What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Official Kicker (K) Thread (6 Viewers)

OK so lets do that? We don't need a game within a thread we come to for information. I don't like scrolling through 20 posts with just a name and a number to see if any new relevant info has been posted. I don't know about the rest of you?
I suggest starting a new thread then. Let this be for the games and title the other one Kicker Info No Games. 

If my kicker is at practice and there is no little plus sign next to his name on CBS I know I’m good. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Now that Denver’s O seems to have re-emerged somewhat from the frozen tundra of last year do we like McManus going forward kicking at altitude ?
Denver Kicker has historically been one of the best until recently.  If game 1 is any indication that Denver is going to have a decent Offense this year I expect McManus will end up being a tiop 6 or 7 kicker on the year.  Not bad for a WW pickup.  

Arodin said:
Can we discuss punters too, or do they need their own thread?

Because the Seahawks’ rookie Dickson outperformed Hekker last week.  Can he keep it up, or flash in the pan?
Why would Oakland let Lechler go? Arguably the best in the business. It makes no sense.

that guy (and a completely stacked roster) carried me to a championship one year. 

:popcorn:  

So...no more hot sauce kicker contests? Did the mods say it's a no go? 
I’m still waiting to hear back from @Joe Bryant 

historically I’ve only done about 4-5 a season, so no one’s being deprived yet.

worst case scenario, I’ll drop one in the “anything goes” forum (or whatever it’s called) 

;)  

I think this is ok. Let's look at it year to year and case by case. In general, we're 100% opposed to businesses using a thread on the board to promote and advertise their product. That's not why we have the boards. And that's exactly what this is.

But I also recognize @Hot Sauce Guy contributes to the boards. So there is more to the overall picture. And it's not an issue of whether people like a promotion. Of course they like the promotion. The issue is allowing the board to be used for people to promote their business. Let's say this one is ok but let's look at it each year. And if it becomes an issue with too much clutter or other people wanting to jump in, we may change what we're doing.

ETA: word has been given - the K contests will be randomly sprinkled into this topic. 

Keep an eye on this space for all your important K news, and a few random unofficial K contests.

:suds:

Why would Oakland let Lechler go? Arguably the best in the business. It makes no sense.

that guy (and a completely stacked roster) carried me to a championship one year. 

:popcorn:  
Most likely age and contract.  Similar to Bailey, Lechler is at a point where the dropoff to a younger guy with a fresher leg is deemed small enough to be worth saving a million or two.

As with the kicker moves, this often backfires.  Based solely on week 1 it has for the Texans.  New guy Daniel finished 31st out of 32 in opening action.

ETA: word has been given - the K contests will be randomly sprinkled into this topic. 

Keep an eye on this space for all your important K news, and a few random unofficial K contests.

:suds:
If I could ask, and someone else mentioned this so h/t...

...could you just ask the responders (hey me too) to provide some reasoning? Just make that a requirement? If someone doesn’t state reasons for the pick don’t give them the sauce. We don’t want 2 pages of dart throws. You may not think the K decision is a big deal but as others have said it can help win games and leagues. The advice here led me to use Gould in 2 leagues last year. In one, the Playoff Semi, I left off with one player to go, Gould down an absurd 20 #%^% points and I win by one, he slammed home a long kick on the last play of the weekend to win it, and I got my playoff final and some dollars. That was gratifying. I can think of at least one other time that happening here for me (Gano with Was). Much respect and appreciation and I hope to try to win some hot sauce of yours one day but please try not to drown our profitable and enjoyable discussion? Let’s try to tie it in to something useful. Thanks.

...could you just ask the responders (hey me too) to provide some reasoning? Just make that a requirement? If someone doesn’t state reasons for the pick don’t give them the sauce. We don’t want 2 pages of dart throws. 
A fair request. I don’t see why not. 

I don’t think it will be jnstrumental since K’s are such a weekly dart throw, but it’s a super reasonable request & I’ll try to remember to do that as a rule.   :hifive:

You may not think the K decision is a big deal but as others have said it can help win games and leagues. The advice here led me to use Gould in 2 leagues last year. In one, the Playoff Semi, I left off with one player to go, Gould down an absurd 20 #%^% points and I win by one, he slammed home a long kick on the last play of the weekend to win it, and I got my playoff final and some dollars.
A super random & dare I say lucky event. Gould could as easily have shanked 2 & had 1 blocked. I’ve had great kickers give me 1 point & awful ones give me 15.  ;)  

That was gratifying. I can think of at least one other time that happening here for me (Gano with Was). Much respect and appreciation and I hope to try to win some hot sauce of yours one day but please try not to drown our profitable and enjoyable discussion? Let’s try to tie it in to something useful. Thanks.
  :thumbup:

A super random & dare I say lucky event. Gould could as easily have shanked 2 & had 1 blocked. I’ve had great kickers give me 1 point & awful ones give me 15.  ;)  
That’s no different than saying “Brees could as easily have thrown two more picks and lost a fumble.  I’ve had great QBs give me 5 points and awful ones give me 30.”

