What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Tyrell Williams, DET - 9.22.21 - Concussion - Unlikely To Play Week 3 (2 Viewers)

After looking at it my concern is that the SD offense took a big hit without Allen last year, plus Williams is still no. 3 on the depth chart. I also see more reliance on Woodhead & Gates in the offing. Otoh Inman did very little with his opportunity last year, and Benjamin doesn't seem special to me. I'd love to add him as a flyer but there seems to be a lot of WR sleeper action this year between Fuller, Sharpe, Hogan, Snead, etc., point just being he may be more of a risk in picking him up only to discover he is purely a deep target.

Last edited by a moderator:
If any of the SD wrs is gonna blow up this is the guy I think.  Perfect end of bench high upside wr.  If nothing positive develops in a couple weeks, oh well

I picked him up this waivers period only because I needed to fill the void with Allen going down. But Inman didnt look like anything special last year or so far this year (preseason or game 1), but Williams still wasnt able to beat him out for WR3 now WR2 position. I hope im wrong, but I just dont see the hype on this kid. He has the measurable's but can he put it together. I'd rather be buying Woodhead and Gates over anyone else in that offense.  

After looking at it my concern is that the SD offense took a big hit without Allen last year, plus Williams is still no. 3 on the depth chart. I also see more reliance on Woodhead & Gates in the offing. Otoh Inman did very little with his opportunity last year, and Benjamin doesn't seem special to me. I'd love to add him as a flyer but there seems to be a lot of WR sleeper action this year between Fuller, Sharpe, Hogan, Snead, etc., point just being he may be more of a risk in picking him up only to discover he is purely a deep target.
I'm grappling with the same thing. Concerned that Williams falls flat like Inman or at best, has the occasional big game on a few long receptions.

None of the Fullers, Sharpee, Hogans or Sneads are available in my deep league, so I am looking at a Kerley type with less upside but more predictability.

I'm grappling with the same thing. Concerned that Williams falls flat like Inman or at best, has the occasional big game on a few long receptions.

None of the Fullers, Sharpee, Hogans or Sneads are available in my deep league, so I am looking at a Kerley type with less upside but more predictability.
Agreed, on a bare wire you're better off picking up a guy who might see targets. Hard to predict someone with a TD or long gainer on 5 or less targets is primed for a breakout.

Kerley has had opportunities before and been unable to sustain consistency. i like the Jets WR3 Enunwa and Eli Rogers but not plugging them in until bye weeks begin. 

It's worth rereading this thread from the start, but highlights are that

- he came from a small school last year and was undrafted

- he has great height and measurables (90th percentile SPARQ guy)

- he started out very raw but made a couple big plays in the 2015 preseason and the team kept him on the 53 man roster which is unusual for a raw prospect unless you don't want to lose him

- ended up releasing him/signing him to practice squad, then calling him back up in november last year

- he reportedly made a huge leap in year two 

- had some dominant training camp performances

- got dinged in training camp and was apparently secure enough in his spot that the team rested him

- had two catches for 71 in an ot game where keenan allen was hurt, although by the time that happened, the chargers were up big and trying to protect the lead so they weren't passing downfield much

- earned nicknames like tyrell moss because he's six three and a half, runs a low 4.4 and is an athlete.  He's a little wirey and was so raw coming out that he probably wasn't going to break out fuly on his own this september but with an increased opportunity now he is really intriguing.

Many thanks to the guys who started and updated this thread along the way 

Nice post. and props to the dynasty guys for putting him on the radar screen. I am on board as of this AM. That talent was always there, but not the opp. I remember catching K. Allen lightning in a bottle his rookie season, Bryant and Gordon breakouts. This smells very similar to me as opps are wide open now and he has already shown signs with limited opps/targets.

High end talent with size/speed combo very similar to M. Bryant. Now with K. Allen on IR opportunity is going to open the door for that talent. He has the raw SPARQ ability, just needed to refine technique his rookie year. Hopefully he has done so or he will be only a one trick pony. I read a few articles that he has actually turned in unofficial sub 4.4 speeds (4.33 & 4.38) and if you look at that video posted above you can see he outran the angle the defender was taking which means the defender was surprised by or miscalculated how fast he was moving/accelerating on that crossing route, which indicates this speed translates to the field even with pads/helmet and football in hand. So many "fast guys" on paper running track don't bring the same type of speed to the football field with ball in hand so that is a good sign. He has effortless, controlled long stride type speed. I did watch a lot of his college film and he just pulls away from everyone on the field. 

BobbyLayne said:
zamboni said:

Agreed, on a bare wire you're better off picking up a guy who might see targets. Hard to predict someone with a TD or long gainer on 5 or less targets is primed for a breakout.

Kerley has had opportunities before and been unable to sustain consistency. i like the Jets WR3 Enunwa and Eli Rogers but not plugging them in until bye weeks begin. 
I couldn't disagree more with this. If your team is already in position that you need to rely on a guy like Kerley, you probably aren't looking at a good season. Williams is the type of player who could blow up and finish as a WR1. Unlikely yes, but the potential is there. That is exactly who I prefer to pick up late in drafts and early in the season off the waiver wire.

SaintsInDome2006 said:
After looking at it my concern is that the SD offense took a big hit without Allen last year, plus Williams is still no. 3 on the depth chart. I also see more reliance on Woodhead & Gates in the offing. Otoh Inman did very little with his opportunity last year, and Benjamin doesn't seem special to me.
It is worth noting that Inman and Williams played 80% and 60%, respectively, of the snaps in week 1. Yet Williams had 5 targets to Inman's 3. Both of their snap counts should go up, but Williams' obviously has more room to increase, and he already got more targets.

I snagged him a couple weeks ago, am starting him this week in a deeper league as my wr 4 assuming this game will be an absolute shootout

Just watched SSND's Williams cutups from week 1. This dude was inches away from two TDs last week. First one defender made a great play to deflect a corner TD at the last second. The second one, Williams was streaking up the sideline with only about 20 yards of green and a jukeable safety remaining when the corner barely pushed him out. 

He hits those TDs and we're looking at a line of 3-100-2 and the #1 waiver pickup this week, easily, with Keenan out.

All of that might mean nothing. Or it might mean everything.

http://www.boltsfromtheblue.com/2016/8/8/12407284/chargers-training-camp-notes-tyrell-williams-is-a-terror

Tyrell Williams did his best TO impression today looking almost unstoppable catching 3 TDs in practice plus he put a little stank on it too. In 1-on-1 drills today he was matched up with CB Casey Hayward and Hayward ended up getting the incompletion on tight coverage. Williams then rolled his finger around to signal to go again and said something to the effect of "run it back." Hayward didn't hear Williams and was walking back to the sideline when a coach yelled out "Casey, Tyrell wants to go again." Hayward swings around points at his chest and runs to go at it again. The result of that play was a TD that left Hayward standing still. Here it is (you might have to view in on Vine):

As an encore, to end 11-on-11's Tyrell Williams caught back-to-back TD passes to end the session. That's not even including all the other catches Williams racked up today. Excellent.

http://www.boltsfromtheblue.com/2016/8/6/12395666/five-takeaways-from-chargers-fanfest-2016

Tyrell Williams is the real deal; period, the end.  The man some have nicknamed "Tyrell Moss" had his best play in 11-on-11 when he stretched Jason Verrett vertically down the near sideline and split #22 and Addae for a catch on a perfectly thrown jump ball from Rivers.  He has arguably been the story of camp and should provide some big play ability this season.  The man just stands out no matter who is matched up with.
This post is from august 11th.  I'm a sucker for stuff like this.  Not beating guys in practice, where he gets to face the chargers defense every day.  It's the confidence in that first story.  A small school udfa who got cut to the practice squad as a rookie should be thinking about his job.  That was a big gamble.  It's not just that he was confident enough to say play it again, or that he was good enough to win.  It's not even that he wanted to improve.  It's that he must have been doing well enough this summer that he felt confident enough to tell the coaches run it again, and they felt he was enough of a prioity to break the practice rhythm and do it again.  At the time he was ostensibly behind allen, benjamin, stevie, and inman, and he wasn't afraid at all and the coaches thought he was worth the extra time.  Him scoring a td in practice means nothing to me - everyone should do that at some point. Getting positive reviews or a cool nickname sounds good but everyone gets good press in early august.

