What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Tyrell Williams, DET - 9.22.21 - Concussion - Unlikely To Play Week 3 (1 Viewer)

I don't think your Allen will get hurt is correct but I'm hoping as a Odell owner who also has AJ green on bye that your right about tyrell this week
Look it's gonna happen. Allen is going down. I don't wish injury on anyone but this guy is made of glass.

One thing I'm looking at is Tyrell's future as I did keep him in a keeper league this year.  As an RFA, there's probably a good chance he's back in SD and stuck behind the same receiving/TE cohort, as another team would have to probably relinquish a draft pick to sign him.
It shouldn't be the entire cohort, since Gates will retire and Benjamin seems very likely to be released after this season due to his contract. But Williams would still likely be behind WR1 Allen, WR2 Mike Williams, TE Henry, and the RBs in the target pecking order. Barring injuries to that group, that suggests he won't be very valuable, though I'm sure that depends on league size/parameters.

I've been watching the Chargers, almost every game, for 30 years......I will remember your post. When Allen in on the IR, Mike Williams is done for the season because of his neck injury, and Tyrell Williams is the #1 receiver for the team, I'll be back to say I told you so. It's gonna happen and it's gonna happen soon. Believe me, I've seen it over and over again.
I call BS.  Everyone knows the only guaranteed IR status in the league is Tyler Eifert.

I call my shot. I got a pretty darn good record over the years. I'll be back when Tyrell is the #1 receiver, Keenan is on DL or IR, and Mike Williams is either re-injured or not involved much in games.

I like Tyrell this week against Oakland. 
Any particular reasoning?  Deciding whether to start.  Doesn't seem like much of a red zone target and conventional thinking is he'll be even less so with Mike Williams back.  Forecast big play(s)?

I've been watching the Chargers, almost every game, for 30 years......I will remember your post. When Allen in on the IR, Mike Williams is done for the season because of his neck injury, and Tyrell Williams is the #1 receiver for the team, I'll be back to say I told you so. It's gonna happen and it's gonna happen soon. Believe me, I've seen it over and over again.
You are over 30 years old? 

Just Win Baby said:
I don't really care. It was a joke, as shown by the wink. Tough guy.
Yeah right tough guy! LOL

I'm f'ng with you brutha. Really I ain't that worked up about something so stupid. But my point still stands. It will happen, it always happens. Chargers are snake bit and they have the worst conditioning program for players in the NFL. Keenan is a china doll. Mike Williams has a f'd up neck.....I can connect the dots

Rubi said:
Like him better than Mike Wallace,Coby Fleener and/or Eric Decker?

ostrich said:
Any particular reasoning?  Deciding whether to start.  Doesn't seem like much of a red zone target and conventional thinking is he'll be even less so with Mike Williams back.  Forecast big play(s)?
While TJ Carrie will be on Allen,  Tyrell will see a lot of Oakland’s outside corners, Amerson and Smith.  They allow a lot of big plays so Rivers will be taking a lot of shots downfield today,  Tyrell’s bread and butter.   

Last edited by a moderator:
3/27/0 on 3 targets yesterday, and he fumbled on the last catch. Could have been very costly since Oakland took over at midfield late 3Q, but the Chargers defense held.

This despite the fact that only 4 Chargers WRs played snaps on offense, and Mike Williams only played 11 snaps.

I don't think Tyrell is going to hold any fantasy value this season unless some guys ahead of him get hurt. I have him in a competitive dynasty league, and I'm not sure I will be able to hold him on the roster all season. He seems to have become unstartable, especially considering the upcoming schedule (DEN, @NE, bye, @JAX, BUF).

3/27/0 on 3 targets yesterday, and he fumbled on the last catch. Could have been very costly since Oakland took over at midfield late 3Q, but the Chargers defense held.

This despite the fact that only 4 Chargers WRs played snaps on offense, and Mike Williams only played 11 snaps.

