What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Jared Goff, DET (1 Viewer)

guy is a meathead, doesn't know which direction the sun rises.

Never called a play in the huddle

Last edited by a moderator:
Dude needs to sit on the bench and study for a couple years.  He has no idea how to call plays from a huddle.  Blows my mind that he was drafted first overall.

I think he can throw the ball just fine from what I've seen. I don't know how well he can read an NFL defense yet which is important. Not working out of a huddle his entire football career would worry me. 

NFL.com's Steve Wyche expects Jared Goff to be the Rams' Week 1 starter.
Wyche reports the Rams have "steadily seen" the "mental progress" they've wanted from the No. 1 overall pick, and are on the verge of giving him more first-team reps. It makes all the sense in the world. Case Keenum is the dictionary definition of a backup quarterback, and the Rams didn't mortgage their future to let Goff sit in mothballs as they begin play in a demanding new market. Coach Jeff Fisher is one of the least truthful coaches in the NFL. There are good odds Goff is under center for the opener.

Source: NFL.com 
Aug 18 - 3:36 PM

Emory Hunt ‏@FBallGameplan  15h15 hours ago
If I'm Jeff Fisher, I don't mind the placement or passing mistakes made by my rookie, but I'd be worried about how unsure he looks out there
Emory Hunt ‏@FBallGameplan  15h15 hours ago
If you're going to make mistakes, make them 100 mph. You can't be out there like you haven't practiced w/this team ever.
Emory Hunt ‏@FBallGameplan  14h14 hours ago
Don't undersell execution in these preseason games just because it's the preseason. Film is film and it is hard to argue against GOOD film.

Coming off the bench behind Case Keenum, Jared Goff completed 4-of-12 passes for 45 yards in Saturday's preseason game against the Broncos before leaving "shaken up."
If you're scoring at home, the No. 1 overall pick of the draft has now gotten "shaken up" in 2-of-3 preseason games. Goff is a featherweight who has looked like one thus far through exhibition action. It's clear now why the Rams seem madly intent on starting Keenum Week 1. Goff simply isn't up to the challenge mentally or physically yet. He's completed 16-of-33 passes (48.4 percent) for 165 yards (5.00 YPA), one touchdown and a pick. He's also lost a fumble and taken four sacks, showing very poor awareness. Goff is going to make starts this season, but it could be later in the year than we expected.

Source: Andrew Mason on Twitter 
Aug 27 - 11:29 PM

Jared Goff suffered a bruised tailbone in Saturday's preseason game.
His X-rays, which were deemed precautionary, came back negative. Goff had another rough night Saturday against the Broncos, completing just 4-of-12 passes for an underwhelming 45 yards and no touchdowns. He's looked surprisingly fragile and clearly isn't ready to take the reigns as L.A.'s starting quarterback. Considering what the Rams gave up for him (and who's ahead of him on the depth chart), Goff's play this preseason has been a major disappointment.

Source: Troy Renck on Twitter 
Aug 28 - 8:34 AM

Just finished our dynasty draft and he was not on my board. My evaluation was that he was a wasted pick at any point.

Speaking after Thursday's preseason finale, Rams coach Jeff Fisher said Jared Goff would be the No. 3 quarterback were the season starting today.
In other words, Goff is the No. 3 quarterback, as there's nothing he can do between now and Los Angeles' Sept. 12 opener to leap Sean Mannion. Fisher gushed about Goff's "progress" in the same breath, but the reality is if Goff had actually made any progress, he would be the starter, not third-string caddie behind a former undrafted free agent and 2015 third-rounder. However Fisher — who is on the verge of becoming the NFL's all-time losingest coach — spins it, Goff has had a majorly concerning summer. He looks slight of build, confused on the field and unsure of himself in the huddle. He'll be a budding calamity if he doesn't make some quick progress after the Rams mortgaged their future to move up to No. 1 overall. Playing behind a bad offensive line with subpar weapons and even worse coaching, the deck is stacked against the Cal product, just as it was Sam Bradford.

Source: Rich Hammond on Twitter

He's a rookie and a young rookie at that.  He should be 3rd string.  You never know how a Steve Young or Aaron Rodgers would have turned out had they been forced to start as rookies and/or not been mentored by HOFers.  It's way to early to be panicking on Goff.  WAY. TOO. EARLY.

The Vikings defense sure looked good. Weatherly contributing some recently is nice to see.

The Rams offensive line on the other hand makes things too easy.

The Rams overall do not seem very well coached. They turned the ball over 3 times in the last two minutes of the half. One on special teams that I think was kind of a lucky break for the Vikings, but the botched snap and Goff  throwing into the back of his linemen were pretty bad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Every Goff dropback from preseason wk4. Out of his 10 incompletions, I counted 4 passes that went off the receiver's hands, although in most cases the throw seemed slightly off (not sure how much of that was inaccuracy from Goff and how much was miscommunication or the receiver not being quite where he was supposed to be). Another 2 were passes tipped at the line of scrimmage (one intercepted). The last 4 were inaccurate throws when pressured (one of those while being hit, and one where the problem might have been a miscommunication with the receiver on a hot read).

