What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Tyrell Williams, DET - 9.22.21 - Concussion - Unlikely To Play Week 3 (1 Viewer)

SD passing offense #### the bed last year after Allen went down
Apples and oranges so far. Allen missed the last 8 games of the season, but during that same span:

Original #3 WR Stevie, who was bumped to #1 WR with Allen's injury, missed 4 games and wasn't 100% in the games he played.
#2 WR Floyd missed 1 game and effectively another, since he was hurt on his first target.
#4 WR Inman, who was bumped up with the other injuries, missed 1 game.
#1 RB Gordon missed 2 games.
Most importantly, the starting OL missed 22 games and played at less than 100% in many others.

The OL injuries had more of an effect than the loss of Allen last year.

A lot of hype for this guy.

I picked him him after losing Keenan, but I fear a 2 catch for 9 yards game coming.

And silence follows.

He had 2 catches last week.......... for 71 yards.

He had 2 catches last year........ for 90 yards.

Does this guy even have a floor?

Starting with confidence at WR3.
yeah I was going to say you missed a zero when he said 2-9 yards......meh he could fall flat too. I more worried about the trust Rivers has or doesn't in Tyrell. No trust and he will be ignored.

yeah I was going to say you missed a zero when he said 2-9 yards......meh he could fall flat too. I more worried about the trust Rivers has or doesn't in Tyrell. No trust and he will be ignored.
Whisenhunt had good things to say about him breaking down that 3rd and long pass he turned into a "big chunk play"...

http://www.chargers.com/video/2016/09/14/xs-and-os-good-sign-tyrell-williams

...and, Rivers seems to be high on the kid...

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/news/tyrell-williams-chargers-wide-receiver-western-oregon-keenan-allen-injury-fantasy-football/fjbqwlqszc911rp2nldh2hxpf

I dunno...OC and QB saying good things, opportunity arises with Allen's injury...I'm liking having this guy on my roster right now.

Yeah I fall for these high ceiling guys all the time and they never work out so I'm not going to argue that it's likely but the opportunity is there.
me too.  i stashed this kid on my dynasty teams last year.  time to dust him off and plug him in my line up.  i'd rather him bomb in my line up then blow up on my bench.  roll the dice.

Just posted this in the Chargers game thread:

Rivers was not happy with Tyrell Williams on that play... he needed to cut outside along the goal line and instead drifted into the end zone, which caused Rivers to hold the ball longer and led to the fumble. That's one of the outcomes of losing Allen and Woodhead. More snaps for guys who are inexperienced and lack the same chemistry with Rivers.

Rivers was not happy with Tyrell Williams on that play... he needed to cut outside along the goal line and instead drifted into the end zone, which caused Rivers to hold the ball longer and led to the fumble. That's one of the outcomes of losing Allen and Woodhead. More snaps for guys who are inexperienced and lack the same chemistry with Rivers.
Exactly what you don't want to see. No trust means no targets. Ugh

99% sure that wasn't Williams. If I remember correctly Williams was lined up at the bottoms and Rivers was looking to the other side of the field. I think he was looking at #15

99% sure that wasn't Williams. If I remember correctly Williams was lined up at the bottoms and Rivers was looking to the other side of the field. I think he was looking at #15
I watched the replay several times to confirm. It was Williams at the top, Inman at the bottom.

Good thing is this stuff can be taught.

Even though Benjamin had the much bigger game, I like the fact that Williams tied with Benjamin for the team lead in targets yesterday with 6. 

Yeah, likely in for Sanders. Question: Is SD's offense really that good, or is Jax's D just that bad? (Of course, given that they're playing the Colts, does it really matter?)

Yeah, likely in for Sanders. Question: Is SD's offense really that good, or is Jax's D just that bad? (Of course, given that they're playing the Colts, does it really matter?)
I thought it was the Jacksonville offense that was leaving the defense hanging out to dry. I think the bigger deal though is that San Diego's defense is not good enough keep them out of shootouts making all players playable.

I just scooped up Williams Sunday morning after a little research here hoping to unearth a gem without using a waiver pick. I think I did just that. Now I need to try to go wiggle him out of the hands of another dynasty owner before the value gets too inflated.

Just think if he had ran the right route in the red zone......he have had a 2 TD day and this thread would be going crazy......

In addition to the red zone play I posted about during yesterday's game, there was another play where Rivers targeted him and he should have stopped his route but didn't, which resulted in the ball being thrown behind him; the announcers commented that Rivers placed it where he did to avoid leading Williams into a big hit. And last week, he ran a poor fade route in the red zone; a better route could have resulted in a TD.

So he has 5/132/1 in 2 games on 11 targets... but probably could have had 8/155/3 on 12 targets if he was just a bit more polished. Also, 3 of his 11 targets have been deep targets, and none have connected. But we know some of those will hit eventually, providing more big plays. Like in the final game of last season, when the first target of Williams' career was an 80 yard TD.

These things illustrate that, while he has already been good this season, he is really close to a bigger breakthrough. :thumbup:

The upside here is huge... 

Tyrell really pops off the screen when he had the ball in his hands.  If he can build rapport with Rivers this is a potential dynasty steal. 

Huge and fast, playing with a good QB...  

San Diego's offense is already a wasteland.  The target vacuum is about to ensue.  Williams couldn't ask for a better opportunity in that the #1 is injured, the #2 is not a "#1 type" of WR.

He's probably going to have some bad weeks and Rivers is going to yell at him a lot, but he has all year to earn a job,

Had a game that was a little deceiving. Led the team in targets and had 2 Red zone targets. Rivers threw the second one to late or he would have walked in for TD. Also if Hunter Henry doesn't fumble Rivers was going to let a couple fly deep to him. On the play that Hunter fumbled Rivers looked to Williams first and came really close to letting it fly it seemed........

I also saw Rivers audible out of a play and look at Williams. Then it was a quick look to Williams on a slant. They seem to be building some trust.......I'm optimistic for the rest of the year.

Good post ^

He definitely grew into the game as it progressed. Towards the end Rivers was trying to involve him as much as possible. I like that he's being used in a variety of ways - shorter passing infield on those slant routes, and some deeper stuff as well. 

Next week he has NO as well which could be interesting. 

He looked decent yesterday, albeit against the Colts, but the Colts defense looked better yesterday than they have the first 2 weeks with some of their secondary back. He wasnt involved at all in the first half, which is kind of worrisome, but the Chargers offense looked out of sync all around in the first half. They did a better job in the 2nd. As soon as he got involved in the 2nd half, he was targeted often after that. 

It was nice to see he could run slants effectively, not just crossing routes. Could become PPR gold if Rivers starts throwing to him during an entire game like he did in that last quarter. We know he can go deep and has tackle breaking ability with speed.

He looked decent yesterday, albeit against the Colts, but the Colts defense looked better yesterday than they have the first 2 weeks with some of their secondary back. He wasnt involved at all in the first half, which is kind of worrisome, but the Chargers offense looked out of sync all around in the first half. They did a better job in the 2nd. As soon as he got involved in the 2nd half, he was targeted often after that. 
Being down Gates, Allen and Woodhead would tend to make the Chargers' offense look out of sync. Williams would really benefit from Gates playing, should open up more stuff for him. Even though he's ancient, Gates still draws a decent amount of attention. Henry is just a guy, the D doesn't have to account for him like they do Gates.

I'm currently starting him over Cooks. Could change my mind......

Last edited by a moderator:
Chargersguys, there's a boatload of you watching this game. Your input is sorely needed. What in the Sam Hill is going on with our young superstar?

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread