Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Tyrell Williams, Raiders WR (Deep dynasty watch)

15 hours ago, voiceofunreason said:

Sort of. Rivers has always been good for his wrs. A more likely scenario sees him out of the league in a couple years or a bench player.

Rivers has always been good for the Chargers' WR1.  He's rarely if ever been good for the team's WR2, even though FFers have been chasing that dream his whole career.

• Like 4
  • Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's worth rereading this thread from the start, but highlights are that - he came from a small school last year and was undrafted - he has great height and measurables (90th percentile SPAR

Combination of elite physical skills and opportunity. The best case way to view this for Williams is as follows: #1 target Allen is out for the year. Original #3 WR Stevie is out for the

The Cleveland Plain Dealer reports the Browns are expected to have "strong interest" in free agent Tyrell Williams.

Williams has also been connected to the Colts and Raiders. Williams would seem an unlikely candidate for a free agent bidding frenzy, but the receiver market is quite thin. Although he's long been stuck in a complementary role, Williams never struggled to make big plays with the Chargers. Even if he's overpaid, Williams would be a welcome addition to Baker Mayfield's receiver corps.

RELATED: 

Cleveland Browns

SOURCE: Cleveland Plain Dealer

Mar 7, 2019, 4:25 PM

Raiders agreed to terms with WR Tyrell WIlliams, formerly of the Chargers.

Williams' market never really developed, and the Raiders were the lone team connected to him from the start. Big and fast at 6'4/205 with 4.40 wheels, Williams will stay in the AFC West and team up with Antonio Brown and Jordy Nelson in the Raiders' new three-wide set. Nelson figures to spend much of his time in the slot with Brown and Williams outside. After playing third or fourth fiddle with the Chargers, Williams will probably fight with Nelson for scraps behind alpha dog Brown. As is always the case with Williams, he'll have some big weeks here and there but is unlikely to be a reliable fantasy weapon outside of best ball formats.

RELATED: 

Los Angeles Chargers

SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Mar 13, 2019, 12:08 PM

10 hours ago, ShamrockPride said:

With these new WRs, why couldn't the Raiders alter their game plan and start throwing a lot more? Like Ben/Rodgers/Stafford amount of throws? Seems that would be the way to go now.

Trying to do it isn’t the same as pulling it off.

21 minutes ago, Bronco Billy said:

Trying to do it isn’t the same as pulling it off.

Maybe upgrade at QB?   Rumors of "loving QB Kyler Murray"?  

Or allow Oak OC Greg Olsen time to scheme for his WR.  OC Olsen  supposedly help J Goff into Top 10 Passer under LAR HC McVay .  If Gruden gives him full control, I expect to see more Passes in 2019.  

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Five Observations from Day One of the Oakland Raiders Mandatory Minicamp

Excerpt:

Don’t sleep on Tyrell Williams either…

Antonio Brown has understandably garnered a ton of attention since arriving in the Bay Area, but one guy that I’ve been impressed by throughout the entire Offseason Workout Program is another wideout the Raiders signed this offseason – Tyrell Williams.

With 52 appearances under his belt, the former Los Angeles Charger has his best football still ahead of him, and watching practice Tuesday, I was struck by just how smoothly Williams does everything.

From running routes, to going through drills and catching passes, everything that No. 16 does looks so fluid, and I really can’t wait to watch more of him throughout training camp and the preseason.

Brown is going to be the recipient of a ton of defensive attention this year, and I think that Tyrell Williams is going to be one of the biggest benefactors of those eyes being on No. 84.

• 2 months later...

I think Williams is the talented deep threat that the Raiders have been missing for a few years now. They've often had guys with speed, but not the agility/polish/hands to make something out of Carr's deep balls. I've been worried in the past about Carr losing some strength, but seeing him toss a few in preseason mitigates those doubts.

That said, as excited as I am for his prospects this year,  I can see Williams being more of a contributor to his NFL team than fantasy teams -- especially in PPR. I think he might be streaky in terms of how he gets his catches/yards depending on game script, and can see Carr spreading the ball around a lot, especially to Jacobs out of the backfield and to Renfrow who looks like a huge asset in the slot.

Because of this, I think Williams is a little more apt to have big games and then disappear for others as the game script or more aggressive Ds shift the timing and calls to more check downs, and used tactically to keep Ds honest to stretch them over the top.

48 minutes ago, Just Win Baby said:

I never thought I would see the day where the word 'polish' was used to describe Tyrell. He has definitely improved, though.

