What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Cooper Kupp, LAR (3 Viewers)

Kills me I traded Sanders and Terry for this guy a week before his demise. Could've kept Sanders next year but that crowded backfield turned me off. I'm am a dummy.
I don't get this popular take.  10,14,16,18 last four weeks.   WR4 on the year.  The knee jerk reaction of the 24% of snaps week (which he scored 16) should have been alleviated by the following week at 92% snap rate.

I don't get this popular take.  10,14,16,18 last four weeks.   WR4 on the year.  The knee jerk reaction of the 24% of snaps week (which he scored 16) should have been alleviated by the following week at 92% snap rate.
I think a lot of the concern, at least for me, is how his targets have dropped since the bye week.  Only over 6 once in those 6 weeks.  And most of his targets last week didn't come until the game was over.  

I think a lot of the concern, at least for me, is how his targets have dropped since the bye week.  Only over 6 once in those 6 weeks.  And most of his targets last week didn't come until the game was over.  
Valid but I still think there's been an overreaction.

"The matchup with the 49ers is a tough one for Kupp, as evidenced by his four-catch, 17-yard performance he had back in Week 6 when he was playing at a high level. They were without starting nickel cornerback K’Waun Williams last week, who suffered a concussion in their Week 14 game. If he were to be held out again, Kupp’s matchup would be upgraded, as Williams has been among the best slot cornerbacks in the league this year. Of the 63 cornerbacks/safeties who play 25-plus percent of snaps in the slot, his 61.6 QB Rating in slot coverage ranks sixth. Meanwhile, his replacement D.J. Reed is just a fifth-round pick from last year who’s had very limited playing time. When he has played, he’s allowed three touchdowns on 28 targets in coverage. If Williams sits again, Kupp should be considered a high-end WR2. If Williams plays, Kupp is more of a low-end WR2/high-end WR3 for this game." -Tagliare's Primer

"The matchup with the 49ers is a tough one for Kupp, as evidenced by his four-catch, 17-yard performance he had back in Week 6 when he was playing at a high level. They were without starting nickel cornerback K’Waun Williams last week, who suffered a concussion in their Week 14 game. If he were to be held out again, Kupp’s matchup would be upgraded, as Williams has been among the best slot cornerbacks in the league this year. Of the 63 cornerbacks/safeties who play 25-plus percent of snaps in the slot, his 61.6 QB Rating in slot coverage ranks sixth. Meanwhile, his replacement D.J. Reed is just a fifth-round pick from last year who’s had very limited playing time. When he has played, he’s allowed three touchdowns on 28 targets in coverage. If Williams sits again, Kupp should be considered a high-end WR2. If Williams plays, Kupp is more of a low-end WR2/high-end WR3 for this game." -Tagliare's Primer
Well, here's to Kupp matching up Reed.  🙏

Yeah I’m keeping my eye on the status of the corner. This is a great piece of information. I basically have to pick 2 out Sutton, Golloday and Kupp. Sutton is a lock. The others two have obviously bad matchups. I could actually use all three but I’m rolling Jarrod Cook into my flex as it’s TE premium.

As others have said, it just seems like Kupp is an afterthought in games. His targets seem to come when the game is out of hand. He's putting up decent points, but he's been inches from putting up a couple real stinkers.

Yeah I’m keeping my eye on the status of the corner. This is a great piece of information. I basically have to pick 2 out Sutton, Golloday and Kupp. Sutton is a lock. The others two have obviously bad matchups. I could actually use all three but I’m rolling Jarrod Cook into my flex as it’s TE premium.
From  Friday practice “Richard Sherman (hamstring) and CB K'Waun Williams (concussion) both practiced in full.” didn’t realize the slot CB was so strong but this seems like another reason to fade Kupp. I’m starting Boyd over him right now as WR2

From  Friday practice “Richard Sherman (hamstring) and CB K'Waun Williams (concussion) both practiced in full.” didn’t realize the slot CB was so strong but this seems like another reason to fade Kupp. I’m starting Boyd over him right now as WR2
Yeah man. It’s a shame. I like my team a lot but now gotta choose Golloday, Kupp, Jarrod Cook and Greg Ward for two slots. Can’t believe I gotta sit Kupp and possibly Golloday. I’d say though Kupp is last on my own list.

Kupp’s late garbage time TD got me a 1 point win to the championship game, but this week I just don’t feel I can trust him. Rolling with Mike Boone or Darius Slayton as my flex.

Shame on me for not trading this turd for the truck load I was offered earlier this year. He is nothing more than a 3 catch 25 yard receiver at this point. What a shame to be on a team with goff as your qb, and a dumb coach like Mcvay. 

Shame on me for not trading this turd for the truck load I was offered earlier this year. He is nothing more than a 3 catch 25 yard receiver at this point. What a shame to be on a team with goff as your qb, and a dumb coach like Mcvay. 
Past four weeks - three 6 catch games one 4 catch.  Three games with a td.

I know he's not getting what he should be getting but really man?

Goff isn’t even looking for him. He was wide open in the flat last play of half. Goff would rather through to that TE and have Kupp block. I’m absolutely baffled by this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Apparantly Higbee is now Cupp for blocking issues maybe? Its comical, but as long as you have a fat slow lineman to check down to. Bravo 

It’s crazy. Feels like he’s not playing a ton of snaps, not getting a ton of looks. Yet here we are again he finds the end zone. He’s really good but I had to bench him for Boyd and AJB.

