinging it and if the last half of 2015 is any indication, they'll be able to move the ball and put points on the board.  With the loss of Calvin and a questionable ground game, I think they'll be settling for 3's on a frequent basis.  
He is gonna have a good look in INdy with all their CBs out

I thought they changed the rule this year and that touchbacks on kickoff's come out to the 25 yard line.
Based on preseason, a good kickoff is now one that lands like a punt, in play inside the 10, where the coverage team has a good chance of a tackle around the twenty, creating a five yard advantage over the touchback.

This was Sean Payton just last week (9/2):

[SIZE=12pt]Has anything changed in the way you look at the touchback rule since we last talked during training camp?[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]“No, I don’t think it has. I think if you took preseason returns I’m sure they are up. I think Week One there going to be up, week Two they we’ll be up, at the midway point of the season there will be more returns and at the end of the season with the current rules there will be more returns. I think that teams philosophically all feel like they can all cover a kick inside 25 yards. We’re in that number and I think it doesn’t put added pressure on the kicker, but I think that location of dropping a kick down at the goal line, you saw a few that were minus two, minus one is going to create more opportunities and more coverage opportunities.”[/SIZE]
Weirdly enough the NFL may have created an incentive for more kickoff returns. From what I've heard the Saints want better coverage and starting position. Supposedly Lutz handled all the KOs for the Ravens in PS game 1 and all went to the goal line, which apparently is the key now if they're high enough to generate a short return. Baltimore has an excellent ST & defensive reputation and apparently Lutz was recommended. Oddly enough the Saints just played the Ravens last week, the night before Payton made his comments.

Overall he had a 68% FG made in college, pretty much not great so I'm just trying to make sense of the change.

Then again last year this time the Saints had no kickers on the roster. They went with Hocker and he was not good. I don't think anyone should pick up Lutz until he shows he's dependable.

Based on preseason, a good kickoff is now one that lands like a punt, in play inside the 10, where the coverage team has a good chance of a tackle around the twenty, creating a five yard advantage over the touchback.
True but still taking the risk of a big runback also. Preseason they are all going to try stuff to practice it but regular season they may go back to playing it safe.

Fwiw Lutz IMO looked good yesterday. His leg was very good, he missed from 50 and 60 but they were basically strong FGAs which were just slightly off the mark.

Blair Walsh missed (yanked) three kicks and was still tied for most fantasy points last week with Dan Bailey in my league. 

I thought that was funny.  I dropped him last minute for Vinateri.

Blair Walsh missed (yanked) three kicks and was still tied for most fantasy points last week with Dan Bailey in my league. 

I thought that was funny.  I dropped him last minute for Vinateri.
Is his job in danger? Robbie Gould is still available. 

So far the Steelers have allowed only 1 TD in 7 RZ appearances by WAS and CIN in the first two games.  Now, this is obviously a small sample size but it's worth watching at this point to see if an option to stream kickers VS the Steelers becomes a viable option.

He is gonna have a good look in INdy with all their CBs out
Would you consider dropping Prater for Santos?

I just noticed that after the next 2 weeks, Prater has 9 games in a row indoors: vs Eagles, Rams, Redskins, at Texans, at Vikings, vs Jaguars, Vikings, at Saints, vs Bears.  Does this make that much of a difference or just go with the better kicker regardless?

Cleveland Browns Kicker: Coaches Wanted Ex-Bear Robbie Gould, Front Office Favored Cody Parkey

Gould continues to be  :missing:

Here I was thinking that Gould was a safe pick at kicker because he was being paid well. oops.

“I know everybody will say it came down to field goals, but I’m not going to put that kind of pressure on Cody,” Jackson said. “Cody just got off a plane with us and I don’t know him as well as I know this chair right here. It was tough.”
:lmao:  I guess Hue Jackson has more in common with Clint Eastwood than I realized.

I have Vinatieri my biggest leagues, but I am extremely nervous. Any odd/early time game generally doesn't bode well for various reasons.

I am apt to just hang on to the Vin man and roll. I can get Hopkins in one league, but realistically I like rolling with the seasoned veteran, even in a questionable matchup.

TZM

So torn on Walsh. Hate being on pins and needles on every extra point.  But his situation is great.  In the dome, great defense that will keep them in every game, big leg to kick 50 yarders, etc.  Should I just accept his misses as the cost of doing business, or move to Hopkins, Josh Brown, etc?

So torn on Walsh. Hate being on pins and needles on every extra point.  But his situation is great.  In the dome, great defense that will keep them in every game, big leg to kick 50 yarders, etc.  Should I just accept his misses as the cost of doing business, or move to Hopkins, Josh Brown, etc?
This is a good question.

I don't expect the Vikings to give up on him this year but maybe those kickers are better options.if available on the wire. This is more than one season now of Walsh missing too often on short kicks like extra points, while having a higher chance than a lot of kickers of making the longer distance FG. So that depends somewhat on your scoring system as well.

Walsh also has a bye week coming up next week so I'm looking to see if there's a better projected kicker for not only week 5 but also for week 4. I typically drop and add a new kicker rather than holding one during a bye week. Is Walsh so good that he shouldn't be dropped?

I'm looking to grab a kicker in the next two weeks who has already had his bye, so I don't have to think about him ever again this season.

I miss Herman's insight, so does anyone have a recommendation out of the following?

