Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

The Official Kicker (K) Thread

13 hours ago, Walking Boot said:

Slye was dropped a couple of weeks ago in my league and hasn't been picked up yet. Doesn't look like this week is a good matchup for him. But I'm keeping an eye out if a better matchup comes down the pipe.

I never quite understood what is a "bad matchup" for a kicker. They play the 49'ers in SF so weather is not going to be an issue. Don't you want your kicker's team to be playing against a good defense--that theoretically doesn't give up as many TDs but which, again theoretically, should lead to more FG attempts ? A "high scoring" game doesn't necessarily translate to points for your kicker. Examples--the Packers rolled last week, scoring 42 points--and Mason Crosby had only 6 points (on 6 extra points). Or, look at last night. A "low scoring" game. Dan Bailey had double digit points (4 FGs and 1 extra point). As far as I am concerned (and I own Slye), barring horrible weather, he starts for me the rest of the season. 

31 minutes ago, Keith1 said:

I never quite understood what is a "bad matchup" for a kicker. They play the 49'ers in SF so weather is not going to be an issue. Don't you want your kicker's team to be playing against a good defense--that theoretically doesn't give up as many TDs but which, again theoretically, should lead to more FG attempts ? A "high scoring" game doesn't necessarily translate to points for your kicker. Examples--the Packers rolled last week, scoring 42 points--and Mason Crosby had only 6 points (on 6 extra points). Or, look at last night. A "low scoring" game. Dan Bailey had double digit points (4 FGs and 1 extra point). As far as I am concerned (and I own Slye), barring horrible weather, he starts for me the rest of the season. 

I think a bad matchup is the 49ers who gave up 0 and 1 point to kickers the last two weeks. It depends if their defense is gangbusters or bend but dont break.

• Like 1

For kickers matchups, Id much rather play a bad defense than good defense. Even against a bad defense there will be a ton of scoring opportunities. 4 extra points and one FG is still 7 points. Against a good defense there might be much less scoring opportunities. 2 extra points or 1 FG is only 2-3 points.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, -fish- said:

Are the Chargers more cursed or horribly run?  I've never seen a team spend this much energy on a kicker situation, let alone letting it affect the outcome of games.  

[scooter] pointed it out earlier in the year, and the only thing I can surmise is that they're not well-run; at least with respect to this, which never should have gotten to Long (the punter) kicking for them. It's a joke. There was nothing cursed about their situation and it could have easily been alleviated, in my estimation. 

Edited by rockaction

7 hours ago, -fish- said:

Are the Chargers more cursed or horribly run?  I've never seen a team spend this much energy on a kicker situation, let alone letting it affect the outcome of games.  

Im confused what are they doing? They only let it cost them one game when they let a punter kick field goals. 

On 10/22/2019 at 6:44 PM, VikingFrog said:

Sticking with InZane in the Membrane.

Tough New Orleans defense, but he seems to have a nice floor every week.

how about the next 4 weeks? SF, TB, SF, BYE

seriously considering dropping him despite how awesome he has been. 49ers D is excellent and they are not kicker friendly (2nd fewest pts to kickers)

1 hour ago, iamkoza said:

how about the next 4 weeks? SF, TB, SF, BYE

seriously considering dropping him despite how awesome he has been. 49ers D is excellent and they are not kicker friendly (2nd fewest pts to kickers)

I’m dropping Gonzalez for Lambo. AZ offense was in complete disarray after Edmonds went out and Zenner was trying to pick up the blitz. I imagine Drake/Zenner trying to figure things out on the fly against this brutal defense stretch. I don’t see many opportunities for Gonzalez. 

the only thing with Lambo is bye on week 10.

41 minutes ago, TheFatKid said:

I’m dropping Gonzalez for Lambo. AZ offense was in complete disarray after Edmonds went out and Zenner was trying to pick up the blitz. I imagine Drake/Zenner trying to figure things out on the fly against this brutal defense stretch. I don’t see many opportunities for Gonzalez. 

the only thing with Lambo is bye on week 10.

I'm sticking with Gonzalez through Lambo's week 10 bye, then hoping to switch to Lambo week 11.   I'll take the risk of the SF D one time at home in AZ and then get the week 10 matchup with the TB defense, which is giving up the most points in the league to kickers.  Drop him before the week 11 road game at SF and his week 12 bye.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, IHEARTFF said:

You guys called me out of retirement for this ####? I’m out. 

