What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Jared Goff, DET (2 Viewers)

How confident are any Goff owners for Thursday vs NE?  Assuming you are in the playoffs? 
not real confidant.  I don't see NE scoring that much so not much need to score.  damn, I hope I'm wrong as I have to start him in 2 leagues.  make sense????

I'd say anyone who saw the SB two years ago is probably not that confident. 
Oof, yeah.  My other options are Tua vs KC and Lock @ Carolina :X . Fortunately I'm favored by quite a bit at other positions

Would be nice if I had someone ELSE going on Thursday and could wait until Sunday to decide on a QB.

Oof, yeah.  My other options are Tua vs KC and Lock @ Carolina :X . Fortunately I'm favored by quite a bit at other positions

Would be nice if I had someone ELSE going on Thursday and could wait until Sunday to decide on a QB.
Same boat with Carr as my other option vs INDY.  FML for this week in fantasy...

Well, my opponent has Bridgewater vs DEN or Mayfield vs BAL so he doesn't have great matchups either.
Should I roll with Carr instead of Goff?  or go off the rails and pick up Tua vs KC (he'll have to throw - but concerned he could get pulled for Fitz) or Darnold with a matchup vs SEA in which he'l also be forced to throw as well in order to "try" and keep up (although it looks like Mims is out)....

Should I roll with Carr instead of Goff?  or go off the rails and pick up Tua vs KC (he'll have to throw - but concerned he could get pulled for Fitz) or Darnold with a matchup vs SEA in which he'l also be forced to throw as well in order to "try" and keep up (although it looks like Mims is out)....
Since I'm projected to have an advantage at RB/WR/TE, I'm leaning toward starting the QB with the highest floor.

Now I just have to figure out which one of my guys that is...

Jared Goff completed 16-of-25 passes for 137 yards, one touchdown and one interception in the Rams' 24-3, Week 14 win over the Patriots, adding a rushing touchdown. 

It was a highly unimpressive performance, one where the Patriots weren't offering much respect to Goff's play fakes. Thankfully for Goff, the Pats' slow defense simply could not stop Cam Akers, who dominated the game and took pressure off his quarterback. Goff's interception came on a low throw that Myles Brant managed to wrestle away from Robert Woods. As is the case in most "bad Goff" games, he was lucky to escape with only one turnover. His two-yard strike to Cooper Kupp in the end zone seemed to be lightly tipped. Goff's rushing score came on a fourth down quarterback sneak. Whereas Goff was always unlikely to perform well against Bill Belichick, he has a much more inviting Week 15 date with the Jets. Although he has only two passing scores over his past three starts, Goff has partly compensated with two rushing touchdowns.  

Dec 10, 2020, 11:20 PM ET

I ended up benching him at the last minute after the PTI guys revisiting how badly he was shut down in the SB a couple years ago.  And if not for the rushing TD it would absolutely have been the right decision.  I'm still OK with sitting him, as I should be able to get similar production.

Anyone rolling him out this week? I’ve kept him this long for this matchup, but now I’m nervous they will play it conservative and use defense and run game to win instead of passing all over the Jets like everyone else does. Goff has sucked in these juicy matchups before. I don’t have a great alternative, Hurts is probably my next best. Ugh.

Anyone rolling him out this week? I’ve kept him this long for this matchup, but now I’m nervous they will play it conservative and use defense and run game to win instead of passing all over the Jets like everyone else does. Goff has sucked in these juicy matchups before. I don’t have a great alternative, Hurts is probably my next best. Ugh.
On the bench for Herbert and Brady in SF. Herbert did well, REALLY not sure about Brady vs Goff.

My other option is Tua vs Bill Belichick, so LFG Jared!!

Rolling Hurts over a Goff. Just can't get a handle on what the Rams do. Jets have a tough run Def but soft secondary. Makes sense to throw but Sean may just pound it all game.

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport said Rams QB Jared Goff can delay thumb surgery until after the season. 