There is variance at every position.  The variance at kicker is higher than at many other positions, but it is still possible to identify some kickers as better than others and thus more likely to succeed long term.  That’s no different than any position.

IDP players will know that sack-dependent DL and int-dependent DB have variance as bad or worse than kickers, yet no one is pushing to remove DB from the game.

Arodin said:
Can we discuss punters too, or do they need their own thread?

Because the Seahawks’ rookie Dickson outperformed Hekker last week.  Can he keep it up, or flash in the pan?
The guy who wrote for FBGs and had the original kicker thread discussed punters, so yeah why not. It’s not usually FF but it could be.

The guy who wrote for FBGs and had the original kicker thread discussed punters, so yeah why not. It’s not usually FF but it could be.
Most probably wish standard leagues would follow the FanDuel lead & drop kickers, but I’ve always wanted to ADD punters. You look at the top 50 seasons & top 50 career punting averages on pro football reference, and we are living in a Golden Age of Punters.

I know, cray cray talk, nobody cares 

:lmao:

Most probably wish standard leagues would follow the FanDuel lead & drop kickers, but I’ve always wanted to ADD punters. You look at the top 50 seasons & top 50 career punting averages on pro football reference, and we are living in a Golden Age of Punters.

It's not cray cray. It's called field position. Belichick called his war room in and asked them why they shouldn't draft a punter or a kicker in the early rounds of the draft, given their knowledge of other players. Just did.  

I feel the same way about the golden age of punters. I’ve gotten to watch Drew Brees and Tommy Morstead overvthe years and they’re both the best to ever play their positions fot the Saints, it’s been great.

That’s no different than saying “Brees could as easily have thrown two more picks and lost a fumble.  I’ve had great QBs give me 5 points and awful ones give me 30.”
It’s a little different in that Brees passes the ball & creates his own yardage, whereas a kicker is dependent on the offense getting into scoring position. 

Even in a 0 TD, 1 Int shutout, Brees could throw for 400 yards & salvage an otherwise terrible day. That K scored zero (and was likely a highly ranked K for the saints, in this example) 

There is variance at every position.  The variance at kicker is higher than at many other positions, but it is still possible to identify some kickers as better than others and thus more likely to succeed long term.  That’s no different than any position.
Of course.  I’ve never disputed that. However any weekly rankings list will be as, more, (or maybe less) effective than a bunch of randos on a discussion board throwing out WAGs (or even SEWAGs)

Guessing who will be best or worst every week is what, a 0-20 pt swing? probably usually more like 4-12 point swing for the average K score. And other than severe weather warnings or injury, not much will be predictable about who’s a 4 point kicker & who’s a 12 point kicker week to week. The outliers will occur too (0 or 20) of course, but again, kickers don’t make their own yards, so guessing who’ll have the most opportunity is such an unpredictable variable. 

You know for a fact that Drew Brees is going to throw the ball. He will score some points.  

IDP players will know that sack-dependent DL and int-dependent DB have variance as bad or worse than kickers, yet no one is pushing to remove DB from the game.
DBs are widely referred to as “the kickers of IDP” for a reason. 

There’s a reason that tackle-heavy safeties are more valuable than guys like Champ Bailey - opporunity.  And like kickers, that opportunity is going to be kind of limited & random, and it’s out of their control. 

Champ doesn’t decide when people throw at Champ. Champ might have a 3 int game, but more typically he’ll have a zero because QBs didn’t throw at Champ’s side. 

It’s an interesting debate, the true value & predictability of Kickers. Count me on the side that it’s more random WAG than skillful guess. 

I don’t really see it as analogous to projecting QBs or RBs. 

I think this is ok. Let's look at it year to year and case by case. In general, we're 100% opposed to businesses using a thread on the board to promote and advertise their product. That's not why we have the boards. And that's exactly what this is.

But I also recognize @Hot Sauce Guy contributes to the boards. So there is more to the overall picture. And it's not an issue of whether people like a promotion. Of course they like the promotion. The issue is allowing the board to be used for people to promote their business. Let's say this one is ok but let's look at it each year. And if it becomes an issue with too much clutter or other people wanting to jump in, we may change what we're doing.
Very generous and kind of you. Would you mind if he ran his contest in its own thread, so those of us who believe kicker analysis is worthwhile can continue to use this thread for its original purpose without the contests mucking it up?

It’s a little different in that Brees passes the ball & creates his own yardage, whereas a kicker is dependent on the offense getting into scoring position. 

