What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Jared Goff, DET (1 Viewer)

CBS Sports draft analyst Rob Rang compared Cal QB Jared Goff to Vikings QB Teddy Bridgewater.
Interesting, interesting. Wrote Rang, "Tough, alert and accurate, Goff reminds me in many of ways of the Minnesota Vikings' young quarterback, Teddy Bridgewater," adding that both gunslingers also share relatively slight frames and smaller hands (Goff measures in at 6-foot-4, 215 pounds with nine-inch hands). Rang believes the size factor helped force Bridgewater to drop to the bottom of the first round in last year's draft. It remains to be seen if Goff--who's been bandied about as a potential selection for the Browns at No. 2 at times--will take a similar tumble. Rang doesn't view Goff as having the talent of either Marcus Mariota or Jameis Winston, but ranks him fifth on his most recent Big Board nonetheless.

Source: CBS Sports
Mar 3 - 4:37 PM

ESPN draft analyst Mel Kiper Jr. called Cal QB Jared Goff "a picture of confidence and potential, the best pure thrower in the draft."
Interesting the word "confidence" there, as it had previously been reported that Goff seemed noticeably nervous in his interview with the Browns (compared to NDSU's Carson Wentz, who--by all accounts--has charmed the pants off every organization). HC Hue Jackson's refuted those reports, though, and frankly, if Goff was nervous we wouldn't blame him. On the field at least, the 6-foot-4, 215-pounder was generally viewed as having turned in the most impressive performance in throwing drills at the NFL Scouting Combine, with TFY Draft Insider's Tony Pauline and CBS Sports' Rob Rang both coming away with an extremely positive impression. An NFL scout also told the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel that Goff "might be the most ready [QB prospect in this pool]."

Source: ESPN Insider 
Mar 5 - 1:51 PM

CBS Sports draft analyst Dane Brugler noted that Cal QB Jared Goff's best attributes are his intelligence and awareness.
"Goff has good, but not great, physical traits and arm strength, but his best qualities are his intelligence, pocket mechanics and ability to self-evaluate," Brugler believes. While North Dakota State QB Carson Wentz and Memphis QB Paxton Lynch are generally viewed to have more upside physically, the 6-foot-4, 215-pound Goff offers more polish--TFY Draft Insider's Tony Pauline believes his throwing sessions at the combine were the best of any gunslinger. "He undoubtedly faces a learning curve in the NFL," Brugler wrote, "but he has the passing traits and mental process to find success early in his pro career."

Source: CBS Sports 
Mar 6 - 6:23 PM

Cal QB Jared Goff's NFL Combine interview with the Browns was "bad," according to Charles Robinson of Yahoo Sports.
Hue Jackson has since denied the statement, but Robinson stands behind what he heard and noted that Goff and the Browns will talk at least two more times during the process (likely at his pro day and an in-house visit, is our guess). ESPN's Josina Anderson backs up what Robinson claims by adding "I don’t know if (Goff) fully understands how he’s coming off to grown men. It’s been discussed. Off putting." This process is a long one and we will hear some teams like or dislike specific prospects. However, the Browns are currently in desperate need of a quarterback, and many feel Goff is worthy of a top 10 selection. We do not.

Source: Charles Robinson on Twitter 
Mar 10 - 7:26 PM

Rookie QBs don't get much fanfare but I'm fairly certain this guy is going to be very good.  He rips passes accurately down the field, had good presence, cycles through his reads, has good size.

Only knock is his small hands, iirc.

Cal QB Jared Goff was asked to throw wet footballs during his Pro Day.
Browns assistant head coach/offense Pep Hamilton doused a few footballs with water at the end of Goff's workout to see how the "small-handed" quarterback threw a slick ball. "Growing up in California, they probably wanted to see that," Goff said. "But at the same time, I’ve played in cold weather before and I wouldn’t be the first quarterback from California to play in cold weather, Tom Brady and Aaron Rodgers are doing pretty well." Goff's hands -- measured at nine inches at the combine and 9 1/8 inches at his Pro Day -- continue to be a topic of a conversation, but by all accounts he threw the wet ball just fine. The Browns will likely take either Goff or North Dakota State QB Carson Wentz with the No. 2 overall pick.