I've been cringing everytime I watch Bryant or Vinatieri lining up to kick. The old mules just can't kick no more. I hate watching good players fade out badly. :deadhorse:

Rotoworld takes:

Mike Badgley will resume Chargers kicking duties for Week 9.

The Chargers "announced" the move by waiving Chase McLaughlin. Amazingly held on the 53-man roster all year despite attempting zero kicks as he battled a groin injury, Badgley is returning to a career 93.8 field goal percentage after he converted 15-of-16 attempts in 2018.

SOURCE: Adam Caplan on Twitter

Oct 29, 2019, 5:02 PM ET

Patriots signed K Nick Folk.

Most recently of the AAF, Folk is a surprising replacement for failed Stephen Gostkowski fill-in Mike Nugent. One week shy of his 35th birthday, Folk has attempted only 11 field goals since the end of the 2016 season, and zero since 2017. For his career, he is an 80.3 percent field goal kicker, which is just north of acceptable. This could go south in a hurry for the Super Bowl-or-bust Patriots.

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Oct 29, 2019, 4:56 PM ET

On 10/25/2019 at 7:38 PM, Keith1 said:

Kickers definitely score more against bad defenses than good defenses.  The ideal is for a kicker to play a bad defense who toughens up in the red zone.  Or for a kicker it is ideal to be on an offense that is good between the 20s and then falters in the red zone.  But not many offenses have that problem any longer.  Since the West Coast Offense became ubiquitous in the league, few offenses are good midfield and then falter in the red zone.  Back in the 80s and 90s, there were a bunch of teams who moved the ball well until they got to the red zone and then they would often falter.

Below is a ranking of kicker's average fantasy points allowed by each team.  I put the ranking of kicking from each of the 32 teams next to each to show that the points allowed has about an equal correlation to points scored by kickers.  Actually, the points against correlation is stronger because your kicker can be matched up against any of the 32 teams, whereas, no one starts the bottom kickers so they are irrelevant.  So fantasy owners worry about who their position players are matched up against but they should be just as worried who their kicker is matched up against.

1. Buccaneers 9.7     9.7   Tucker

2. Bengals        9.2     9.5   Gonzalez

3. Falcons        8.5      9.3   Lambo

4. Cardinals     8.4      8.7   Butker

5. Broncos       8.4      8.7   Zuerlein

6. Ravens         8.3      8.7   Gould

7. Jets              8.1      8.5   Prater

8. Panthers      7.7      8.4   Slye

9. Redskins      7.6      8.3   Lutz

10. Giants        7.5       8.2   Gay

11. Rams          7.5      7.7   Nugent/Gostkowski

12. Browns       7.3      7.7   Boswell

13. Dolphins     7.1      7.4   Maher

14. Steelers      7.0      7.3   Bailey

15. Eagles         6.9      7.3   Crosby

16. Raiders       6.9       6.8   Pineiro

17. Lions           6.9       6.7   Long/McLaughlin

18. Seahawks  6.8       6.7    Fairbairn

19. Chiefs         6.6       6.5    Vinatieri

20. Cowboys    6.6       6.5    Myers

21. Texans       6.2        6.3    McManus

22. Colts           6.1        5.8    Bryant

23. Packers      6.1        5.8    Seibert

24. Jaguars      5.9        5.7    Bullock

25. Saints         5.8         5.7   Elliott

26. Titans         5.4         5.2   Carlson

27. Vikings       5.2         4.8   Hauschka

28. Chargers    5.1         4.7   Santos/Parkey

29. Bears          4.9         4.1   Hopkins

30. 49ers          3.6         3.7   Rosas

31. Bills             2.9         3.2   Sanders

32. Patriots      2.4          1.7   Vedvik/Ficken

Edited by Don Hutson
  • Like 3

Jaguars' Josh Lambo: Dealing with groin injury

by RotoWire Staff
(1 hr ago) Lambo will be held out of Wednesday's practice with a groin injury, Michael DiRocco of ESPN.com reports.

Lambo showed no sign of injury in Sunday's 29-15 win over the Jets, converting each of his three field-goal attempts and two of three PATs. He's tied for the league lead with 21 field goals made, and the Jaguars offense gets a favorable Week 9 matchup, facing a slumping Houston defense that just lost J.J. Watt (pectoral) to a season-ending injury.

