What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Official Kicker (K) Thread (3 Viewers)

OK, here's what I've got: 

Entrants: 

BobbyLayne Butker & Lutz  30.00  (they scored 53.9)

Arodin Elliot and Bryant. 39.7 combined FP. (37.7 - 2 point difference, damn close!)

The Captain Prater and Gould 51.6 combined points (48.9 - 2.7 point difference - also damn close!)

zftcg  Zuerlein and Koons, 45 points.- (Coons? 9.7 total. Yeesh. I think you owe me a bottle of sauce for this guess @zftcg :lol:  )

simey Boswell and Gostkowski   44 (41.5, 2.5 points off!) 

Ridcully Gould and Butker....46 combined points (67.3)

Loipz Tucker and Gostkowski: 39 points. (45.5 - pretty close!)

efactor Lutz and Gould: 44 (54.4)

TheAssassin Bryant and Gould: 37 (52.3)

otb_lifer McManu / Gano - 50 (24.4)

yellowdog Forbath and Gano 39.7 (41 - 1.3 points. Incredible.)

IHEARTFF Bailey + Walsh = 40.2 (30.8)

Long Ball Larry Lutz + Elliott = 51 (39.8)
Here's how those kickers fared: 

Lutz = 7 (15), 13.5 (16) = 20.5

Butker = 14.2 (15), 19.2 (16) = 33.4

Elliot = 10 (15), 9.3 (16) = 19.3

Bryant = 8.8 (15), 9.6 (16) = 18.4

Prater= 10 (15), 5 (16) = 15

Gould = 26.9 (15), 7 (16) = 33.9

Zuerlein = 9.7 (15),  0 (16) :doh:  = 9.7 

Koons = Koons? Who's Koons, @zftcg:sadbanana:  Coons? 0 (15), 0 (16) 

Boswell= 8 (15),  11 (16) = 19

Gostkowski = 8 (15), 14.5 (16) 22.5

Tucker = 10.7 (15), 12.3 (16) = 23

McManus  = 6 (15), 3.2 (16)  = 8.2

Gano = 7.2 (15), 9 (16) = 16.2

Forbath = 13 (15), 11.8 (16) = 24.8

Bailey  = 9.5 (15), 17.3 (16) = 26.8

Walsh = 1 (15), 3 (16) =  :sadbanana:

If you check the quote, the parenthesis at the end contains the final score of each team, and in some cases where it's close, the difference between points guessed & points scored. 

I continue to be amazed at how good some of you are at these contests - that we had 2 weeks of scoring from 2 kickers, and four (4) sharks were less than 3 points off is just incredible. 

But in the end, you had to be within 2 points of the guess, because @yellowdog was just THAT damn good, guessing Forbath and Gano 39.7, with a final from them of 41, a difference of just 1.3 points.  :shock:

Congratulations yellowdog!  :pickle:  PM me and I'll send you my website addy. Take a look at the catalog & I'll send you any 3 varieties you'd like on Tuesday!  :suds:

Last edited by a moderator:
Congratulations yellowdog!  :pickle:  PM me and I'll send you my website addy. Take a look at the catalog & I'll send you any 3 varieties you'd like on Tuesday!  :suds:
So, I got home from a weekend trip to Indiana to see my daughter and son-in-law Sunday afternoon. Waiting for me was a well packed box of 3 Lucky Dog Hot Sauces: 

Red Label - Med Sweet & Garlicky Roasted Pepper 

Year of the Dog - Thai Chile Pineapple Hot Sauce 

Brown Label - Ridiculously Tasty Mustard Chipotle Hot 

Tonight, I fried up some leftover ham and some eggs, put them in a tortilla wrap and splashed on some of the "Year of the Dog". DELICIOUS! I can't wait to try the others.

Thanks @Hot Sauce Guy!

So, I got home from a weekend trip to Indiana to see my daughter and son-in-law Sunday afternoon. Waiting for me was a well packed box of 3 Lucky Dog Hot Sauces: 

Red Label - Med Sweet & Garlicky Roasted Pepper 

Year of the Dog - Thai Chile Pineapple Hot Sauce 

Brown Label - Ridiculously Tasty Mustard Chipotle Hot 

Tonight, I fried up some leftover ham and some eggs, put them in a tortilla wrap and splashed on some of the "Year of the Dog". DELICIOUS! I can't wait to try the others.

Thanks @Hot Sauce Guy!
Woot! Glad they made it ok!  Once again, terrific prognosticating! You are the king of kickerpalooza!  :pickle:

The Chargers will let K Nick Novak become a free agent.

