What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Cooper Kupp, LAR (3 Viewers)

Penguin

Footballguy
Kid caught 15 passes for 246 yards and 3 TD's last night against Oregon.

I couldn't find much on this kid other than he scored 17 TD's last year and had 21 as a freshmen.

Has anyone seen this kid play? I know they aren't televised a whole lot, so I'm hoping some locals can chime in.

ETA: I found his previous stats...

2013 Freshman 93/1691/21

2014 Sophomore 104/1431/17

Joe Edit - Don't change the thread title again. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I recorded the game yesterday, but only watched Oregon drives. Did notice his production though.

Had another big game this week. 14/161/2 with a 24 passing TD and a 76 yard punt return.

64/951/12 thru 6 games

Gil Brandt started pimping him today.

Gil Brandt@Gil_Brandt 18m18 minutes ago
With 49 career TDs, Kupp is also third in FCS/D-I-AA, behind David Ball of New Hampshire (58) and Jerry Rice of Miss. Valley State (50).

Cooper's grandfather, Jake, was a 1964 #NFLDraft choice of the @DallasCowboys and played 12 seasons in the NFL.

Rotoworld:

Eastern Washington junior WR Cooper Kupp will be in the NFL "sooner rather than later" and is leaning towards opting into the draft early, reports TFY Draft Insider's Tony Pauline.

It's time to learn Kupp's name, reader. He's putting up insane numbers this year. Through six games, Kupp has posted 64 receptions, 941 yards and 12 touchdowns. Yes, he plays at the sub-division level, but Kupp also slapped down 15 receptions, 246 receiving yards and three scores against Oregon in the opener. "Several sources tell me Kupp will opt for the draft once the season concludes," Pauline wrote. "Where will he be selected? Kupp measures in the range of 6-feet/1-inch and 200lbs. If he can run in the low 4.4’s at the combine he could sneak into the draft’s top 100 picks otherwise I feel he’ll land in the top half of day three."

Source: TFY Draft Insider

Oct 20 - 6:45 PM

Bleacher Report's Ryan McCrystal calls Eastern Washington senior WR Cooper Kupp "one of the most talented receivers in the 2017 draft class."
"Kupp doesn't have the speed to consistently create separation down the field, but he runs crisp routes and has the reliable hands to be a dominant receiver on short and intermediate routes," he wrote. The 6-foot-1, 200-pound Kupp had 114 catches for 1,642 yards and 19 touchdowns last year and decimated Oregon for 246 yards and three touchdowns on 15 catches. If you want to check him out, you'll get a chance early, as Eastern Washington opens with high-profile games against Washington State and North Dakota State. "With two strong games against his toughest competition, Kupp could cement his status as a future top-100 NFL draft pick," McCrystal wrote.

Source: Bleacher Report 
Jun 3 - 8:04 PM

Have followed him the past couple years and really like him as a player. He's faster on the field than David Ball (who ran 4.6 range IIRC when he came out but still had UDFA opps) but he still lacks long speed IMO.

I liken him closer to Atlanta Falcons WR Justin Hardy as far as comparables go. Mostly a possession WR with size to play outside but may have to try and live inside as a Slot WR who can be capable of going across the middle and being a sure handed receiver.

Only needs 1 TD to tie the FCS/D-I-AA record. He should smash it as he's averaging 19 a year.

311/4764/57 coming into his senior year

Bleacher Report's David Kenyan says a "Day 1 or Day 2 draft slot" for Eastern Washington senior WR Cooper Kupp "wouldn't be surprising."
Kenyan prefaces by saying Kupp isn't likely to leap JuJu Smith-Schuster (USC) or Mike Williams (Clemson) on draft boards, but cautions readers not to overlook him. Statistically, Kupp is on another level. He has never ended any season with fewer than 93 receptions, 1,431 yards or 16 touchdowns. Overall, the 6-foot-1, 200-pound Kupp has 311 catches, 4,764 yards and 56 touchdowns on campus. He's not just decimating FCS defensive backs. Kupp punked Oregon for a 15-246-3 line last year and Washington for a 8-145-3 line in 2014.

Source: Bleacher Report
Jun 16 - 5:17 PM

Kupp's production has been huge, in terms of both raw totals and market share. In 2015 he accounted for 43% of his team's receiving yards and 56% of their passing TDs (excluding his pass attempts), both of which are good enough to put him up among the FBS leaders. It's harder to judge an FCS player, but he's been tearing it up exactly like you'd want someone to do against that level of competition.

Eastern Washington senior WR Cooper Kupp caught 12 passes for 2016 yards and three touchdowns in the school's 45-42 upset of Washington State.

Kupp added 22 passing yards on a single completion and 29 rushing yards on two carries. Kupp is an absolute stud and has a real shot of being a top three round pick this spring. He flirted with entering the 2016 draft, but ultimately stayed in school for one more season. At 6-foot-2, 195-pounds, Kupp displayed catch and run skills on a 75 yard score, along with body control and a shorter fade route in the endzone.

Prior to this season I've read multiple scouts have him in that third round range, with one suggesting he might be a late second rounder.

Prior to this season I've read multiple scouts have him in that third round range, with one suggesting he might be a late second rounder.
.  That would shock me, unless he really tests well.  

23-year-old white 1-AA WR.

I should say I have never seen him play, I'm ONLY basing this on the above fact.  

At the current rankings, I believe that Kupp might be ranked in the top 100 or so, but there are a whole bunch of redshirt soph and true juniors that are going to reveal themselves, and will come from bigger schools, and be 2+ years younger.  

HIGHLIGHTS

HIGHLIGHTS

Kupp is the real deal.  His coaches can't stop talking about how good this kid really is.  Opposing coaches can't stop talking about dropping the ball in not recruiting him.  This kid will play on Sundays next year.  It is a small sample size, but he has dominated D1 level teams.