• Caleb Sturgis - PHI
  • Cairo Santos - KC
  • Wil Lutz - NO
  • Jason Myers - JAX
They are listed in order of points to date in my league.  I was leaning Sturgis because of potential RZ stalls with the rookie QB, but now Lutz has piqued my interest.

I like Santos.  KC has alot of good ingredients for kickers.  Good defense, QB who doesnt push the ball down the field, Reid is conservative/straight forward in decision making so is alway happy to take the FG attempt rather that going for it on 4th down. He had a bunch of multi FG games last year.  Two already this year.

In fact, I'm starting him this week against the steelers in both my leagues.  Until last week PIT was a good redzone D...bend but not break kind of deal...alot of things seem to point to Santos getting alot of opportunities this week. 

I like Santos.  KC has alot of good ingredients for kickers.  Good defense, QB who doesnt push the ball down the field, Reid is conservative/straight forward in decision making so is alway happy to take the FG attempt rather that going for it on 4th down. He had a bunch of multi FG games last year.  Two already this year.

In fact, I'm starting him this week against the steelers in both my leagues.  Until last week PIT was a good redzone D...bend but not break kind of deal...alot of things seem to point to Santos getting alot of opportunities this week. 
His FG's tend to come in  bunches based on game scripts.  I hope this game is close but if Pittsburgh gets up early, we are looking at 2 points.

His FG's tend to come in  bunches based on game scripts.  I hope this game is close but if Pittsburgh gets up early, we are looking at 2 points.
Maybe. But I have seen Reid stay very conservative for too long into games in the past. Plus, Im a steeler fan so if I get a zero from him I'll be OK with it this week  :D

Calib Sturgis has silently been a pretty good kicker week to week. Available everywhere.

Never overthink the kicker. Until you've had a few margaritas.

Lambo is my pick to be this season's Boswell (a largely unnoticed guy, not one of the big names that are always at the top of the rankings, but puts up reliably reasonable numbers). Picked him up in all my leagues over the last couple weeks, and he'll be who I target for my playoff push.

Lambo is my pick to be this season's Boswell (a largely unnoticed guy, not one of the big names that are always at the top of the rankings, but puts up reliably reasonable numbers). Picked him up in all my leagues over the last couple weeks, and he'll be who I target for my playoff push.
Saw him available too this week and thought the same thing.

9 8 10 10 7 13 15

not too shabby.

Kind of scares me against Denver this week, but again. Probably shouldn't overthink it too much if his floor is 7 so far.

Saw him available too this week and thought the same thing.

9 8 10 10 7 13 15

not too shabby.

Kind of scares me against Denver this week, but again. Probably shouldn't overthink it too much if his floor is 7 so far.
Already had 13 against Denver this year, although I expect the game script to be significantly different this time around, especially since it's not in Denver. Reasonably high floor though, which is all I want want from a kicker.

Tried to make a play for Lambo in waivers and lost out to a team with a suckier record/higher priority. Have Tucker and am actually loathe to drop him and not being able to pick him up (for same reason -- losing out to a poorer team with a higher priority).

Am I crazy to drop a guy like Tucker? He's been money all year long, but in order to keep him would have to give up some key startable depth.

It is in Denver
Good call, my mistake. I like him even more then, Denver is a kicker's paradise.

Edit: I still expect to see a different game script. Kubiak back, with the OL meshing, and a full game for Booker, I expect Denver to roll this time, but SD's offense matched up against DEN's defense with the thin air may mean a lot of Lambo points. He's my boy the rest of the way.

Tried to make a play for Lambo in waivers and lost out to a team with a suckier record/higher priority. Have Tucker and am actually loathe to drop him and not being able to pick him up (for same reason -- losing out to a poorer team with a higher priority).

Am I crazy to drop a guy like Tucker? He's been money all year long, but in order to keep him would have to give up some key startable depth.
Eh I held him and might pick him up in another league. I'm essentially holding one spot for streaming bye adds & drops anyway.

This is ridiculous as who cares at this point but I really thought Succop was a good start vs Jax and he was terrific, 12 points although he missed an XP. The real point is Jax is allowing the most FPA vs kickers right now and IIRC they have given up big games in like 3 of the last 4. Keep an eye out for this matchup if you need a bye week fill-in.

Picked up Santos for this week. I really like playing kickers against the Colts. Averaging 11 pts against them this year in my league, can't spit at that production

I'm looking to grab a kicker in the next two weeks who has already had his bye, so I don't have to think about him ever again this season.

I miss Herman's insight, so does anyone have a recommendation out of the following?

• Caleb Sturgis - PHI
  • Cairo Santos - KC
  • Wil Lutz - NO
  • Jason Myers - JAX
They are listed in order of points to date in my league.  I was leaning Sturgis because of potential RZ stalls with the rookie QB, but now Lutz has piqued my interest.
I, too, miss Herman's insight.   What happened?  Where did he go?

Picked up Santos for this week. I really like playing kickers against the Colts. Averaging 11 pts against them this year in my league, can't spit at that production
Santos is a pretty clear top end play this week. There will be points in that game and it's in a dome. 

All you folk planning to hitch your wagon to Lambo, don't forget he still has an upcoming bye.

Probably wont want to keep him through that.  With the Dnver game, might be worth waiting on that playoff pickup.

Users who are viewing this thread