Even in a 0 TD, 1 Int shutout, Brees could throw for 400 yards & salvage an otherwise terrible day. That K scored zero (and was likely a highly ranked K for the saints, in this example) 

Of course.  I’ve never disputed that. However any weekly rankings list will be as, more, (or maybe less) effective than a bunch of randos on a discussion board throwing out WAGs (or even SEWAGs)
I disagree, if only because predicting which offense is going to be better than others is not random.  Yes, offensive performance affects kicker opportunities...just like offense and game script affect RB opportunities or QB chances.  When a receiver is interefered with in the end zone on a bomb, setting up the ball at the 1, so the back plows it in...the receiver is affected by the rest of the offense the same way a kicker is when the back is stuffed and creates a field goal attempt.

Look back at your kicker contests...yes, it is hard to pick the exact kicker, just like a conte to pick the QB who throws for the most yards in a week would be hard.  But notice that he kickers chosen are not a random sampling from around the league.  They are drawn from a select few of the “best” kickers, who generally are above average in weekly output.  If it was truly random we’d expect more people picking Zane Gonzalez or Dustin Hopkins.

Not at all GB.  I really enjoy watching punters and tracking their performances and stats.  I always get a kick (pun not intended) out of it when some idiot announcer lampoons punters like they're not important. 

I disagree, if only because predicting which offense is going to be better than others is not random.  Yes, offensive performance affects kicker opportunities...just like offense and game script affect RB opportunities or QB chances.  When a receiver is interefered with in the end zone on a bomb, setting up the ball at the 1, so the back plows it in...the receiver is affected by the rest of the offense the same way a kicker is when the back is stuffed and creates a field goal attempt.

Look back at your kicker contests...yes, it is hard to pick the exact kicker, just like a conte to pick the QB who throws for the most yards in a week would be hard.  But notice that he kickers chosen are not a random sampling from around the league.  They are drawn from a select few of the “best” kickers, who generally are above average in weekly output.  If it was truly random we’d expect more people picking Zane Gonzalez or Dustin Hopkins.
Again - not disagreeing. Good kickers from good teams in good conditions typically score well.

but there’s no way to accurately separate the top 12-16 kickers.

and since that’s the size of most leagues, that means any kicker in the (fantasy) league has a good chance of being the top kicker that week.

Again, it’s a fun debate & I welcome the discussion. It’s ok to disagree - I appreciate your passion for the subject. 

I still think it’s random though. :)  

Again - not disagreeing. Good kickers from good teams in good conditions typically score well.

but there’s no way to accurately separate the top 12-16 kickers.

and since that’s the size of most leagues, that means any kicker in the (fantasy) league has a good chance of being the top kicker that week.

Again, it’s a fun debate & I welcome the discussion. It’s ok to disagree - I appreciate your passion for the subject. 

I still think it’s random though. :)  
Isn’t saying “there’s no way to accurately separate the top 12 - 16 kickers” the same as saying there’s no way to separate the top 12-16 quarterbacks?

I mean, there is a way to separate them, based on perceived or expected opportunity and talent. And the results may end up being somewhat random. 

Your honor, the court would like to call to the stand... Ryan Fitzpatrick. The 23rd ranked QB last week who outscored the 2nd highest scoring QB by over 10 points.

I'm confused. I thought the purpose of getting Joe's approval was so you could create a separate thread for the contest.
Exactly. Looks like we'll have to continue to sort through 3 pages of random names and numbers if we want to get anything relevant on kickers. And yes, HSG, there isn't a lot of kicker news from week to week. But when there is, I don't want to sort through pages and pages of kicker guesses to get to it. There is absolutely no reason now for you not to start your own thread for your kicker contest. Be a stand up guy and please take the contest elsewhere.

apalmer said:
I'm confused. I thought the purpose of getting Joe's approval was so you could create a separate thread for the contest.
I asked if I could make it it’s own topic. 

Joe said to keep it in here.  

It’s his website - I just follow the rules.   :shrug:

KingPrawn said:
Exactly. Looks like we'll have to continue to sort through 3 pages of random names and numbers if we want to get anything relevant on kickers. And yes, HSG, there isn't a lot of kicker news from week to week. But when there is, I don't want to sort through pages and pages of kicker guesses to get to it. There is absolutely no reason now for you not to start your own thread for your kicker contest. Be a stand up guy and please take the contest elsewhere.
There hasn’t been a K update this week. Not one. 

The K contests happen a couple fines a year. 

There isn’t one this week, for example.

I was told to do them in here. I am a stand up guy - my following the rules of the community poves that.

ps - this isn’t a news site. It’s a fantasy football discussion community.