I don't think Tyrell is going to hold any fantasy value this season unless some guys ahead of him get hurt. I have him in a competitive dynasty league, and I'm not sure I will be able to hold him on the roster all season. He seems to have become unstartable, especially considering the upcoming schedule (DEN, @NE, bye, @JAX, BUF).
I agree with you, but assuming ~300 players are rostered (guessing 12x25), I'd have a very, very hard time dropping him. I own him nowhere, but would gladly scoop him up if he was dropped. Well, I can't say gladly... just realized he's a restricted FA next year, so he'll possibly languish for 1.5 more years on the bench since I don't see anything changing (Benjamin, Allen, Henry will all be around next year). But he's still talented and young. Has to be a top 300 dynasty asset. The good news is that Rivers will not always throw 33% of his passes to Gordon.

I dumped him yesterday morning.  With Allen and Gordon healthy, he's a third option at best, but you still have to mix in Henry, Gates, Benjamin, and now  M Williams.  He's got enough talent to have a nice week at some point (NE maybe?), but I don't think he's viable outside of best ball formats right now.

He gone this week.  Better WRs coming into the fold (well, Williams is an assumption).  Need the roster spot for something worth it.

I agree with you, but assuming ~300 players are rostered (guessing 12x25), I'd have a very, very hard time dropping him. I own him nowhere, but would gladly scoop him up if he was dropped. Well, I can't say gladly... just realized he's a restricted FA next year, so he'll possibly languish for 1.5 more years on the bench since I don't see anything changing (Benjamin, Allen, Henry will all be around next year). But he's still talented and young. Has to be a top 300 dynasty asset. The good news is that Rivers will not always throw 33% of his passes to Gordon.
The league I was referencing is a 12x24 league in which 101 WRs are rostered. I think it is obvious he is a top 100 dynasty WR, but roster dynamics come into play that limit the number of unstartable players that can be carried. It is unlikely I will cut him, but it is at least possible... which is not something I expected entering the season.

As for your last sentence, that is true, but consider these splits on the season to date (all numbers from PFR):

• 223 total targets
  • 60 targets (27%) for RBs
  • 49 targets (22%) for TEs
  • 61 targets (27%) for Allen
  • ...leaving just 53 targets (24%) for all other WRs, including Tyrell, Mike Williams, Benjamin, and Inman
The Chargers passing offense is on pace for 595 pass attempts. Scaling those numbers mean all WRs other than Allen must split just 141 targets.

If Allen stays healthy all year he is on pace for 163 targets.

I am guessing that is a bit higher than he ends up, but maybe not by much.

22/322/1 on 36 targets through 8 games. Worse, he has 6/84/0 on 12 targets over the last 4 games, and he has a fumble and several bad plays over that same span. Against the Pats, he did all of the following:

1. Ran a bad route down the left sideline that caused him to run out of bounds before catching a 42 yard TD, which was of course reversed due to the fact that he ran out of bounds first and was first to touch the ball. Great pass, poor route was 100% on Tyrell.
  2. Ran a bad route combination with Benjamin that led Tyrell to be called for offensive pass interference, negating a 41 yard TD pass to Benjamin. Again, poor execution that was 100% on Tyrell.
  3. Failed to catch a deep pass that was on target, even though he got both hands on it. The defender was there to make it a more difficult catch, but the fundamental problem was that Tyrell caught the ball off center, making it easier for the defender to dislodge as they went to the ground. It was a great example of how Tyrell struggles to use his size and athleticism to win contested catches, something that Vincent Jackson and Malcom Floyd used to do for Rivers with regularity... and something expected to be a strength for Mike Williams.
All of those plays happened on 2 drives in the 3Q. The Chargers ended up punting on both drives. Those plays ended up being crucial to the outcome of the game.

I really think his opportunity with the Chargers has been lost. He failed to capitalize on Mike Williams' injury (and the criminal underutilization of Henry), and will presumably soon be surpassed on the depth chart as a result. They may or may not bring him back next season; it is probably better for his fantasy prospects if they don't, since it seems he would be behind all of Allen, Mike W, Henry, and Gordon.

Just Win Baby said:
So he can drop TD passes on another team?
No I'd like to see him get more targets. The Chargers are a terribly run/coached team. They are 3-6 and just lost to the Jags when Bortles was his usual self. If that's not rock bottom I don't know what is. It's what happens when you don't use your best players correctly. The NFL is a tough league. 