NFL.com's Daniel Jeremiah ranked Eastern Washington WR Cooper Kupp as the No. 44 overall prospect.
In a top-50 Big Board published Tuesday, the analyst lauded Kupp's combination of "outstanding size and solid play speed" and passed along a belief that despite Kupp's small-school pedigree, he's ready to make "an immediate impact in the NFL." Ludicrously productive at EWU, Kupp finished 2016 with 117 catches for 1,700 yards and 17 touchdowns. "He uses his physicality to power through press coverage and is a very precise route runner," Jeremiah wrote. "He uses his body to shield off defenders and has the ability to adjust and make contested catches down the field. He has very strong hands. After the catch, he flashes some burst, and he's a physical runner."

Source: NFL.com 
Jan 19 - 1:09 PM

Apologies if I'm missing something but what's the negative focus on Kupp being white?

I understand that the majority of WR are not white but are people playing the percentages or just being racist?

Living in the UK, I don't get to see a huge amount of college football but the highlights look impressive and his numbers clearly stand out...

I understand that the majority of WR are not white but are people playing the percentages or just being racist?
Racist. It's the same with McCaffrey, but people are finally getting past that fact as draft analysts agree the kid is really good regardless of his skin color.

Racist. It's the same with McCaffrey, but people are finally getting past that fact as draft analysts agree the kid is really good regardless of his skin color.
Racist? Please. It's playing the percentages. (More so with McCaffrey than WRs) If you look at the top white WRs in the league, how many were first or second round picks? I can't think of one off the top of my head. This isn't because coaches and GMs who's jobs rely on finding talent are racist, but them playing the percentages. I mean there was a time in the 60's, 70's, and even 80's when there were many white RBs, WRs, and even cornerbacks, are you implying there was less racism back then? The exact same thing has happened in the NBA. Go back and look at the all NBA teams from the 70's and 80's and compare them to this last decade. 

Racist? Please. It's playing the percentages. (More so with McCaffrey than WRs) If you look at the top white WRs in the league, how many were first or second round picks? I can't think of one off the top of my head. This isn't because coaches and GMs who's jobs rely on finding talent are racist, but them playing the percentages. I mean there was a time in the 60's, 70's, and even 80's when there were many white RBs, WRs, and even cornerbacks, are you implying there was less racism back then? The exact same thing has happened in the NBA. Go back and look at the all NBA teams from the 70's and 80's and compare them to this last decade. 
Jordy Nelson

I understand you disagree. You've made the same % arguments with McCaffrey. I play the %'s as well, but that does not eliminate that there exists a racist undertone to it. It is what it is. 

I understand you disagree. You've made the same % arguments with McCaffrey. I play the %'s as well, but that does not eliminate that there exists a racist undertone to it. It is what it is. 
I just don't see how you can think there's more racism at play today than there was in the 60's and 70's. The game has simply changed into a faster more athletic game. It's not coincidence that there hasn't been a white corner in the league for twenty years, or that year in and year out 32 out of 32 starting RBs are black. There's no racism in that, they are simply the best players, but we will have to agree to disagree.

So back to Kupp. With the info we have right now (pre combine), where do you feel comfortable drafting him? He's 23, dominating small school talent. That bumps him down a bit. I'm thinking late 2 early 3 at this point. 

I just don't see how you can think there's more racism at play today than there was in the 60's and 70's. The game has simply changed into a faster more athletic game. It's not coincidence that there hasn't been a white corner in the league for twenty years, or that year in and year out 32 out of 32 starting RBs are black. There's no racism in that, they are simply the best players, but we will have to agree to disagree.
The racism would be in assuming that the current mix of white to black players at a position automatically means (or even impacts) that the next crop of white and black players will conform to that ratio.  That would be assigning characteristics of a class to individuals without regard for their individual quality, which sounds rather definitionally like racism.

The racism would be in assuming that the current mix of white to black players at a position automatically means (or even impacts) that the next crop of white and black players will conform to that ratio.  That would be assigning characteristics of a class to individuals without regard for their individual quality, which sounds rather definitionally like racism.
This was what I was trying to get at. I feel there's an element of racism (intended or not) to base decisions on race rather than the numbers and what you see on tape.

Snorkelson makes a good point in that Kupp is playing against all school talent and is a little older than normal at 23. Does anyone have any comparative cases and how they went on to perform in the NFL?

So back to Kupp. With the info we have right now (pre combine), where do you feel comfortable drafting him? He's 23, dominating small school talent. That bumps him down a bit. I'm thinking late 2 early 3 at this point. 
I agree, probably early to mid third.

Nine more yards and four fewer tds than his freshman season. He's been dominant from a very early age. I dont know where i fall on him but i do know that him being 23 wont matter a damn bit with my evals.

Snorkelson makes a good point in that Kupp is playing against all school talent and is a little older than normal at 23. Does anyone have any comparative cases and how they went on to perform in the NFL?
Terrell Owens was first guy to come to mind and minute after I posted thus I realized I forgot the GOAT.

Last edited by a moderator:
NFL Media's Mike Mayock says Eastern Washington WR Cooper Kupp is "going to play and play well very early in his NFL career."
"He's fast," Mayock, reporting from the Senior Bowl, said. "He won deep, he won shallow, he beat press coverage. He can win at all three levels. And he gets it." One of college football's most productive receivers over the past few years, Kupp had 117 catches for 1,700 yards and 17 touchdowns last season. He lit up the two Pac-12 teams he faced at EWU for 22 catches and six touchdowns.

Source: NFL.com 
Jan 25 - 3:29 PM

Users who are viewing this thread