What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Cooper Kupp, LAR (3 Viewers)

Yes but the team did better when they involved Kupp. That was clear. I’m not ready to bail, however as a dynasty owner I’m expecting him to not be a Ram in 2021. There could be a lot of opportunities for him in that high volume role. He was still quite efficient last year, which gives me some excitement on his future. 
I think this is pretty likely too, especially with the rumors in the other threads on Cooks/Gurley, etc. about the owner being broke and them jettisoning salary no matter what the consequences to the team.

I don't know what to do with him.  

I see a guy with 94 receptions, 1100 yards and 10 TD's and think STUD.  Give me all the shares.  

But after the bye--his targets, receptions and yards all died.  He saved himself with some TD production.  I had him in my top 10 WR's earlier in the spring, but after diggin more--he's flirting with #20.  Woods on the other hand is  near the top 10, haha.  

He'll be a year removed from the ACL tear.  But, I think a lot of his production is going to Higbee.  The talent is certainly there, but if they've changed the scheme away from him, he's hard to trust.

I don't know what to do with him.  

I see a guy with 94 receptions, 1100 yards and 10 TD's and think STUD.  Give me all the shares.  

But after the bye--his targets, receptions and yards all died.  He saved himself with some TD production.  I had him in my top 10 WR's earlier in the spring, but after diggin more--he's flirting with #20.  Woods on the other hand is  near the top 10, haha.  

He'll be a year removed from the ACL tear.  But, I think a lot of his production is going to Higbee.  The talent is certainly there, but if they've changed the scheme away from him, he's hard to trust.
He’s bar none our best red zone pass catcher and has been his entire career, he’s also the WR Goff trusts most.  No way he get schemed out of the season.  He’ll get his like he basically always has.  

He’s bar none our best red zone pass catcher and has been his entire career, he’s also the WR Goff trusts most.  No way he get schemed out of the season.  He’ll get his like he basically always has.  
Where do you see his volume?  1st half of the season was like top 6?  Second half was abysmal.  Tough to gauge for next year?

Where do you see his volume?  1st half of the season was like top 6?  Second half was abysmal.  Tough to gauge for next year?
Right in the middle of that honestly.  It’s certainly tough to gauge but McVay is well aware of his value and importance to the offense and will scheme him into the adjustments made at the end of the year last year.  I’m not saying or thinking he’s a WR1 like he was for the first half of the year but he’s rock solid high end 2  (13-15 range, PPR).  

Bob N. Weaver said:
So this says that Kupp will score 1 TD against divisional opponents when he scored 5 against them last year.  OK
As a Kupp fan his td numbers to end the season were very flukey.  Managed to get one in nearly every game (might have been every game don't remember) after the rams had moved to a two te base that put him on the sideline.  There's bound to be negative td regression this year.

As a Kupp fan his td numbers to end the season were very flukey.  Managed to get one in nearly every game (might have been every game don't remember) after the rams had moved to a two te base that put him on the sideline.  There's bound to be negative td regression this year.
He’s always been targeted in red zone though

The only TD Kupp had in the 2nd half of the season against divisional opponents was one vs the Seahawks.  So 4 of his 5 TDs against the division last year was in the 1st half of the season, so I see no correlation to what you say to support a TD regression against the division opponents  (what the article says).

The Rams have yet to open extension talks with contract-year WR Cooper Kupp.

“We haven’t had any conversations so far,” Kupp said in a videoconference. “I love it here. I don’t want to go anywhere. In terms of all the contract stuff, I’m letting that be handled by my agent and staying out of it." The Rams have the second lowest cap space in the league and there haven't been many extensions given out with the uncertainty of the season. They should still get something done with Kupp, who's coming off career highs entering the final year of his rookie deal. The Rams also need to extend contract-year CB Jalen Ramsey.

SOURCE: ProFootballTalk on NBCSports

Aug 8, 2020, 11:33 AM ET

Rams coach Sean McVay said Cooper Kupp is only dealing with ankle "soreness".

McVay didn't even call this an injury and fully expects him to participate in all Week 1 activities. It keeps Kupp in the WR2 mix in late fantasy drafts alongside Robert Woods. With the Rams expected to pass the ball at near league-high rates, there's a path to both Kupp and Woods posting top-20 fantasy seasons in 2020. Kupp just may have to play more snaps outside if the Rams up their two-tight end set usage.

SOURCE: Omar Ruiz on Twitter

Aug 31, 2020, 5:25 PM ET

NFL Beat Writers @32BeatWriters

Everett: "Definitely, with us going to 12 personnel more often. I like to think that we’d have more extended roles, but (when) game time come, we’ll all see."

More 12 personnel usage would likely mean less snaps for Cooper Kupp, similar to the end of last season.
https://twitter.com/32beatwriters/status/1301167221553664000?s=21

NFL Beat Writers @32BeatWriters

Kupp still finished the year with a touchdown in each of the last 5 games, despite the decrease in snap percentage. #Rams
https://twitter.com/32beatwriters/status/1301167431856140296?s=21

Kupp owner and I’m not optimistic.  He was saved last year by some late and garbage time TD’s and usage.