It was used relatively.

We had Jordy Nelson who, while very polished was completely busted and largely ignored as lame duck decoy in the passing game.

After that? A suspended Martavis Bryant and a cast of nobodies like Seth "Drop Machine" Roberts, Dwyane Harris (ST contributor way more than a receiving threat), Marcell Ateman (not a starting WR talent and relegated to our PS this year where he arguably belongs), Keon Hatcher (waived by us twice), and Brandon LaFell (perennial journeyman who played when others needed a breather before tearing his achilles).

Polish is in the eye of the beholder.

1 hour ago, Just Win Baby said:

I never thought I would see the day where the word 'polish' was used to describe Tyrell. He has definitely improved, though.

This article caught my eye when I was drafting a dynasty start-up in early August. 

It’s one of the reasons I’m high on Tyrell as a sleeper this year. 

He was a pure deep threat speed guy with the chargers. 

If his work with Calhoun was as positive as reported, he could indeed be polished 

I have a lot of respect for guys who try to improve their game. 

https://www.sfchronicle.com/raiders/article/Raiders-Tyrell-Williams-not-just-a-No-2-14284971.php

Edited by Hot Sauce Guy
3 hours ago, Hot Sauce Guy said:

This article caught my eye when I was drafting a dynasty start-up in early August. 

It’s one of the reasons I’m high on Tyrell as a sleeper this year. 

He was a pure deep threat speed guy with the chargers. 

If his work with Calhoun was as positive as reported, he could indeed be polished 

I have a lot of respect for guys who try to improve their game. 

https://www.sfchronicle.com/raiders/article/Raiders-Tyrell-Williams-not-just-a-No-2-14284971.php

He has great speed, height, and athleticism, so that was always a significant role for him, but he didn't really earn/justify another role. The year he was forced into the WR1 role due to injuries, he frequently ran poor/wrong routes and failed to make contested catches. He did not play up to his athleticism. He got better in 2018, yet he still didn't warrant more than 66 targets.

IMO signing him for $10M+/year was a gamble. It seems unlikely to me that he will return sufficiently on that investment.

Edited by Just Win Baby
  • Like 1
6 minutes ago, Just Win Baby said:

He has great speed, height, and athleticism, so that was always a significant role for him, but he didn't really earn/justify another role. The year he was forced into the WR1 role due to injuries, he frequently ran poor/wrong routes and failed to make contested catches. He did not play up to his athleticism. He got better in 2018, yet he still didn't warrant more than 66 targets.

IMO signing him for $10M+/year was a gamble. It seems unlikely to me that he will return sufficiently on that investment.

If the route running has improved (per the article) then he could be a value at that price. 

Its pretty easy to imagine that speed was killing his route running. Hard to cut when you’re going 1000 mph. 

Reportedly he’s been learning to use different gears. 

Time will tell. Now that he’s a #2 he’ll be theoretically seeing lesser coverage talent. AB could be really good for Tyrell Williams numbers. 

A lot of that is on Carr though. 

2 hours ago, Just Win Baby said:

He’s basically on a 1 year deal with options for more. Only this year was guaranteed at 10 mil and while his next 3 years are at 11 mil, he can be cut with zero cap hit. His contract actually is pretty great for the Raiders if it works out and fine for them if it doesn’t. Conversely, the contract absolutely blows for him. I can’t imagine there weren’t other interested parties, his guaranteed money is so low that I actually wonder if he negotiated the contract himself

EDIT: definitely was wrong on the contract details,  I knew I was missing something. He got 20 guaranteed and 10 of that was for signing so basically, they can cut him next year and beyond for no cap hit but they have effectively paid for him next year anyway. It’s still a pretty flexible and cheap deal for Oakland 

Edited by gabes1919
Wrong on the details
9 hours ago, gabes1919 said:

He’s basically on a 1 year deal with options for more. Only this year was guaranteed at 10 mil and while his next 3 years are at 11 mil, he can be cut with zero cap hit. His contract actually is pretty great for the Raiders if it works out and fine for them if it doesn’t. Conversely, the contract absolutely blows for him. I can’t imagine there weren’t other interested parties, his guaranteed money is so low that I actually wonder if he negotiated the contract himself

EDIT: definitely was wrong on the contract details,  I knew I was missing something. He got 20 guaranteed and 10 of that was for signing so basically, they can cut him next year and beyond for no cap hit but they have effectively paid for him next year anyway. It’s still a pretty flexible and cheap deal for Oakland 

Actually, I looked it up, and it's better than that. $10M was guaranteed at signing, and his 2020 salary becomes guaranteed on 3/20/20. So he makes $10.1M this season and can be cut with zero further investment or cap hit. That is indeed a good contract for the Raiders. I doubt he will prove to be worth $10M this year, but that is a solid 1 year gamble.