Per CBS' Jason La Canfora, the Bolts are open to re-signing Novak. Novak kicked for seven games in place of the released Younghoe Koo last season before landing on injured reserve with a back injury. Novak turns 37 in August.

Related: Chargers

Source: Jason La Canfora on Twitter 

Feb 22 - 4:10 PM

The Steelers have tendered restricted free agent K Chris Boswell at the second-round level.

It's worth $2.914 million. The sides will presumably work on a long-term deal. Boswell has missed just 10 field goals over the past three years.

Source: Adam Caplan on Twitter 

Mar 12 - 2:44 PM

Steelers re-signed K Chris Boswell to a one-year, $2.914 million contract.

Boswell was a restricted free agent tendered at the second-round level. The sides reportedly maintain interest in a long-term deal. The Steelers' kicker since 2015, 27-year-old Boswell has converted an elite 89.5 percent of his field goal attempts.

Source: Mark Kaboly on Twitter 

Apr 5 - 3:05 PM

Seahawks signed K Sebastian Janikowski, formerly of the Raiders, to a one-year contract.

The 40-year-old spent all of last year on injured reserve and wasn't re-signed by the Raiders, who are moving forward with Giorgio Tavecchio as their kicker. Janikowski boasts one of the strongest legs in football, though his career success rate is barely over 80 percent. Still, he should be a noticeable upgrade on Blair Walsh, who made just 21-of-29 attempts for the Seahawks last season.

Related: Raiders

Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter 

Apr 13 - 4:29 PM

Raiders coach Jon Gruden praised UDFA K Eddy Pineiro's performance at OTAs.

"We watched him kick today and he made every one," said Gruden, who said the Raiders considered drafting Pineiro in the seventh round. Fifth-round punter Johnny Townsend, Pineiro's teammate at the University of Florida, has held for him at OTAs. Gruden believes Pineiro and Giorgio Tavecchio will have a "great battle" in training camp. Tavecchio is on notice after making just 16-of-21 field goals last season.

Source: Vic Tafur on Twitter 

May 25 - 4:02 PM

45-year-old Colts K Adam Vinatieri says he has no plans to retire in the near future.

"I love it as much today as I had when I started 23 years ago," Vinatieri said. "I’m not looking to hang them up anytime soon. ... I guess I’ll take these one year at a time and see where it ends up." Headed into his 23rd year in the league, Vinatieri remained an 85.3 percent field goal kicker last season and is approaching several league records.

Source: colts.com 

Jun 19 - 4:05 PM

I did my first ever K trade this offseason. I moved Jake Elliott & a 3rd in 2019 for Zuerlein. I have an excellent team, but the competition in that league is fierce due to quite a few outstanding teams so I want to squeeze out any advantage I can. Zuerlein outscored Elliott by over 4 points a game in that league & that's nothing to sneeze at. I'm also quite low on the 2019 class as of right now.

Elliott does have the situation I look for in Ks (like a good offense & defense), but Pederson likes to go for it on 4th down & I'm not sure that's going to change. Also, the Rams will likely have a little less efficient offense in the RZ (compared to Philly) which means more FG attempts yet still has the strong D I like (more opps for the offense).

Zuerlein is the top K in FF, IMO.

Raiders waived K Giorgio Tavecchio.

Jon Gruden has cleaned out Rich Bisaccia's special teams room, parting ways with last year's starting placekicker, punter (Marquette King), and top returner (Cordarrelle Patterson). Mike Nugent was signed as veteran competition, but the Raiders appear likely to roll with UDFA Eddy Pineiro out of Florida.