This seems more tangible to me, like the story where michael thomas and brees did a sight adjustment thry had never discussed on a play they had never run but they made eye contact and brees threw it to him and he was there.  That stuff sticks with me.

This dude was inches away from two TDs last week. First one defender made a great play to deflect a corner TD at the last second.
I disagree. On the fade route, the defender did make a nice play, but Williams ran a poor route and would have landed out of bounds if he made the catch. That was presumably his inexperience showing.

This post is from august 11th.  I'm a sucker for stuff like this.  Not beating guys in practice, where he gets to face the chargers defense every day.  It's the confidence in that first story.  A small school udfa who got cut to the practice squad as a rookie should be thinking about his job.  That was a big gamble.  It's not just that he was confident enough to say play it again, or that he was good enough to win.  It's not even that he wanted to improve.  It's that he must have been doing well enough this summer that he felt confident enough to tell the coaches run it again, and they felt he was enough of a prioity to break the practice rhythm and do it again.  At the time he was ostensibly behind allen, benjamin, stevie, and inman, and he wasn't afraid at all and the coaches thought he was worth the extra time.  Him scoring a td in practice means nothing to me - everyone should do that at some point. Getting positive reviews or a cool nickname sounds good but everyone gets good press in early august.

This seems more tangible to me, like the story where michael thomas and brees did a sight adjustment thry had never discussed on a play they had never run but they made eye contact and brees threw it to him and he was there.  That stuff sticks with me.
And those stories were coming out almost every day throughout training camp.

I disagree. On the fade route, the defender did make a nice play, but Williams ran a poor route and would have landed out of bounds if he made the catch. That was presumably his inexperience showing.
Yup, you are right. I missed his front foot landing out of bounds upon first watch. It was close, though.

Just watched SSND's Williams cutups from week 1. This dude was inches away from two TDs last week. First one defender made a great play to deflect a corner TD at the last second. The second one, Williams was streaking up the sideline with only about 20 yards of green and a jukeable safety remaining when the corner barely pushed him out. 

He hits those TDs and we're looking at a line of 3-100-2 and the #1 waiver pickup this week, easily, with Keenan out.

I just watched the cutups too.  I liked that he was targeted on a variety of routes inlcuding the play in the RZ.  And a Go route where it looked like he got behind a pretty good corner in Marcus Peters.  On his second catch he did a good job of getting a little extra depth behind the defender in the zone.

If he can improve on the little things and get his timing, trust, etc. down with Rivers he can be a significant FF asset.  Williams has replaced Tyrelle Pryor as my WR crush for the week and suddenly has a situation that looks very promising.  I'm aboard the train to see if he can capitalize.

Last edited by a moderator:
I couldn't disagree more with this. If your team is already in position that you need to rely on a guy like Kerley, you probably aren't looking at a good season. Williams is the type of player who could blow up and finish as a WR1. Unlikely yes, but the potential is there. That is exactly who I prefer to pick up late in drafts and early in the season off the waiver wire.

This guy was already on everybody's sleeper list and was slated for a possible breakout role in the slot after Johnson went down. That was before anyone could even conceive of a season-ending injury to Allen in week 1. 

Allen owner here, I grabbed him for $10 and I'm happy even if he's on the bench for now.

Tex

I think he has the talent. Now he has the opportunity. I think you need to pick him up if he's out there in your leagues. He's got way more upside than a shlub like Robert Woods. The only problem here is that I drafted him in every league I'm in, so the gooch is super on.

Am I crazy to consider dropping Tyler Lockett (redraft, 10-team, 0.5ppr, return yardage league) for Tyrell Williams?

Lockett is way safer, but he's my WR5 (start 3) and I'm drooling over TWill's upside right now.

Who is the better Ty???