Every Goff dropback from preseason wk4. Out of his 10 incompletions, I counted 4 passes that went off the receiver's hands, although in most cases the throw seemed slightly off (not sure how much of that was inaccuracy from Goff and how much was miscommunication or the receiver not being quite where he was supposed to be). Another 2 were passes tipped at the line of scrimmage (one intercepted). The last 4 were inaccurate throws when pressured (one of those while being hit, and one where the problem might have been a miscommunication with the receiver on a hot read).
Yeah he didn't look as bad watching that as he seemed to me watching live. I missed that first drive where they scored. He made some throws there.

Lots of those passes were right on the receivers hands and should have been caught.

He never played under center in college, and even though he was in the gun for a lot of those plays, there is definitely some adjustment period required, probably all season practicing before he starts getting more comfortable with that. 

The Vikings defense is pretty good, even the second and third stringers, but that offensive line made them look better than I think they are.

i thought he was supposed to be "ready". 

*oof*

he might not be with the right coach.
I think that goes without saying.  Fisher has no clue how to develop and get the best out of a QB.  The best QB he has ever had was Steve McNair, and while he was a very good pro for a while, he was never the great, consistent passer he should have been, given what he had done in college and the rep he had.   Fisher is like rat poison for a quarterback. 

I think that goes without saying.  Fisher has no clue how to develop and get the best out of a QB.  The best QB he has ever had was Steve McNair, and while he was a very good pro for a while, he was never the great, consistent passer he should have been, given what he had done in college and the rep he had.   Fisher is like rat poison for a quarterback. 
Chris Weinke is the qb coach and has no effing clue...this much is certain.

If I'm the Rams, I'm looking for a proven QB coach like Wisenhunt after they can Fisher this year.

Dismattle said:
This is still pre-season..  Coach showing his cards, explaining the depth chart   (look at the source people)

IF I was in his shoes (goff) Id still be having nerves because of such dreams commin true..

This not to mention isnt the keys to the position in Denver (plaY to allow defense WIN)

I thought PMan looked rough at the start (one example  maybe not true to you too)

However, Why just give the guy anything   Make him think he needs to work    The man should be putting in 110% effort Period

Wk 6  Or wk 9 and no positive signs of starting/playmaking  Then we have to begin discussing just how much bench helps a player ?

Did it truly help ARod or was he just a natural  (dont carr)  I dont think bench helps development  

Now if the OLine is so far gone that he may get killed out there?  Okay, bn for a Season, maybe two

But yeah   As long as he aint risking developing "gun-shy"  Do your thing  Shake off the bad like its nothing   Learn the job  Act like you know..
This made my brain hurt...

Is there a filter to translate whatever Dismattle is typing into English?
Is it safe to say that you believe Goff is not an NFL QB?

Im thinking that you believe this as fact  :homer:

Thats fine   You could be correct :whistle:

IF you are correct? :tebow:

I see no reason to give ya benefit of the doubt 

It is obvious that you know, and dont care to hear any talk of reasonable doubt

Personally I value some posters at a 20-1 + ratio

Id hope to be right just enough for one of them to rebuttal my post..  (Read  Id hope to save you!  I make my choices and live/die by them)

You hinder, as opposed to help my cause

Good Luck to you!   You have went above and beyond, earning your block   :missing:

This could be an ideal buy-low situations in two QB Leagues (soon if not already)

We can consider many avenues of thought..

Lets just try an consider that the draftniks knew something when they ranked him #1

OP starts post w/ gushing praise..

I used to like Goff's Coach until a Titan fan helped enlighten my view..

Its possible that I was right, and now Im wrong..  But I personally dont want to roster the guy fwiw

However any insight, is probably quite valuable to some..

A few posts (about college play) makes me think Cutler-ish type play 

Id rather read gunslinger  A gunslinger gives ya a chance, when there isnt one  (Go big or go home)

Cutler play could lead to one CB pickin him off a few times (game within a game)  Lose-Lose

So yeah  perhaps Im not a fan   I been wrong before

Goff actually looked pretty good IMHO.

The Rams' pass catchers...not so much.
Can you expound on that a little?

good posture  sober 

K. Britt averages 700 yds a Season   Did he not look capable of hitting his avg?

Austibn average's @ 300 yds +   I gotta figure that increases even if Gurley is throwing

I know it may sound factitious , but Im not reading much Goff praise just yet

After tonight it's looking like Goff's day is going to come soon. Maybe even the first Rams home game in the new stadium.

X 2.

Seriously what is the problem?
Jeff Fisher. Maybe he is still in pain from getting fired over Vince Young. 

Unfortunately for Rams fans (if any), Fisher won't get fired again unless the season turns into a dumpster fire. Which is possible, but the defense is good enough to win some games.

Users who are viewing this thread