Related: Raiders

Aug 4 - 12:05 AM

Why not

1. Greg Zuerlein. Great Leg and O. Good climate
  2. Justin Tucker. Improved O and simply good
  3. Stephen Gostkowsi. I see decline with Pats but can’t underestimate Tom
  4. Harrison Butker. Good young guy on interesting O if Mahomes steps up
  5. Will Lutz. Great O and kicks indoors
  6. Mason Crosby. I expect big rebound from Pack
  7. Daniel Carlson. Minny looking good and kicks indoors. 
  8. Jake Elliott. I expect regression as news not great in Philly
  9. Josh Lambo. Jags are perfect storm with great D but okay 
  10. Chris Boswell. Great O but unpredictable coach and the wind
  11. Matt Bryant. Super old but consistent for good O
  12. Matt Prater. Good O and kicks indoors
  13. Ryan Succop. Tier drop but safe job on hopefully improved team
  14. Caleb Sturgis. Great O but not safe job. That is issue
  15. Dan Bailey. Not sure on O but could kick FG. Good location. 
  16. Graham Gano. Good O
  17. Brandon McManus. Average O but long FG environment for those rule
  18. Kaimi Fairbairn. Interesting O and location
  19. Cody Parkey. Have a good feeling
  20. Aldrick Rosas. I think team that will surpise
  21. Robbie Gould. Old and Jimmy G scares me
  22. Eddie Pinero. I think his job and a Gruden will be okay
  23. Dustin Hopkins. Losing Guice hurts
  24. Phil Dawson. Old but should have job on not bad O
  25. Jason Sanders. Rookie on average O
  26. Zane Gonzalez. Cleveland should improve
  27. Adam Vinateri. Good place but Indy looks bad even with Luck. Shhotouts
  28. Chandler Cantazzaro. Okay O but looking at competition
  29. Randy Bullock. Nothing thrilling 
  30. Steve Hauschnika. Bad type of O. 
  31. Sebastion Janikowski. Old, coming off injury. Job security
  32.  Cairo Santos. Having hammy issues again on low O
names that could be traded or signed

Kai Forbath. Having good camp nut so is rookie they drafted

Kaare Vedvik. Very interesting. Huge leg and kicking well

Sam Ficken. Has done well. 

Robert Aguayo. Can he turn it around. Former early pick

ESPN's Rich Cimini reports Jets K Cairo Santos is dealing with a "chronic groin injury."

The issue limited him in Chiefs camp last season and ultimately led to him being cut. He is not practicing again in Jets camp this season, but he hopes to be back on the field soon. Taylor Bertolet is handling the kicking duties with Santos out.

Source: ESPN 

Aug 14 - 12:37 PM

It looks to me like the kicker situation is still fairly up in the air in NYJ, OAK, MIN, MIA, LAC, CLE, NYG, and HOU.

The starter has a stronger hold on the job with the rest of the league, although there is still some uncertainty on teams like SEA.

Any disagreements about which teams should or shouldn't be included on that list?

ZWK said:
It looks to me like the kicker situation is still fairly up in the air in NYJ, OAK, MIN, MIA, LAC, CLE, NYG, and HOU.

The starter has a stronger hold on the job with the rest of the league, although there is still some uncertainty on teams like SEA.

Any disagreements about which teams should or shouldn't be included on that list?
What about Atlanta?

I put ATL in the same category as SEA and TB - some risk, but much safer than the 8 I listed. Matt Bryant has an undisclosed injury, but they're calling him a game-time decision for preseason wk2 so it seems pretty likely that he'll be good to go by the opener. And if he's healthy then he has a pretty solid lock on the starting job - he just signed a new 3-year deal this offseason, with $2M guaranteed, and David Marvin doesn't look like much of a threat.

ZWK said:

I thought Gruden said OAK was going to the rookie.  Don't have time to look for the link though.

These unsettled situations with the rookies getting the gig (or some "retread" from elsewhere) are usually the place to find the most value RE kickers, IMO.  Two or three years ago Sturgis was awesome for Philly, then last year you had both Butker in KC (though he emerged later in the season) and Elliott in Philly again.  Minny, LAC, HOU also likely have strong offenses as well.

Raiders UDFA K Eddy Pineiro is out with a groin injury.

The injury kept him out of Saturday's preseason game against the Rams. Pineiro and Mike Nugent are competing for kicking responsibilities in Oakland.

Source: Scott Bair on Twitter 

Aug 20 - 5:08 PM

Jason Myers - K -  Seahawks

Jets claimed K Jason Myers off waivers from the Seahawks.

Myers was cut Monday after losing the starting kicker job to Sebastian Janikowski in Seattle. His main competition in New York will come from Texas A&M alum Taylor Bertolet. The Jets are expected to release Cairo Santos, who has missed most of the summer with a groin injury.

Related: Seahawks

Source: Ian Rapoport on Twitter 

Aug 21 - 4:33 PM

As an aside, since I have finished my best ball leagues, I took an interesting strategy this year with kickers.  Around round 17 or so (whenever Gostkowski was at the top of the queue) I would go on a kicker run and take Gostkowski, Tucker AND Zuerlien. I feel in best ball, when you don't need to know which one will go off in a given week, the three together could provide a significant point advantage at the position.  The 3 are consistently top 5 kickers and the drop off from the top 5 seems steep before it hits a points plateau.  Just curious on thoughts regarding the strategy at the position (can't believe I am discussing kicker strategy...)/    

I just read some good stats on Robbie Gould (San Fran's kicker) and all the success he had after Jimmy G took over last year. 