Not just number 1 add but a shoot your entire ropey wad on him type pickup. I've added and I'm crossing my fingers this works out like Keenan Allen did for me a years ago when Malcom was hurt.

We obviously couldn't ask for much more in terms of an opportunity. If the talent is as good as we hoped, it will show through now. 

The word definitely seems to be out now- I've had a couple of offers and numerous feelers for Williams this week in my dynasty leagues. 

We obviously couldn't ask for much more in terms of an opportunity. If the talent is as good as we hoped, it will show through now. 

The word definitely seems to be out now- I've had a couple of offers and numerous feelers for Williams this week in my dynasty leagues. 
Sure feels like writers for RW are reading along here sometimes.

Philip Rivers talked up second-year WR Tyrell Williams as a player the Chargers "need to catch a bunch of balls this year."

"We need him to catch a bunch of balls this year — a bunch of balls and have some huge days and big gains," said Rivers. At 6-foot-4, 204 with 4.43 speed, the Chargers could look to Williams to fill the old Malcom Floyd role as Travis Benjamin and Dontrelle Inman run shorter routes to help compensate for Keenan Allen's loss. Williams needs to be owned in all Dynasty leagues and is worth a long re-draft look, as well. Allen was headed for a surefire 150-plus-target season, clearing a ton of opportunity for San Diego's remaining pass catchers.

Source: Michael Gehlken on Twitter

After trading for L. Bell and having to adjust my lineup I'm likely starting him at the flex spot this week.  It's between him and M. Floyd but since I also have Fitzgerald I'm pretty certain that Ty will be in the starting lineup. 

Scared money don't make money.  Let's go!

Picked him up as a free agent after the Allen owner failed to make a waiver claim for him. I'm tempted to start him but he's currently not in my lineup. I could be swayed in the next couple days though......never know.

I have a choice in my PPR League....pick up Eli Rogers [from Pittburgh] who had 7 targets [6 catches] and 59 yards and 1 TD or Tyrell Williams....not an easy choice to consider.

Thoughts/Opinions either way [objectively of course whether you own Williams or not]. Thanks guys!

I have a choice in my PPR League....pick up Eli Rogers [from Pittburgh] who had 7 targets [6 catches] and 59 yards and 1 TD or Tyrell Williams....not an easy choice to consider.

Thoughts/Opinions either way [objectively of course whether you own Williams or not]. Thanks guys!
Depends on your team. Rogers will probably be more consistent, but his upside is capped as long as Brown is healthy. Williams is probably more of a risk, but the reward could be bigger as he only has to contend with the solid but nothing special (and diminutive) Benjamin.

Depends on your team. Rogers will probably be more consistent, but his upside is capped as long as Brown is healthy. Williams is probably more of a risk, but the reward could be bigger as he only has to contend with the solid but nothing special (and diminutive) Benjamin.
It is such a hard decision to choose between the 2 receivers. On one hand...Antonio Brown will draw a lot of attention and Williams is replacing the #1WR on the Charges [in Keenan Allen] but will have Gates, Woodhead, Gordon and Travis Benjamin to keep them honest. Then...I look at who has the worst defense of the 2 teams [Charges or Steelers]. Common sense wise...who ever has the worst defense.....their respective offenses will have to throw more which means more "probability" of greater PPR points. If that is the case....then the nod goes to Tyrell Williams as [I believe] the Chargers have worse of a defense than the Steelers....but that is open to debate obviously.

Thoughts?

If your team is in need of a higher floor guy, choose Eli over Tyrell.  I like the E. Sanders comparison above. Steady but not spectacular....although will have his

If you need a High Ceiling guy, Tyrell seems to be the man. Although the bust factor is there. I'm thinking DeSean Jackson numbers. a few 25+ point games with an equal amount of 6 point games.

I may be way off, but given how the offense really fell off last year when Allen went down (and with Woodhead/Gordon/Gates/Stevie Johnson/Inman in the fold), it seems like there is a key opportunity for someone else to emerge from there. Benjamin is clearly an upgrade over Stevie, but I don't see him as a difference maker. That leaves Williams, if he's up to the task. We'll see.

Users who are viewing this thread