On 10/30/2019 at 4:23 AM, Don Hutson said:

Kickers definitely score more against bad defenses than good defenses.  The ideal is for a kicker to play a bad defense who toughens up in the red zone.  Or for a kicker it is ideal to be on an offense that is good between the 20s and then falters in the red zone.  But not many offenses have that problem any longer.  Since the West Coast Offense became ubiquitous in the league, few offenses are good midfield and then falter in the red zone.  Back in the 80s and 90s, there were a bunch of teams who moved the ball well until they got to the red zone and then they would often falter.

Below is a ranking of kicker's average fantasy points allowed by each team.  I put the ranking of kicking from each of the 32 teams next to each to show that the points allowed has about an equal correlation to points scored by kickers.  Actually, the points against correlation is stronger because your kicker can be matched up against any of the 32 teams, whereas, no one starts the bottom kickers so they are irrelevant.  So fantasy owners worry about who their position players are matched up against but they should be just as worried who their kicker is matched up against.

1. Buccaneers 9.7     9.7   Tucker

2. Bengals        9.2     9.5   Gonzalez

3. Falcons        8.5      9.3   Lambo

4. Cardinals     8.4      8.7   Butker

5. Broncos       8.4      8.7   Zuerlein

6. Ravens         8.3      8.7   Gould

7. Jets              8.1      8.5   Prater

8. Panthers      7.7      8.4   Slye

9. Redskins      7.6      8.3   Lutz

10. Giants        7.5       8.2   Gay

11. Rams          7.5      7.7   Nugent/Gostkowski

12. Browns       7.3      7.7   Boswell

13. Dolphins     7.1      7.4   Maher

14. Steelers      7.0      7.3   Bailey

15. Eagles         6.9      7.3   Crosby

16. Raiders       6.9       6.8   Pineiro

17. Lions           6.9       6.7   Long/McLaughlin

18. Seahawks  6.8       6.7    Fairbairn

19. Chiefs         6.6       6.5    Vinatieri

20. Cowboys    6.6       6.5    Myers

21. Texans       6.2        6.3    McManus

22. Colts           6.1        5.8    Bryant

23. Packers      6.1        5.8    Seibert

24. Jaguars      5.9        5.7    Bullock

25. Saints         5.8         5.7   Elliott

26. Titans         5.4         5.2   Carlson

27. Vikings       5.2         4.8   Hauschka

28. Chargers    5.1         4.7   Santos/Parkey

29. Bears          4.9         4.1   Hopkins

30. 49ers          3.6         3.7   Rosas

31. Bills             2.9         3.2   Sanders

32. Patriots      2.4          1.7   Vedvik/Ficken

Gould, one of top kickers vs. Zona, one of weakest teams vs. kickers and he throws up 4 extra points, just shows how hard kicker points are to predict...

• Like 2

14 hours ago, gbill2004 said:

What do you guys expect from Nick Folk ROS?

I have no clue what to think? NE must've done their homework. It's always like "fingers-crossed" when a new guy kicks their first FG or XP for a new team. Yahoo pretty much says boom or bust and be prepared that things could go South in a hurry. Not very encouraging is it?

Since I dropped Gould for another bench spot waiting for Mahomes to go to the IR / OUT so it frees up me to pick up a kicker I watched Myers, then Crosby both go leaving Folk starring at me unless he goes before Mahomes is ruled OUT. Otherwise, it's Bailey or Carlson, or Hauschka.

14 hours ago, Mystery Achiever said:

Lambo doesn't have any injury designation.

No, but there's also this. Somebody asked for a source.

https://www.jacksonville.com/sports/20191101/jaguars-vs-texans-josh-lambo-limited-with-groin-injury-but-expects-to-play-sunday

Personally, I hate when kickers have groin problems. Soccer-style kickers are incredibly affected by these and it seems too often that they don't finish the game or they re-injure it in warmups. I'm staying away. 

I put in a ridiculous amount of time trying to figure what kicker to add this week to cover Zuerlein's bye and ultimately went with Austin Seibert. The projection systems don't seem to be favoring him enough as they should imo. For anyone in my position still deciding who to add as a bye week fill-in here are the factors which led me to go with Seibert this week...