Goff broke and dislocated the thumb on his throwing hand in Sunday's loss to the Seahawks. Even if Goff can hold off on a surgical repair of the thumb, he's unlikely to play in Week 17 against the Cardinals, and likely won't be ready for the team's first playoff game if they sneak into the postseason. The Rams will have to start undrafted free agent John Wolford against Arizona. Wolford, 25, has never taken a regular season NFL snap. Playing for the Alliance American Football's Arizona Hotshots in 2019, Wolford completed 63 percent of his passes for 1,617 yards, 14 touchdowns, seven interceptions and a 95.9 quarterback rating. Godspeed to the Rams. 

RELATED: 

John Wolford

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Dec 28, 2020, 9:51 AM ET

Goff broke and dislocated the thumb on his throwing hand in Sunday's loss to the Seahawks. Even if Goff can hold off on a surgical repair of the thumb, he's unlikely to play in Week 17 against the Cardinals, and likely won't be ready for the team's first playoff game if they sneak into the postseason. The Rams will have to start undrafted free agent John Wolford against Arizona. Wolford, 25, has never taken a regular season NFL snap. Playing for the Alliance American Football's Arizona Hotshots in 2019, Wolford completed 63 percent of his passes for 1,617 yards, 14 touchdowns, seven interceptions and a 95.9 quarterback rating. Godspeed to the Rams.
Our regularly-scheduled "Kaepernick has to be a better option for a playoff-bound team than this dude" post. 

Plaschke from the LA Times absolutely shredded Goff today. 39 turnovers since 2019 most in the league. Called him “Jameis Winston West”. Ouch

Jared Goff underwent surgery to repair his broken and dislocated right (throwing) thumb Monday and is doubtful for Week 17 against the Cardinals.

John Wolford, of zero career pass attempts, is now in line to start the Rams' must-win game against the Cardinals with a playoff spot on the line. Goff "hopes" to be available for the postseason should the Rams advance, but odds are stacked heavily against L.A. to even make it at this point. As bad as Goff has been of late, one would have to imagine Wolford is a severe downgrade.

RELATED: 

John Wolford

SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Dec 28, 2020, 7:25 PM ET

ESPN's Lindsey Thiry reports Jared Goff (thumb) has thrown passes in practice ahead of the Wild Card game against the Seahawks.

Coach Sean McVay said Goff is "preparing himself to play" but that a starting quarterback decision hasn't been made. NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reported that it would be "challenging" for Goff to be ready following his thumb surgery. The Rams' practice reports are obviously worth following over the next few days. John Wolford would start his second-straight game if Goff is ruled out. The good news is Cooper Kupp (COVID-19) will be back at practice on Wednesday.

RELATED: 

John Wolford

SOURCE: Lindsey Thiry on Twitter

Jan 5, 2021, 6:19 PM ET

Speaking Thursday, Rams coach Sean McVay remained coy on Jared Goff's (thumb, questionable) status for the Wild Card Round. 

"We are going to work through that and we will see on Saturday," was McVay's response when asked if Goff would start against the Seahawks. The coach did note that Goff "recovered without a problem from Wednesday" and did "everything asked Thursday." The Los Angeles Times reports Goff "showed no problem gripping the ball or passing" on Thursday. Goff said he is "progressing well" and not having problems with snaps from under center. It would seem as if Goff is on the right side of his questionable tag, but nothing can be assumed with a quarterback thumb injury. 

SOURCE: Andrew Siciliano on Twitter 

Jan 7, 2021, 6:12 PM ET

Jared Goff completed 9-of-19 passes for 155 yards and a touchdown in the Rams' 30-20, Wild Card win over the Seahawks. 

Active but not starting as he dealt with a throwing thumb issue, Goff was thrust into action on the second series after John Wolford suffered a neck injury that sent him to the hospital. Goff's surgically-repaired thumb was an obvious issue, with both his accuracy and power off all afternoon. He appeared to avoid setbacks, however, and will undoubtedly be under center for the Divisional Round. The Rams don't know who they will be playing yet, but if the chalk hits and the Saints beat the Bears on Sunday, Los Angeles must venture to Green Bay. In addition to his own health, Goff must be concerned about Cooper Kupp's after he tweaked his knee late in Seattle.  

Jan 9, 2021, 8:12 PM ET

Jared Goff (throwing thumb) is practicing in full for the Divisional Round vs. Green Bay. 