Hope I’m wrong but think he’s being overdrafted.

I have a feeling (more hope I guess) that Kupp is with the Pats next year.
We'll see this year if slot wr for the pats is what it used to be.  But yes him finding a role where slot is heavily used could be better for him than stuck on Rams using more 2TE sets.

NFL Network's Steve Wyche reports the Rams are working on an extension for contract-year WR Cooper Kupp.

After getting Jalen Ramsey signed and sealed Wednesday, GM Les Snead is turning his attention to Kupp. The "hope" is to get it done before Sunday, but "there is a lot of work to be done," according to Wyche. Snead has handed out a ton of big-money deals recently, and Kupp's will likely be no different. Kupp will probably be eyeing something similar to what Keenan Allen got -- four years and "more than" $80 million -- from the Chargers last weekend.

SOURCE: Steve Wyche on Twitter

Sep 9, 2020, 4:54 PM ET

Rams owner Stan Kroenke must be sh*tting golden eggs.  Rams now have three players that earn $20M+ (Jared Goff, Aaron Donald, and now Jalen Ramsey).  Where the heck do Rams getting cash influx?

Rams owner Stan Kroenke must be sh*tting golden eggs.  Rams now have three players that earn $20M+ (Jared Goff, Aaron Donald, and now Jalen Ramsey).  Where the heck do Rams getting cash influx?
Well, Stan is married to a Walmart Heiress, from whom he purchases the land I believe to build said stadium on, for starters. Not to mention the value increase from Nashville to Los Angeles. 

NFL Network's Mike Garafolo reports the Rams are close to an extension with contract-year WR Cooper Kupp.

The Rams have been in talks with Kupp after getting a deal done with Jalen Ramsey. The sides have made "significant progress" over the last few days and could finalize an extension before Week 1.  27-year-old Kupp is coming off career highs in 2019. He's likely to get $20 million annually.

SOURCE: NFL Network

Sep 12, 2020, 11:55 AM ET

Well, Stan is married to a Walmart Heiress, from whom he purchases the land I believe to build said stadium on, for starters. Not to mention the value increase from Nashville to Los Angeles. 
Jerry Jones walked him down the aisle to the other owners to move the Rams to Los Angeles which created boatloads of cash/assets for all the NFL owners which went decades with no team in Los Angeles, they are all cashing in on Kroenke and Jerry Jones is a financial genius in terms of NFL Finances, the guy is totally revered by the other 31 owners, Jerry Jones makes money for ALL the Owners, Jones is really the Commish behind the curtains for all practical purposes. 

But yeah that Kroenke has money coming out the wazoo, the Stadium is going to be worth Billions in terms of the land and the way it's used, also he gets rent from the Chargers using it as their home even though they haven't had much of a hand in building an inch of it. 

Great posts, thanks. 

I think you have to look at the Rams entire offense and when you start working it out on paper, it's not hard to want Kupp, not sure where he gets drafted but I've owned him since he entered the league, I've seen amazing things and I've also had some frustration and it's easy to be persuaded by the good times and overlook the bad. 

Goff is infuriating and i think many are still on the fence if he is actually an NFL quality QB or going to be out of a job in the next year or two despite getting all that money. 

That Super Bowl vs New England feels like 5 years ago at this point...but in the end he really has the best hands of anyone on the Rams and runs the slot as good as almost anyone in the league and is about to be paid like it...so there's that. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Rams signed WR Cooper Kupp to a three-year, $48 million extension.

The Rams went with a short-term deal for Kupp, who settled for less than the $20 million annually Keenan Allen got from the Chargers. Kupp's $16 million APY still places him in the top-12 for receivers. Kupp set career highs in 2019 and should take a step forward after the Rams moved on from Brandin Cooks. Signing this extension gives Kupp a chance to land another big contract in his age-31 season.

SOURCE: NFL Network

Sep 12, 2020, 12:53 PM ET

Set to make about $2M this year, he will start that contract in 2021, good for both sides i think, he will still be ripe for a big contract when the 3/48 runs its course. Either way, good for Cooper Kupp, life changing money and I have confidence he will do great things on and off the field, good for him. 

Hmm. I was trying to use him as a piece in trades to land an RB, but might have to re-think that now and maybe use a different WR. The extension secures more solid projections beyond this season 

From an NFL standpoint, I can't help but feel like this is just another example of the Rams throwing money around, and it likely costing them later. Kupp is a solid WR, but its very clear he's not a #1, and hasn't shown any ability to win anywhere other than the slot. He's the perfect example of a guy a team should let walk after his rookie deal is up, because his skill set is easily replaceable. 

From a fantasy standpoint, it solidifies Kupp's long term value, as there might not have been a better situation than the Rams are in the NFL for Kupp. Solid WR2 going forward, as long as McVay is around, and unless the Rams completely bottom out, McVay should be around for years to come.

From an NFL standpoint, I can't help but feel like this is just another example of the Rams throwing money around, and it likely costing them later. Kupp is a solid WR, but its very clear he's not a #1, and hasn't shown any ability to win anywhere other than the slot. He's the perfect example of a guy a team should let walk after his rookie deal is up, because his skill set is easily replaceable. 