Related: Browns

Source: The Cleveland Plain Dealer 
Mar 19 - 10:15 AM

Bills general manager Doug Whaley and director of college scouting Kelvin Fisher took in Cal QB Jared Goff's Pro Day workout last week.
Whaley has said he'd consider taking a quarterback in Rd. 1. If Goff is still on the board at 19 (not likely), it sounds like he would do just that. "What we'll do, our philosophy, if he is the best, most highly rated guy left on board and we're at 19, we're going to stay true to our board and we're going to take him," Whaley said. "You saw everything you want to see from [Goff]. We saw him drive the ball, we saw him put some touch on some long distance throws, some deep throws. We saw him move not only in the pocket but make throws on the run. It was a good day also because we got to see him work with all of his receivers and his interactions between reps with his receivers and how he commands a team and how he would command a huddle." Whaley has also been at Kevin Hogan's and Christian Hackenberg's Pro Days.

Source: newyorkupstate.com 
Mar 21 - 5:11 PM

In a ranking of the top quarterback draft prospects since 2011, NFL Media analyst Daniel Jeremiah slotted Cal's Jared Goff in at No. 8.
As has tended to be the consensus evaluation to this point, North Dakota State's Carson Wentz ranked just ahead of Goff at No. 8. In Jeremiah's breakdown, the 6-foot-4, 215-pound Cal gunslinger finds himself in the company of Wentz (just above) and (gulp) Johnny Manziel just below at No. 9. The rankings are based purely on scouting of college games, not the NFL, hence why Manziel is ranked ninth rather than, say, 8,000th. But back to Goff. Wrote Jeremiah, "He has a very similar grade to Wentz. I love the accuracy and toughness, which is very similar to [Vikings QB Teddy] Bridgewater."

Source: NFL.com
Mar 25 - 7:01 PM

Former NFL scout John Middlekauff hears that Cal QB Jared Goff is working out for the Eagles on Monday.
With the No. 8 pick, the Eagles could be right in the thick of things for Goff's services come April 28. Should the Browns draft North Dakota State QB Carson Wentz, only the 49ers and former Eagles HC Chip Kelly at No. 7 would likely stand in the way of Philly selecting Goff should they so choose. NFL Media's Daniel Jeremiah ranks the 6-foot-4, 215-pounder as the No. 8 quarterbacking prospect we've seen since 2011.

Source: John Middlekauff on Twitter

Those are small hands, below the baseline.  Not sure if any QB with 9' hands has been drafted with the #2 pick recently let alone a 6'4, 215 lb QB.

New Browns HC Hue Jackson was asked yesterday if hand size was important and he said that it was.

--------------------

Goff’s allegedly tiny hands may not win Goff any points with some teams, including the Cleveland Browns. During today’s press conference with Browns’ head coach Hue Jackson, Jackson said he valued larger hands in a quarterback.

“It matters because we play in a division where all of a sudden there’s rain and snow, and it’s different,” Jackson, whose team has the number two overall pick in the draft, said, as reported by Yahoo Sports. “Guys with bigger hands can grip the ball better in those environmental situations. We’re looking for a guy who fits what we’re looking for at quarterback, and so hand size is important.”
Hue Jackson has some interesting ideas about the effects of weather.

Hue Jackson has some interesting ideas about the effects of weather.
Should be noted that Hue Jackson made those remarks BEFORE anyone knew the official hand size of Goff.  Hue coached with Cincinnati so he is familiar with the weather in the AFC North.

Hand size wouldn't be an issue if there were successful first round NFL QBs with hands 9' or smaller but there aren't any.   

Larger hands allow for stronger throws.  This concept is intuitive as noted in this article.

http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nfl/47036/311/exploring-qb-hand-size 

... You ever throw a small football and notice how much more accuracy and power you can generate? If I could throw with one of those tiny NERF footballs with the tail at the end, I’m pretty sure I’d be an NFL Hall-of-Fame quarterback. Just ridiculously deadly. Quarterbacks with huge hands like Brees and Wilson are playing with the equivalent of a NERF ball.

Both of those quarterbacks are really interesting cases because they fell in the NFL draft—Brees to the second round and Wilson incredibly to the third—because they’re short. Brees is 6’0” and Wilson is 5’11”.

Somewhat ironically, I think NFL teams (and us fantasy owners) can acquire value by actually targeting quarterbacks who are short but have large hands. They fall too far because teams are emphasizing the wrong trait.

Hand size isn't the be-all end-all because you will find exceptions but when people try and discount hand size by saying, 'so-and-so hand big hands and he sucked so hand size doesn't matter' they are using a fallacy of logic.  