John Wolford (neck), meanwhile, was sidelined. Goff doesn't seem to be particularly close to 100 percent health, but Wolford's "stinger" has taken most of the drama out of the situation. If the Rams have to choose between two banged up quarterbacks, they aren't going to go with the player who has made two career starts. Goff's ball placement seemed off against the Seahawks, but not egregiously so. He is going to be the one under center vs. a Packers defense that surrendered the fifth fewest quarterback fantasy points during the regular season. 

RELATED: 

John Wolford

Jan 12, 2021, 4:48 PM ET

Jared Goff (thumb) will start the Divisional Round against Green Bay. 

John Wolford (neck) has been declared out, so it will be Blake Bortles backing Goff up in the Frozen Tundra of Green Bay. Goff appeared mostly healthy after being thrust into duty against the Seahawks, but the Rams' mid-week needle thread actually seemed true instead of merely coachspeak to justify sitting Goff in Seattle: He was healthy enough to back up but not quite ready to start. With another seven days of healing under his belt, hopefully his ball placement will be there against the Packers' stingy pass defense. The Rams are going to try to ride Cam Akers to the upset. The Pack are far more vulnerable on the ground. 

Jan 14, 2021, 2:44 PM ET

Speaking Tuesday, Rams GM Les Snead declined to endorse Jared Goff as the team's 2021 starter. 

ESPN's Lindsey Thiry reports Snead "declined to provide a yes/no answer" on Goff's future before "referencing Aaron Rodgers' recent quote about the future being a beautiful mystery." He then said "anything can be done" while nevertheless acknowledging it would be difficult to move on from Goff's albatross contract. Snead joins coach Sean McVay in going out of his way not to endorse his starting quarterback. The Rams have realized what everyone else has, that their offense is hard capped under the No. 1 overall pick of the 2016 draft. The problem is the salary cap, which would be left in smoldering ruins by any potential Goff move. Unless some other team is willing to pay Goff $25.6 million in 2021, there is probably no way the Rams can get out from underneath his deal this offseason, but perhaps they will add legitimate competition and roll with the highest-paid backup in the history of professional sports. We have a long way to go in this journey. 

SOURCE: Lindsey Thiry on Twitter 

Jan 26, 2021, 2:24 PM ET

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport's "understanding" is the Rams are "expected to have an open competition" at quarterback in training camp next summer, featuring Jared Goff and John Wolford.

RapSheet said that's "if" Goff remains on the roster, which is highly likely considering his contract. Wolford started two games for the Rams at the end of the season, "managing" L.A. to a win in Week 17 against the Cardinals, where he went 22-of-38 for 231 scoreless yards and an interception while leading the team in rushing with a 6-56 line. But he was hurt in the Wild Card start against Seattle, and Goff reclaimed the gig. It's clear the Rams aren't satisfied with Goff at all and are now realizing he's holding the team back. But Wolford isn't the answer. The Rams need to start taking their No. 2 QB spot seriously.

RELATED: 

John Wolford

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Jan 27, 2021, 1:30 PM ET

Lions acquired QB Jared Goff, a 2021 third-round pick, 2022 first-round pick and 2023 first-round pick from the Rams in exchange for QB Matthew Stafford. 

The Rams publicly insisted Goff and his mammoth contract could easily be traded. They were right, further proving that the salary cap is only as big of an impediment as you want it to be. Goff is essentially a stop-gap throw-in to a shockingly aggressive move for Stafford, though he will be the Lions' unquestioned starter in 2021 and perhaps beyond. A 26-year-old former No. 1 overall pick with a pair of 4,600-yard seasons to his name, Goff profiles on paper as the kind of player who maybe has a next step to take. The problem is, he maxed out as a quarterback incapable of creating instant offense under one of the brightest offensive minds in the sport. If Sean McVay couldn't take Goff to the next level, the Detroit Lions almost surely will not be able to. Goff will be in major 2021 trouble if free agent Kenny Golladay is not franchise tagged. Goff's days as a frequent QB1 streamer are likely through. 