From a fantasy standpoint, it solidifies Kupp's long term value, as there might not have been a better situation than the Rams are in the NFL for Kupp. Solid WR2 going forward, as long as McVay is around, and unless the Rams completely bottom out, McVay should be around for years to come.
Every team has a guy that has racked up 195+ balls, 2,500+ yds and 21 TDs inside of their first 3 seasons while missing 10 starts to injuries over the last 2 seasons, league is just loaded with them, right? 

Being a proto #1 has nothing to do with being key to acquiring a Lombardi.  Kupp is kept for the latter.

Every team has a guy that has racked up 195+ balls, 2,500+ yds and 21 TDs inside of their first 3 seasons while missing 10 starts to injuries over the last 2 seasons, league is just loaded with them, right? 
That wasn't my point at all. McVay's offense(and Goff's skittish nature) inflates slot WR production. Those numbers are nice, but I do think there are a lot of guys who could have done similarly in that offense. 

Kupp is a good wr and this is another dumb move by the Rams. Both things can be true. If they weren't in an awful cap situation then it may be a justifiable extension, but they are so it isnt. 

That wasn't my point at all. McVay's offense(and Goff's skittish nature) inflates slot WR production. Those numbers are nice, but I do think there are a lot of guys who could have done similarly in that offense.
MOP is spot on.  Guy is getting knocked for doing exactly what he suppose to do, dominate in the position he's playing.  Has nothing to do with his skills it's all McVay's O.  Come on man. I've watched every snap and am a fan of McVay but Kupp is special, especially in and out of breaks and with the ball in his hand.  I'm not claiming he's in the very top tier of WR's  (MT, Julio, etc) but he is in the next.  Every single team in the league would love to have him on their rosters.  He and Woods are criminally under appreciated.   

MOP is spot on.  Guy is getting knocked for doing exactly what he suppose to do, dominate in the position he's playing.  Has nothing to do with his skills it's all McVay's O.  Come on man. I've watched every snap and am a fan of McVay but Kupp is special, especially in and out of breaks and with the ball in his hand.  I'm not claiming he's in the very top tier of WR's  (MT, Julio, etc) but he is in the next.  Every single team in the league would love to have him on their rosters.  He and Woods are criminally under appreciated.   
I'll agree that Woods is underrated. He wins at every level of the field, and both inside and outside. I feel like Woods is quite a bit better than Kupp, and if Kupp's extension costs them Woods, as some earlier on the thread suggested it may, then its another step in the wrong direction for the Rams.

I think Woods is in that 2nd tier of WR's, and Kupp is probably in the 3rd tier. 

I don't disagree that every team would love to have a guy like Kupp, but not at 16m a year. That is 9.2m a year more than Woods, despite Woods only being a year older. With Woods likely needing/wanting a new deal next off season(2022 FA) its gonna be tough to keep them both.

I don't disagree that every team would love to have a guy like Kupp, but not at 16m a year. That is 9.2m a year more than Woods, despite Woods only being a year older. With Woods likely needing/wanting a new deal next off season(2022 FA) its gonna be tough to keep them both.
Can’t compare those 2 contracts. They were done years apart and before Woods real ascension. 

@Penguin how about a thread title rename? hasn't been in college for a long itme

Cooper Kupp caught 4-of-5 targets for 40 yards in Week 1 against Dallas.

Kupp was an afterthought a day after signing a three-year extension. The Rams went run heavy with Cam Akers and Malcolm Brown, racking up 40 rushing attempts. Kupp's five targets were still second behind only Robert Woods. Kupp should rebound in a plus Week 2 matchup with the Eagles.

- Rotoworld

Last edited by a moderator:
Cooper Kupp caught 9-of-10 targets for 107 yards and a touchdown in the Rams' Week 3 loss to the Bills. 

Every number, including the touchdown, was a new season high for a wideout who had been held to 9/121/0 through Weeks 1 and 2. Kupp has seen his yardage go from 40 to 81 to 107. A spread-the-wealth offense that wants to lean on the run, the Rams' passing-game distribution could be difficult to predict on a weekly basis, but both Kupp and Robert Woods will see enough volume to remain locked in as WR2s. 

Sep 27, 2020, 5:08 PM ET

Cooper Kupp caught 5-of-7 targets for 69 yards and a touchdown in Week 4 against the Giants. 

Kupp, along with every other Rams player, did absolutely nothing until his 55-yard catch-and-run touchdown in the fourth quarter. The Rams seem intent on operating a run-heavy offense when they can, making Kupp and Robert Woods low-floor options more times than not. Kupp will be a worthwhile WR3 next week against Washington. 

Oct 4, 2020, 7:07 PM ET

Cooper Kupp caught 3-of-9 targets for 11 yards in Week 6 against the 49ers.

This is the first dud of the season for Kupp, who had at least five catches and 60 yards in four straight games. Kupp’s nine targets were behind only Robert Woods (10). The Rams got dominated in time of possession, leading to Kupp’s season lows. Kupp is a WR3 for a shy-away Week 7 matchup with Chicago.

Oct 19, 2020, 12:09 AM ET

Users who are viewing this thread