• Denver ranks 31st in K pts allowed this season (ESPN league)
  • Seibert is 10/10 on FGs this season
  • The game is in Denver and the Browns ST coach commented that he's factoring 5 extra yards of FG range due to the altitude
  • The weather forecast is for sunny skies and light winds in the 6-7 mph range
  • Blind belief that Cleveland's offense will perform up to it's talent level at some point
  • Seibert's performance in adverse weather conditions at Foxborough last week (2/2 FGs, 38 and 47 yards)
  • Other K options were early start games, while Seibert plays in the afternoon, statistically 1-3 points higher scoring

Essentially, I'm not advocating Seibert as anything more than a one off fill-in due to Cleveland's surprising ineptitude on offense. The attempts just aren't there. And despite the perfect mark on FGs, he's managed to miss 2 extra points. But the team sounds willing to give the rookie a little more leeway in the league's most kicker friendly venue. The forecast is good for kicking and the kid has yet to miss a FG in the NFL. I'm not going to begin trying to predict missed PATs either. And the 1-3 point difference in scoring from early games to afternoon games might seem insignificant but hey, the range on those numbers represent an extra point to a field goal.

That said, I'm 99% sure I just jinxed him mentioning he's 10 for 10 on FGs, so maybe look elsewhere.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Laughing 1

36 minutes ago, Mr Anonymous said:

I put in a ridiculous amount of time trying to figure what kicker to add this week to cover Zuerlein's bye and ultimately went with Austin Seibert. The projection systems don't seem to be favoring him enough as they should imo. For anyone in my position still deciding who to add as a bye week fill-in here are the factors which led me to go with Seibert this week...

• The game is in Denver and the Browns ST coach commented that he's factoring 5 extra yards of FG range due to the altitude
  • Blind belief that Cleveland's offense will perform up to it's talent level at some point
  • Seibert's performance in adverse weather conditions at Foxborough last week (2/2 FGs, 38 and 47 yards)
  • Other K options were early start games, while Seibert plays in the afternoon, statistically 1-3 points higher scoring

Essentially, I'm not advocating Seibert as anything more than a one off fill-in due to Cleveland's surprising ineptitude on offense. The attempts just aren't there. And despite the perfect mark on FGs, he's managed to miss 2 extra points. But the team sounds willing to give the rookie a little more leeway in the league's most kicker friendly venue. The forecast is good for kicking and the kid has yet to miss a FG in the NFL. I'm not going to begin trying to predict missed PATs either. And the 1-3 point difference in scoring from early games to afternoon games might seem insignificant but hey, the range on those numbers represent an extra point to a field goal.

That said, I'm 99% sure I just jinxed him mentioning he's 10 for 10 on FGs, so maybe look elsewhere.

Impressive research, one thing I don't like is the low vegas point total in that game.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Mr Anonymous said:

20 minutes ago, Tool said:

Impressive research, one thing I don't like is the low vegas point total in that game.

Perhaps a defensive FG game 26-16 CLE

Seibert did come up on my radar. Nice info. Does the kid have a big leg, like Greg lol. 

• Like 1

Titans activated K Ryan Succop.

Succop has been on injured reserve this season with a knee injury, but he reportedly looked good in practices and has been given the green light for in-game action. He will kick for Tennessee in Week 9.

SOURCE: Titansonline.com

Nov 2, 2019, 2:11 PM ET

Titans released K Cody Parkey.

Ryan Succop is back from the injured reserve and will begin kicking on Sunday. Parkey made all three of his field goals and went 5-for-6 on extra points in his two weeks with Tennessee. It may be too late in the season for Parkey to get another gig in 2019, but he'll likely be in the mix for a starting job this offseason.

RELATED: 

Tennessee Titans

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Nov 2, 2019, 2:17 PM ET

23 hours ago, Mr Anonymous said:

Seibert's longest field goal this year is 48 yards.  Does he have a weak leg, a risk averse coach, or has he been the victim of circumstances?

On 11/2/2019 at 9:37 AM, Mr Anonymous said:

FFPA Vs K’s really works, and Flacco being out as bad as he has been sets up an even better day for the Browns D, combine that with a stalling Browns O getting opportunities vs a still respectable Bronco D and this tees up well.

• Like 1