RELATED: 

Matthew Stafford

, Los Angeles Rams

Jan 30, 2021, 10:53 PM ET

Goff just kills every passcatcher on Detroit except Hockenson. Definitely makes me want D'Andre Swift more in 2021 Fantasy Drafts as Goff needs a running game to carry him more than other QBs. If McVay maxed out on Goff, Detroit ain't getting much out of him unless he evolves, and that means reading defenses. .

Goff just kills every passcatcher on Detroit except Hockenson. Definitely makes me want D'Andre Swift more in 2021 Fantasy Drafts as Goff needs a running game to carry him more than other QBs. If McVay maxed out on Goff, Detroit ain't getting much out of him unless he evolves, and that means reading defenses. .
I think Goff is basically a bridge/place holder until they draft a guy good enough to replace him. 

This seems like a pretty strong trade for Detroit, actually. Stafford isn't a substantially better player than Goff; Stafford has thrown double-digit INTs almost every year, and hasn't thrown for 30 TDs since 2015. To get two first-round picks for swapping out a QB who wasn't doing much for you anyway is a pretty good deal.

Goff takes a downgrade in the receiving corps but not a huge one. He takes a huge downgrade on defense (from maybe #1 to maybe #32) but from a fantasy perspective that's probably a positive for him.

The top two receivers in LA had 90+ receptions the past two years; both went over 1000 yards in 2019, and both were over 900 in 2020 (Kupp would have been over 1000 without the injury). 

This seems like a pretty strong trade for Detroit, actually. Stafford isn't a substantially better player than Goff; Stafford has thrown double-digit INTs almost every year, and hasn't thrown for 30 TDs since 2015. To get two first-round picks for swapping out a QB who wasn't doing much for you anyway is a pretty good deal.

Goff takes a downgrade in the receiving corps but not a huge one. He takes a huge downgrade on defense (from maybe #1 to maybe #32) but from a fantasy perspective that's probably a positive for him.

The top two receivers in LA had 90+ receptions the past two years; both went over 1000 yards in 2019, and both were over 900 in 2020 (Kupp would have been over 1000 without the injury). 
I think the trade is more about the relative contracts of Goff and Stafford.  My first thought was why would the Rams include two firsts for an older, oft injured QB?  Then I checked Goff's contract... Admittedly, I'm probably not giving Stafford a fair shake.  I probably associate him more with the Lions franchise than he deserves.  Seems like he has been around for a while, but "only" 33 years old for the 2021 season. Could be a boon to the Rams. As for the Lions, the draft picks sound good but you do have to hit on those.  We'll see.

I think the trade is more about the relative contracts of Goff and Stafford.  My first thought was why would the Rams include two firsts for an older, oft injured QB?  Then I checked Goff's contract... Admittedly, I'm probably not giving Stafford a fair shake.  I probably associate him more with the Lions franchise than he deserves.  Seems like he has been around for a while, but "only" 33 years old for the 2021 season. Could be a boon to the Rams. As for the Lions, the draft picks sound good but you do have to hit on those.  We'll see.
Yeah, obviously it's about the contract, but I like the trade from Detroit's perspective more than the Rams. Goff's contract only really guarantees him one year with the Lions; he has a $15M roster bonus due in 2022 and Detroit won't take a big hit if they cut him after the season. So they swap out a decent but not awesome QB for another potentially decent but maybe not awesome QB, get some extra draft picks, and go a different way if 2021 doesn't work out.

Stafford is a much better QB than Goff, it's generally accepted Goff's limitations have held back the Rams' O (complete inability to read defenses or make plays that aren't scripted). Stafford has had injuries and seemingly some terrible luck around him, but it's not like Stafford himself has been the main issue with Detroit losing. Not to mention Goff needs thing around him to be perfect to get the most out of him; if one thing is off the house of cards falls down.

What pass catchers in the big question, Lions only have Cephus under contract. 

What pass catchers in the big question, Lions only have Cephus under contract. 
Goff is going to need some good route runners, at least this will be a good market for wideouts.

Is there news that he is definitely leaving the Lions that I missed?
The consensus feeling was that Golladay would price out of Detroit, but maybe ownership being in flux will change that. For what it's worth, he says he wants to say in Detroit.

Jared Goff said he's "excited to be somewhere that I know wants me and appreciates me."