If your biggest complaint here is that you’re looking for important K news & don’t want to scroll through people guessing kicker stats, perhaps Rotoworld is a better resiurce for breaking kicker news. Most folks simply cut & paste news from CBS or Rotoworld here anyway.   :thumbup:

VikingFrog said:
Isn’t saying “there’s no way to accurately separate the top 12 - 16 kickers” the same as saying there’s no way to separate the top 12-16 quarterbacks?

I mean, there is a way to separate them, based on perceived or expected opportunity and talent. And the results may end up being somewhat random. 

Your honor, the court would like to call to the stand... Ryan Fitzpatrick. The 23rd ranked QB last week who outscored the 2nd highest scoring QB by over 10 points.
See my comment about how QB’s make their own yards. 

Kickers are at the mercy of the offense to create opporruniries. 

Using Fitz as an example, I’m sure the Bucs kicker was ranked pretty low because of people’s expectstions of Fitz.  He probably had a good day. 

Fitz was an outlier that no one predicted. The variance is likely much lower for the top 12 QBs that people predicted to do well, right? 

QBs aren’t analogous to Kickers. They make their own yards.  

See my comment about how QB’s make their own yards. 

Kickers are at the mercy of the offense to create opporruniries. 

Using Fitz as an example, I’m sure the Bucs kicker was ranked pretty low because of people’s expectstions of Fitz.  He probably had a good day. 

Fitz was an outlier that no one predicted. The variance is likely much lower for the top 12 QBs that people predicted to do well, right? 

QBs aren’t analogous to Kickers. They make their own yards.  
So change it to WR. They don’t make their own yards and are at the mercy of the offense to create opportunities.

This argument could probably go in circles forever.

So change it to WR. They don’t make their own yards and are at the mercy of the offense to create opportunities.

This argument could probably go in circles forever.
Which is why WRs are historically more unpredictable week to week than RBs.

It’s also why historicaly RBs have gone earlier in drafts, and why someone like Antonio Brown is so valuable - his consistency. 

That’s why earlier (like 1 page back) I mentioned QBs & RBs, but not TEs & WRs. 

You're actually helping my argument here. :)  

And even then; both WR & TE are more predictable than K’s. 

Assuming you have a #1 or #2 WR or a #1 TE, you can somewhat predict usage/number of targets per game. 

Kickers usage is unpredictable, because for FGs you need a specific set of circumstances. Essentially you have to predict how many time a team will fail to score inside ~35-40 yards. That’s pretty hard to do. 

Maybe a team like Atlanta, who’s struggled with that for a while, but otherwise kickers are at the mercy of the offense, where they have to be good enough to create the opportunity, but not so good that it results in a TD (1 point for the K).

With WRs & TEs you can guess who’s covering them - if it’s a top cover DB or S, (or even a cover-LB like Deion Jones) you can project relatively low numbers for the receivers. If it’s an injury replacement 3rd string scrub at DB you can project relatively high numbers.

with “skill positions” you have so much more information available within the game to make a more accurate projection/prediction.

With K, you know:

• Is the offense good? (Creates opportunity)

• is the defense good? (Bad D = blowouts = bad for K)

• is the weather good / bad / irrelevant?

that’s about it. And within the top 12-14 K, I would assume they’re all on good offenses, so that makes that information somewhat irrelevant.

information is key in any projection or predictive model. 

Projecting skill positions is like playing poker. 

Projecting kickers is like piayjng a slot machine. 

;)  

...could you just ask the responders (hey me too) to provide some reasoning? Just make that a requirement? If someone doesn’t state reasons for the pick don’t give them the sauce. We don’t want 2 pages of dart throws. You may not think the K decision is a big deal but as others have said it can help win games and leagues. The advice here led me to use Gould in 2 leagues last year. In one, the Playoff Semi, I left off with one player to go, Gould down an absurd 20 #%^% points and I win by one, he slammed home a long kick on the last play of the weekend to win it, and I got my playoff final and some dollars. That was gratifying. I can think of at least one other time that happening here for me (Gano with Was). Much respect and appreciation and I hope to try to win some hot sauce of yours one day but please try not to drown our profitable and enjoyable discussion? Let’s try to tie it in to something useful. Thanks.
I found Zurlien from K advice in my dynasty league Love this thread!

Zuerlein apparently hurt himself - per Rams Twitter just now they say it's a groin and he's questionable to return.

Will probably be a big week for kicker news. Zeurlein hurt. Both Carlson and Gonzalez pretty shaky. Bailey's phone ringing off the hook?

ProFootballTalk reports free agent Dan Bailey is waiting for the "right team" to sign.

Bailey turned down four offers since getting released from Dallas. He wants to play for a contender, and with multiple teams likely to have an opening this week, he should finally sign. One of the most accurate kickers in the league, Bailey will be an upgrade wherever he lands.

Related: Vikings

Source: ProFootballTalk on NBCSports 

Sep 16 - 5:56 PM

Users who are viewing this thread