When looking at first round NFL QB prospects, ask this question.

How many first round NFL QBs with 9 1/4' or smaller hands have been successful?  How many have struggled?  

The data strongly suggests that hand size does matter.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bracie,

My comments about Hue Jacksons opinions about the weather are said somewhat tongue in cheek because he has made similar comments about Jeremy Hill being more important when the weather turns cold.

I am from Minnesota. In my honest opinion Hue Jackson makes too much of a big deal about the weather and players capabilities to deal with the elements. It is a very safe coach speak type of thing to say because for the most part it is total nonsense. However Hue seems to be buying his story in how he has used Hill towards the end of the season. He seems to actually believe in this stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:
When looking at first round NFL QB prospects, ask this question.

How many first round NFL QBs with 9 1/4' or smaller hands have been successful?  How many have struggled?  

The data strongly suggests that hand size does matter.
The plural of "anecdote" is not "data." This is possibly the worst fantasy football faux-statistical analysis article I've seen since the "370 carry threshold" crap from Football Outsiders.

There are a total of 21 data points of first-round QBs since 2008, and the reasons for the success or failure of those QBs are all over the map. He runs correlations on this tiny sample size and comes up with an extremely tiny correlation in career AV (r=0.17). With this he implies that the difference between Aaron Rodgers' success and Colin Kaepernick's lack of success is that Rodgers has 9 3/8" hands and Kaepernick has 9 1/8" hands. It's ridiculous.

Hard to imagine him falling to the Cowboys after the Rams trade.

So, which is better for the bandwagonners? Rams or Browns?

My take is that unless Gordon gets reinstated, he'd be better off on the Rams. On first principles, you always want to be somewhere other than Cleveland, and without Gordon, the Rams receiving corps looks better than Cleveland's also. 

In either place, he's probably starting day 1 over either Case Keenum or RGIII. 

According to Matt Miller, Goff will go #1 and he's equal to Jameis Wintson and Andrew Luck were as prospects. according to Miller.

--------------

Matt Miller ‏@nfldraftscout  22h22 hours ago
Matt Miller Retweeted Sean Mellon
The Rams are going to draft Goff.Matt Miller added,
Sean Mellon @Sean__Mellon
@nfldraftscout please tell me the Rams are going to draft Goff

Matt Miller ‏@nfldraftscout  22h22 hours ago
I gave Goff the same grade as Jameis Winston, tied for 2nd best since Luck. @prollz23
I've asked a lot of people this. Scouts/coaches say Goff has a much higher fball IQ than Jameis did. @Thebionicfuture
Explanation I got was Jameis knew his offense better than anyone, Goff knows football better @QBKlass

Since when did we start lumping Winston in with Luck. Luck was a generational prospect. I could see Goff being on par or atleast close to Winston.

To be fair, it said "since Luck."  Luck could be anywhere above these guys, and the statement still true.  He's saying Luck was at a certain level, Winston came closer than anyone else since, and Goff next.  But no comment on how big a gap.

An NFL scout told the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel that Cal QB Jared Goff shares Tom Brady's footwork and pocket presence, calling both traits "amazing."
"But he has such a slight build. He needs to get stronger," the scout continued. "And having played in that spread system he will need to take snaps under center and make adjustments." Some scouts are worried that Goff went 14-23 at Cal, others don't care. "He was surrounded by nothing," another scout said. "His best running back had a hip and was hurt all year, the receiver has all kind of talent and he's a nut job. The rest of them are pedestrian. He might be the most ready but I'd be nervous taking him before 10. Thing I don't like is his slender build." But the third scout disagreed with the interpretation of Goff's record. "I just don't see him having that winner quality about him. His arm isn't great. ... He gets rattled by pressure. Everything has kind of got to be under control for him. He couldn't win there and you want him to be the face of your franchise?"
Source: Milwaukee Journal Sentinel

Wow, things change fast. 

Philadelphia is something of an unknown (which is still an upgrade from the pit of despair that is Cleveland). Mathews/Ertz is probably not a bad start for a receiving corps (except that Ertz is from Stanfraud). Agholor has some potential as well. 

Pederson is pretty green, but he seems to have done an OK job with a highly mediocre QB in Alex Smith. 

In Philly there's Sam Bradford to deal with. They're saying "Sam's our starter," which is probably true for day 1, but between his injury history and the fact that he sucks, it's likely whoever the Eagles take will get a chance to start this year. 