Goff's relationship with Rams head coach Sean McVay was clearly broken beyond repair. McVay repeatedly refused to endorse Goff as the team's 2021 starter, taking the extraordinary (and some would say unnecessary) step of talking up John Wolford as a legitimate starting option for LA. Now a Lion, Goff will probably be the team's starter for the next season or two if he can manage not to completely collapse in a far inferior offense. Goff in Detroit profiles as a borderline streaming option for fantasy purposes. 

RELATED: 

Matthew Stafford

, Los Angeles Rams

SOURCE: Mike Silver on Twitter 

Jan 31, 2021, 1:16 PM ET

NBC's Peter King reports both new Lions coach Dan Campbell and new GM Brad Holmes view Jared Goff as more than a "bridge" quarterback. 

Of course the Lions' new brain trust isn't going to come out and say they view Goff as a stopgap, but Holmes was serving as the Rams' director of college scouting the year they made Goff the No. 1 overall selection. Per King, Holmes "favored Goff inside the Rams draft room — and still does." Anyone reading this knows the score with Goff. He's too good to be a backup, not good enough to be a true franchise player. It's a major red flag when Sean McVay decides he has taken your talent to the absolute maximum, but Goff could still emerge with an Alex Smith-type career arc. The Lions' lack of talent will be conspiring against him in 2021, however. 

- Sports Illustrated article

Lions general manager Brad Holmes said the team is "absolutely not" discounting drafting a quarterback. 

Detroit has the seventh pick in this spring's NFL Draft, and could have their pick of at least two of the top five QBs on the board. “I don’t think when you’re picking this high that you can be ‘out’ on any position,” Holmes said. “But obviously quarterback is such an important position and I just think it’s good drafting business, always, to be very, very thorough on that quarterback class – regardless of what your situation is." It would be foolish to bank on Jared Goff as the team's long-term solution at quarterback after Goff's persistent struggles with the Rams. 
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/03/09/brad-holmes-lions-are-absolutely-not-out-on-drafting-a-qb/

Lions fans think having Ryan Gosling quarterback is pretty dreamy (NTTAWWT)

@CalBear lets put a little respect in the thread title, we’re not giving up on him before Halloween 

(also MJJ & Jaz took their talents to Jax)

JARED GOFF QB, DETROIT LIONS

Lions general manager Brad Holmes said the team might have drafted a quarterback with the No. 7 overall pick in the 2021 draft if Oregon OT Penei Sewell wasn't available. 

Holmes said taking Sewell -- the unanimous No. 1 offensive lineman in the 2021 class -- was an easy call after he slipped past the first six teams. The Lions, who in January acquired Jared Goff and the Rams’ 2022 and 2023 first-round picks in exchange for Matthew Stafford, passed on Justin Fields and Mac Jones to take Sewell. “If there was a quarterback that was just like graded way higher over Penei we would have had to strongly consider that,” Holmes said. They'll now face Fields -- drafted by Chicago with the 11th pick -- twice a year or the foreseeable future. Holmes' admission that the team might have taken a QB in the first round is the strongest hint yet that the Lions don't see Goff as a long-term option. 

RELATED: 

Penei Sewell

SOURCE: ProFootballTalk.com 

May 3, 2021, 9:10 AM ET

Last edited by a moderator:
JARED GOFF QB, DETROIT LIONS

Lions QB Jared Goff described OC Anthony Lynn's offense as "multiple with spread principles."

Detroit arguably has no choice but to lean on spread concepts after exclusively poaching downfield targets — Breshad Perriman, Tyrell Williams, Kalif Raymond — in free agency. Fourth-rounder Amon-Ra St. Brown logically has a leg up in the slot since that's where he flourished (77/1,042/6) with Southern California in 2019 before underwhelming from the boundary in his final year. It's admittedly an odd approach since Goff wasn't asked to make plays over the top at any point with the Rams. Fantasy players should remain wary of the Lions' play-calling as the team can only "bite kneecaps" in the trenches for so long before trailing each and every week.

SOURCE: Justin Rogers on Twitter

May 6, 2021, 2:54 PM ET

Users who are viewing this thread