No I'd like to see him get more targets. The Chargers are a terribly run/coached team. They are 3-6 and just lost to the Jags when Bortles was his usual self. If that's not rock bottom I don't know what is. It's what happens when you don't use your best players correctly. The NFL is a tough league. 
I kind of agree with both thoughts.  Tyrell is talented enough that he should be playing regularly and he needs to in order to improve...but he also is making some bad mistakes

^I hate to break it to you, but they aren't going to cut him. He is a RFA after the season. They will keep him as the #3 WR behind Allen and Mike Williams, as well as Henry and the RBs. So his earliest chance at UFA is after the 2018 season, if they only sign him to a 1 year deal after this season. More likely, they sign him to a 2 or 3 year deal, so it will take longer. :shrug:  

Just Win Baby said:
Tyrell just dropped a perfectly thrown 47 yard TD pass. Would have put the Chargers ahead on the road at Jacksonville. He is in danger of getting benched by the Chargers IMO.
Benjamin has been outplaying Tyrell this year. Not sure why Tyrell keeps getting the WR2 snaps.

^I hate to break it to you, but they aren't going to cut him. He is a RFA after the season. They will keep him as the #3 WR behind Allen and Mike Williams, as well as Henry and the RBs. So his earliest chance at UFA is after the 2018 season, if they only sign him to a 1 year deal after this season. More likely, they sign him to a 2 or 3 year deal, so it will take longer. :shrug:  
Sucks to be Tyrell Williams then. When he gets away from this team we'll see if he can improve. Until then he's nothing in FF. The Chargers aren't exactly lighting it up though. Rivers is another year older and they are trying to force feed Keenan Allen who isn't exactly tearing it up this year. They should keep force feeding him it's an explosive combination.........shrug. 

Sucks to be Tyrell Williams then. When he gets away from this team we'll see if he can improve. Until then he's nothing in FF. The Chargers aren't exactly lighting it up though. Rivers is another year older and they are trying to force feed Keenan Allen who isn't exactly tearing it up this year. They should keep force feeding him it's an explosive combination.........shrug. 
He's in on like 90% of snaps and playing with Rivers. Not sure what you expect in free agency. He's dropped more TD passes from Rivers this year than he'll ever see with Bortles or wherever he eventually signs. I thought he was a pretty decent NFL WR2, but I'm beginning to think I was wrong. I think the Chargers would be better off letting Benjamin have those deep shots or letting the other Williams see what he can do. Tyrell might turn out to be a one year wonder. I don't recall all the drops last year, though, so maybe it's just something he needs to work through, but don't blame situation for Tyrell's issues. Tyrell is in a top 10 situation for him. He's never going to get signed to be a team's WR1 and Rivers' is still one of the best pocket passers in the game.

He's in on like 90% of snaps and playing with Rivers. Not sure what you expect in free agency. He's dropped more TD passes from Rivers this year than he'll ever see with Bortles or wherever he eventually signs. I thought he was a pretty decent NFL WR2, but I'm beginning to think I was wrong. I think the Chargers would be better off letting Benjamin have those deep shots or letting the other Williams see what he can do. Tyrell might turn out to be a one year wonder. I don't recall all the drops last year, though, so maybe it's just something he needs to work through, but don't blame situation for Tyrell's issues. Tyrell is in a top 10 situation for him. He's never going to get signed to be a team's WR1 and Rivers' is still one of the best pocket passers in the game.
Yeah they just ignore him and force it to Allen. It's all good they don't have any faith in him. I get it. Would like to see him in a situation where he saw more targets. If he stays on this team he's nothing. If he leaves he has a better shot at being used more. 

Yeah they just ignore him and force it to Allen. It's all good they don't have any faith in him. I get it. Would like to see him in a situation where he saw more targets. If he stays on this team he's nothing. If he leaves he has a better shot at being used more. 
Keenan had 6 targets during regulation and Tyrell had 5. But yeah, on the year it's almost a 2:1 ratio, however Keenan isn't dropping the passes.

