What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Clickbait question (1 Viewer)

The Big Guy

Fear the Blitz
Can someone explain to me why there is always some version of "start gallery" button on click bait sites? I assume these sites get paid for page views are are ad loaded (use ad-block, don't see any) but what does that extra annoying step prove or do for them? I assume we all know what these are, since they are all over Facebook where ever you turn, so I don't really think I need to post an example.

What is the endgame to these sites and why so many varieties of them?

The simple answer is page views. But the longer answer is a bit more detailed.

Most of these sites are primarily going to earn money from Google ads. You make 99% of your money from Google ads only when someone clicks an ad. Therefore, the more pages your readers click on the more pages they will see and the more ads they will have a chance to click on.

Then there are also other ad companies that pay on a CPM model...meaning...just based on how many times an ad loads...regardless of whether or not anyone clicks it.

The other aspect of is trying to lower the bounce rate.

It is widely understood that Google dings sites in their algorithm if people search google for something...click on the link to your site and then you back out of it without going to any other pages on the site.

Say for example you have a website and only 10 people visited your site. However, all 10 of those visitors hit the back button after reading the page they landed on. Google would say...him 100% of this site's readers bounced back to us. That sends a signal that your site isn't very good.

So...when Google sees readers clicking multiple pages on a site...it sends a positive message and helps a site rank better for organic search traffic, too.

Hope that helped clarify a little bit.

Users who are viewing this thread