I think he's a good one to target late.   :thumbup:

I just read some good stats on Robbie Gould (San Fran's kicker) and all the success he had after Jimmy G took over last year. 

I think he's a good one to target late.   :thumbup:
Garoppolo: 49ers focusing on finishing in red zone

Excerpt:

The 49ers scored points on 60 percent of Garoppolo's drives, per NFL Research, almost doubling the 2017 league average. The Patriots, for comparison, scored on 52.8 percent of Tom Brady's drives. 

The converse point to the above statistic -- beyond sample size -- is that most of those scoring drives were field goals.

Some teams are very good between the 20s and 30s but can't finish the job. Figure that out and you are at least on the guys with most attempts if not fgs.

There’s so much kicker talk, I thought I’d write a handy, concise guide to drafting kickers. 

Here is the comprehensive process I’ve employed for years. I hope it’s helpful: 

Q: does he have a foot at the end of his leg?

Y/N

if N, pick a different K. :(  

If Y, check BYE week. 

Q: does he have a BYE of week 9 or later? 

Y/N 

if N, pick a different K :(  

if Y, check his environment

Q: Does he play his home games in a dome?

Y/N

if Y, congratulations! you just drafted a good K.   :hifive:

if N, is he on the west coast at least?

If N, pick a different K :(  

if Y, congratulations! you just drafted a good K!  :hifive:

There’s so much kicker talk, I thought I’d write a handy, concise guide to drafting kickers. 

Here is the comprehensive process I’ve employed for years. I hope it’s helpful: 

Q: does he have a foot at the end of his leg?

Y/N

if N, pick a different K. :(  

If Y, check BYE week. 

Q: does he have a BYE of week 9 or later? 

Y/N 

if N, pick a different K :(  

if Y, check his environment

Q: Does he play his home games in a dome?

Y/N

if Y, congratulations! you just drafted a good K.   :hifive:

if N, is he on the west coast at least?

If N, pick a different K :(  

if Y, congratulations! you just drafted a good K!  :hifive:
lol aren't the top 2 gostkowski and tucker ?? I think your formula is broken

lol aren't the top 2 gostkowski and tucker ?? I think your formula is broken
It’s science dude. Science. 

Heres the fact, jack: the top kicker in 2017 scored 164 points in cbs standard scoring. That was Zurlein (a west coast guy, btw, but I digress)

Far more importantly, the 12th ranked Steven Hauschka kicker scoted...wait for it......123 points. 

That’s a whopping 41 point difference. Huge, right?

2 kickers hit 160+. And importantly, you’d have to be the first 1-2 guys to take a K to get that extra 10 points, typically several rounds before the end of the draft and everyone makes fun of you for it. That’s an awfully steep price to pay for those 10-Ish points between 1-2 & 3-4. (I refuse to tier kickers.  

Additionally, there’s huge fluctuation in who the top 12 K are year to year, because kickers score the most points when their offenses fail to score a TD, which is hard to predict. I recall having a Colts K the year Manning had a ridiculous number of TDs. Staggering # of PATs.  Not so hot on the FGs. 

So let’s take the #3-4 kickers from last year, Gould (149) & Boswell (146)) - both taken in the last round of my draft yesterday. 

But wait, I was using a full season. We don’t play a full season with our magical teams. 

So, a quick calculation...carry the 1...and that works out to 14 games worth as

#1 Zurlein: 143

#3 Gould: 130

#4 Boswell: 127

#12 Hauschka (gazuntheit): 108

“Holy spitballs! omg! Jeez Louise! Holy guacamole! That’s still 35 points, a huge difference!”, you might exclaim. 

Not so fast young buck. Let’s look at that on a per game basis. 

So between the #1 K & the #12 over 14 games we see 

#1 Zurlein:  +2.5 points per game better than Houschka  :o  

#3 Gould:  +1.57 ppg :o  

#4: Boswell +1.36 ppg :o  

And the #20 K was just 18 points less than Houschka.

while I realize that people do lose by 1-3 points sometimes. That’s not because they took the wrong kicker, it’s becUse they have terrible luck and the fantasy gods hate them. Perhaps they built their home on an Indian burial ground, or one of their grandparents was  cursed by an old blind gypsy woman. 

Theres just no difference in the #1 K & the #12 K. 

Ya know; I think I’m officially revising my methodology for selecting a K: 

#1: does he have a foot at the end of his leg? 

Y: draft him. ;)  

Users who are viewing this thread