Best case scenario, as a restricted FA, is that they put a low tender on him and someone else decides he's worth it. But again, what teams would do that? It won't be Green Bay or Seattle. Realistic landing spots (probably in 2019) that actually sound good are limited, but Carolina would be nice. SF has a bunch of pick they apparently don't value, maybe they'll burn one on him next year. IF they don't sign anyone else AND Jimmy gets re-signed AND Jimmy is a decent QB, then a Shanahan offense might be good for Tyrell. The Jets are a total mess, but they'll be looking for a WR. I still can't believe KC let Maclin go, but they could use Tyrell's services. But nobody wants to see their WR go to JAX or a rebuilding Arizona. Chicago doesn't look very appealing, either, but it seems like a place that might take a chance on him. 75 targets from Rivers > 100 targets from Bortles/Trubisky. 

Keenan had 6 targets during regulation and Tyrell had 5. But yeah, on the year it's almost a 2:1 ratio, however Keenan isn't dropping the passes.

Best case scenario, as a restricted FA, is that they put a low tender on him and someone else decides he's worth it. But again, what teams would do that? It won't be Green Bay or Seattle. Realistic landing spots (probably in 2019) that actually sound good are limited, but Carolina would be nice. SF has a bunch of pick they apparently don't value, maybe they'll burn one on him next year. IF they don't sign anyone else AND Jimmy gets re-signed AND Jimmy is a decent QB, then a Shanahan offense might be good for Tyrell. The Jets are a total mess, but they'll be looking for a WR. I still can't believe KC let Maclin go, but they could use Tyrell's services. But nobody wants to see their WR go to JAX or a rebuilding Arizona. Chicago doesn't look very appealing, either, but it seems like a place that might take a chance on him. 75 targets from Rivers > 100 targets from Bortles/Trubisky. 
75 targets from Trubisky > 75 targets from Rivers. Would love to see Tyrell go to the Bears. Especially if they change the coaching staff. 

Trubisky flashing all over the place yesterday. I would absolutely trade Rivers for Trubisky straight up in dynasty right now. Rivers is only going to decline from here on out and Trubisky is only going to get better. Couple that with the fact River's never really has clicked with Tyrell Williams and yeah give me the 75 targets from Trubisky. 

Redraft Watch - With Mike Williams facing an extended absence and Tyrell actually catching a TD pass (2-3/58/1) maybe give him a look next week vs. Cleveland. Travis Benjamin also becomes a good play as he will be locked in as the 3rd WR.

I was actually kinda hoping Mike Williams would show something decent so the chargers would be more inclined to let tyrell go this offseason but now with him getting hurt again he's probably stuck in LA for another year. Guess he is still gonna be a boom or bust flex/bye week starter for awhile

Tyrell nicely caught the TD yesterday, but he also almost contributed to an interception when he ran the wrong route, allowing his DB to make a play on the ball thrown to another Chargers player. Romo pointed it out on the replay. Typical Tyrell.

Tyrell nicely caught the TD yesterday, but he also almost contributed to an interception when he ran the wrong route, allowing his DB to make a play on the ball thrown to another Chargers player. Romo pointed it out on the replay. Typical Tyrell.
Yeah, you take the good with the bad from him. Was going to lose his job to Mike but now should go back to seeing 90% of the snaps again. If Mike misses multiple weeks the Chargers' fantasy schedule is even friendlier to secondary receivers:

13 - Dec 3, Cle Sun 4:05 pm

-------FANTASY PLAYOFFS-------

14 - Dec 10, Was Sun 4:05 pm

15 - Dec 16, @KC Sat 8:25 pm

16 - Dec 24 @NYJ Sun 1:00 pm

Yeah, you take the good with the bad from him. Was going to lose his job to Mike but now should go back to seeing 90% of the snaps again. If Mike misses multiple weeks the Chargers' fantasy schedule is even friendlier to secondary receivers:

13 - Dec 3, Cle Sun 4:05 pm

-------FANTASY PLAYOFFS-------

14 - Dec 10, Was Sun 4:05 pm

15 - Dec 16, @KC Sat 8:25 pm

16 - Dec 24 @NYJ Sun 1:00 pm
Mike Williams missed games 1-5. During that time, Tyrell had 17/260/1 receiving on 32 targets, with these PPR game scores: 10.4, 9.4, 3.5, 22.5, 3.2. The 3.5 point game was against KC at home.

I suppose the TD play on Thursday might inspire the team to give him more targets with Mike Williams out (and Inman traded), but the truth is that they should already be giving more targets to Henry.

Users who are viewing this thread