It’s crazy. Feels like he’s not playing a ton of snaps, not getting a ton of looks. Yet here we are again he finds the end zone. He’s really good but I had to bench him for Boyd and AJB.
Benched him too. Was feeling pretty smart unti he scored ( yet again)

Td was a fluke, he had 9 yards before that. He isn't even being looked at, hasn't done anything since. Goff thought he was Higbee 

4 games in a row with a td.  Must all be flukes
Right.  I will say this though, he was huge in taking me to a title game with an injury to Kamara, but he's had a series of terrible weeks compared to earlier in the season.  I haven't started him in 4 weeks.  Thankfully, I've still been winning.

Cooper Kupp caught 4-of-4 targets for 31 yards and one touchdown in the Rams' Week 16 loss to the 49ers.

Kupp has averaged four receptions and under 40 yards since Week 10 with Robert Woods and TE Tyler Higbee emerging as the clear-cut top targets in the offense. Part of Kupp's fall can be explained by a higher rate of two-TE sets, which has sent Kupp's snap counts down. The slot receiver is still a playmaker when he gets chances -- he worked his way open for a 22-yard touchdown tonight -- but he can't be viewed as a top-20 fantasy receiver in Week 17 even with the Rams hosting the Cardinals given his recent target totals.

Last edited by a moderator:
Agree with this.  Guy is money on third downs and in the redzone and he needs to go to a team that sees it.
Not only with his usage but how they are now building a team. Drafting Akers high IMO over other needs, ignoring oline which has been a major issue. Their moves and choices seem scattered to me. 

How they used him in the first half of last season was great.   I'll never understand how they went away from that. 

I think Kupp is in a win-win scenario. Stay in LAR then they are committing to getting him the ball for the 2-3 seasons they will pay him. Go somewhere else and it's a situation where his skills are going to fit. I'd love to see him end up in GB but their 21 cap situation isnt great
If he actually gets to FA he would be a fantastic fit to take over for Edelman/Welker...the Pats will easily have the $ to get him as well.

For transparency, Kupp is one of my keepers in a keep-4 league.

I'm a believer in his talent, first and foremost.  The situation this year deserves some analysis, after he became a decoy in the second half of 2019.  I don't follow the Rams closely, but I would be surprised if they are back to the 2-3 TE sets they used in the latter stages of last year.  Teams have the tape now.

Of course, McVay may scheme up something else crazy, but I would be hard-pressed to see another radical scheme that doesn't involve Kupp.  Maybe I'm a fanboy.

With Goff's absurd contract, I imagine the Rams let Kupp walk in free agency.  They did draft a WR this year, though I don't know much about that fellow.

How does he play out in 2020?

1st half of the season--87 targets in 8 games.  Blistering target pace. 

2nd half when Higbee took off--47 targets in 7 games--on pace for less than 100.  

I figure with Cooks gone, he should see a ton of looks--but is the 2nd half of the season the best indicator of how they'll use him in 2020?

"The Rams might be moving to more of a two-tight end offense if the trajectory of 2019 is any indication and that’s not good for Kupp. The Rams also drafted a receiver with a similar skillset in the second round when they took Van Jefferson out of Florida. Kupp’s red hot start to the season hides his downward pointing arrow when we look at year-end stats."

Are you buying what Bloom is selling?  Not me.

"The Rams might be moving to more of a two-tight end offense if the trajectory of 2019 is any indication and that’s not good for Kupp. The Rams also drafted a receiver with a similar skillset in the second round when they took Van Jefferson out of Florida. Kupp’s red hot start to the season hides his downward pointing arrow when we look at year-end stats."

Are you buying what Bloom is selling?  Not me.
The writing was on the wall the second half of the season. He became touchdown dependent and was not on the field as much. I am concerned as a current owner.

1st of all, any does one really think Jefferson hurts Kupp?  If anything it affects Josh Reynolds.

Does the 2nd half of last year become the new norm?  Hardly.  He even had 5 TDs the last half of the season.

1st of all, any does one really think Jefferson hurts Kupp?  If anything it affects Josh Reynolds.

Does the 2nd half of last year become the new norm?  Hardly.  He even had 5 TDs the last half of the season.
What hurts Kupp is not being on the field. That was the case last year in the second half of the season. 12 personal will again limit his opportunities if that is the route they go.

Jefferson could absolutely effect whether the Rams resign Kupp after this year. They drafted Jefferson higher than they drafted Kupp.

Thanks

the rams trading Cooks was such a huge boost to Kupps value. He should be on the field so much more

Jefferson is nothing like Kupp; I have zero concerns about him
Problem is Reynolds is now the deep threat. Woods will stay on the field and Kupp was on the sidelines in favor of Cooks/Reynolds in 12 sets (I imagine due to blocking and/or deep route preference). With the early investment in running back (and 4th round TE) I think they will continue the 12 personal leaving Kupp susceptible to less field time. Obviously just a guess but it seems to be lining up that way.

Problem is Reynolds is now the deep threat. Woods will stay on the field and Kupp was on the sidelines in favor of Cooks/Reynolds in 12 sets (I imagine due to blocking and/or deep route preference). With the early investment in running back (and 4th round TE) I think they will continue the 12 personal leaving Kupp susceptible to less field time. Obviously just a guess but it seems to be lining up that way.
Not according to Dodd's with Kupp at WR13 and Woods at WR20. 

This seems to be what happened towards the end of last year. The 12 personnel often times didn’t include Kupp and my perception was Reynolds was in a lot in his place, not just Cooks. Maybe for speed, maybe for blocking. Now I wouldn’t be panic selling either but it is a concern of mine.

Jefferson is nothing like Kupp; I have zero concerns about him
Both were late risers in the draft community due to performances at the Senior bowl, and both have been praised as being among the top route runners in their class. 
They seem similar enough to me in that regard 

Users who are viewing this thread