11 hours ago, Hot Sauce Guy said:

Now that he’s a #2 he’ll be theoretically seeing lesser coverage talent. AB could be really good for Tyrell Williams numbers.

He was the Chargers' #3 WR last year, and was the #2 in 2017. He won't be seeing lesser coverage talent than in the past 2 seasons.

16 minutes ago, SoBeDad said:

And a drop from Rivers to Carr.

That's the biggest thing. With Brown an obvious target hound, Waller getting a lot of buzz and a being a potential mismatch, and Jacobs projected to be used heavily in the passing game how many passing yards are their to go around in a Derek Carr led offense?

1 hour ago, Just Win Baby said:

He was the Chargers' #3 WR last year, and was the #2 in 2017. He won't be seeing lesser coverage talent than in the past 2 seasons.

Right. But he was signed to be the Raiders WR1.

and now he’s not that.

and theoretically AB will command more attention than Keenan Allen, who’s such a different style of WR. 

Of course all this assumes 

1. The Raiders willingness to take deep shots to either

2. Carr is accurate on those deep shots to either WR

3. The OL can pass protect to allow time to take those deep shots

4. Jacobs is effective enough on the ground to get the play action game working. Yada yada yada, deep shots. 

I’m actually a little excited about this Raiders offense. They certainly have some weapons. Let’s see if Chucky can use them of if he steps on his own Richard. 

54 minutes ago, Dr. Octopus said:

That's the biggest thing. With Brown an obvious target hound, Waller getting a lot of buzz and a being a potential mismatch, and Jacobs projected to be used heavily in the passing game how many passing yards are their to go around in a Derek Carr led offense?

Also, if Carr is able to make his reads. 

This is the most talent he’s had at receiver. Let’s see if he knows how to use it.

on paper this is a potentially explosive offense. 

I’m eager to see how that translates to when the games count. AB went 2.04 so I had to settle for Hill at 2.05 - while that might work out well for me, it’s certainly possible that AB has another monster year, even with Carr. 

It's amazing to me how people forget how awesome Carr looked in 2016 before breaking his leg on X/Mas eve.  That offense was a machine and Carr looked like an MVP.  He's had injury and personnel issues since then but it's not like he hasn't shown he can be a franchise QB under the right circumstances.

Me, I remember the day the Raiders signed Williams.  I was extremely happy with the signing, I think he is a very solid NFL WR. 

People are looking right past Oakland this year, and maybe rightfully so.  But I have very guarded optimism, not just for this year, but the state of the team heading into next year's draft and the move to Vegas.  I know AB is a diva but I'd be lying if I said I didn't get a chubby watching him run routes and catch deep balls from Carr in practice.  I love Josh Jacobs and the other RB's have acquitted themselves fantastic in pre-season.  We have a lot of youth and potential on defense with a smattering of veteran leadership as well.

I like the look of this team heading into the season and count me as a Gruden fan.  Dude lives for the game and I think with a little success, the players are going to buy into his style as well.  Let everyone talk about KC and Mahomes and the other AFC stalwarts but just don't be surprised when the Raiders surprise and push for a playoff spot this year, well ahead of schedule when the sky was falling around the rubble of the Mack and Cooper trades.....

• Like 3
17 minutes ago, Hot Sauce Guy said:

Also, if Carr is able to make his reads. 

This is the most talent he’s had at receiver. Let’s see if he knows how to use it.

on paper this is a potentially explosive offense. 

I’m eager to see how that translates to when the games count. AB went 2.04 so I had to settle for Hill at 2.05 - while that might work out well for me, it’s certainly possible that AB has another monster year, even with Carr. 

Wut

• Laughing 1
2 hours ago, GoBirds said:

What's the ceiling here if the drama queen on the other side is gone? Debating if he's worth dropping a handcuff to be a strong wr2?

Ceiling? Strong WR2 sure, I think he's more likely a mid-low end WR2. Most of that is Derek Carr being a downgrade.

• Like 1