Overall the situation with the Rams is probably a notch better, but both LA and Philly are way better landing spots than Cleveland or San Francisco, which were the two strongest possibilities before these deals started. So, hop on board!

(Oh, a small note to the East Coast media: Goff is not a Los Angeles local. Berkeley is about twice as far from LA as Boston is from NY.)

NJ.com's Jordan Raanan hears that there is a 99.9% chance the Rams select Cal QB Jared Goff with the first overall selection in the 2016 NFL Draft.
Not only does Raanan report that the Rams are 99.9% set on drafting Goff, he also wrote that "the entire league knows it." We had heard previously that part of the reason the Eagles traded for the No. 2 pick is that they were already working off the expectation that the Rams would draft Goff. If everything unfolds as expected, the Eagles will be selecting North Dakota State QB Carson Wentz with that second pick.

Source: Jordan Raanan on Twitter

My guess is that being sacked a lot is worse than rarely running. I've found some data on sacks (separate from rushes for negative yards) on player pages on CBS. This year, Goff was sacked 26 times, on 555 dropbacks (att + sacks), for a sack rate of 4.7% Here is how that compares to the last season of some other college QBs:

9.6%    Christian Hackenberg    2015
9.1%    Vernon Adams    2015
6.9%    Cardale Jones    2015
6.6%    Russell Wilson    2011
6.5%    Marcus Mariota    2014
6.3%    Dak Prescott    2015
5.9%    Kevin Hogan    2015
5.9%    Robert Griffin    2011
5.8%    Mike Glennon    2011
5.6%    Blake Bortles    2013
5.4%    Teddy Bridgewater    2013
4.9%    Brock Osweiler    2011
4.7%    Jared Goff    2015
4.6%    Johnny Manziel    2013
4.2%    Connor Cook    2015
3.9%    Nick Foles    2011
3.7%    Paxton Lynch    2015
3.7%    Kirk Cousins    2011
3.6%    Brandon Allen    2015
3.5%    Jameis Winston    2014
3.0%    Jimmy Garoppolo    2013
2.6%    Case Keenum    2011
2.4%    Andrew Luck    2011
2.1%    Brandon Weeden    2011
1.8%    Derek Carr    2013
1.8%    Matt Barkley    2011
1.6%    Ryan Tannehill    2011

Running QBs will tend to have higher sack rates because they try to scramble instead of dumping it off or throwing it away.

It would be interesting to watch a video of all 26 of Goff's sacks, and to compare it to similar videos of the other QBs on this list.

Go Bears! Goff becomes the first player out of Berkeley to be drafted at #1 overall since Steve Bartkowski in 1975. 

What do we know about the situation? Goff may or may not start day 1, but it's extremely likely he'll be starting before the end of the season. LA is a way better landing spot for him than Cleveland or San Francisco would have been, so he's gotta be happy about that. 

The Rams' receiving corps is OK. They have a couple big (injured) receivers in Quick and Britt, a decent TE in Cook, and a scatback in Austin. Gurley looks pretty solid at RB. The line only gave up 18 sacks, lowest in the league in 2015, so that'll be a refreshing change for Goff, who's used to running for his life. 

The biggest change for him will be Jeff Fisher, whose style is about as far from Sonny Dykes as you can find in today's NFL. Part of the reason the Rams had the fewest sacks is that they were 30th in pass attempts.

One thing working in Goff's favor: there's nowhere to go but up. The Rams haven't had a winning season since 2005, and their offense hasn't finished better than #20 in that time. In 2015 they were #32 in yardage and had just 126 first downs, 27 less than the #31 team in that category. The defense is not bad. If Goff gives the offense even a heartbeat he'll be viewed as a savior. 

So, I'd say a good landing spot for him.

I'm on the Goff>Wentz bandwagon, but I definitely don't see him being as good as Luck or Winston.
I have watched Goff his whole career at Cal and I am in shock he just went number 1 overall.  I am not sure he was even the best qb in the pac 12 this year.  Luck and Mariota were special, I'd put Winston behind them and Goff well below Winston. 

Jared Goff has been taking the first-team reps in Rams OTAs.
It appears there won't be any artificial hoops for Goff to jump through on his way to starting status. It would be a major surprise were Goff not under center in Week 1.

Source: Gary Klein on Twitter 
Jun 14 - 5:10 PM

Users who are viewing this thread